Who is tanking for Victor?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Re: Who is tanking for Victor? 

Post#81 » by Pointgod » Thu May 19, 2022 1:16 pm

A lot of teams are going to sit for Vic
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,783

Post#82 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 19, 2022 2:13 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:
Can't really compare these. Nobody said Curry and Giannis had generational talent as teens--just look at their draft slots. They had raw potential that they masterfully cultivated. This guy doesn't look that different to me from all the other seven-foot beanpoles who canned a few Youtube jumpers and were called unicorns.

That's what I'm saying....lol

Nah, I bag on all those dudes, because it's always stiffs doing it against high schoolers. Victor finished his professional season on a tear at 18. He might not be LeBron or whatever talent, but he's legitimately showed amazing passing and shooting talent already, and he's a 7'3 defensive monster. He's clearly a lot taller and longer than other giants like Gobert.

Y'all gonna learn that production against pros is different than dunking on high schoolers in AAU... one day.

Guy already plays on Euroleague team, and we seriously compare him to 7'6 guy playing in a highschool game? I know his numbers really really sucked right now and hes a big project, but if you watch what hes capable of, and then watch the highlight posted by haunted, and you seriously dont see much of a difference, you are just an insanely bad at scouting this game, like its a complete credibility killer.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#83 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Swish1906 wrote:Mike Schmitz telling pretty much during the entire 17-18 season that he is a generational player and should be the 1st pick. Same Mike Schmitz who us following Victors career since years

Swish1906 wrote:Yeah i mean whats the point of trusting someone like Mike Schmitz when you can decide for yourself after watching a few minutes of youtube huh

I don't give Mike Schmitz much credit for saying Luka would be good. Anyone that watched him him play in Europe and wasn't being clownish knew he would be good, and that he would have dominated NCAA in an extreme fashion. If anything, Schmitz's comments about Luka were very mild. He was actually wrong on Luka too, because he seemed to be implying just that he could be the best player in the draft eventually. When a correct assessment would have been that Luka going to the Mavs was the craziest thing since Jordan went third.

And besides that, as I have followed his comments on European draft prospects over the years, he seems wrong most of the time. He's definitely better than Givony though.

This doesn't have any bearing on whether Wembanyama will be good or not. Just that Mike Schmitz most definitely is not some expert on these European prospects.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,032

Post#84 » by Capn'O » Thu May 19, 2022 8:21 pm

The Moose wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Who are the last generational talents? Lebron, Steph and Giannis. This kid is not one of them

nobody called Curry or Giannis generational talent before the draft

Lebron was considered to be, and he delivered. Luka depending on who you asked was considered to be as well

I would also say Luka. Zion is also that level of talent.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:23 pm

Harry Garris wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. A 17 year old kid is going to fill out physically as he gets older. And even if he doesn't he's so tall and long that he'll be able to figure out how to still compete for rebounds and protect the rim even if he doesn't have the greatest center of gravity.

Wembanyama is actually 18.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#86 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 19, 2022 9:43 pm

Dude looks legit defensively, but I don't see anything from him on offense. His shot isn't broken, but it's slow and doesn't go in. He's too weak to score down low or set a screen to roll.

Handles and vision are above average for a 7'4" guy and he does move rather smooth for that size as well, so the potential is obviously there on offense, it's just nowhere close right now.

He may have chicken legs, but at least his shoulders are a fair bit broader than Chet Holmgren's, so I think he has a decent shot at filling out his upper body.

Not enough information to slot him on a draft board yet.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#87 » by DrCoach » Thu May 19, 2022 10:27 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Who are the last generational talents? Lebron, Steph and Giannis. This kid is not one of them

Umm, this guy named Luka is pretty good
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#88 » by basketballRob » Thu May 19, 2022 11:17 pm

shotsquatch wrote:The image of this kid banging with Embiid is cracking me up. That being said, it doesn't really matter if Victor gets pushed around, because he covers so much ground with his length. There's a few clips of him recovering to contest perimeter shots where it looks like his feet are in the paint while his arms reach all the way to the arc :o
https://youtu.be/Y2AyVZklyiA

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#89 » by Marty McFly » Fri May 20, 2022 2:44 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:Victor looks nice, but his stats aren't that brilliant.

He is a 9.4 PTS/5.1 REB/0.8 AST/1.8 BLK/1.8 TOV on 47/26/60% splits. Obviously productive for such a young player in the French league, but he isn't some savant on offense.

think abt him as giannis level project. no ones going to spend number 1 pick let alone tank for 2 yrs for this guy.
hes not even close to doncic/lebron level prospect to generate this hype. hes built like gobert which is really bad players like those dont last long.

if Gobert had Wembenaya's offensive instincts he'd be a perennial MVP candidate every year.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Post#90 » by Dominator83 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:06 am

Don't count out my Bulls! I think they may end up being a tanker by accident next year.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#91 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri May 20, 2022 3:07 am

cjmcallist wrote:Don't know about Wembanyana, but OKC will likely be in the hunt for another top pick.

Future OKC front line of Chet, Poku and Wembanyana?
Be worth watching on all sorts of levels.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:02 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Thats just NBA and Vlade being stupid. What Luka did in Europe, hasnt been, and probably never gonna be replicated by any other 18 year old, ever.

I mean Victor is generational, and he averaged 14 points in FIBA U19 as 17 year old. When Lukas was 17 years old, he averaged 14 points in Mens Eurobasket. The difference between FIBA U19 and Eurobasket is similar as the difference between NCAA and NBA... Luka was so ahead of the curve its insane, he really was a wonderking. Victor is not a wonderkind, he just has amazing body and talent, but he is not wonderkind that Luka was.

Luka was 18 at that time.

tria wrote:Not this again. Anyone watching basketball in Europe and what was Dončič doing there knew he was legit. I mean that series turnaround against Panathinaikos under his leadership downright cemented his excellence under pressure when he was freaking 18. I mean 18 year old gets focused on and beaten by a team of adults in an extremely hostile environment, 2 days later adapts and wins. Find a video how games look like in Athens and you will know why he is laughing all the time now in NBA game 7. But no, Rubio and Euroleague bums Bender and Hezonja had to be brought up for comparison by people that saw one highlight video.

So i hope people will start to listen to those that actually watch European games and not one Youtube highlight video experts. When next surefire player will emerge, i'm sure you will be told by posters like UcanUwill. But chance of that happening is very low as it happened like twice in 50 years, Luka and Petrović.

Luka was 19 at that time, not 18.

Drazen Petrovic isn't a real comparison for Luka as teenage players. Luka was way better than Petrovic was at that age of 19. There were also similar European players to Petrovic at age 19-20, like Arvydas Sabonis and Modestas Paulaskas. Luka, however, is one of a kind in history, in terms of how good he was at age 19, as a teenager. It didn't happen twice in 50 years, it happened once in 60 years.

Petrovic was playing in the FIBA Korac Cup, the third level European league at age 19.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#93 » by TheProfessor » Fri May 20, 2022 3:50 pm

Capn'O wrote:
The Moose wrote:

nobody called Curry or Giannis generational talent before the draft

Lebron was considered to be, and he delivered. Luka depending on who you asked was considered to be as well

I would also say Luka. Zion is also that level of talent.

KD has to be included here too.

Return to The General Board