Who is tanking for Victor?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Re: Who is tanking for Victor? 

Post#41 » by RiRuHoops » Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Oladipo?

Claver
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#42 » by JRoy » Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I wouldn't put it past the Blazers to just go full tank this summer. Trade Dame, let Nurk walk, release Hart and Bledsoe, resign Simons on a cheap deal, use the 7th pick and just go full out awful next year from the jump.

Works for me. I don’t think there is a viable path toward contention.

Rebuild through the draft and overpay for mediocre forwards.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,793

Post#43 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed May 18, 2022 6:16 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Who are the last generational talents? Lebron, Steph and Giannis. This kid is not one of them

Can't really compare these. Nobody said Curry and Giannis had generational talent as teens--just look at their draft slots. They had raw potential that they masterfully cultivated. This guy doesn't look that different to me from all the other seven-foot beanpoles who canned a few Youtube jumpers and were called unicorns.

+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,473

Post#44 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:29 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Who are the last generational talents? Lebron, Steph and Giannis. This kid is not one of them

Can't really compare these. Nobody said Curry and Giannis had generational talent as teens--just look at their draft slots. They had raw potential that they masterfully cultivated. This guy doesn't look that different to me from all the other seven-foot beanpoles who canned a few Youtube jumpers and were called unicorns.

That's what I'm saying....lol
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,988

Post#45 » by Richard4444 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:35 pm

I do not think Portland will tank unless Lillard is really washed. I expected Portland to be bold in the trade market to get a forward like Grant in addition to keeping Nurkic and Simmons.
Lillard/Simons
Hart/
Little/Winslow
Grant/Watford
Nurkic/
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#46 » by Swish1906 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:36 pm

Yeah i mean whats the point of trusting someone like Mike Schmitz when you can decide for yourself after watching a few minutes of youtube huh
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,988

Post#47 » by Richard4444 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:38 pm

Sacramento should be tired of all the tanking. They get an experienced Sabonis in addition to keeping Fox for a reason.
Fox/Davion
Davis/DiVicenzo
Barnes
Rookie/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#48 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed May 18, 2022 6:39 pm

Dude has to put on a lot more weight/muscle mass
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#49 » by TheAlchemist » Wed May 18, 2022 6:47 pm

Hope the Raptors just straight up trade everyone and give Scottie the ball. We'll be bad and hopefully land one of these guys.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#50 » by DusterBuster » Wed May 18, 2022 8:02 pm

JRoy wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I wouldn't put it past the Blazers to just go full tank this summer. Trade Dame, let Nurk walk, release Hart and Bledsoe, resign Simons on a cheap deal, use the 7th pick and just go full out awful next year from the jump.

Works for me. I don’t think there is a viable path toward contention.

Rebuild through the draft and overpay for mediocre forwards.

I'm with you. I think the Blazers last chance at a "fast" retool to contend next year went out the window with the Lottery. Any moves left at this point seem more like tweaks around the edges types of moves that won't get the Blazers where they need to be.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,782

Post#51 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 18, 2022 8:18 pm

naabzor wrote:This guy is gonna be the next Bargnani, book it.

This comparison makes no sense. How is he next Bargnani haha?

HayKee wrote:

Hi, I found this comment I made before end phase of Euroleague regular season finish. This comment was made before Victor found his shot, I still think expecting fadeaways and Durant moves from him is silly, but in last phase of the season his shooting numbers greatly improved. I still wouldnt expect offensive superstar, but his defense is so good its crazy, He really is Bill Russell 2.0 of the prospect. He really blows any defensive prospect I have ever seen out of the water.

How I responded to a question what made Victor a good prospect.

UcanUwill wrote:It is his insane length and defensive instincs, He is so long and such a good shot blocker rim protector, he shaterred FIBA all time per minute shot blocking record in past years U19, that including every FIBA tournament that ever existed. I wouldn't call him very switchy, but he is so long that he can be further away from guard and still have hand in his face, and if attacker blows by him, which happens, his arms still allow to block lay ups and floaters from behind or deflect passes. His length allows him be late and still contest the shot.

He also has good passing instincts and good looking shooting mechanics, he is projected to be able to shoot the 3 (22% this season, so its a work in progress). But at this point, hes been so bad debuting at higher level, that even very very optimistic educated prognosis for him, if everything pans out, he can be one of those very rare players who could average under 14 points per game and still be MVP candidate. He is like Bill Russell 2.0 (hopefully). Of course he had clips of him crossing up, and shooting fadeaways against kids, so 13 year olds get exited and call him Durant Gobert hybrid, but thats more of the Thon Maker highschool tape hype rather than something real. What we can hope is 7'4 guy who is amazing shot blocker and can hit a shot in pick and pop situations.

Of course, a lot of his problems is that he just doesnt have adult body right now. If he gains good weight and gets stronger, he can be good finisher, and a lot of his problems will go away. This is not the guy who just flat out slow and cant jump over newspaper and you just cant do anything about it, Wembanyama is just raw, his body is insane raw, his shooting raw, but that can be fixed.

He is bad tho. He cant box out anyone, his rebounding rate is pretty bad, ad of course 27FG% and 22 3PT%, and he only shoots wide open shots. He just so unready, if think he gets playing time because his team is from France, hes a local kid, they arent competing, and Tony Parker and his brother whos the coach, are probably just trying to be cute. In other marker, we would probably be looking at Pokusevski or Dragan Bender situation - DNP-CD all season long.

Huge huge project, but hey, he looked great in U19 being 2 years younger than most players. His scoring was still below average or average at best, which is not great sign AT ALL, considering guys like Jeremy Lamb, Dzanan Musa, Oumar Ballo and Dario Saric were unstoppable there, but man, this kid can block 10 shots in a game and its not even an eyebrow raiser.
ANd yeah, I did made a terribly edited video, and I used words Bill Russell in a title, if you want to see why all that fuss is, give me a view, shilling :lol:

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#52 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed May 18, 2022 8:23 pm

Lalouie wrote:

if you are comparing at the same age, giannis and steph were not considered generational

in the millenium it's lebron and zion.

maybe luka but the overseas camouflaged him. there's also the bias against non-athletic players

Anyone ranked near or behind Marvin Bagley could not have been considered generational at that time. However ill founded that ranking may have been.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,782

Post#53 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 18, 2022 8:35 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

if you are comparing at the same age, giannis and steph were not considered generational

maybe luka but the overseas camouflaged him. there's also the bias against non-athletic players

Anyone ranked near or behind Marvin Bagley could not have been considered generational at that time. However ill founded that ranking may have been.

Thats just NBA and Vlade being stupid. What Luka did in Europe, hasnt been, and probably never gonna be replicated by any other 18 year old, ever.

I mean Victor is generational, and he averaged 14 points in FIBA U19 as 17 year old. When Lukas was 17 years old, he averaged 14 points in Mens Eurobasket. The difference between FIBA U19 and Eurobasket is similar as the difference between NCAA and NBA... Luka was so ahead of the curve its insane, he really was a wonderking. Victor is not a wonderkind, he just has amazing body and talent, but he is not wonderkind that Luka was.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,594

Post#54 » by dc » Wed May 18, 2022 9:07 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:Hope the Raptors just straight up trade everyone and give Scottie the ball. We'll be bad and hopefully land one of these guys.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like the Raps are the type to scrap the still pretty young team they have just for a 10% shot at this guy.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,998

Post#55 » by anotherhomer » Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 pm

i'm not sure if victor is that great.....i mean he has insane potential but that's just it
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Post#56 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 18, 2022 9:28 pm

Dude needs to gain serious weight just to look passable. Skilled as hell though.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#57 » by John Murdoch » Wed May 18, 2022 9:32 pm

Dude just showed up for ur draft lottery..
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
tria
Junior
And1: 757

Post#58 » by tria » Wed May 18, 2022 9:33 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

Not this again. Anyone watching basketball in Europe and what was Dončič doing there knew he was legit. I mean that series turnaround against Panathinaikos under his leadership downright cemented his excellence under pressure when he was freaking 18. I mean 18 year old gets focused on and beaten by a team of adults in an extremely hostile environment, 2 days later adapts and wins. Find a video how games look like in Athens and you will know why he is laughing all the time now in NBA game 7. But no, Rubio and Euroleague bums Bender and Hezonja had to be brought up for comparison by people that saw one highlight video.

So i hope people will start to listen to those that actually watch European games and not one Youtube highlight video experts. When next surefire player will emerge, i'm sure you will be told by posters like UcanUwill. But chance of that happening is very low as it happened like twice in 50 years, Luka and Petrović.
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,530

Post#59 » by shotsquatch » Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 pm

The image of this kid banging with Embiid is cracking me up. That being said, it doesn't really matter if Victor gets pushed around, because he covers so much ground with his length. There's a few clips of him recovering to contest perimeter shots where it looks like his feet are in the paint while his arms reach all the way to the arc :o
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#60 » by Swish1906 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:50 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

Wrong take.

Any, "draft expert" ranking Bagley over Luka wasnt really a draft expert.

Return to The General Board