Why are players allowed to talk to Refs?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Why are players allowed to talk to Refs? 

Post#1 » by Deadpool Raptor » Thu May 19, 2022 3:09 am

Watching the GS/Dal game: why is every jabroni on the floor yelling at the refs at all times?

Luka is flailing and whining, Dray is just screaming in their face from the first possession. Why doesn't the NBA outlaw players talking to the refs while the game is in progress? It should be an auto-tech.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,790

Re: Why are players allowed to talk to Refs? 

Post#2 » by Michael Jordan » Thu May 19, 2022 3:13 am

Perhaps the solution is to give the refs noise-cancelling headphones and force NBA players to either learn sign language or gtfo.
leorn
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#3 » by leorn » Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 am

Fully agree. Players coaches etc. I get zero entertainment out of it. Maybe gives refs stricter rules for performance and show transparency in it. Show the process of when a team files a complaint. Seems pretty straight forward.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#4 » by WolfAddict » Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 am

I don't mind the players talking to the refs. They're adults and as long as it's civil then I don't see a problem with it.

When they start screaming at them though... That **** is just not on.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by Deadpool Raptor » Thu May 19, 2022 3:25 am

leorn wrote:Fully agree. Players coaches etc. I get zero entertainment out of it. Maybe gives refs stricter rules for performance and show transparency in it. Show the process of when a team files a complaint. Seems pretty straight forward.

Not a single reason I can see why it is allowed.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 19, 2022 3:28 am

I've always hated when a player takes his time to get back down the court to complain about a non call. Never once has a ref just stopped the transition play to listen to them, get your ass back on defense.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#7 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:32 am

players give referees insight into things refs are missing and its actually extremely helpful throughout a game. Refereeing is mechanical at the college and pro level, and nba players can abuse those mechanics if refsarent being told something specific is happening. players might be yelling at the refs, but its their job to filter that out and adjust if necessary.

if nobody could talk to the refs james harden would be in the lebron covo for all time greats.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#8 » by Pachinko_ » Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 am

In my mind yelling at refs makes as much sense as someone coming to your desk and yelling at you while you're trying to do your job. These are not millionaires or irreplaceable commodities like the players are, they're just people doing a job.
I would probably last 5 minutes as a ref because I would absolutely yell back, or worse.

Talking to refs different story, talking is fine.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by Deadpool Raptor » Thu May 19, 2022 3:40 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:players give referees insight into things refs are missing and its actually extremely helpful throughout a game. Refereeing is mechanical at the college and pro level, and nba players can abuse those mechanics if refsarent being told something specific is happening. players might be yelling at the refs, but its their job to filter that out and adjust if necessary.

if nobody could talk to the refs james harden would be in the lebron covo for all time greats.

So the NBA is depending on the players to give Refs insight during the game about their opponent? Couldn't they just have a few extra Refs looking at tape?
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#10 » by CS707 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:41 am

They have the ability to stop it any time they want.
Castle Black
Lead Assistant
And1: 13,073

Post#11 » by Castle Black » Thu May 19, 2022 3:52 am

The NBA has become so whiney it’s hard to watch at times. Dudes are yelling at refs after EVERY possession now days. It’s tired and old. I get being upset over missed calls here and there, but it seems like almost every single play one or multiple guys are bitching at the officials.
Gorilla Monsoon
Senior
And1: 1,744

Post#12 » by Gorilla Monsoon » Thu May 19, 2022 3:55 am

Because basketball is a game played and officiated by human beings? The hell do you expect?
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,363

Post#13 » by Patches Perry » Thu May 19, 2022 4:04 am

They tried to do that several years ago but the players called the bluff and didn't really stop enough for it to be resolved, so officials starting getting more lenient again because they didn't want to be throwing players out regularly and stopping the game every few plays.

I saw someone on IG or Tik Tok or somewhere recommend dealing with flops by having a company like Charmin be a sponsor and create some kind of flop/complaining metric that would award the player who does it the most/worst to get the Charmin Soft softest player of the year lol.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,785

Post#14 » by Johnny Fontane » Thu May 19, 2022 4:08 am

Sucks and it’s the same players doing it. Draymond has made a career of screaming in refs faces with no repercussions
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#15 » by Pachinko_ » Thu May 19, 2022 4:09 am

I have no problem with the refs, you have to remember they are selected and trained/retrained and assessed all the time, they are actually the best ones. They don't just "miss" calls, and I don't believe they are crazy people who got together and said "lets all be inconsistent and drive everybody nuts because YOLO bahaha". These are obviously guidelines that they've been given. Guidelines about the playoffs being different, how to ref star players, how to not calling travelling and palming, how much whinging and flopping to tolerate etc.

So I have a problem with the NBA for giving those guidelines. I don't know why they do it, and I don't really care, but they've definitely screwed it up.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by Deadpool Raptor » Thu May 19, 2022 4:10 am

Patches Perry wrote:They tried to do that several years ago but the players called the bluff and didn't really stop enough for it to be resolved, so officials starting getting more lenient again because they didn't want to be throwing players out regularly and stopping the game every few plays.

I saw someone on IG or Tik Tok or somewhere recommend dealing with flops by having a company like Charmin be a sponsor and create some kind of flop/complaining metric that would award the player who does it the most/worst to get the Charmin Soft softest player of the year lol.

Did the NBA try and stop it? Was there a rule? I missed it.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by Deadpool Raptor » Thu May 19, 2022 4:11 am

Gorilla Monsoon wrote:Because basketball is a game played and officiated by human beings? The hell do you expect?

For the players to play basketball and not spend game time screaming at the Refs.
B-easy
Starter
And1: 509

Post#18 » by B-easy » Thu May 19, 2022 4:13 am

If you make it players can't talk to refs I think the refs will perform better.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,363

Post#19 » by Patches Perry » Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 am

Deadpool Raptor wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:They tried to do that several years ago but the players called the bluff and didn't really stop enough for it to be resolved, so officials starting getting more lenient again because they didn't want to be throwing players out regularly and stopping the game every few plays.

Did the NBA try and stop it? Was there a rule? I missed it.

This was before the 2010-2011 season, which is longer ago than I thought but that's what happens when you get old lol.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=5609817
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#20 » by SNPA » Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 am

It’s an intense game. Guys are playing hard. You have to give them at least an initial reaction. Past that, it depends on situation.

Return to The General Board