Better 3&D Player: Klay Thompson or Shane Battier?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Better 3&D?

Battier
19%
Thompson
81%

Total votes: 216

Knightfall
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,047

Re: Better 3&D Player: Klay Thompson or Shane Battier? 

Post#61 » by Knightfall » Fri May 20, 2022 11:02 pm

Battier was a better defender. Very smart had plays for every player in the league was like a defensive coach to other players on the team.

All that said Klays offense is miles away better then Battiers. Making him the easy choice in this conversation and I'm a Battier fan.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#62 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sat May 21, 2022 12:31 am

Wow, Klay has a hater. There’s no great comp for Klay, but probably more of a new-age, wing version of Joe Dumars? Again, not a great comp but about that level of player, with a similar role/impact(even-keeled, top perimeter defender, clutch shooter, could play off the ball, could go on absolutely nuts scoring binges in huge games) but Joe was a 2-1 vs Klay’s 2-3, like he’s shorter and couldn’t shoot quite like Klay but he could do a lot more with the ball. Not from flashy schools, picked too low, classy dudes. Battier was cool but come on.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#63 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sat May 21, 2022 12:31 am

2x
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,916

Post#64 » by CobraCommander » Sat May 21, 2022 1:19 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
baldur wrote:this is disrespectful to Klay.

I’m reading this thinking depending on the day
-Klay was the 1st 2nd or 3rd best player on a 73 win team...
-there were days when he was the best player on championship teams with KD Curry and Dray

But the kicker is
-Klay has scored 37 points in a quarter and Shane Battiers best game ever was 33 points

This is the worse question on REALGM in a while....nothing is more preposterous
I nodded along with all of this until the last sentence. Imran...you might be right, but there are some pretty out there threads floating around...lol

33 is Shane’s best game in nba ever - klay did better in 12 minutes… it’s not hyperbol
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#65 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat May 21, 2022 5:28 am

CobraCommander wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:I’m reading this thinking depending on the day
-Klay was the 1st 2nd or 3rd best player on a 73 win team...
-there were days when he was the best player on championship teams with KD Curry and Dray

But the kicker is
-Klay has scored 37 points in a quarter and Shane Battiers best game ever was 33 points

This is the worse question on REALGM in a while....nothing is more preposterous
I nodded along with all of this until the last sentence. Imran...you might be right, but there are some pretty out there threads floating around...lol

33 is Shane’s best game in nba ever - klay did better in 12 minutes… it’s not hyperbol

Oh, not that. That was completely literal, and an easy way to demonstrate the magnitude of difference. I meant the absolute last sentence, about this being the worst question for a while. This is a bad question.

I just thought it might not quite be the WORST question in a while in RealGM. Pretty sure someone the other day was asking if Giannis had been exposed as a fraud. There are lots of challengers for the worst question crown...!!!
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#66 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat May 21, 2022 5:39 am

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:Wow, Klay has a hater. There’s no great comp for Klay, but probably more of a new-age, wing version of Joe Dumars? Again, not a great comp but about that level of player, with a similar role/impact(even-keeled, top perimeter defender, clutch shooter, could play off the ball, could go on absolutely nuts scoring binges in huge games) but Joe was a 2-1 vs Klay’s 2-3, like he’s shorter and couldn’t shoot quite like Klay but he could do a lot more with the ball. Not from flashy schools, picked too low, classy dudes. Battier was cool but come on.

I'm rolling with Rick Barry as the comp. Not even close to perfect, but I'm sticking with it...lol
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#67 » by giberish » Sat May 21, 2022 9:00 am

FNQ wrote:I guess Klay technically was 3&D, but it feels like underselling what he was to call him that. His level of 3 had as much gravity as Curry. Yes, he's of course the better player than Battier at his peak, no contest there

But it poses an interesting question.. when the Warriors lineup was Curry-Klay-Iguodala-KD-Draymond to close games.. is it possible that Battier for Klay would have made us better? We wouldnt have the need for the special stuff he'd bring to the table, and Battier was definitely a much better defender at is peak.. :dontknow:

With KD it's debatable. Curry + KD give plenty of offense-creation for a 5-man unit.

With the OG death lineup Klay's offense-creation was necessary for it to really work.

People arguing 3 point attempt rate or shooting % aren't really capturing the differences between them. Battier was a classic, effective 3/D role player. Knew how to at least drift to open spots when off the ball. Could make open 3's at a good rate. Moderate release time so you had to stay somewhat close to recover in time. Klay is something different. He's a guy who runs through defenses looking for even a slight separation. He has a crazy fast release so he's open enough to get shots off even when it looks like he's covered. He doesn't get classic assists but he creates open shots for teammates as defenders will hedge away from their man to make sure he stays covered.
Marcus_Shart
Starter
And1: 3,599

Post#68 » by Marcus_Shart » Sat May 21, 2022 9:13 am

I'm gonna have to go with Klay on this. As quirky as he is he seems much more like the type of guy to play D&D than that stereotypical Duke bro Battier. I'm assuming this was a typo and that's what you meant. If not, can I get your guys number?
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#69 » by kuclas » Sat May 21, 2022 12:42 pm

Klay was at various times before his injury a legit top 20-25 nba player.

Klay is a(was a ) legit Two way player. His defense was starting to decline by the 2018 season before his injury. But for his first 5-6 years he was really good on defense.

I don’t even think the two are comparable except on defense.

I think Shane battier closer comparison is to Robert Covington these days. Similar players.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#70 » by gorz » Sat May 21, 2022 1:25 pm

Klay is a a featured offensive player while Shane is the prototypical role player its not a fair comparison. If the question is simply who can play the 3&d role better id say Shane but you could make an argument for klay there. Klay as good as he is/was is a tremendous beneficiary of playing next to Stephen Curry. Had he gone to a different team and was the main guy #1 option from the jump he would be looked at entirely different like andrew wiggins is currently.
warriorschamps
Senior
And1: 593

Post#71 » by warriorschamps » Sat May 21, 2022 1:53 pm

Klay of course. Silly thread.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#72 » by DrCoach » Mon May 23, 2022 4:06 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
DrCoach wrote:I think Klay vs Middleton is the better comparison

I would still have Klay a tier higher, assuming you mean peak.

Klay career PER 16. 4
Khris 16.4

Season Klay 20.8
Khris 21.1
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,413

Post#73 » by Onlytimewilltel » Mon May 23, 2022 4:17 am

baldur wrote:this is disrespectful to Klay.

Seriously, this
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#74 » by mowcrowbar » Mon May 23, 2022 4:18 am

Wang ZhiZhi
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#75 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon May 23, 2022 4:31 am

DrCoach wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
DrCoach wrote:I think Klay vs Middleton is the better comparison

I would still have Klay a tier higher, assuming you mean peak.

Klay career PER 16. 4
Khris 16.4

Season Klay 20.8
Khris 21.1

Yup, fair call. I think there's enough opportunity and role variance that a straight PER comparison isn't as convincing as it could be, but I'll also readily acknowledge that my assessment is subjective. I don't think a different take is ridiculous, by any means.

I potentially overrate Klaus peak based on stats.
Mephariel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,651

Post#76 » by Mephariel » Mon May 23, 2022 4:38 am

Klay.

But maybe Battier is the better answer because Klay is not a 3 & D guy. At his peak, he is just one tier below a superstar.
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,413

Post#77 » by Onlytimewilltel » Mon May 23, 2022 5:12 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I have no idea what game you’re talking about but I’m talking about this one
Melo shot 53.8% when Battier was on the court

https://www.nba.com/stats/vs/#!/?PlayerID=2546&VsPlayerID=2203&Season=2012-13&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=7

Melo also torched him in the playoffs in 2012.

Weird the link screwed up. But yes, he scored 20 of the 50 when shane was on the floor. he shot over 80% when Shane was off the floor.So yeah shane reduced his shooting by about 30%!

He still torched him :lol:

Scored 20 on him and that’s torching? :lol:

Melo is a loser. Shocked the lakers picked up that cancer. You’re pretty much guaranteed no real playoff success with that guy. :lol:

Mr “who me? Haha yo they want me to come off the bench p”
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,770

Post#78 » by GSP » Mon May 23, 2022 5:17 am

ummm WTFFF???????

Crazy how little credit Klay gets. Shane was def a much better defender but this is a weird thread...........one is a star. One is a super role player.

In case ppl have short term memory the Warriors had Steph, Dray, Wiggins, Looney, Poole all last season....but no Klay. Guess how they did last season?
warriorschamps
Senior
And1: 593

Post#79 » by warriorschamps » Mon May 23, 2022 5:34 am

I'm going to do what I've done for many years now. Every time I see a thread trying to downplay Klay I post this. lol

timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#80 » by timO » Mon May 23, 2022 6:50 am

This past 3 years battier by miles, klay is washed and he wasnt anybody special before too.

The bum complains about the 75 list while he doesnt make even top 200

Return to The General Board