Eliminate the Corner 3?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Take Away the Corner 3?

1-Yes, good idea
46%
2-No, bad idea
54%

Total votes: 157

pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Eliminate the Corner 3? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Fri May 20, 2022 1:17 pm

The explosion of the 3 ball has really changed the game. This year, we are seeing half the playoff games quickly become blowouts, due to hot/cold shooting.

What if they just straightened out the arc, and left the 3 equidistant everywhere? This would change the current game A LOT, and help defenses plan against the 3. It would also, hopefully, cause teams to play different styles again-the whole league is very cookie-cutter.

Please vote below
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Re: Eliminate the Corner 3? 

Post#2 » by celticfan42487 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:20 pm

Anything to get variety of styles back. So I support it.

This era has developed clones of every team with each other and it sucks.
Gorilla Monsoon
Senior
And1: 1,744

Post#3 » by Gorilla Monsoon » Fri May 20, 2022 1:23 pm

This board is obsessed with rule changes
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,077

Post#4 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:24 pm

Any widening of the court will just make closing out more difficult at cause more threes to go up with slightly lower percentages. Other negative side effect is that lesser shooters park it in the corner and master that shot. Widening the line means they won’t get played, thus, more three point shooting.

Making the shot harder isn’t going to do anything, the problem is the value of the shot. A better idea is to make it harder to get open threes by killing blatantly illegal screening and making it easier to close out on drivers without a guy flopping with a playing on their hip when they drive
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#5 » by shakes0 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:24 pm

been saying this for a while now. Get ready to get blasted by the scared of change crowd.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#6 » by dlts20 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:31 pm

Here we go with the nonsense again
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Post#7 » by Bolivar » Fri May 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Even the three- point shot regardless of angle is basically a two-point shot these days, this generation of players have shot it throughout their career so much that it's firmly in muscle memory.

You know those times where a player gets contested so much at the three point line (and doesn't do the Harden special for three free throws) that he dribbles a bit forward and then takes an uncontested two-point shot from around 15-20 feet? My immediate thought is "oh, he made space for a tougher shot".
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,506

Post#8 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:36 pm

I'm still at a loss where a league with the suns, warriors, celtics, and heat all playing that we're being told all the teams play the same...they don't.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,376

Post#9 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Anything to get variety of styles back. So I support it.

This era has developed clones of every team with each other and it sucks.

dhsilv2 wrote:I'm still at a loss where a league with the suns, warriors, celtics, and heat all playing that we're being told all the teams play the same...they don't.

Maybe all highlights look the same! :wink:

I'm with you. How could anyone who watched Suns vs. Mavs, Mavs vs. Warriors, Nuggets vs. Warriors, Raps vs. Sixers, Celtics vs. Bucks... walk away with the conclusion that all teams look the same.

I remember when people were very worried about the homogenization of the league. With the rise of Morey ball/Harden ball, some were concerned that every team would have to become a threes and layups machine. But it just never happened. Teams still tend to prioritize high value shots (duhhh), but to me one would have to ignore 90% of what happens in a basketball game to come to the conclusion that teams are too similar. There are very unique teams in this league.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#10 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Fri May 20, 2022 1:53 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:Any widening of the court will just make closing out more difficult at cause more threes to go up with slightly lower percentages. Other negative side effect is that lesser shooters park it in the corner and master that shot. Widening the line means they won’t get played, thus, more three point shooting.

Making the shot harder isn’t going to do anything, the problem is the value of the shot. A better idea is to make it harder to get open threes by killing blatantly illegal screening and making it easier to close out on drivers without a guy flopping with a playing on their hip when they drive

Eliminating the corner three means drawing the 3point line as a true circle ending at the sideline instead of the baseline, not widening the court.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#11 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri May 20, 2022 1:56 pm

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,376

Post#12 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 20, 2022 1:57 pm

The thing that sucks about this idea is that it's not accounting for all the extra consequences this ruling would bring. Making the 3-ball less accessible is one factor this alters, among many:
- Creates a dead zone in the court that completely alters the geometry of the game. Instead of the half-circle shape of offenses/defenses we have right now (and have always had with some variety), we now have this strange T. You'd space out towards above the break 3s, defenders follow you, and everything else would happen in the paint. It wouldn't just eliminate a 5'x5 corner spot, it would make a huge chunk (starting from the corner) this useless part of the court that would only be useful for screening actions into other areas of the floor.
- Total inversion of defenses. The best defense would be funneling shots/offensive players into the corners. The best defenses would yield a bunch of corner 2s. Every team would probably play 3-2 zone, or a 4-1 zone against shooting teams. T ball!

You're kind of creating a new sport by doing this. It would be like turning baseball into cricket. It would change so much more than just "less 3s" (I'm not convinced it would create less 3s).

ps I still think Kirk Goldsberry had the only good idea to fix "sprawl ball" as he calls is. Shrink the key. Make post ups start closer to the basket, make it hard to help in the paint from the perimeter, and consequently open up the midrange.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,619

Post#13 » by Swish1906 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:58 pm

Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:Any widening of the court will just make closing out more difficult at cause more threes to go up with slightly lower percentages. Other negative side effect is that lesser shooters park it in the corner and master that shot. Widening the line means they won’t get played, thus, more three point shooting.

Eliminating the corner three means drawing the 3point line as a true circle ending at the sideline instead of the baseline, not widening the court.

This.

Keep the old 3p line as dotted line for orientation so players are still able to space the floor like they are used to do. Just its now a 2p shot
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#14 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:

This.

Keep the old 3p line as dotted line for orientation so players are still able to space the floor like they are used to do. Just its now a 2p shot

Dotted line means 2.5 points!
DeBrick
Rookie
And1: 1,082

Post#15 » by DeBrick » Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 pm

Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#16 » by Hipster Doofus » Fri May 20, 2022 2:01 pm

PJ Tucker would be out of a job.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#17 » by celtxman » Fri May 20, 2022 2:03 pm

Yes. Don't widen the court just have the 3 point line hit the out of bounds lines on each side and nothing in the corners. The line may be say 6 ft up from the endline. This way 3 pointers still are a part of the game but in better proportion. Defenses would have less ground to cover and shooting % on threes goes down and makes 2 pointers better option. It needs to change
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 929

Post#18 » by liquidswords » Fri May 20, 2022 2:16 pm

Its actually comical if you think about what the other 3 major sports are doing to increase scoring and then we have NBA fans wanting to REDUCE scoring and get back to the 85-80 battles. So bizarre.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#19 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri May 20, 2022 2:18 pm

How about this instead....

Simmons pointed this out in the bubble and I think it was a huge factor and I was kinda hoping the NBA would have noticed it too and made this adjustment.

In the bubble - There were NO fans/camera/etc under the basket.

Players noticed this and they were flying in recklessly with layup attempts. Like attacking the basket at full speed because they knew they had a ton of space to land. They weren't going to end up on top of some camera guy or fan.

They probably do this in practice too.

But game time - there are people who paid 1000's to sit there and TV cameras, reporters are all over.
You have to adjust unless you don't care about running into fans or landing on them or equipment.

Remember they they moved the stancion back when PG13 wrecked himself on it.
So they can adjust and clear space if they really want.

I think they should move those fans back and give players more space to attack and space to land.
I think it made for a better game. Screw the fans and their fancy seats.

I mean landing on a fan cost Rodman a few $$ and games at one time IIRC.
It's a problem all those people under there IMO, clear it out and give players some space.
(and just say it's a safety/covid thing if they want)
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#20 » by Parataxis » Fri May 20, 2022 2:44 pm

When did anybody in this thread suggest widening the court?

The court is fine.

Return to The General Board