Draft notes from Jake Fischer (Orlando, Sacramento, etc.)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,239

Draft notes from Jake Fischer (Orlando, Sacramento, etc.) 

Post#1 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Fri May 20, 2022 3:46 pm

* There’s little consensus of how the top three choices will unfold between Orlando, Oklahoma City (drafting No. 2) and Houston (No. 3), but most NBA figures believe those picks will be some order of Smith, Holmgren and Duke forward Paolo Banchero. Yet league figures have consistently mentioned the Magic front office’s affinity for length, particularly length on the perimeter, as a clue they’ll target Holmgren—considered to have the most guard-like skill package of the trio and the most superstar potential.

* The idea of incorporating Smith or Holmgren into Orlando’s rebuild has sparked an expectation among league personnel that Bamba, a restricted free agent this summer, is likely to depart the franchise, especially after being considered a trade candidate prior to February’s trade deadline.

* The additional connective tissue between Holmgren and the Magic is the prospect’s close relationship with Orlando point guard Jalen Suggs, the No. 5 pick in the 2021 draft. Holmgren and Suggs both starred at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis, where the two players overlapped during a dominant stretch of four straight state titles.

* Given that, there’s a strong belief among rival teams that Sacramento will explore trading the fourth selection, either out of the draft entirely for an impact veteran or down later in the lottery to net a contributing rotation player in the process. The expectation of Smith, Holmgren and Banchero representing the top three puts the Kings front office in a strong trade position, where the uncertainty of the fourth selection could prompt eager teams to leap up to secure their prized prospect. The draft, in one sense, could begin in earnest after the perceived top three are off the board.

* All that being said, there’s definitive belief Sharpe’s range begins at No. 4, with several team executives telling B/R he has the talent and athletic profile that could have been worthy of the No. 1 pick if he had played at Kentucky.

* In addition to Sacramento at No. 4, league personnel have pegged the Portland Trail Blazers and New Orleans Pelicans—picking seventh and eighth, respectively—as strong trade candidates.

* This draft is considered deep in talent between Nos. 12 and 40. Multiple agents and league executives at the combine told B/R they expect varying rankings from each team, where players that one front office deemed in the lottery may actually be available in the 20s, and vice versa.

* Oklahoma City, holding the Nos. 12 and 30 picks, Memphis, with picks Nos. 22 and 29, and San Antonio, owners of the ninth, 20th and 25th selections, have all been described as teams to monitor for trade-up scenarios.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10036369-nba-draft-buzz-insiders-explain-why-chet-holmgren-makes-sense-at-no-1
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,881

Re: Draft notes from Jake Fischer (Orlando, Sacramento, etc.) 

Post#2 » by whatisacenter » Fri May 20, 2022 4:01 pm

really interesting draft with no consensus number 1. there are some players slated to go in the 20's that I think could end up being better than players taken in the top 5.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,289

Post#3 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri May 20, 2022 4:09 pm

I'm really happy with Orlando getting number 1 pick since they are now my local basketball team. Went there this season. Fun home game for the Knicks lol. Seriously tho I really am rooting for them to build something solid
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#4 » by yosemiteben » Fri May 20, 2022 4:34 pm

This the guy that said Hornets are looking to hire a dual head coach + GM right before they extended their GM without finalizing their coaching hire? Just checking.
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 281

Post#5 » by Creativetran » Fri May 20, 2022 4:54 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:I'm really happy with Orlando getting number 1 pick since they are now my local basketball team. Went there this season. Fun home game for the Knicks lol. Seriously tho I really am rooting for them to build something solid

Wish we got the #1 last year, I take Cade/Green/Mobley over any of these three
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst

Post#6 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Sat May 21, 2022 1:20 am

yosemiteben wrote:This the guy that said Hornets are looking to hire a dual head coach + GM right before they extended their GM without finalizing their coaching hire? Just checking.

I honestly don't know if he said that or not.

But he correctly reported that Raptors were leaning towards Scottie Barnes over Jalen Suggs.
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,562

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Sat May 21, 2022 1:43 am

Really not meant to be much of a shot or anything like that, but not really sure Im seeing much insider info or hard hitting stuff with all of this. I feel like all the things stated are beyond obvious.

1. No consensus #1 pick, but 1-3 in some order is well known. I mean ya the top 3 picks have been pretty well known since like November.

2. Orlando getting a top 3 pick (one of the bigs) means most likely Bamba is gone. Ya that is kind of just putting 2 and 2 together on that one.

3. Many people know about the Suggs and Chet connection.

4. Kings missed out on the top 3 guys (most view a drop off after those 3) and they're in a get to the playoffs now mode. I think most would assume the Kings are one of the more likely options to trade their pick.

5. Sharpe could go as high as 4, and is very intriguing. Again well known stuff.

Just seems like pretty straight forward stuff.
DeBrick
Rookie
And1: 1,082

Post#8 » by DeBrick » Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 am

so Holmgren pretty much a lock to be #1

ehh... Orlando could definitely end up regretting who they got in these last 2 drafts
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#9 » by RookieStar » Sat May 21, 2022 2:21 am

If you caught up on our GM's interview, it seemed they already know who they want to pick. It would be during " due process " that they might change their minds.

Also, they didn't extend Mo, so who we pick wirh our 1st has no bearing on Mo..
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,710

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Sat May 21, 2022 2:26 am

DeBrick wrote:so Holmgren pretty much a lock to be #1

ehh... Orlando could definitely end up regretting who they got in these last 2 drafts
No Holmgren isn't a lock, that guy is speculating about who we might pick based on our history.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#11 » by Chuck Everett » Sat May 21, 2022 2:26 am

All I know is Orlando shouldn't be making any decisions based on Suggs. You pick the best player available. Which is why Scottie Barnes went before him.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
DeBrick
Rookie
And1: 1,082

Post#12 » by DeBrick » Sat May 21, 2022 2:51 am

Chuck Everett wrote:All I know is Orlando shouldn't be making any decisions based on Suggs. You pick the best player available. Which is why Scottie Barnes went before him.

IIRC most people considered Suggs to be BPA
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst

Post#13 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Sat May 21, 2022 5:17 am

DeBrick wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:All I know is Orlando shouldn't be making any decisions based on Suggs. You pick the best player available. Which is why Scottie Barnes went before him.

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,996

Post#14 » by DelAbbot » Sat May 21, 2022 5:21 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
DeBrick wrote:

most people that watch youtube videos to scout draft prospects.

Return to The General Board