OT : Will you watch Euroleague final?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Will you watch

Of course not
67%
Maybe if afternoon allows it
9%
Yeah, I plan to watch
9%
I am interested, but not sure where can I watch it
16%

Total votes: 58

thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Re: OT : Will you watch Euroleague final? 

Post#21 » by thomchatt3rton » Sat May 21, 2022 12:27 am

I don’t really follow it but I really enjoy international ball, so I will if I can.

Had no idea it was happening. They really have no advertising presence here in the states. Like at all.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#22 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat May 21, 2022 12:37 am

MrGoat wrote:If it comes on at the right time central time I will watch it. Shane Larkin is a former Mavs 1st round pick so I'm not sure whether to root for Efes or Real (which I'm assuming is Madrid, Luka's former team). But I'm a Mavs fan so I'm not sure there are the same incentives for American fans of other fanbases to potentially watch it

Three former Celts playing...
Larkin, Yabu and Sexy Pants.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#23 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat May 21, 2022 12:38 am

UcanUwill wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:probably

would have preferred to see barca instead of real madrid

Why is that, more balanced star power?

Cactus Jack wrote:I don't think it's broadcast in the States. Do you have any information?

Sorry I dont, I know some of the national US sports networks used to show championship game in the past, but maybe it changed with Euroleague.tv, which I wouldn't recommend with 1 game left in the season.

maybe some Americans with TV guide knowledge can help?

Not American, but I can watch it through my online betting account.
Might be an option for some?
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#24 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat May 21, 2022 12:40 am

Too busy playing and coaching, plus watching Celts games (and Aussie Rules).
If I start watching European basketball my wife might well punch me in the mouth.

(We have three kids, between 13 years and 17 months, so ..time is tricky)
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#25 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 21, 2022 12:52 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
MrGoat wrote:If it comes on at the right time central time I will watch it. Shane Larkin is a former Mavs 1st round pick so I'm not sure whether to root for Efes or Real (which I'm assuming is Madrid, Luka's former team). But I'm a Mavs fan so I'm not sure there are the same incentives for American fans of other fanbases to potentially watch it

Sexy pants? Haha what? I assume sexy pants is Vincent?

Lots of former NBA players in a championship game, I will somewhat name them starting from the best EL player to the worst out of the bunch :

Shane Larkin
Walter Tavares
Guerschon Yabusele
Vincent Poirier
Rodrigue Beaubois
Gabriel Deck
Tibor Pleiß
Chris Singleton
ANthony "Magic" Randolph
Trey Thompkins
Elijah Bryant
Rudy Fernández
Jeffery Taylor
James Anderson
Nigel Williams-Goss
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#26 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat May 21, 2022 12:54 am

UcanUwill wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Sexy pants? Haha what? I assume sexy pants is Vincent?

Lots of former NBA players in a championship game, I will somewhat name them starting from the best EL player to the worst out of the bunch :

Shane Larkin
Walter Tavares
Guerschon Yabusele
Vincent Poirier
Rodrigue Beaubois
Gabriel Deck
Tibor Pleiß
Chris Singleton
ANthony "Magic" Randolph
Trey Thompkins
Elijah Bryant
Rudy Fernández
Jeffery Taylor
James Anderson
Nigel Williams-Goss

Heh...yup.

https://sideaction.com/sports-news/celtics-vincent-poirier-asked-what-hes-done-during-quarantine-says-hes-called-vinny-sex-pants-for-a-reason/
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#27 » by Bobbymcgee » Sat May 21, 2022 12:56 am

TBH I thought this was a question about soccer lol.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#28 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun May 22, 2022 1:20 am

How would the best Euro teams fare against NBA teams? Would they have a chance against the worst NBA teams?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#29 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun May 22, 2022 1:34 am

Just watched these highlights:

Looks like Llull or Larkin could help an NBA team. I know Llull suffered a bad knee injury years ago, but he still looks effective.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#30 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 22, 2022 2:56 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:How would the best Euro teams fare against NBA teams? Would they have a chance against the worst NBA teams?

With excessive tanking, yes, I think Euroleague teams can somewhat compete with some tankatons, but as of today, best Euroleague team would still be quite an underdog against worst NBA teams I imagine. In the last ten years or so, I think we had 2 instances when best EL was arguably better than worst NBA team CSKA vs Bobcats when they set worst record ever, and offensive powered Real Madrid vs peak process 76ers, wichever year it was.
Overall, EL teams are just not built to defend NBA talent.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#31 » by walk with me » Sun May 22, 2022 4:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Ok, you know me, I am the Euroleague guy, maybe its a cringe thread from me, but I am just interested, I think it warrants thread more than Lavar Ball, to not offend any thread starter.

While all NBA conference finals games were disappointing blowouts, Euroleague final 4 semis did not disappoint, Anadolu Efes Istanbul beat Olympiacos with last second 3 point shot, while El Classico between Real and Barca came down all the way to the wire, both games ending by 3 point differential.

Final game : Anadolu Efes vs Real Madrid. Very interesting match up, I think Efes is the team with best guards In Europe, while Real Madrid is the team with best collection of bigs in Europe.

Key players to watch on both sides :

Vasilje Micic (PG - Efes)
Shane Larkin (PG - Efes)
Bryant Dunston (C - Efes)
Valter Tavares (C - Real)
Guerschon Yabusele ( PF - Real)
Vincent Poirier (C - Real)
Sergio Llull (SG/PG - Real)

Where can these games be viewed? If there was an easy spot to watch, I’d actually watch. It’s fun to watch diff formats of basketball with high quality players.

Love watching tbt for that reason.
bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#32 » by bbalnation » Sun May 22, 2022 5:09 pm

Rodrigue Beaubois!

Haven't seen that name in yeeeears
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#33 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sun May 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Just watched these highlights:

Looks like Llull or Larkin could help an NBA team. I know Llull suffered a bad knee injury years ago, but he still looks effective.

Llull is old now but definitely had an illustrious career. If he came over now he’d be like clippers teodosic: at the end of the bench
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#34 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun May 22, 2022 7:07 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Just watched these highlights:

Llull is old now but definitely had an illustrious career. If he came over now he’d be like clippers teodosic: at the end of the bench

Teodosic was actually fairly effective on the offensive end but was perhaps the worst defensive player in the history of the NBA- he couldn't keep anybody in front of him
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#35 » by Pachinko_ » Sun May 22, 2022 11:58 pm

I got around to watching it last night finally, and to be honest there's something sad about the whole thing

To be fair the modern Euro teams are probably better overall these days because even the role players have usually been through an NBA roster for a minute or two. But the star power is just pitiful. There was a day and a time when even top prospects like Kukoc/Manu/Drazen etc would stay and play for years before making the leap to the NBA, we've seen big name Americans like Dominique make a pass, big name Euros who never made the leap like the Galis/Diamantidis/Spanoulis of this world, and they were here to stay, not even interested in the NBA. There was always some (real or imaginary) star power at the top, and that alone made it worth watching. Maybe is just me but I can only get so excited when I know the best player I'm gonna watch tonight is Micic or Larkin (and I actually like both of them)

I still prefer the Euro format to the NBA for a long list of reasons, refs are not a joke, rules are actually observed, there's not so many star calls/breaks/flopping/complaints to the refs. But the top talent is just not there any more and hasn't been for years.

Return to The General Board