Who Would Have Guessed That Maple Jordan and Pierogi Jordan are Facing Off?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Which Version of Jordan wins tonight?

Maple Jordan, Canadians are famous for their basketball ability and also Maple Syrup
64%
Pierogi Jordan, Slovenians are famous for their basketball ability and also Perogies
36%

Total votes: 11

bballfan1three3
Senior
And1: 762

Who Would Have Guessed That Maple Jordan and Pierogi Jordan are Facing Off? 

Post#1 » by bballfan1three3 » Fri May 20, 2022 10:47 pm

Two of the premier wings in the nation face off tonight, Luka Doncic vs Andrew Wiggins, who shuts who down? Are the warriors too deep , is their back court too strong? Or can the Mavericks remember that one of the core tenets of basketball is making a jumper, i.e. putting the ball through the hoop?

Wiggins is actually way better at 1v1 defense than we gave him credit for
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Re: Who Would Have Guessed That Maple Jordan and Pierogi Jordan are Facing Off? 

Post#2 » by BadWolf » Fri May 20, 2022 11:40 pm

Pierogi? Wtf is that?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#3 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:47 pm

Thread has failed, I didn't see "finna" in there
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#4 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri May 20, 2022 11:53 pm

BadWolf wrote:Pierogi? Wtf is that?

Pasta dumplings, mildly spicy variation on ravioli.

Food slowly changes as you move from country to country in Europe. Slovenia is next to Italy but towards, Greece, Turkey Hungary and Russia so the food is a step towards those countries from Italy.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,776

Post#5 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 21, 2022 12:09 am

Slovenians got to have better national dish that Pierogi, I mean we have Cepelinai, Pierogi is just sad haha
tria
Junior
And1: 757

Post#6 » by tria » Sat May 21, 2022 12:12 am

Wtf, we are famous for Pierogi? Thanks for this new information. Poland is famous for pierogi, not Slovenia. We don’t have them around here…. “Pierogi Jordan” for Doncic is downright stupid.

If you want to use foodbase nickname for Luka, he is sometimes called “Poli”. Poli is a brand of sausage/hot dog mix, popular around here. Doncic is a big fan from his young age and now brand ambassador.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#7 » by RookieStar » Sat May 21, 2022 12:15 am

tria wrote:Wtf, we are famous for Pierogi? Thanks for this new information. Poland is famous for pierogi, not Slovenia. We don’t have them around here…. “Pierogi Jordan” for Doncic is downright stupid.

If you want to use foodbase nickname for Luka, he is sometimes called “Poli”. Poli is a brand of sausage/hot dog mix, popular around here. Doncic is a big fan from his young age and now brand ambassador.

Hmmm... Rolly-Poli Jordan.

There is potential.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#8 » by Egg Nog » Sat May 21, 2022 12:39 am

LOL...pierogi are known as Ukrainian/Polish food, not really associated with Slovenia.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,967

Post#9 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat May 21, 2022 12:42 am

UcanUwill wrote:Cepelinai

This looks amazing.

tria wrote:Poli

This does not.
Yeggo Poleggo
Rookie
And1: 1,244

Post#10 » by Yeggo Poleggo » Sat May 21, 2022 12:44 am

tria wrote:Wtf, we are famous for Pierogi? Thanks for this new information. Poland is famous for pierogi, not Slovenia. We don’t have them around here…. “Pierogi Jordan” for Doncic is downright stupid.

This poster is correct, however Luka looks Polish/Austrian/Czech etc.
World's biggest Kobe Bryant fan.

levon wrote:this board: "THT's negative value"

this board after he's traded: "I like THT, and he's so young! stupid Lakers let another one go"

literally every Lakers young player in the last 7 years
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#11 » by BadWolf » Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:

Food slowly changes as you move from country to country in Europe. Slovenia is next to Italy but towards, Greece, Turkey Hungary and Russia so the food is a step towards those countries from Italy.

Not really a Slovenian dish. Look like any dumplings really.
There's a very small region in Slovenia that has something similar, but it's rather unknown outside.
Some ppl actually call Luka Poli around here.

https://www.madaboutpoli.com/si/sl/luka-doncic/
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Post#12 » by Rich Michmond » Sat May 21, 2022 6:28 pm

Gortat was the true Pierogi Jordan

Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#13 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat May 21, 2022 7:32 pm

BadWolf wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:

Not really a Slovenian dish. Look like any dumplings really.
There's a very small region in Slovenia that has something similar, but it's rather unknown outside.
Some ppl actually call Luka Poli around here.

https://www.madaboutpoli.com/si/sl/luka-doncic/

I think Puerogi is actually a Polish word but I think there are some similar foods all over Eastern Europe.

I never stopped in Slovenia despite taking a train through Slovenia. I was in Bosnia before Yugoslavia broke up and I was told the joke that Tito was the only Yugoslav but I had no idea that the country was about to break apart and the different ethnicities would turn on each other.

In Syria, Yugoslavia and Ukraine our government found historic tensions and intentionally worked to turn those tensions into civil wars. In Yugoslavia Germany was more responsible for breaking that country than USA was. In Syria the Saudis were more responsible for breaking the country than USA was. Syrian hate was organized by foreign powers and was never a peaceful democracy movement. In Ukraine America spent 5 billion dollars funding Russian hating semi-Nazis in 2014 . Why? America most dominate the World don’t you know. Our fireign policy establishment has convinced themselves that the world will fall into a dangerous chaos if they are not dominated by America. But Nobody likes being dominated.

Bosnians Serbs Montenegrins and Croats all speak the same language but they have different alphabets and different histories. Slovenians, Macedonians and Kosovars speak other languages. Greeks hate Macedonians calling themselves Macedonians. To Greeks Alexander the Great was a Macedonian and spoke a language similar to Greek. Bulgarians and Greeks consider mThe modern Macedonian language to be a dialect of Bulgarian but modern Macedonians think their language is a separate language. Bulgarian and Serbo-Croatian speakers can partially understand each other. Kisavars speak the same language as Albanians and Albainian is not a Slavic or Greek related language.

Serbian-Croatian last names often end in the letters IC like Doncic. Perhaps Doncic’s family was Serbi-Croatian because I don’t know that Slovenian names end in IC. If Yugoslavia was still a country they would probably have the 2nd best Olympic basketball team behind only the USA.

Key and Peele skit on competing Albanian and Macedonian restaurants
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,588

Post#14 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat May 21, 2022 7:42 pm

bballfan1three3 wrote:Two of the premier wings in the nation face off tonight, Luka Doncic vs Andrew Wiggins, who shuts who down? Are the warriors too deep , is their back court too strong? Or can the Mavericks remember that one of the core tenets of basketball is making a jumper, i.e. putting the ball through the hoop?

Wiggins is actually way better at 1v1 defense than we gave him credit for
Pieogi are polish, I think calling Luka that way is just ignorant and bordeline racist.
You could have got away with Cavopcici, even if that's Serbian, but Pierogi makes zero sense.

___
Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#15 » by mattg » Sat May 21, 2022 10:08 pm

Doncic is half Serbian and half Slovenian. Maybe Cevapcici Jordan is more appropriate
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#16 » by LAL1947 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:36 pm

Luka does look like a dumpling at the moment, haha.

If that doesn't work though... how about Struklji Jordan?

tria wrote:If you want to use foodbase nickname for Luka, he is sometimes called “Poli”. Poli is a brand of sausage/hot dog mix, popular around here. Doncic is a big fan from his young age and now brand ambassador.

Or this! Roli-Poli Jordan :D
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,842

Post#17 » by BK_2020 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:58 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:]Pieogi are polish, I think calling Luka that way is just ignorant and bordeline racist.
You could have got away with Cavopcici, even if that's Serbian, but Pierogi makes zero sense.

___

I thought that too but apparently there is slovenian pierogi.
https://slovenianroots.blogspot.com/2012/10/slovenian-dinner-week-39-pierogi.html
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,399

Post#18 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:59 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Serbian-Croatian last names often end in the letters IC like Doncic. Perhaps Doncic’s family was Serbi-Croatian because I don’t know that Slovenian names end in IC. If Yugoslavia was still a country they would probably have the 2nd best Olympic basketball team behind only the USA.

A ton of Slovenians have Serbian or Croatian backgrounds (Slovenia was the wealthiest region of Yugoslavia so it attracted a lot of internal migration). That's where the "ic" surnames come from. Luka's dad was Serbian (born in Slovenia himself).

Any Yugoslav sports fan has to be salty about the break-up of the country. We'd be the best or close to the best in so many sports if the country was still around.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#19 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun May 22, 2022 12:40 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Serbian-Croatian last names often end in the letters IC like Doncic. Perhaps Doncic’s family was Serbi-Croatian because I don’t know that Slovenian names end in IC. If Yugoslavia was still a country they would probably have the 2nd best Olympic basketball team behind only the USA.

A ton of Slovenians have Serbian or Croatian backgrounds (Slovenia was the wealthiest region of Yugoslavia so it attracted a lot of internal migration). That's where the "ic" surnames come from. Luka's dad was Serbian (born in Slovenia himself).

Any Yugoslav sports fan has to be salty about the break-up of the country. We'd be the best or close to the best in so many sports if the country was still around.

I can understand why Slovenia wanted out because the did not want to be financially drained by the poorer states. But once Slovenia was gone Serbia was too powerful within Yugoslavia.Michael Parenting influenced my thinking on the break up of Yugoslavia. Germany wanted a sphere of influence (they should have renounced spheres of influence as part of their renunciation of Hitler) and they thought the could have Croatia. I think the USA’s motive in breaking up Yugoslavia was a fear that Romania and Bulgaria would want to follow the Yugoslav style communism light path if neoliberalism failed and therefore the USA wanted to destroy Yugoslavia as a potential role model.

The Yugoslavia I would have liked to have seen after the fall of the Soviet Union but outdated have not taxed Slovenia to pay for poorer regions thereby removing the incentive for Slovenia to leave, and would haves enlarged Yugoslavia by bringing Bulgaria and Albania into the new Yugoslavia. Maybe change the name since Albanians are not Slavs. Make a new Capital near the Macedonian, Kosovo, Albania border. The Kosovo Serb vs Albanian problem would be improved. With Bulgaria and Albania included there would not be a problem of Serbian domination of the country.

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda. Oh well they got a nasty war instead.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,588

Post#20 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sun May 22, 2022 6:06 am

BK_2020 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:]Pieogi are polish, I think calling Luka that way is just ignorant and bordeline racist.

___

I thought that too but apparently there is slovenian pierogi.
https://slovenianroots.blogspot.com/2012/10/slovenian-dinner-week-39-pierogi.html

Sure, just as there's Slovenian lasagna (same page) or Slovenian pizza
Слава Украине!

Return to The General Board