Shams: All-NBA Defensive Teams Named

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Re: Shams: All-NBA Defensive Teams Named 

Post#41 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat May 21, 2022 2:26 am

jjj first team lol. and thybulle 2nd team wow.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#42 » by LAL1947 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:34 am

SpreeS wrote:No single point for Wiggs? Really? And Bridges is on 1st team? So the gap between these two is astronomical??

Well, I think Wiggins deserved to get a few of the votes that went to some forwards (like Brown, Horford, KD, Bane [shouldn't Bane have been among guards?]... even Butler, Tatum)... or to some guards (like FVV, Lowry, Booker, Derrick White, Ayo). For Wiggins to get no votes is a little strange.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#43 » by SpreeS » Sat May 21, 2022 2:37 am

SpreeS wrote:
Djh7475 wrote:
SpreeS wrote:Something wrong here

Smart 198
RW3 70
Green 34
Tatum 4
White 4
Brown 2
Horford 2

1st GSW 106.9 defrtg
2nd BOS 106.9 defrtg

BB-RF.COM

It’s because Draymond missed almost half the season. Otherwise he would’ve been Smart’s biggest competition for DPOY. No doubt 2 of the most talented and unique defensive players in the league. Brown is probably the only Celtic I would say didn’t deserve votes though. Lol if the vote was today, Tatum and Horford would probably get more votes and Grant Williams might get more than both of them. Just never know when guys like Booker and CP3 are getting votes how legit it all is. So many guys have bonuses in their contracts now for meeting certain metrics like an All NBA team or All NBA defensive team that I think ridiculous voters should lose their right to vote.

I talk about how BOS has 6 players and GSW 1, who played only half season

Sorry missed Payton
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#44 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:42 am

SpreeS wrote:
Djh7475 wrote:
SpreeS wrote:Something wrong here

Smart 198
RW3 70
Green 34
Tatum 4
White 4
Brown 2
Horford 2

1st GSW 106.9 defrtg
2nd BOS 106.9 defrtg

BB-RF.COM

It’s because Draymond missed almost half the season. Otherwise he would’ve been Smart’s biggest competition for DPOY. No doubt 2 of the most talented and unique defensive players in the league. Brown is probably the only Celtic I would say didn’t deserve votes though. Lol if the vote was today, Tatum and Horford would probably get more votes and Grant Williams might get more than both of them. Just never know when guys like Booker and CP3 are getting votes how legit it all is. So many guys have bonuses in their contracts now for meeting certain metrics like an All NBA team or All NBA defensive team that I think ridiculous voters should lose their right to vote.

I talk about how BOS has 6 players and GSW 1, who played only half season

So because they have the same defensive rating they should have the same number of players a top the voting? Its not like they only play and recognize six guys, and its not like every other defensive metric was equal also. Boston held teams to less points and a lower fg%. Tatum led the league in defensive rating, that doesnt equate to him winning dpoy…..
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#45 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:45 am

LAL1947 wrote:
SpreeS wrote:No single point for Wiggs? Really? And Bridges is on 1st team? So the gap between these two is astronomical??

Well, I think Wiggins deserved to get a few of the votes that went to some forwards (like Brown, Horford, KD, Bane [shouldn't Bane have been among guards?]... even Butler, Tatum)... or to some guards (like FVV, Lowry, Booker, Derrick White, Ayo). For Wiggins to get no votes is a little strange.

He def shouldnt have taken votes from guys like Butler, Tatum, and FVV, and metrics dont point to him being a better defender either. He had years of poor defensive metrics that are still fresh in peoples minds.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,727

Post#46 » by Nate505 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:47 am

Gobert on the 1st team, Draymond on the 2nd. The world is right again.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,365

Post#47 » by Tottery » Sat May 21, 2022 3:52 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:jjj first team lol. and thybulle 2nd team wow.

Not that crazy. He is top 10 for defensive win shares and lead the league in blocks. He was in contention for DPOY before injury.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,086

Post#48 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 21, 2022 4:17 am

UcanUwill wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:No Jarrett Allen or Evan Mobley votes?

They had their share, Mobley was close to making the cut

Surprised they received so few.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#49 » by FNQ » Sat May 21, 2022 4:24 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
SpreeS wrote:No single point for Wiggs? Really? And Bridges is on 1st team? So the gap between these two is astronomical???

Yes the defensive gap between Wiggins and Bridges is very big.

:lol: based on what
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by FNQ » Sat May 21, 2022 4:27 am

LAL1947 wrote:

Reputations take a while to build, and the awards typically lean towards asthetics.

For example, GP2 gets 3 votes. He's below average off-ball and frequently rotates wrong. But he's good on ball and most importantly.. spastic about it.

Is what it is. But the weird thing is... Wiggins was voted for the ASG right? But he's not getting All-defense votes so.. was he in the ASG for his offense?
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#51 » by LAL1947 » Sat May 21, 2022 4:30 am

FNQ wrote:Is what it is. But the weird thing is... Wiggins was voted for the ASG right? But he's not getting All-defense votes so.. was he in the ASG for his offense?

IKR lol. You'd think the voters would have given it a thought to be consistent.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#52 » by Jables » Sat May 21, 2022 5:15 am

I don't think I can take media votes for defense seriously anymore.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,007

Post#53 » by DelAbbot » Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 am

Dan Z wrote:Patrick Beverley recently said he's the best defender in the world. What happened?

dunning kruger effect happened
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,454

Post#54 » by Mrakar » Sat May 21, 2022 6:16 am

Im salty because Herb didn't make it. NBA f'ed up because they listed him only as a forward even though he played quite a lot of his minutes at guard, especially since CJ trade.
But nvm, now he has even more motivation to come back even better next year...
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
B-easy
Starter
And1: 524

Post#55 » by B-easy » Sat May 21, 2022 6:34 am

To judge defense you HAVE to watch the games. And there is only so many games the voters can watch. Reputation matters a lot and more deserving players will miss out.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#56 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:40 am

FNQ wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

Reputations take a while to build, and the awards typically lean towards asthetics.

For example, GP2 gets 3 votes. He's below average off-ball and frequently rotates wrong. But he's good on ball and most importantly.. spastic about it.

Is what it is. But the weird thing is... Wiggins was voted for the ASG right? But he's not getting All-defense votes so.. was he in the ASG for his offense?

https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/K-pop-star-BamBam-backs-wiggins-16773758.php

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,529

Post#57 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:43 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:Super solid selections imo. No surprises with the guys who made it. They're all elite. I've kinda sold my Thybulle stock but he did have a big defensive season.

I feel like all-defense should be used to trim the voter list lol. Just for some of the silly ones. Whoever voted for Booker, Bane, Durant, Ayo.

Like even if you think some of these guys are good defenders... you really have a case any of these guys are top 4 at their position. It's gotten a lot better over the past 5-10 years though.

Ya I wont lie, my first post on here I said I would have Herb over Thybulle, but after diving into the numbers. I honestly cant make a case either than eye test. I think Thybulle's offensive woes is kind of effecting my overall view of him. Because ya his overall defensive numbers are pretty freaking ridiculous this year.

Pretty much however you want to cut it, his numbers are at the top. Whether it is individual on ball stuff like opponents FG%, or steals, deflections, on/off, DRAPM, Defensive Raptor, and so on. He's at the top in pretty much everything. And the eye test on the defensive end checks out too, the dude is a freak on that end.

I honestly think the complete lack of growth on the offensive end 3 years in has led to me feeling somewhat frustrated with him as a player. And I think that probably has leaked over to my feeling on him on the defensive end. When in reality, the dude is a freak on that end.

Yeah I was aware that Thybulle had the numbers case, but there's still something that smells gimmicky about him. Doesn't stop the ball, makes a lot of plays behind it. He's the only really wing on that team. He was a total non-factor in the Sixers uninspiring playoff run and I often forgot he was on the roster.

The thing is...he's BETTER defending from behind. You almost want him in front of you if you're the offensive player.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,529

Post#58 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:49 am

An oddly pretty good list.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by FNQ » Sat May 21, 2022 7:31 am

babyjax13 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:Well, I think Wiggins deserved to get a few of the votes that went to some forwards (like Brown, Horford, KD, Bane [shouldn't Bane have been among guards?]... even Butler, Tatum)... or to some guards (like FVV, Lowry, Booker, Derrick White, Ayo). For Wiggins to get no votes is a little strange.

https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/K-pop-star-BamBam-backs-wiggins-16773758.php

Always amazing to remember that kpop has that kind of affect on the media, coaches and players too
letskissbro
Rookie
And1: 1,426

Post#60 » by letskissbro » Sat May 21, 2022 7:56 am

Bucks getting a 1st and 2nd team selection despite being the 14th best defense in the league is interesting
Doctor MJ wrote:I like the analogy with Curry as Coca-Cola. And then I'd say Iverson was Lean.

Return to The General Board