Kerr just absolutely embarrassed Jason Kidd...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Re: Kerr just absolutely embarrassed Jason Kidd... 

Post#61 » by Pennebaker » Sat May 21, 2022 6:17 am

bradybunch wrote:What a disaster.

Why the hell is Kidd allowing Luka to bring the ball up nearly every possession as Wiggins hounds him for 94 feet? Take Luka off the ball to conserve his energy, numbnuts! They get into the bonus and instead of attacking, Kidd thinks he's Phil Jackson and doesn't call a timeout to stop the bleeding and advise them to get into the paint! Hey numbnuts, you can afford to not call a timeout only when you have Michael Jordan and superior talent across the board!

Kerr schooled Kidd!

I think it's mostly that the Warriors have better players and are favorites so they're supposed to win.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#62 » by dk1115 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:22 am

Even when the Warriors were down 20, it didn't really feel all that bad. Kinda like when I played DOTA and my team was down 27-4.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#63 » by FNQ » Sat May 21, 2022 6:23 am

floppymoose wrote:For all the **** show the first half was for the Warriors, Luka hunting Curry was not the issue. Curry was -2 on the half. Green was -25. Klay was -20. The Mavs success that half came when Curry wasn't even on the floor, not when Luka was trying to generate a switch onto him.

I hope Dallas keeps going to that well. It doesn't work well and just makes their offense predictable.

it worked really well, it just wasnt Curry's fault it did
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Post#64 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:27 am

Raps in 4 wrote:The term is "exposed".

I don't understand why this board hasn't setup a filter/ban rule for that and the ch word everyone constantly uses...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by FNQ » Sat May 21, 2022 6:28 am

dhsilv2 wrote:

I don't understand why this board hasn't setup a filter/ban rule for that and the ch word everyone constantly uses...

they finna do it soon
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#66 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:32 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Yes pretty easily.

Nurse has one Championship. And it came through trading for a Superstar who did everything and already had won.

Spo has 2 with the 2nd greatest player ever in his prime.

Lue has 1 with LeBron at his apex.

Pop is past his prime.

Monty is not even in the discussion.

Luke Walton did nothing but keep the Ws afloat on Kerr's system for half the season.

Kerr created the Warriors entire system. They were on a path to nowhere before he got there. A first round exit that was regressing.

Him and Curry are the ones responsible for the dynasty. Kerr transformed them into a perennial contender based on his system.

Well Nurse has 1 because he had a superstar for literally 1 season

Feels like he does a lot with a lot less

Maybe fair on Spo, but Lebron was not good in the 2011 finals and they didn't have depth. Team got old real quick by 2014 and never had all time shooting with the mix of their big 3

Lue: If not for the most talented team of all time, the cavs probably get another ring or even 2

Pop: Fair I guess, but hard to judge with these rosters

Monty: Why not? Suns have had a big turn around the past couple of years. Can attribute it to young guys growing up though and Cp3

Forgot to add Ime as well, but early

Fair that Kerr did help create their system

But does it seem all that hard to want your shooters to move off ball and have cutting?

I don't see how the 2019 Raptors were any less talented than the 2015 Warriors. In fact, you could argue they were less talented.

Kawhi was incredible that post season. Thats the main reason they won. Nurse played a role. But he wasn't the driving factor.

Kerr certainly was for the Warriors in my view. Because he created the system which exists to this day.

Curry wasn't really in the conversation for MVP or a top 5 player prior to Kerr.

But I would have Nurse at 2 or 3 regardless. Still think he is a great coach.

I think '11 can in part by blamed on Spo. Hes again a great coach. But that team was based on individual greatness of LeBron. Not the system Spo created.

Same thing with Lue. Mostly LeBron.

Monty's team collapsed in the playoffs and have never won a Championship. So hes not in the conversation for me.

Yes it does seem hard to create the Warriors system. Because nobody had ever really played that way before. With the 3 ball and death lineup.

In terms of just raw talent the 2019 raptors are up there all time.

But it's completely false than Curry wasn't a top 5 player prior to Kerr. Sure maybe the conversation hadn't started but it was because basketball conversations are often terrible. He was second in RPM for example in 2014. He was already on that level, fans just hadn't figured it out yet.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#67 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:35 am

I'd love to see since 2015 playoff and regular season 3rd quarter stats for the warriors. For all the talk of the mavs failure, the warriors have been regularly have these kinds of 3rd for nearly a decade! This is what the warriors do.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by FNQ » Sat May 21, 2022 6:31 pm

Circling back, just put this in the main thread.

Kerr/Brown absolutely made a coaching move that changed the game. I thought it was random, but I just finished the opps on the 3rd Q. Here's how it went down

Q1/Q2: the Mavs were hunting Curry on Luka. They realized that Curry was just going to tag/hedge with no serious threat to Luka. So Luka started drifting away from the basket after the screen to pull Curry farther. Important to note: the screener was most often Bullock (about 80% of the time) and thats where the Mavs did most of their damage, Bullock screen with either an empty corner or Brunson (guarded by Klay) in the corner. Obviously worked great.

Q3: Kerr/Brown make a great adjustment. They now put Curry on DFS, Klay moved to Bullock. The Mavs decided that instead of hunting Bullock, they hunted Curry. DFS is not a great or quick decision maker, and so the opportunities dried up. And this is where Kidd got crushed: instead of hunting for Bullock on Klay, who I cant stress enough is a terrible defensive decision maker, they opted to screen/switch on Looney. Keep in mind, Looney had 14 opps in game on Luka which resulted in 9 finished possessions. In those 9 possessions, Luka scored 5 pts with 2 assists and a turnover, or a neat 1.00 PPP. I dont have the finished Looney numbers yet for yesterday's game, but safe to say they dipped considerably.

And thats where the game changed. Kerr probably had the final say, but Mike Brown has been running our defense this year, so maybe its Brown making the call.. who knows
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,176

Post#69 » by Dubnation » Sat May 21, 2022 6:34 pm

FNQ wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

they finna do it soon

:lol:
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,176

Post#70 » by Dubnation » Sat May 21, 2022 7:05 pm

FNQ wrote:Circling back, just put this in the main thread.

Kerr/Brown absolutely made a coaching move that changed the game. I thought it was random, but I just finished the opps on the 3rd Q. Here's how it went down

Q1/Q2: the Mavs were hunting Curry on Luka. They realized that Curry was just going to tag/hedge with no serious threat to Luka. So Luka started drifting away from the basket after the screen to pull Curry farther. Important to note: the screener was most often Bullock (about 80% of the time) and thats where the Mavs did most of their damage, Bullock screen with either an empty corner or Brunson (guarded by Klay) in the corner. Obviously worked great.

Q3: Kerr/Brown make a great adjustment. They now put Curry on DFS, Klay moved to Bullock. The Mavs decided that instead of hunting Bullock, they hunted Curry. DFS is not a great or quick decision maker, and so the opportunities dried up. And this is where Kidd got crushed: instead of hunting for Bullock on Klay, who I cant stress enough is a terrible defensive decision maker, they opted to screen/switch on Looney. Keep in mind, Looney had 14 opps in game on Luka which resulted in 9 finished possessions. In those 9 possessions, Luka scored 5 pts with 2 assists and a turnover, or a neat 1.00 PPP. I dont have the finished Looney numbers yet for yesterday's game, but safe to say they dipped considerably.

And thats where the game changed. Kerr probably had the final say, but Mike Brown has been running our defense this year, so maybe its Brown making the call.. who knows

Good point. We've had excellent defensive coaches over the years. I thought we'd see a dip when Ron stepped back, but not so much. I hope we can replace Mike next year with another capable defensive assistant.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#71 » by Big J » Sat May 21, 2022 7:12 pm

No way in hell Mike Brown made that call. He’s incompetent. That’s Kerr all day long.
GeorgeGervin
Junior
And1: 331

Post#72 » by GeorgeGervin » Sat May 21, 2022 8:15 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
bradybunch wrote:What a disaster.

Why the hell is Kidd allowing Luka to bring the ball up nearly every possession as Wiggins hounds him for 94 feet? Take Luka off the ball to conserve his energy, numbnuts! They get into the bonus and instead of attacking, Kidd thinks he's Phil Jackson and doesn't call a timeout to stop the bleeding and advise them to get into the paint! Hey numbnuts, you can afford to not call a timeout only when you have Michael Jordan and superior talent across the board!

Kerr schooled Kidd!

I think it's mostly that the Warriors have better players and are favorites so they're supposed to win.

I agree, the Warriors have like 4 players that are better than the Mavs' second best player and a better bench.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,546

Post#73 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat May 21, 2022 8:44 pm

DeBrick wrote:I have no doubt if both of them PLAYED Kidd would be embarassing Kerr

And your point is.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,546

Post#74 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat May 21, 2022 9:02 pm

floppymoose wrote:For all the **** show the first half was for the Warriors, Luka hunting Curry was not the issue. Curry was -2 on the half. Green was -25. Klay was -20. The Mavs success that half came when Curry wasn't even on the floor, not when Luka was trying to generate a switch onto him.

I hope Dallas keeps going to that well. It doesn't work well and just makes their offense predictable.

I share your impression but I always recommend extreme caution when it comes to single game plus minus. Plus minus requires a huge sample size for accuracy. Usually you need at least 30-40 games to get anything worthwhile.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,084

Post#75 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 21, 2022 10:18 pm

Who woulda guessed the most winningest coach in the past 8 years is really good, lol
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#76 » by floppymoose » Sun May 22, 2022 12:42 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:

I share your impression but I always recommend extreme caution when it comes to single game plus minus. Plus minus requires a huge sample size for accuracy. Usually you need at least 30-40 games to get anything worthwhile.

I agree with the sample size argument in general. However the reasoning here does not rely on sample size, but just on logic. If Curry was -2 in the first half then the 14 point advantage did not come because the Mavs were hunting Curry. It came because they won the minutes Curry was off by 12. You can't hunt Curry when he is on the bench.

Return to The General Board