Curry in PO 4Q

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Curry in PO 4Q 

Post#1 » by SpreeS » Sat May 21, 2022 11:58 am

So far in 2022 PO

Plays only 7.2 min
Scores 9.5 pts
On 57/44/90
+/- 3.9
Offrtg 140.4
Netrtg +24.5
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,214

Re: Curry in PO 4Q 

Post#2 » by rate_ » Sat May 21, 2022 12:07 pm

Still an highly impactful player despite the regression in 3P%.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#3 » by Homer38 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 pm

I thought he was awful in the clutch according to some
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,170

Post#4 » by moderndarwin » Sat May 21, 2022 12:56 pm

SpreeS wrote:So far in 2022 PO

Plays only 7.2 min
Scores 9.5 pts
On 57/44/90
+/- 3.9
Offrtg 140.4
Netrtg +24.5

Wow that’s amazing!
cam24thomas
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#5 » by cam24thomas » Sat May 21, 2022 12:56 pm

Homer38 wrote:I thought he was awful in the clutch according to some

They had a segment on First Take recently, asking who you'd rather have in a Game 7, Doncic or Curry.
Stephen A. Smith and Kendrick Perkins both said Curry. JJ Redick said Doncic :crazy:
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,420

Post#6 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 21, 2022 12:57 pm

Nice numbers, nerd. My eye test still says he's a choker.
warriorschamps
Senior
And1: 593

Post#7 » by warriorschamps » Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm

But, but Steph isn't clutch. Oh wait turns out Curry has been far and away the best player in the 4th quarter of the playoffs this year.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#8 » by hugepatsfan » Sat May 21, 2022 2:01 pm

Was last night clutch? I saw him sitting on the bench while reserves pushed the lead to 10 then he came in and started piling on. I remember the MEM closeout game where it was just piling on, running up numbers with the game out of reach. I think that's more the criticism of Steph. A lot of their 4th quarters feel like "run the score up" situations rather than true back and forth clutch situations. Not saying I agree, but I don't think just throwing up general 4th quarter numbers does anything to address people's criticisms. Their argument (flawed as it may be) is that he just piles up points after the game is out of reach so just saying he has good 4th quarter numbers doesn't disprove that.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,965

Post#9 » by DonaldSanders » Sat May 21, 2022 2:24 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Was last night clutch? I saw him sitting on the bench while reserves pushed the lead to 10 then he came in and started piling on. I remember the MEM closeout game where it was just piling on, running up numbers with the game out of reach. I think that's more the criticism of Steph. A lot of their 4th quarters feel like "run the score up" situations rather than true back and forth clutch situations. Not saying I agree, but I don't think just throwing up general 4th quarter numbers does anything to address people's criticisms. Their argument (flawed as it may be) is that he just piles up points after the game is out of reach so just saying he has good 4th quarter numbers doesn't disprove that.

:lol:

In the 1st half Steph had 20 points and kept the Warriors in the game by himself while the Warriors were behind, then Steph was also 4/4 in the 4th quarter. C'mon bruh, this is a weak attempt. Doncic was on the bench when the dubs took the lead in the 4th, Curry had to hold it when Luka was in the game, both started the 4th on the bench.

Curry has been great this playoffs, we need his clutch play.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,170

Post#10 » by moderndarwin » Sat May 21, 2022 2:32 pm

You can’t win without teammates. Steph is the most clutch superstar because he allows his teammates to also have the confidence to shine. He builds them up over the season and in the playoff. Wiggins, Looney, Porter, post achilles Klay, Moody, or anyone else hitting shots in important times are a direct result of self belief. These guys all had it as pre NBA guys but usually in the NBA they have to mute their impact so a superstar can shine. Steph does the oppposite he breathes life into them becoming the best version of themselves. And he also swings his big shooting stick when needed.

If anything he should chuck up more shots because his only flaw is cross court lazy passes.
ChaseDown
Senior
And1: 668

Post#11 » by ChaseDown » Sat May 21, 2022 2:40 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Was last night clutch? I saw him sitting on the bench while reserves pushed the lead to 10 then he came in and started piling on. I remember the MEM closeout game where it was just piling on, running up numbers with the game out of reach. I think that's more the criticism of Steph. A lot of their 4th quarters feel like "run the score up" situations rather than true back and forth clutch situations. Not saying I agree, but I don't think just throwing up general 4th quarter numbers does anything to address people's criticisms. Their argument (flawed as it may be) is that he just piles up points after the game is out of reach so just saying he has good 4th quarter numbers doesn't disprove that.

Very weak attempt or just plain hating. Curry was amazing both on court and on nerdpaper.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#12 » by hugepatsfan » Sat May 21, 2022 2:41 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:

In the 1st half Steph had 20 points and kept the Warriors in the game by himself while the Warriors were behind, then Steph was also 4/4 in the 4th quarter. C'mon bruh, this is a weak attempt. Doncic was on the bench when the dubs took the lead in the 4th, Curry had to hold it when Luka was in the game, both started the 4th on the bench.

Unbunch your panties. I didn't "attempt" anything. I said I didn't agree with the idea Steph isn't "clutch". I simply explained that the popular criticism that Steph's haters have of him is that he gets his 4th quarter numbers from piling on after games have been blown open rather than in the closely contended back and forth games. So if they're acknowledging he piles up 4th quarter stats, you're not going to bring anything to the table that "disproves" what they're saying with just 4th quarter totals and stats. So if the OP wants to shut the haters down with facts he's going to need to parse the data down more specifically than just 4th quarter totals. Needs to bring in score and time if he actually wants something to shove in people's face.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by DonaldSanders » Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

Unbunch your panties. I didn't "attempt" anything. I said I didn't agree with the idea Steph isn't "clutch". I simply explained that the popular criticism that Steph's haters have of him is that he gets his 4th quarter numbers from piling on after games have been blown open rather than in the closely contended back and forth games. So if they're acknowledging he piles up 4th quarter stats, you're not going to bring anything to the table that "disproves" what they're saying with just 4th quarter totals and stats. So if the OP wants to shut the haters down with facts he's going to need to parse the data down more specifically than just 4th quarter totals. Needs to bring in score and time if he actually wants something to shove in people's face.

Freshen up your diaper. Curry carried the Warriors when they were down in the first half, your rant is incoherent.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#14 » by tsherkin » Sat May 21, 2022 3:01 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

Freshen up your diaper. Curry carried the Warriors when they were down in the first half, your rant is incoherent.

Nah man, listen to what hugepatsfan is saying. Steph played a great game, but in discussions of clutch, his play in the 4th quarter (which is how the average fan discusses clutch, not just 'high leverage moments throughout the game') needs to be parsed for what the point margin looked like as he was playing. Curry entered the game in the 4th with 6:24 left to play and a 7-point lead. He's talking about how best to position your argument to address the narrative, not actually attacking the idea that Steph is clutch.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by DonaldSanders » Sat May 21, 2022 3:03 pm

tsherkin wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Nah man, listen to what hugepatsfan is saying. Steph played a great game, but in discussions of clutch, his play in the 4th quarter (which is how the average fan discusses clutch, not just 'high leverage moments throughout the game') needs to be parsed for what the point margin looked like as he was playing. Curry entered the game in the 4th with 6:24 left to play and a 7-point lead. He's talking about how best to position your argument to address the narrative, not actually attacking the idea that Steph is clutch.

Oh please. When the Warriors are behind and Steph does well Steph gets criticized. When the Warriors are winning and Steph does well Steph gets criticized.

You're ignoring the context of the game, the Warriors took the lead with Luka on the bench. Curry had to hold off Luka with his clutch 4/4 shooting to ice the game. I'm re-watching the 4th right now, this is clutch play.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,922

Post#16 » by CobraCommander » Sat May 21, 2022 3:18 pm

ben10simmons wrote:

They had a segment on First Take recently, asking who you'd rather have in a Game 7, Doncic or Curry.
Stephen A. Smith and Kendrick Perkins both said Curry. JJ Redick said Doncic :crazy:

Luka www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/luka-doncic-4th-qtr-stats-playoff. 5.6 points, 1.6 rebounds and 1.2 assist

Luka avg 32 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assist a game in playoffs... Lukas production drops in the 4th everywhere

Curry Avg 26 points a game in playoffs and but gives you 7 points in the 4th quarter in playoffs

The most interesting thing about Lukas 4th quarter is his assist going down...Luka getting less assist in the 4th because he is possibly turning into even more of a shoot first player.

So if Luka and Curry are going to be primarily SHOOTING in the 4th.... and question is who would you rather have SHOOTING Luka or Curry....are people really about to say Luka they want the Luka step back 3 over Wardell Stephen Curry the second shooting from anywhere
Spoiler:
https://c.tenor.com/os7Q5ETFIjsAAAAM/lmao-dying.gif
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#17 » by tsherkin » Sat May 21, 2022 3:21 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:Oh please. When the Warriors are behind and Steph does well Steph gets criticized. When the Warriors are winning and Steph does well Steph gets criticized.

You're ignoring the context of the game, the Warriors took the lead with Luka on the bench. Curry had to hold off Luka with his clutch 4/4 shooting to ice the game. I'm re-watching the 4th right now, this is clutch play.

No, I'm not ignoring anything. You are in "fight everyone" mode and not listening.

I didn't offer my opinion on Curry's performance at all other than to say he had a great game. I was telling you to slow your roll because you're missing what another poster is saying, which you've since gone on to do with me as well. Slow down, take a breath and re-read. He's telling you about how to approach the discussion in order to try and convince other people. He's discussing a narrative that you need to address, the prevailing misconception about Curry's play.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,249

Post#18 » by Statlanta » Sat May 21, 2022 3:27 pm

His numbers are good, always good as there is a poster walking around with his signature as Curry's 2015 clutch stats, but it has to be said that he doesn't have a legendary playoff moment for such a legendary offensive player.

Like what is ABC/ESPN going to replay about his career?
The shot clock buzzer beater over Kevin Love when his team was up big?
3pt shots over 9th man Dellevadova?
His I'm back over an outmatched Portland team?
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#19 » by WarriorGM » Sat May 21, 2022 3:29 pm

tsherkin wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:Oh please. When the Warriors are behind and Steph does well Steph gets criticized. When the Warriors are winning and Steph does well Steph gets criticized.

No, I'm not ignoring anything. You are in "fight everyone" mode and not listening.

I didn't offer my opinion on Curry's performance at all other than to say he had a great game. I was telling you to slow your roll because you're missing what another poster is saying, which you've since gone on to do with me as well. Slow down, take a breath and re-read. He's telling you about how to approach the discussion in order to try and convince other people. He's discussing a narrative that you need to address, the prevailing misconception about Curry's play.

Do we really need to parse the finer points though? The argument is disingenuous from the start. Is there a prevailing misconception? How on earth did they come to such a conclusion in the first place? The onus is on the one making it to provide the evidence.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#20 » by ILOVEIT » Sat May 21, 2022 3:31 pm

I think Curry figured somethign out after all these years. It's better to get to the rim in the final moments that bomb away from three.

He's been closing out games MUCH better this playoff run.

I'm sincerely hoping that this run destroys' that blip on his legacy. Curry STILL isn't shooting the three ball that great (relative to previous seasons).
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.

Return to The General Board