Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs!

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

pseudonym28
Sophomore
And1: 122

Re: Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs! 

Post#501 » by pseudonym28 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:17 am

I think he will go to Charlotte or DC
Kineto
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#502 » by Kineto » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:42 pm

He played last week againt Monaco (currently 2nd of the euroleague), and put big number once again.
27 pts / 11 board.

(for those who has concern about the poor level of the previous oponents)

Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#503 » by Zion Wembanyama » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:52 am

1. New Orleans (via LAL) - Victor Wembanyama
2. Charlotte - Scoot Henderson
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,971

Post#504 » by Exp0sed » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:19 am

pseudonym28 wrote:I think he will go to Charlotte or DC

if you know the outcome of NBA lottery balls beforehand, why stop there?
I recommend you pick out actual lottery balls and make urself a rich man :P
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#505 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:37 am

I wasn't that into the NBA Draft when LeBron or Greg Oden or Shaq came around given the coverage from Europe. How would you old schools compare the hype & potential of Wemby to the all-time prospects (I don't care if they failed once they got into the league, I'm just talking about everything up until draft day)
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
dlughie
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#506 » by dlughie » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:26 pm

amcoolio wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
amcoolio wrote:I'm not even going to get my hopes up. He's the ultimate lottery ticket of all lottery tickets.

He will be a wizard

There are only three teams that deserve Wembanyama: Hornets, Wizards, Kings.

Every other team has had their shot lately, whether deep playoff runs/titles (Spurs, Jazz, Bulls) or constant top 3 picks over the last 5 years (Rockets, Magic, Thunder)

Constant top 3? Thunder has had one top 5 pick within the last 5 years. Hornets had LaMelo Ball at 3rd pick just 2020. Kings had Marvin Bagley at 2nd pick 2018. You could make a case for Wizard but they have been middle of the pack team with Beal. And just recently traded for Porzingis.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,457

Post#507 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:23 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:I wasn't that into the NBA Draft when LeBron or Greg Oden or Shaq came around given the coverage from Europe. How would you old schools compare the hype & potential of Wemby to the all-time prospects (I don't care if they failed once they got into the league, I'm just talking about everything up until draft day)

As someone who actively kept up with all the guys you listed leading up to their respective drafts I'd say Lebron was far and away the most hyped prep player ever and it's not even close. Aside from that it's been mostly big men getting the level of hype Wemby enjoys currently. I wasn't around for the Ewing, Hakeem and Kareem hype, much less Wilt but I'd rank the most-hyped prospects since 1990 as follows:

1. Lebron (by far)
2. Oden
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion
7. Probably Derrick Coleman, but everyone below Davis is on a much lower hype tier.

Personally I think the only reason Oden had more hype than Shaq and Duncan was due to greater exposure. Everyone Duncan and up was considered an absolute sure-thing that practically guarantees your team titles. Zion and Davis were obvious picks and considered future MVP-level players but not on the same level as the three Centers above them.

I'd put the current Wemby hype at Davis-level, but it's still early. By June I won't be surprised if he's firmly in the Oden/Shaq/Duncan tier and expected to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I don't expect him to match Lebron's hype, maybe if he were an American player, but a foreign prospect has zero shot of revving up the hype train King James rode his final two years of high school.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#508 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:49 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:I wasn't that into the NBA Draft when LeBron or Greg Oden or Shaq came around given the coverage from Europe. How would you old schools compare the hype & potential of Wemby to the all-time prospects (I don't care if they failed once they got into the league, I'm just talking about everything up until draft day)

As someone who actively kept up with all the guys you listed leading up to their respective drafts I'd say Lebron was far and away the most hyped prep player ever and it's not even close. Aside from that it's been mostly big men getting the level of hype Wemby enjoys currently. I wasn't around for the Ewing, Hakeem and Kareem hype, much less Wilt but I'd rank the most-hyped prospects since 1990 as follows:

1. Lebron (by far)
2. Oden
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion
7. Probably Derrick Coleman, but everyone below Davis is on a much lower hype tier.

Personally I think the only reason Oden had more hype than Shaq and Duncan was due to greater exposure. Everyone Duncan and up was considered an absolute sure-thing that practically guarantees your team titles. Zion and Davis were obvious picks and considered future MVP-level players but not on the same level as the three Centers above them.

I'd put the current Wemby hype at Davis-level, but it's still early. By June I won't be surprised if he's firmly in the Oden/Shaq/Duncan tier and expected to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I don't expect him to match Lebron's hype, maybe if he were an American player, but a foreign prospect has zero shot of revving up the hype train King James rode his final two years of high school.

Would've never thought Duncan was that highly regarded coming out given his personality and game, but I guess he was a big in the 90s
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#509 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:00 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
sfernald wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Porzingas beal and wem and we back baby

No, Wizards are laser focused on mediocrity.

That’s actually a fact....

Our Holy Grail search for mediocrity is getting bulldozed by a brutal, brutal part in our schedule that will maybe put us on a trajectory for one of the worst 30-game stretches in recent memory.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,457

Post#510 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:01 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:

1. Lebron (by far)
2. Oden
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion

Would've never thought Duncan was that highly regarded coming out given his personality and game, but I guess he was a big in the 90s

He was the surest of sure things, his temperament and game directly played into that assessment. Obviously not highly marketable, but front offices absolutely loved the no drama superstar with a fundamentally sound game. It was a big plus for organizations worried about the outsized power of young players ruining the league, which was a major concern at the time due to contracts being completely out of whack (Juwan Howard's deal at that time, later KG's was even crazier) and fear of hip-hop influence which seems quaint in retrospect.

Duncan would have gone 1st in 1996 so by 1997 it was a foregone conclusion how draft night would play out. If anything going back to school probably helped him with a lot of front offices, who had a much more old-school mentality than today, lots of chatter about how mature and impressive he was for staying in school.
Genjuro
Sixth Man
And1: 223

Post#511 » by Genjuro » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:38 am

Hornet Mania wrote:

1. Lebron (by far)
2. Oden
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion

I don't agree. Oden was very hyped but not that crazily much. Zion wasn't on a much lower hype tier than Davis. Actually, I would say Zion was second only to LeBron in this century. And staying in this century, after those four (Lebron, Zion, Davis and Oden), Durant has to come next.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,975

Post#512 » by Eagle4 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:26 am

Hornet Mania wrote:

1. Lebron (by far)
2. Oden
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion

Yea this incorrect. AD definitely didn't have more hype than Zion coming out.The only person who had more hype coming out of school was Lebron.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,332

Post#513 » by TheHartBreakKid » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:23 am

pseudonym28 wrote:I think he will go to Charlotte or DC

Either of those teams would be fun, as a neutral fan who wants to see more up and coming `. Those teams and the Spurs. I think the Pistons, Magic, and Thunder have more than enough young talent with star potential. Obviously though my opinion doesn't matter if you're a fan of the Pistons, Magic or Thunder and you take him no questions asked if you win the lottery if you're one of those teams.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,737

Post#514 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:10 am

Well we don't know what is left from the Spurs culture once Pop is retired (which should be close, right?)
Magic and Charlotte... I don't know, I haven't seen them do anything good recently.

I think the best bet for Wemby is OKC or Pistons, ideally OKC. Some great players already and tonnes of things to trade when they decide to start winning, which might very well be from Victor's year 1.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 729

Post#515 » by UglyBugBall » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:05 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:

1. Lebron (by far)
2. Oden
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion

Zion had significantly more hype thab Davis did. He is second only to LeBron and Oden.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,767

Post#516 » by TrustFundBaby » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:00 pm

I think people here mix up two definitions of hype which makes it hard to compare prospects.

IMO there is MEDIA hype, and EXPECTATIONS hype. If we are talking media hype, then yes, someone like Zion could be argued to be most hyped since Bron/AD. In terms of expectations, hell no. That's just Bron and now Wemby,

Here are some mock drafts before Zion's freshman season at duke

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2789663-way-too-soon-2019-nba-mock-draft-rj-barrett-early-favorite-to-go-no-1
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2018/09/12/early-2019-nba-mock-draft/?sh=28e61b7a19eb
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/22/17473998/nba-mock-draft-2019-duke-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-cameron-reddish

RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Zion were all on the same level as prospects before playing at Duke., with RJ leading the pack.

Wemby has been the clear cut best prospect in the world since he was at least 16, Mike Schmidt, Assistant GM of the Trailblazers said he is the best prospect he's ever evaluated. You could find other execs/scouts saying the same thing. Nobody said this **** about Zion

You put all these recently hyped #1s in a draft together, and only Bron MIGHT go above Wemby
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,119

Post#517 » by UcanUwill » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:38 pm

6 blocks in last game, personal record so far.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,706

Post#518 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:10 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:

1. Lebron (by far)
2. Oden
3. Shaq
4. Duncan
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion

Duncan made NBA1st team and was top 5 in MVP voting as a rookie. You didnt even need to project much because he was clearly one of the best bball players in the world while at Wake.
turnaroundJ
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#519 » by turnaroundJ » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:27 am

It feels like Wemby is on Oden level hype. Right next to Lebron.

Zion wasn’t even number one on draftexpress for most of his college season.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,569

Post#520 » by HardenGoat » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:00 pm

Kineto wrote:He played last week againt Monaco (currently 2nd of the euroleague), and put big number once again.
27 pts / 11 board.

(for those who has concern about the poor level of the previous oponents)

Those were some pin point passes, hadn’t seen that yet. His jumper is getting smoother too.

Return to The General Board