Lakers In a Solid Place?

Moderators: bwgood77, KingDavid, Domejandro, cupcakesnake, Harry Garris, ken6199, infinite11285, zimpy27, bisme37, Dirk

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,018
And1: 3,777
Joined: Aug 02, 2016
     

Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#1 » by Pelly24 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:45 pm

Lakers have won 7 of their last 10. LeBron remains a top 5ish player.

Westbrook was a negative in the past, but off the bench, he can cook most 2nd units so he's more of an advantage than a problem now. Thomas Bryant is knocking down shots and not being a huge defensive liability. Schroder is playing well and can shoot, Reaves and Lonnie Walker can shoot and are coming back soon enough. They just got Rui, who can probably average 15 if needed. Beverly does stuff. There's more I'm forgetting too. But also, AD, who was playing like peak AD when he got injured, is coming back. It's now a decent supporting cast with shooting, tertiary playmaking and two All-NBA 1st team guys. Look out.
Pythagoras
Analyst
Posts: 3,378
And1: 2,925
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: KC, Mo
     

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#2 » by Pythagoras » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:08 pm

Pelly24 wrote:Lakers have won 7 of their last 10. LeBron remains a top 5ish player.

Westbrook was a negative in the past, but off the bench, he can cook most 2nd units so he's more of an advantage than a problem now. Thomas Bryant is knocking down shots and not being a huge defensive liability. Schroder is playing well and can shoot, Reaves and Lonnie Walker can shoot and are coming back soon enough. They just got Rui, who can probably average 15 if needed. Beverly does stuff. There's more I'm forgetting too. But also, AD, who was playing like peak AD when he got injured, is coming back. It's now a decent supporting cast with shooting, tertiary playmaking and two All-NBA 1st team guys. Look out.


They’re in a pretty good place. I’m still hopeful for one more small trade, but I do agree they’re in a solid place.
Numbers rule the universe.
LFAHFN22
Junior
Posts: 293
And1: 586
Joined: May 23, 2015
       

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#3 » by LFAHFN22 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:11 pm

Though I appreciate your thread contributing to the cause, there still are not nearly enough Lakers threads on the General Board.
Bornstellar
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,284
And1: 12,226
Joined: Mar 05, 2018
 

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#4 » by Bornstellar » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:12 pm

Last I checked 12th in the West outside of the play-in while potentially owing your pick to another team is not really a "solid place."

They're better off but that isn't saying much. They have a long way to go before being in a solid place.
User avatar
The High Cyde
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,122
And1: 9,489
Joined: Jun 06, 2014
Location: Egghead Island
     

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#5 » by The High Cyde » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:13 pm

They’re basically in the thick of it, despite their starting record and Davis being injured as usual. Ain’t no one wanna play this team in the first round.
Image
CraftylikeaFox
Rookie
Posts: 1,100
And1: 1,472
Joined: Dec 19, 2018
   

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#6 » by CraftylikeaFox » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:14 pm

They have Lebron and AD. Of course they’re short term outlook is good. Still don’t think they can compete with any of the top teams though when it’s going to matter.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
Posts: 21,004
And1: 11,539
Joined: Jul 10, 2006
Location: The Motel 9 in Vegas
       

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#7 » by Kilroy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:17 pm

Solid would be a first round lock, or a shot at the FRP in the draft... Right now, we're a potential playoff threat who could be completely derailed by another AD injury or one to LeBron...

Not solid... Purgatory with a bullet is more accurate...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
User avatar
cupcakesnake
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,433
And1: 16,464
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#8 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:25 pm

Can't wait for the final 15 games of the season (with the Lakers 30-37) for someone to make another "here come the Lakers" thread after they win 2 in a row and aren't mathematically eliminated from the play-in.

I mean... I'm curious to see how AD looks when he comes back, but some of you have been waiting for the Lakers to put it together for 3 years now. Give it up.
the artist formerly known as jamaalstar21
RRR3
Senior
Posts: 746
And1: 1,278
Joined: May 26, 2019
   

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#9 » by RRR3 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:27 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Can't wait for the final 15 games of the season (with the Lakers 30-37) for someone to make another "here come the Lakers" thread after they win 2 in a row and aren't mathematically eliminated from the play-in.

I mean... I'm curious to see how AD looks when he comes back, but some of you have been waiting for the Lakers to put it together for 3 years now. Give it up.

3 years? They were still a great team when healthy two seasons ago. They've only been bad since the WB trade
heezyo2o
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,684
And1: 856
Joined: Oct 16, 2004

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#10 » by heezyo2o » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:30 pm

I haven't been able to watch too many games in January, but after AD went down, I think they figured some things out. So possibly a blessing in disguise.

Curious to see how Bryant plays and his minutes when AD comes back. I could see them still going small and Rui getting a good amount of time...so limited minutes for Bryant
User avatar
cupcakesnake
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,433
And1: 16,464
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#11 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:31 pm

RRR3 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Can't wait for the final 15 games of the season (with the Lakers 30-37) for someone to make another "here come the Lakers" thread after they win 2 in a row and aren't mathematically eliminated from the play-in.

I mean... I'm curious to see how AD looks when he comes back, but some of you have been waiting for the Lakers to put it together for 3 years now. Give it up.

3 years? They were still a great team when healthy two seasons ago. They've only been bad since the WB trade


Their poor health is a part of their struggles (they went 42-40 in 2021 because they couldn't stay healthy). Neither Lebron or AD have been able to stay on the floor since 2020. I root for both their health but I don't expect it at this point. It would be cool to see another healthy AD-Lebron run but it's similar to expecting Kawhi to make another healthy playoff run. It's within the realm of possibility, but not something fans should wait for or expect.
the artist formerly known as jamaalstar21
User avatar
KingFox
Analyst
Posts: 3,617
And1: 3,092
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
 

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#12 » by KingFox » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:48 pm

Idk anyone that would wanna play them in round 1, that's for sure. Kings Lakers would be soooo freaking fun though
jasonxxx102
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,732
And1: 1,825
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#13 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:51 pm

Solid enough to be an easy 1st round out if they get there. Yes
RRR3
Senior
Posts: 746
And1: 1,278
Joined: May 26, 2019
   

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#14 » by RRR3 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:54 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
RRR3 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Can't wait for the final 15 games of the season (with the Lakers 30-37) for someone to make another "here come the Lakers" thread after they win 2 in a row and aren't mathematically eliminated from the play-in.

I mean... I'm curious to see how AD looks when he comes back, but some of you have been waiting for the Lakers to put it together for 3 years now. Give it up.

3 years? They were still a great team when healthy two seasons ago. They've only been bad since the WB trade


Their poor health is a part of their struggles (they went 42-40 in 2021 because they couldn't stay healthy). Neither Lebron or AD have been able to stay on the floor since 2020. I root for both their health but I don't expect it at this point. It would be cool to see another healthy AD-Lebron run but it's similar to expecting Kawhi to make another healthy playoff run. It's within the realm of possibility, but not something fans should wait for or expect.

They went 42-30 not 42-40, and they would have been thrilled to win at that pace the last two years.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 31,100
And1: 28,201
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#15 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:59 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Can't wait for the final 15 games of the season (with the Lakers 30-37) for someone to make another "here come the Lakers" thread after they win 2 in a row and aren't mathematically eliminated from the play-in.

I mean... I'm curious to see how AD looks when he comes back, but some of you have been waiting for the Lakers to put it together for 3 years now. Give it up.


Lakers could go on a 13 game win streak to finish the season.. their schedule is soft as butter.

If healthy they will be a top 4 seed in the West.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
Free Rider
Starter
Posts: 2,399
And1: 1,309
Joined: Mar 26, 2009

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#16 » by Free Rider » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:02 pm

We're in a place where we're mostly dependent on AD coming back and staying healthy just to make it into the play-in. There's nothing solid about that at all. My outlook on this team is better than it was about a month ago but we're still a lottery team if AD doesn't bounce back to his peak season form and stay healthy. Personally I find watching AD play to be nerve-racking because he's always at the precipice of going down for another month or two and ending whatever hopes we have this season.
Jadoogar
RealGM
Posts: 11,537
And1: 10,705
Joined: May 06, 2010
   

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#17 » by Jadoogar » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:06 pm

They are only 2 games behind the 6th seed. I think they survived the AD injury period as well as could be expected. As he returns and they add depth, they should be able to escape the play-in zone or atleast get into the upper bracket. The teams infront of them haven't been inspiring

Thunder, Warriors, Jazz, Wolves, Suns. I think the Jazz will for sure take a step back, just need one more team for the Lakers to move up.
G35
RealGM
Posts: 21,885
And1: 7,389
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
     

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#18 » by G35 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:09 pm

What do some of these comments even mean?

- They are solidly in the playoff hunt
- No one wants to play them in the 1st round

Exactly who do the Lakers want to play in the 1st round?

I don't think the RS is any indication of a team's strength anymore. With all of the load managing and no one really caring about the RS, does anyone have any idea how teams are going to play once they get to the playoffs? Its really hard to say. We have now gotten to this, turn it on when we get to the playoffs mentality.

But you know, if we take that into consideration, the Lakers are in a good spot. Because Lebron always turns on "Playoff Mode" every year. So the Lakers have that going for them.

Image

Image
I'm so tired of the typical......
ShulaDon92
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,931
And1: 1,759
Joined: Oct 08, 2022

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#19 » by ShulaDon92 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:13 pm

Lakers so cooked and just trying to sell tix.

Solid like doo doo.

He/him
Straight man
48 yo
I nominate Spoelstra for Heat GM and next President of BB Operations
User avatar
cupcakesnake
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,433
And1: 16,464
Joined: Jul 21, 2016
 

Re: Lakers In a Solid Place? 

Post#20 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:28 pm

RRR3 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
RRR3 wrote:3 years? They were still a great team when healthy two seasons ago. They've only been bad since the WB trade


Their poor health is a part of their struggles (they went 42-40 in 2021 because they couldn't stay healthy). Neither Lebron or AD have been able to stay on the floor since 2020. I root for both their health but I don't expect it at this point. It would be cool to see another healthy AD-Lebron run but it's similar to expecting Kawhi to make another healthy playoff run. It's within the realm of possibility, but not something fans should wait for or expect.

They went 42-30 not 42-40, and they would have been thrilled to win at that pace the last two years.


True true my bad. I'm fine with saying 2 years and not 3, but the injuries started piling up that season. Can we settle on 2.5? :lol: They started the season 21-6 and near the end of the season they were 37-30 after some lengthy AD injuries, they won their last 5 games to squeak into the 7th seed where and AD didn't allow them to play a super competitive series.
the artist formerly known as jamaalstar21

Return to The General Board