Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic?

Moderators: bwgood77, KingDavid, Domejandro, cupcakesnake, Harry Garris, ken6199, infinite11285, zimpy27, bisme37, Dirk

basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 21,558
And1: 8,711
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#41 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:44 pm

It'll be must be TV if the Magic make the 8th seed.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
The Rainmaker
Junior
Posts: 467
And1: 276
Joined: Jul 07, 2018

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#42 » by The Rainmaker » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:31 pm

Matchups I guess.

During the 2001-02 season the last place Chicago Bulls swept the defending world champion Lakers in a season series. Two years ago the terrible Minnesota Timberwolves swept the 1st place Utah Jazz in a season series. Last seasons Memphis Grizzlies lost 3 times to the awful Portland Trail Blazers and lost both home meetings.

These things just happens.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 21,558
And1: 8,711
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#43 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:40 pm

The Rainmaker wrote:Matchups I guess.

During the 2001-02 season the last place Chicago Bulls swept the defending world champion Lakers in a season series. Two years ago the terrible Minnesota Timberwolves swept the 1st place Utah Jazz in a season series. Last seasons Memphis Grizzlies lost 3 times to the awful Portland Trail Blazers and lost both home meetings.

These things just happens.
One season I remember the Magic beating the 60+ win Cavs team several times in the regular season. In the ECFs no one gave the Magic a chance against the Cavs who swept through the playoffs. The Magic won in 6 and it could've been 5 if LeBron didn't make a last second shot.

dennythedino
Senior
Posts: 671
And1: 549
Joined: Feb 14, 2020
 

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#44 » by dennythedino » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:16 pm

JT3000 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Celtics didn't take Orlando seriously whenever they played.


How many consecutive losses does it take to start taking a particular team seriously? If this is the excuse the Celtics wish to use, it says a lot about them, none of it good.

Ugalde wrote:just a regular season aberration. we see them all the time. celtics would crush them in the post season.


How can you be so sure? How does one go from losing a season series to "crushing" that same team in the playoffs? How often does that even happen? :-?


A combination of matchup problems and downplaying to their competition.

IIRC, prime Kobe Lakers had a losing record against the Gerald Wallace/Emeka Okafor Bobcats.
Creativetran
Junior
Posts: 405
And1: 240
Joined: Apr 14, 2019
 

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#45 » by Creativetran » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:27 pm

RunOKC wrote:Celtics were missing guys in all 3 losses and the Magic aren’t a bad team

Happens

You do know the magic have lead the league in games missed from injuries the past two years right?
jezzerinho
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,300
And1: 847
Joined: Jul 08, 2019
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#46 » by jezzerinho » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:31 pm

RookieStar wrote:The curse of Eddie House. Somehow, Magic players easily channel their inner Celtic Killers when they see him.


I think there's a lot more truth to this than many other reasons given.

Magic are a bunch of kids, who are probably pretty easily motivated by pundits doubting their ability. Older.guys are jaded by that stuff.

House really got under the Magic players' skin (not to mention a lot of fans).

The last 2 wins were a total fûck you to House.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 16,265
And1: 4,175
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#47 » by RookieStar » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
RookieStar wrote:The curse of Eddie House. Somehow, Magic players easily channel their inner Celtic Killers when they see him.


I think there's a lot more truth to this than many other reasons given.

Magic are a bunch of kids, who are probably pretty easily motivated by pundits doubting their ability. Older.guys are jaded by that stuff.

House really got under the Magic players' skin (not to mention a lot of fans).

The last 2 wins were a total fûck you to House.


Yup.. they are just continuing the Magic tradition started by Raefer Alston...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 34,477
And1: 9,815
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Winter Garden, FL
   

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#48 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:33 pm

Creativetran wrote:
RunOKC wrote:Celtics were missing guys in all 3 losses and the Magic aren’t a bad team

Happens

You do know the magic have lead the league in games missed from injuries the past two years right?
The Magic were missing a ton of players the first 3 games.
aka: prorl
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 34,477
And1: 9,815
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Winter Garden, FL
   

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#49 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:45 pm

It's a matchup thing, the Magic matchup gives Boston problems. The top two players for the Magic are bigger than Boston top two players and play the same positions and that bothers them, makes them work harder for their shots. Then the Magic has an abundance of length and height with Bol, Bamba, Issac with skill. The Magic are able to cover alot of ground to make their shots tougher. The Magic have talent it's just that they are young and lack reliable guard production and had a crazy amount of injuries this season, at times the Magic had no PG's available.
aka: prorl
User avatar
Rockazoids
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,764
And1: 1,621
Joined: Jun 05, 2008
Location: Cincinnati
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#50 » by Rockazoids » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:06 am

I know if I was running the Knicks what unis they would be wearing tonight.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
RB34
General Manager
Posts: 8,331
And1: 11,117
Joined: Nov 14, 2017
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#51 » by RB34 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:14 am

Hard to believe this thread is serious
RB34
General Manager
Posts: 8,331
And1: 11,117
Joined: Nov 14, 2017
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#52 » by RB34 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:15 am

Creativetran wrote:
RunOKC wrote:Celtics were missing guys in all 3 losses and the Magic aren’t a bad team

Happens

You do know the magic have lead the league in games missed from injuries the past two years right?


What does that have to do with the last game? Are you saying they’d be a 1 seed without those injuries?
User avatar
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 49,656
And1: 32,318
Joined: Dec 11, 2006
Location: InDreams
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#53 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:22 am

RB34 wrote:Hard to believe this thread is serious


Big "we weren't trying bro" energy.

It's a legit question. We've had injuries and you guys have had injuries. You guys were still beating teams without certain players.

It doesn't mean in a playoff matchup Celtics wouldn't sweep or win easily, but they have struggled.
RB34
General Manager
Posts: 8,331
And1: 11,117
Joined: Nov 14, 2017
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#54 » by RB34 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:43 am

SOUL wrote:
RB34 wrote:Hard to believe this thread is serious


Big "we weren't trying bro" energy.

It's a legit question. We've had injuries and you guys have had injuries. You guys were still beating teams without certain players.

It doesn't mean in a playoff matchup Celtics wouldn't sweep or win easily, but they have struggled.


Big “disregard the nuance of the season” energy.

Nobody is saying that the Magic are a bad team. You’ve got a crazy bright future ahead of you with some absolute ballers.

To say the Celtics can’t beat the Magic is laughable.
User avatar
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 49,656
And1: 32,318
Joined: Dec 11, 2006
Location: InDreams
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#55 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:48 am

RB34 wrote:To say the Celtics can’t beat the Magic is laughable.


I don't think that's the argument for most people though. It's GB so some ppl are going to have outrageous opinions but it's safe to say the Celtics struggle with the size a bit, JB even alluded to it. That being said, if someone said "put money down that the Magic would beat the Celtics in a playoff series", or hell, even get maybe 2 games.. I wouldn't feel confident in that.

That being said, a young team like the Magic who have also dealt with injuries being a nuisance to any contending team is a step in the right direction. We also beat the Warriors 2-0 so it's not like we think we're finals contenders :lol:, we are hoping for a play-in spot more than anything, but having another pick is cool too.
Priest24
Pro Prospect
Posts: 833
And1: 744
Joined: Aug 11, 2017
     

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#56 » by Priest24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:58 am

Big mouth wanna be controversial former role players.
My opinion may not be your opinion or their opinion but I have it.
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
Posts: 2,060
And1: 557
Joined: Oct 14, 2007

Re: Why Can’t the Celtics Beat the Magic? 

Post#57 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:40 am

Length.

Return to The General Board