Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 333

Re: Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys? 

Post#101 » by bullsaficianado » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:52 am

PlatinumState wrote:Same reason people didnt buy Tim Duncan jerseys back in the day. They bought MJ, Kobe, Carter and Iverson
Easier to relate to guards and people like flashy players

I saw a few people over the years wearing Tim Duncan jerseys. People bought them. I have never seen a single person wear a Jokic jersey though. Comparing this player to Tim Duncan is an insult to Tim.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,501

Post#102 » by DaPessimist » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:01 am

Did Shaq sell a lot of Jersey's?

Honest question.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#103 » by MTJazzv3 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:11 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:People still wear basketball jerseys?

Per previous poster - chicks don't dig dudes wearing jersey's except maybe at the actual game, or in the privacy of your own home or maybe a bar with the game on. But otherwise, my guess 90% of jersey's are sold to the less than 20-years old crowd, who also are rocking/collecting basketball shoes, trying out images. It's cool, keeps the league financial motor well-oiled.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#104 » by D.Brasco » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:15 am

DaPessimist wrote:Did Shaq sell a lot of Jersey's?

Honest question.

I think he did, as a kid I remember his Magic jersey was pretty popular and his Lakers one as well.

Shaq was always a personality and played in a major media market in his LA days. Something Jokic doesn't have.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,728

Post#105 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:58 am

Goomba3666 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:He's top 5 in AS votes at least, but yeah these are this seasons jersey sales:

Read on Twitter

Wonder if this is U.S. only or not. In Australia it felt like it was literally all KD and Curry jerseys. Lol.

A country by country breakdown would be legit.

Giannis jerseys are everywhere in Melbourne.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
twozeroMM
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,718

Post#106 » by twozeroMM » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:48 am

Nuggets imo have one of the worst unis in the league. Please go back to the baby blue and yellow.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,341

Post#107 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:51 am

Boring guy with no personality
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#108 » by Stribor » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:11 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Not that many Serbian or Nugget fans, needs more playoff success. Jokic not beating out Lebron, Curry, KD shouldn’t be surprising, these are the most popular players in the country/the world for the past decade.

He can win 3 rings in a row and I'd be surprised to see him top 5 in jersey sales.

- No social media
- Foreign (and from a country a lot of Americans couldn't point to on a map) - I mean hell, Shaq says **** in Russian to him on National TV thinking it's the same...
- No flashy crossovers, dunking on people, etc.

Well luka is number 4 and all 3 things are the same for him. I would say its Jokic look + calm personality and nothing else.
megarover
Senior
And1: 83

Post#109 » by megarover » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:jokic doesnt market himself, why it would it be surprising he doesnt have a market for his jerseys. Totally on brand.

Bingo
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,204

Post#110 » by Sgt Major » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:46 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:Boring guy with no personality

This couldn't be further from the truth.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
chuck_wagon44
Senior
And1: 625

Post#111 » by chuck_wagon44 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:07 pm

Come on man.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#112 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:14 pm

Jokic doesn't want to market himself, he hardly endorses anything. He seems like he wants to keep to himself and do his thing. Plus he is a center that's not overly athletic. Not a formula for high jersey sales.
aka: prorl
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#113 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:16 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:Did Shaq sell a lot of Jersey's?

Honest question.

I think he did, as a kid I remember his Magic jersey was pretty popular and his Lakers one as well.

Shaq was always a personality and played in a major media market in his LA days. Something Jokic doesn't have.
He did sell a ton of jerseys, the Magic were the It team in the mid 90s, he loved attention and would market himself, and even today I occasionally see people wearing Shaq Magic jerseys.
aka: prorl
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#114 » by Richard Miller » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:29 pm

Stribor wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Not that many Serbian or Nugget fans, needs more playoff success. Jokic not beating out Lebron, Curry, KD shouldn’t be surprising, these are the most popular players in the country/the world for the past decade.

He can win 3 rings in a row and I'd be surprised to see him top 5 in jersey sales.

- No social media
- Foreign (and from a country a lot of Americans couldn't point to on a map) - I mean hell, Shaq says **** in Russian to him on National TV thinking it's the same...
- No flashy crossovers, dunking on people, etc.

Well luka is number 4 and all 3 things are the same for him. I would say its Jokic look + calm personality and nothing else.

Luka got a ton of attention right from the draft, before he even played the first game, Jokic otoh

Ito
General Manager
And1: 790

Post#115 » by Ito » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:29 pm

Need me a kyrie, morant n ball jersey
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#116 » by hippesthippo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:20 am

dooki667 wrote:
hippesthippo wrote:Basketball jerseys look stupid and feel cheap. Just my opinion.

Meanwhile, I still have my Buffalo Sabres and Florida Panthers jersey's from the 90's because they never go out of style and the quality is 10x that of a current NBA Jersey.

Why hockey jersey's? I was the best damn mini-stick player in the school (maybe the country).

Sgt Major wrote:Serbs do not buy jerseys. In European ultras culture, wearing jerseys to games is considered something that only casual fans do, so fans are buying clothing made by their ultras groups and not jerseys and shirts from official shops of the teams. Hence, when fans are not even buying jerseys of their home teams, it is unlikely that they will ever buy jerseys of the team Jokic is playing for.

Now regarding the US market, he's obviously not that attractive to non-Nuggets fans, so I don't find this surprising at all, given the fact that Denver is a small market.

What is "European ultras culture"?

I got a couple Rangers jerseys quality is great but there so friggin hot I can't wear em

I see you're a New York fan. Isn't it just as cold there as it is in Michigan? Or you mean wearing them inside like at a get together with some friends?

They are warm, I'll give you that, but that's just another testament to their quality for me.
holdenwait
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#117 » by holdenwait » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:46 am

what a load of rubbish this "boring guy, no personality" thing.. just because he is not on social media and doesn't seem to attention, pops up on 10 different commercials and acts like best buddies with the TNT crew etc. ?

he is often hilarious in press conferences, and clearly a very smart but modest and down to earth man.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#118 » by antonac » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:25 am

Personally, if I'm going to buy a sleeveless top I'm going to need to suspend my belief about what a fat white guy will look like wearing it.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,591

Post#119 » by Meat » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:27 am

Hussien Fatal wrote:Pretty sure he doesn’t even crack the top 15 players in jersey sales. He’s potentially a 3 time MVP and for some reason you would assume he would be more popular among the fans but this isn’t the case relative to the other top players. I can’t think of any legitimate reason why this is, even casuals know who Jokic is. Players like Lamelo Ball, Devin Booker, and Ja Morant all generate more Jersey sales, and two of them are in smaller markets than Denver. So what’s to give?

cuz he's a plain white tee.
dooki667
Junior
And1: 253

Post#120 » by dooki667 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:55 am

hippesthippo wrote:
dooki667 wrote:
hippesthippo wrote:Basketball jerseys look stupid and feel cheap. Just my opinion.

Meanwhile, I still have my Buffalo Sabres and Florida Panthers jersey's from the 90's because they never go out of style and the quality is 10x that of a current NBA Jersey.

Why hockey jersey's? I was the best damn mini-stick player in the school (maybe the country).

What is "European ultras culture"?

I got a couple Rangers jerseys quality is great but there so friggin hot I can't wear em

I see you're a New York fan. Isn't it just as cold there as it is in Michigan? Or you mean wearing them inside like at a get together with some friends?

They are warm, I'll give you that, but that's just another testament to their quality for me.

13 years ago I moved to South Carolina. I also have over active sweat glands so like wearing cooler clothes.

Return to The General Board