Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,911

Re: Why Doesn’t anybody Buy Jokic Jerseys? 

Post#121 » by Woodsanity » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:27 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:Boring guy with no personality

Arguing with random trolls on twitter/social media doesn't mean you have a personality. :lol:

Everyone would be better off with less social media presence.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Andrew_M08
Rookie
And1: 2,802

Post#122 » by Andrew_M08 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:08 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:I don't understand why anybody buys any jersey. Pretty weird to buy overpriced synthetic cloth made in China to strongly identify with and promote the brand of an overpaid stranger and a coalition of billionaire overlords.

Careful you don't cut yourself on all that edge
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,000

Post#123 » by p0peye » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:18 pm

Does this article from 2013 give some insight?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1599327-ranking-the-decades-nba-jersey-top-sellers

Being one of the best players in the league is always going to lead to high jersey sales, unless you're somebody like Tim Duncan.

This is a spot where Nikola Jokić is today. I find this very logical, two of them having sort of same personallity and game. Hell, even winning 5 rings didn't help in Duncan's case, why would OP (or anyone else) expect Jokić to be any different?
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,328

Post#124 » by hardenASG13 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:28 pm

Woodsanity wrote:

Arguing with random trolls on twitter/social media doesn't mean you have a personality. :lol:

Isn't that exactly what you are doing here? Never understood why people get upset that KD interacts with fans and occasionally argues with them online. Almost every person does the same. He enjoys the back and forth, like most of the world population.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,331

Post#125 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:41 pm

Woodsanity wrote:

What are you even talking about? Why are you so upset that people find Jokic boring?
Black star
Junior
And1: 572

Post#126 » by Black star » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:16 pm

His game on the court is incredibly boring. He can't jump high, move fast, dunk hard, or do any of the athletic feats that make basketball such a cool sport to watch. He doesn't hit stepbacks or have great dribbling skills. A basketball highlight package full of passes is like a football highlight package full of blocking, we all get its important but that's not what most of us came here to see. You would be hard pressed to design a less interesting playstyle compared to his peers.

That plus no media presence makes it very unsurprising. Doesn't change how great he is.
Point-Forward
Sophomore
And1: 445

Post#127 » by Point-Forward » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:59 pm

Very rarely (almost never), a center gets to be as marketable as to incite the casual fans (who make up the bulk of the market) to make him a top jersey seller. The only one I can think of is Shaquille O'Neal, and im not really sure he finished top-3 in sales at any point during his career. Not counting Yao Ming because he's a special case.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#128 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:35 pm

Point-Forward wrote:Very rarely (almost never), a center gets to be as marketable as to incite the casual fans (who make up the bulk of the market) to make him a top jersey seller. The only one I can think of is Shaquille O'Neal, and im not really sure he finished top-3 in sales at any point during his career. Not counting Yao Ming because he's a special case.

Kareem in the 1970s would've been #1 or #2 at worst behind Dr. J.
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#129 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:48 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
ShazamDaShiznt wrote:

One of the funniest videos in the whole internet... the echo in that "faaaaaaaat" moment cracks me up every time

Word. Sting trying his best not to crack down from laughing.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#130 » by sashaturiaf » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:51 am

He's not a cool player

Needs to dunk more and hit more griddys
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,683

Post#131 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:57 am

]
hauntedcomputer wrote:I don't understand why anybody buys any jersey. Pretty weird to buy overpriced synthetic cloth made in China to strongly identify with and promote the brand of an overpaid stranger and a coalition of billionaire overlords.

Wouldn’t this apply to most clothing items? Or most products in general?
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,921

Post#132 » by CobraCommander » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:27 pm

BoatsNZones wrote:He's top 5 in AS votes at least, but yeah these are this seasons jersey sales:

Read on Twitter

I’m in Denver often (specially running ball and working out in cherry creek and Glendale) and I never see Jokic jerseys- I see Murray jerseys everywhere and occasionally see (Porter Jr in street clothes)....

People love Jokic but he isn’t commercially pushed or marketed - Still the best player on earth by a wide margin with only Giannis really pushing him right now. But it’s good to see Curry as the Champ and Lebron as the old guard and Giannis as the MVP/Champ and Luka as the future in right there too

It’s bad Jokic not moving merch but it’s great news for the nba to have the Giannis and Luka ready to replace Curry and Lebron when they retire

Return to The General Board