The most watchable teams in the league this season

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,248

Re: The most watchable teams in the league this season 

Post#21 » by Godymas » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:51 pm

I'm surprised at the Spurs love. I mean they are a historically beloved franchise and all. It's certainly dedication to watch a team that has maybe one or two players that might be worth keeping and a few guys worth trading. They certainly will play hard though. I liked them last year with Dejounte and saw them live too.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,666

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:35 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:
Spoiler:
G R E Y wrote:Teams that like to share the ball and don't have an ISO-centric scheme are more fun to watch. Likewise teams with superstars who are terrific in passing are more fun to watch, too.

Teams with players who take turns dribbling the air out of the ball are boring even with some flashy plays.

Of course I love watching Spurs play, even through a lot of growing pains this season. But that's the point: with no pressure of standings, watching players grow, learn to play together, and figure out how to play better is really a joy.

Sochan in particular has stood out well:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That doesn't even take into account things that don't show up on a stat sheet like timely changing of speed and direction to shift defenses and open passing or driving lanes. BBIQ and instincts and hustle.

Tre is having an improving season finishing better versus bigger players (and most of them are bigger).

Malaki has adjusted his frisbee-flat shot, creates space better, and will be a three-level scorer.

Devin who is injured is probably our best two-way player (so our best player). He improved his PPG by about 13 points from last season and he's just scratching the surface of what he can do on O.

And we're third in the league at 27.2 assists per game so it's fun to watch the movement-oriented style of play.

We're bad on D and those habits will continue to take time to instill. Frankly more players that have foundations on D are needed and that's also what this rebuild season is for.

Beyond us, Denver with Jokic is fun to watch. Luka is a wizard even though he has the ball a ton.

Kyrie and KD are probably 1 and 1a (interchangeable) in terms of pure basketball aesthetics and skill.

GSW with their movement and sharing are fun to watch too as they know their schemes so well.

No coincidence that top assist teams are GSW, Denver, us. Nets are 8th.

Utah runs some familiar schemes and their ball sharing has stood out.

Teams that defend well are fun, too. To that end, Celtics stand out consistently really well from the teams I've watched.

Off topic but I’m curious why Isaiah Roby hasn’t played more. He looked like he was starting to develop in OKC. Seems like he has been in Pops doghouse all year.

For a long time we've had a patchwork of players at the 4. Last season we started Doug McBuckets there. Before that, Keldon. We even tried Trey Lyles there as a starter before he **** up his chance to progress. So when we drafted Sochan, into the starting role he's been thrust and largely succeeded.

We have been giving periods of time to various guys and earlier in the season Diop and Roby played more. Maybe it had to do with Sochan needing time to acclimate. I agree that Roby is young and had good numbers on OKC when he played. It was a personnel numbers game when he was cut. When he does play now, he tends to over-dribble and try to score in the limited minutes he gets. It's tough to make a name for yourself and stand out when you sit a lot and come in cold. But he has to do what he excels at better than, say, Doug, whose off ball movement and drives and 3s are excellent.

Roby has to wait for his chance again and be ready, be it an injury or trade or in the minutes he does get, make sure he plays within the system.

But that we have actual depth at the PF when we need it is a nice change. I hope he sticks with us. Really likeable guy, and I do like his game, even if he hasn't had a chance to show it as much as the season has progressed.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,682

Post#23 » by Vampirate » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:42 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I can tell you the most unwatchable, and I say this as a 30+year fan, the Detroit Pistons.

I challenge anyone to sit through an entire game.

I mean, you guys have Ivy and Duren who both can be electric in their own right. from a prospect point of view they are probably watchable in that right.

I think the correct answer to this season is the Spurs. They tore everything down and are in season 1 before they get someone in the draft. Next season the answer probably won't be them though.
payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,245

Post#24 » by payton2kemp » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:45 pm

Orlando when they had Bol starting. Also started watching the lakers again just for Lebron and the tail end of his career putting up epic performances. Enjoy it while you can.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#25 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:46 pm

Denver, Dallas, Milwaukee, Memphis, GSW and OKC are the must see TV games- the nets if both KD and Kyrie there and the Pels if Zion plays

Most unwatchable- Detroit, Portland, Houston, Miami and Washington- wtf are the wizards doing again-
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,721

Post#26 » by zeebneeb » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:55 pm

Vampirate wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I can tell you the most unwatchable, and I say this as a 30+year fan, the Detroit Pistons.

I mean, you guys have Ivy and Duren who both can be electric in their own right. from a prospect point of view they are probably watchable in that right.

I think the correct answer to this season is the Spurs. They tore everything down and are in season 1 before they get someone in the draft. Next season the answer probably won't be them though.
The start watching Piston games. Got a good one coming up! Pistons visit the Nets.

That'll be one to sit through!
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,682

Post#27 » by Vampirate » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:06 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

The start watching Piston games. Got a good one coming up! Pistons visit the Nets.

That'll be one to sit through!

So how do you view Ivy's and Duren's production and to what they could potentially become? Cade of course has been discussed to death.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,959

Post#28 » by tmorgan » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:34 pm

Ivey has a ton of potential, but all the fears about him have been accurate. Horrid defender. Jumps before he thinks. Immature behavior towards teammates. He could be great. He could also be DSJ.

Duren I’m considerably higher on, and have been since the beginning, Tireless worker. Great hops, great hands, already strong as a teenager. Obviously needs to develop a lot yet, but potential to be a real force in the league.

Return to The General Board