Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation"

Moderators: bwgood77, KingDavid, Domejandro, cupcakesnake, Harry Garris, ken6199, infinite11285, zimpy27, bisme37, Dirk

Believe Riley?

Bull?
53
52%
No Bull?
48
48%
 
Total votes: 101

WillyJakkz
General Manager
Posts: 8,411
And1: 1,145
Joined: Jun 10, 2009
Location: Orlando FL

Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#1 » by WillyJakkz » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 pm

Pat Riley notes Kareem as the GOAT over MJ.

I'm calling straight "New Era fitted" cap on this or else why the hell under Riley's watch did Miami retire Michael Jordan's jersey number and the guy didn't even play for them?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/pat-riley-says-lakers-legend-kareem-abdul-jabbar-is-greatest-player-in-nba-history-hell-always-be-the-guy/amp/
User avatar
heatwillbeback
RealGM
Posts: 17,213
And1: 11,273
Joined: Jul 26, 2003
     

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#2 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:47 pm

I see no reason he would lie (he was super complimentary to both MJ and James as well).

So I do think that is his personal opinion. He explains why in his quote- longevity. I think his personal opinion is wrong, but debate is healthy.
MavsDirk41
Sophomore
Posts: 234
And1: 132
Joined: Dec 07, 2022
     

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#3 » by MavsDirk41 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:49 pm

Kareem may be the goat. He is certainly in the conversation. Not crazy to say this. I have Jordan 1a and Kareem 1b. There are 4 or 5 players in the conversation. And of course Riley sticking up for his guy.
Freighttrain
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 6,728
Joined: Aug 08, 2014
   

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#4 » by Freighttrain » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:50 pm

U can have MJ, LeBron, or Kareem as ur GOAT. There is no wrong choice in any of those picks, so why would he lie for what he believes in
Vox Populi
Junior
Posts: 289
And1: 195
Joined: Nov 20, 2022

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#5 » by Vox Populi » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:03 pm

WillyJakkz wrote:why the hell under Riley's watch did Miami retire Michael Jordan's jersey number and the guy didn't even play for them?

If that is not the most GOAT thing ever, I do not know what is. Especially as the Miami Heat are the franchise where Lebron won 50% of his rings. That one has to sting for Lebron lol.
User avatar
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 6,879
And1: 11,058
Joined: Jul 12, 2017
     

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#6 » by Harry Garris » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 pm

I could see the argument for it. Kareem is the guy who’s always overlooked in the GOAT conversation. He was the best or one of the best players in the nba forever, he has the stats, and he won a ton.
Image
jokeboy86
Head Coach
Posts: 6,360
And1: 3,201
Joined: May 08, 2007

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#7 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:10 pm

I don't know why its so hard for fans and others to be shocked that some people have KAJ over MJ and Lebron. I understand that the NBA big man is boring and not appealing to casuals and Stern (and sponsors/TV) marketing away from that has conditioned people to an extent and that also there's a larger percentage of the basketball watching audience who didn't see him play but KAJ numbers speak for themselves. I also notice that the media is very slick with the lists they create because you never see any lists about who's the greatest basketball players of all time if you combine prep/college/NBA or even just college/NBA because then there wouldn't be any debate(no eyeballs/clicks) at all.
WillyJakkz
General Manager
Posts: 8,411
And1: 1,145
Joined: Jun 10, 2009
Location: Orlando FL

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#8 » by WillyJakkz » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:11 pm

Freighttrain wrote:U can have MJ, LeBron, or Kareem as ur GOAT. There is no wrong choice in any of those picks, so why would he lie for what he believes in


It's not about who can be the GOAT, it's about the man literally had his Miami Heat franchise RETIRE Michael Jordan's #23 jersey and Jordan did not play in Miami!

How??? His actions doing the jersey retirement speak volumes over what is coming out of his mouth.

He didn't retire Kareem's #33 jersey in Miami. Because he had Alonzo Mourning? If he felt Kareem was the GOAT he could've said hey Z come up off that #33 it's going in the rafters bruh.
WarriorGM
Head Coach
Posts: 6,517
And1: 2,985
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#9 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:23 pm

As he should. He did coach and win with Kareem didn't he?
User avatar
Lalouie
RealGM
Posts: 16,452
And1: 8,105
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:30 pm

i dunno why riley joined the fray

you wanna parse all the criteria, then we can come up with AT LEAST 3 goat players, and there shouldn't be an argument. just an exclamation to their careers. to say one is better than the other is dumb


,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and lebron ain't one of them!
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 36,183
And1: 17,781
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#11 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:33 pm

Kareem, Russell, Lebron, MJ...all very reasonable choices.
User avatar
Nate505
RealGM
Posts: 11,278
And1: 8,727
Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Location: Denver, CO
       

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#12 » by Nate505 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:36 pm

I don't think it's the hottest take in the world to believe Kareem is the GOAT. He, with Lebron and Jordan and Wilt and Russell, are to me the Tier 1 NBA players of all time.

Honestly he's 3rd on my list.
donkeylips
Veteran
Posts: 2,633
And1: 1,107
Joined: Apr 22, 2010

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#13 » by donkeylips » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:48 pm

i never saw kareem play, but just looking at his stats and highlights, i can see why he would believe that
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
User avatar
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,021
And1: 1,666
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
Location: Toronto
   

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#14 » by LascelleL » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:50 pm

KAJ is one of those dudes who I think it's acceptable and understandable why someone would call him the GOAT. He has a VERY solid argument IMO I can see arguments for KAJ and/or Bill over MJ.
User avatar
Synciere
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,860
And1: 2,990
Joined: Jun 08, 2004
     

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#15 » by Synciere » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:58 pm

As many have said, Kareem is absolutely a reasonable choice as the GOAT.

That said, Riley was his coach and might, just might be biased.

Seems like anyone saying any player other than MJ is a hot take these days.
Kingdibs19
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,569
And1: 2,731
Joined: Aug 30, 2019

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#16 » by Kingdibs19 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm

WillyJakkz wrote:Pat Riley notes Kareem as the GOAT over MJ.

I'm calling straight "New Era fitted" cap on this or else why the hell under Riley's watch did Miami retire Michael Jordan's jersey number and the guy didn't even play for them?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/pat-riley-says-lakers-legend-kareem-abdul-jabbar-is-greatest-player-in-nba-history-hell-always-be-the-guy/amp/


Not blasphemous at all. Most people have Kareem top 3. Here is a breakdown of his career and accomplishments, sounds goat worthy to me:

User avatar
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,021
And1: 1,666
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
Location: Toronto
   

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#17 » by LascelleL » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:09 pm

WillyJakkz wrote:
Freighttrain wrote:U can have MJ, LeBron, or Kareem as ur GOAT. There is no wrong choice in any of those picks, so why would he lie for what he believes in


It's not about who can be the GOAT, it's about the man literally had his Miami Heat franchise RETIRE Michael Jordan's #23 jersey and Jordan did not play in Miami!

How??? His actions doing the jersey retirement speak volumes over what is coming out of his mouth.

He didn't retire Kareem's #33 jersey in Miami. Because he had Alonzo Mourning? If he felt Kareem was the GOAT he could've said hey Z come up off that #33 it's going in the rafters bruh.


Dude, it was a publicity stunt. Get over it.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,444
And1: 7,269
Joined: Nov 26, 2004
Location: TBD

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#18 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:11 pm

KAJ was my first favourite player but I can’t get there. I’ll put it this way- when they first started talking about MJ as the goat, Kareem was not the guy whose place he was taking. Riley probably just doesn’t want to say anyone else.

Kareem played for years while the talent was split up into the NBA and ABA but only made it to the finals twice in the 70s. People getting kicked out of the league, Rick Barry playing in both leagues(and neither). 6 rings, yeah. Didn’t see Dr J or other greats for years. He had one championship when he met Magic at 32 years old: then he was he man on two of those 5 Showtime chips, #2 on one and #3 on two. Russell was the man on 11, MJ was the man on 6, Mikan 5, TD 5- yeah I don’t know.

If the Lakers had lost the coin flip in 79 and Magic had not gone to LA, Kareem probably retires with one ring. Don’t think #2 overall pick David Greenwood gets him another one, let alone 5. Even if they’d traded down and taken Moncrief. Yeah I just can’t get there.
User avatar
Xatticus
Head Coach
Posts: 6,121
And1: 7,209
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
Location: the land of the blind
         

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#19 » by Xatticus » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:11 pm

I don't have any issues with Riley being wrong. To err is human.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
nikster
RealGM
Posts: 10,247
And1: 8,609
Joined: Sep 08, 2013

Re: Pat Riley Believes Kareem is the GOAT MJ Is "In The Conversation" 

Post#20 » by nikster » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:13 pm

LascelleL wrote:
WillyJakkz wrote:
Freighttrain wrote:U can have MJ, LeBron, or Kareem as ur GOAT. There is no wrong choice in any of those picks, so why would he lie for what he believes in


It's not about who can be the GOAT, it's about the man literally had his Miami Heat franchise RETIRE Michael Jordan's #23 jersey and Jordan did not play in Miami!

How??? His actions doing the jersey retirement speak volumes over what is coming out of his mouth.

He didn't retire Kareem's #33 jersey in Miami. Because he had Alonzo Mourning? If he felt Kareem was the GOAT he could've said hey Z come up off that #33 it's going in the rafters bruh.


Dude, it was a publicity stunt. Get over it.

And Jordan had an unmatched level of popularity so it would make sense to retire his jersey. There may be debate who's a better player, but there is no debate MJ was a bigger draw

Return to The General Board