NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2022-23 (part 4 - The Final MVP Countdown!)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

2 questions- 1) Who WILL win MVP -- 2) Who SHOULD win MVP (vote for 2)

Jokic will win MVP
25%
Giannis will win MVP
9%
Embiid will win MVP
18%
Tatum will win MVP
1%
Luka will win MVP
1%
Jokic should win MVP
20%
Giannis should win MVP
14%
Embiid should win MVP
11%
Tatum should win MVP
1%
Luka should win MVP
1%

Total votes: 518

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Re: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2022-23 (part 4 - The Final MVP Countdown!) 

Post#781 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 am

AleksandarN wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:
So being the favorite at a certain point (apparently now 3/4 of the way is for some reason the most important point) means you SHOULD win the award? Still doesn't make a lick of sense to me tbh.
As I've said the reasons have been shared many times. I've repeated them ad nauseam. Leading that late is a strong indication that he was on track to win it. But then the advanced stats brigade got their panties in a bunch, and went on rants on all the podcasts to get people to vote for Jokic.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

That is blatantly false

Nikola Jokic averaged 30.9 points, 13.3 rebounds and 6.9 assists in 20 games in his last 20 games in 2021-22

Joel Embiid averaged 29.3 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 20 games in his last 20 games in 2021-22.

This with a worse team around Jokic. No advanced stats needed.
So the MVP is determined the last 20 games?

-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#782 » by -Luke- » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:17 am

If you look at every season on its own (which is the case in MVP voting), I think Jokic was better in the last two seasons and you can make a good argument for him for this season. However, I understand the argument that if you look at the total of the last three seasons (including this one) between Jokic and Embiid, and one player gets all three MVPs and the other gets none, it feels wrong. In the end, MVPs matter in a historical context. It's not just a number on a piece of paper.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#783 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:23 am

-Luke- wrote:If you look at every season on its own (which is the case in MVP voting), I think Jokic was better in the last two seasons and you can make a good argument for him for this season. However, I understand the argument that if you look at the total of the last three seasons (including this one) between Jokic and Embiid, and one player gets all three MVPs and the other gets none, it feels wrong. In the end, MVPs matter in a historical context. It's not just a number on a piece of paper.
Agreed

AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,945

Post#784 » by AleksandarN » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:41 am

eyeatoma wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:As I've said the reasons have been shared many times. I've repeated them ad nauseam. Leading that late is a strong indication that he was on track to win it. But then the advanced stats brigade got their panties in a bunch, and went on rants on all the podcasts to get people to vote for Jokic.

That is blatantly false

Nikola Jokic averaged 30.9 points, 13.3 rebounds and 6.9 assists in 20 games in his last 20 games in 2021-22

Joel Embiid averaged 29.3 points, 12.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 20 games in his last 20 games in 2021-22.

Run it by me again how close was the voting between Jokic and Embiid three quarters of last season?
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#785 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:45 am

AleksandarN wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
That is blatantly false

Run it by me again how close was the voting between Jokic and Embiid three quarters of last season?
Yup exactly the numbers apart from assists are pretty damn close.

You forget to include blocks and defensive impact (eye test not advanced stats please), but thats par for the course for Jokic fans...

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#786 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:48 am

eyeatoma wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:So the MVP is determined the last 20 games?

You forget to include blocks and defensive impact (eye test not advanced stats please), but thats par for the course for Jokic fans...

So stats matter, except when they don't? lol :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#787 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:

So stats matter, except when they don't? lol
Both sides of the game matter. Embiid is a better scorer, Jokic a better passer and rebounder. Embiid is a better defender and it's not close.

AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#788 » by AleksandarN » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:16 am

eyeatoma wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:So the MVP is determined the last 20 games?

I didn't include turnovers, steals or FG% either for that matter. Defensive impact didn't didn't translate to a lot more wins(2 game difference) even though Embiid had the better teammates by far. Try again
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#789 » by AleksandarN » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:19 am

eyeatoma wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Yup exactly the numbers apart from assists are pretty damn close.

So stats matter, except when they don't? lol
Both sides of the game matter. Embiid is a better scorer, Jokic a better passer and rebounder. Embiid is a better defender and it's not close.

Jokic was the better scorer the last quarter of the season. Jokic played better down the stretch period. Like I said hypocrite.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#790 » by CobraCommander » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:00 pm

flranger wrote:Am I the only one that wonders if Jokic is so fed up with the MVP race based bullsh_t that he is intentionally taking his foot off the gas a little so the crybabies can get Embiid his MVP?

(I'm not saying 'biid is not worthy, just curious as to thoughts on Jokic intentions)

I don’t think so- or that would mean he had his foot down to get the MVP-

I think he is playing his game- and his ain’t flashy- it’s effective and efficient-

If nuggets not losing, jokic still running away with it
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,071

Post#791 » by jokeboy86 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:44 pm

NBA4Lyfe wrote:
flranger wrote:Am I the only one that wonders if Jokic is so fed up with the MVP race based bullsh_t that he is intentionally taking his foot off the gas a little so the crybabies can get Embiid his MVP?

(I'm not saying 'biid is not worthy, just curious as to thoughts on Jokic intentions)

Wouldn’t shock me if jokics game has suffered because of the desperate racial angle that Kendrick Perkins used all because jokic was about to do something that his buddy lebron never did. Embiid was just the scapegoat by perk used in place of LeBron. Klutch sports inc. needs to go out of business. Now the white voters will be shamed into not voting for jokic or be called racist by silly nba casuals. NBA better be careful, I know a lot of long time nba fans that are sick of the current nba product and now you are pushing racism on nba voters. Looks like espn and Disney learned nothing from what was a terrible tv ratings performance in 2020 during the bubble because of forcing politics into basketball

I don't think the NBA or its TV partners care at this point because they just keep assuming that as long as younger fans(who they think will be more progressive) stay watching the NBA more than other sports they'll be fine and that the older fans in the country not in the big metros will fade away over time anyway. I truly don't think the league or its tv partners care anymore about appealing to the broadest amount of people in this country. As long as they get the biggest markets or the biggest North American stars that's their M.O. now. Embiid winning the MVP(which as of right now he's in the lead) is better for their current goals than Giannis or Jokic winning another MVP. What would've been better is Ja, Zion, or Tatum winning the MVP. Or KD, Curry, Lebron winning.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,071

Post#792 » by jokeboy86 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:14 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:If the Bucks by some miracle win 60 games it would be extremely hard for me to just dismiss Giannis's case. A guy putting up the stats he is and his team winning 60 games usually that equals an MVP.
They are 2 games ahead of Philly. Difference is negligible.

But the key word would be ahead of Philly. I think out of Embiid, Giannis, Jokic whoever's team has the best record should win this year. There's no narrative this year of any of them missing their 2nd and 3rd best players for the entire season. It should come down to record this year.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#793 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:33 pm

Philly has the league's toughest remaining schedule:
Bucks, Celtics, Nuggets, Suns, Warriors, Mavs - If they are neck to neck with the Bucks at the end of the season, Embiid probably played great and deserves it. If they go say 6-6 and bucks go 8-3, the win differential would be a lot bigger probably comes down to Jokic and Giannis, IMHO.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,153

Post#794 » by M2J » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:08 pm

iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#795 » by iggymcfrack » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:05 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:If the Bucks by some miracle win 60 games it would be extremely hard for me to just dismiss Giannis's case. A guy putting up the stats he is and his team winning 60 games usually that equals an MVP.
They are 2 games ahead of Philly. Difference is negligible.

But the key word would be ahead of Philly. I think out of Embiid, Giannis, Jokic whoever's team has the best record should win this year. There's no narrative this year of any of them missing their 2nd and 3rd best players for the entire season. It should come down to record this year.

Why are people so insistent on using the teams record instead of the record when the player plays? Like if Team A goes 50-20 with Candidate and 4-8 when he’s on the bench, isn’t that more impressive for the candidate than if Team B goes 49-21 with Candidate B and 8-4 when he doesn’t play? Yeah Team B has 57 wins to 54 for Team A, but Candidate A showed himself to be significantly more valuable. This year we have:

Jokic: 45-19
Nuggets w/o Jokic: 3-5

Giannis playing at least 10 minutes: 40-14
Bucks w/o Giannis playing at least 10 minutes: 11-6

Embiid: 39-18
Sixers w/o Embiid: 9-4

If we use the teams record without their stars as a baseline, the Sixers have won an extra -0.5 games in games Embiid played due to the value he provides. The Bucks have won an extra 5 games in the games Giannis played due to the value he provides. The Nuggets have won 21 extra games due to the value Jokic provides.

Like if you just take a tiny little bit of effort to look at this, it’s obvious who the most valuable player in the league is. It’s really not that close. This should honestly be a lopsided race in favor of Jokic. If none of these guys had won an MVP yet and the media didn’t get into all this stupid hot take racism ****, I bet Jokic would get at least 90% of the vote.
PennSports
Junior
And1: 433

Post#796 » by PennSports » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:59 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:They are 2 games ahead of Philly. Difference is negligible.

Why are people so insistent on using the teams record instead of the record when the player plays? Like if Team A goes 50-20 with Candidate and 4-8 when he’s on the bench, isn’t that more impressive for the candidate than if Team B goes 49-21 with Candidate B and 8-4 when he doesn’t play? Yeah Team B has 57 wins to 54 for Team A, but Candidate A showed himself to be significantly more valuable. This year we have:

If we use the teams record without their stars as a baseline, the Sixers have won an extra -0.5 games in games Embiid played due to the value he provides. The Bucks have won an extra 5 games in the games Giannis played due to the value he provides. The Nuggets have won 21 extra games due to the value Jokic provides.

Like if you just take a tiny little bit of effort to look at this, it’s obvious who the most valuable player in the league is. It’s really not that close. This should honestly be a lopsided race in favor of Jokic. If none of these guys had won an MVP yet and the media didn’t get into all this stupid hot take racism ****, I bet Jokic would get at least 90% of the vote.

trying to find any hair you can split 8,000 times to separate players is so tiring. You are taking ridiculous small sample sizes to say that the Sixers are literally better without Embiid. Do the people here even enjoy basketball? Watch the games instead of circle jerking over 8 games someone didnt play in October for that 8,000th hair split. My god, is this what we are really talking about? If the Nuggets were 4-4 instead of 3-5 Jokic would only be half as valuable due to these calculations. When your argument relies on such flimsy information that one game WHERE THEY DIDNT EVEN PLAY can flip the entire argument on its head it might be time to re-evaluate.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,812

Post#797 » by nikster » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:07 pm

PennSports wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:

trying to find any hair you can split 8,000 times to separate players is so tiring. You are taking ridiculous small sample sizes to say that the Sixers are literally better without Embiid. Do the people here even enjoy basketball? Watch the games instead of circle jerking over 8 games someone didnt play in October for that 8,000th hair split. My god, is this what we are really talking about? If the Nuggets were 4-4 instead of 3-5 Jokic would only be half as valuable due to these calculations. When your argument relies on such flimsy information that one game WHERE THEY DIDNT EVEN PLAY can flip the entire argument on its head it might be time to re-evaluate.

Even if you don't want to look at the games they missed, the record in the games they played is still informative. Embiid would have to go 6-1 in his next 7 games to have the same record when Jokic plays. If part of the argument is about team records it makes sense to look at the record when they play
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#798 » by Purch » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:22 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:

I find this line of thinking silly, because it happens every year. You people put this narrative that a players team needs to completely fall apart when that player is gone for a player to be MVP.

Let's look at this example for probably the single best player to pick up a basketball Michael Jordan.

From 1989-1999 during Jordan's decade long dominance of the nba, which included 5 MVps during that time... You know that the Bulls were over a .500 record without him? In fact they still made the playoffs in the season he completely missed.

This argument you make, makes it sound like MVP's can never be awarded to players who have a competent front office and a good coaching staff.

The Spurs in the 2000's without Duncan? Winning record.

The Thunder record without KD throughout his entire time in OKC? 40-41. 1 game under .500.

A team does not need to collapse without their star player for them to be the MVP of the league.

There are certain teams who center their entire offensive identity around 1 player. The Wade Heat, The Young LeBron Cavs, The Paul Hornets ext. Those kind of teams will always show a bigger drop off when their star isn't there. Jokic's Nuggets are the same way.
_NoMas
Pro Prospect
And1: 897

Post#799 » by _NoMas » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:32 pm

Purch wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:

I find this line of thinking silly, because it happens every year. You people put this narrative that a players team needs to completely fall apart when that player is gone for a player to be MVP.

Let's look at this example for probably the single best player to pick up a basketball Michael Jordan.

From 1989-1999 during Jordan's decade long dominance of the nba, which included 5 MVps during that time... You know that the Bulls were over a .500 record without him? In fact they still made the playoffs in the season he completely missed.

This argument you make, makes it sound like MVP's can never be awarded to players who have a competent front office and a good coaching staff.

The Spurs in the 2000's without Duncan? Winning record.

The Thunder record without KD throughout his entire time in OKC? 40-41. 1 game under .500.

A team does not need to collapse without their star player for them to be the MVP of the league.

There are certain teams who center their entire offensive identity around 1 player. The Wade Heat, The Young LeBron Cavs, The Paul Hornets ext. Those kind of teams will always show a bigger drop off when their star isn't there. Jokic's Nuggets are the same way.

I don’t think the record when MVP candidate doesn’t play matters too much. It’s more that they shouldn’t get credit for wins without them, it’s not a cheerleading award. It’s why a lot of people will look at wins whilst MVP candidate plays, rather than lazily looking at team record.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#800 » by eyeatoma » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:56 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:

The West is horrible this year. Sixers wins have more value.

Return to The General Board