Shams: Grizzlies Suspend Ja Morant from All Team Activities

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Re: Shams: Grizzlies Suspend Ja Morant from All Team Activities 

Post#521 » by infinite11285 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:22 pm

Our aim on the GB is to maintain a harmonious environment where we can exchange thoughts, insights, and perspectives about the NBA. To achieve this, we kindly ask that we collectively refrain from discussing politics and religious ideologies. These topics, while important, often lead to diversions and can derail us from the primary focus of our discussions.

Keeping our conversations centered on the NBA allows us to explore various NBA-related topics in-depth and without outside interference.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#522 » by kg01 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:28 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:I'm hoping for 40 minimum i'd lean more towards the whole year! He should also be placed in a 3-strike protocol so if it happens one more time his career should be done. He is tarnishing his reputation, the grizzlies and the whole look of the NBA!

I know citing anything Kwame Brown says probably draws a lotta eye rolls, and rightfully so. But he said something salient in his rant against Morant. He said Ja is lowering himself to his friends' level, instead of the other way around. Thats an illustrationof how, as you mention, he's tarnishing other teams and players. Basically feeding into negative stereotypes a lot of folks in the league have worked hard to combat, fair or unfair.

And, for folks that say what he did isn't that big a deal, they're not wrong. But his actions show an escalation of bad decisions and a disregard for even basic consequences. He's also proven himself to have lied to the commissioner's face.

So, even though he hasnt done any one thing thats egregiously wrong, he has to be made to understand that it can all go away and the league will move on with or without him.
king01 :king:
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#523 » by PMONSTER » Thu May 18, 2023 12:33 pm

Stephen Jackson got 30 games for the brawl in Detroit

Ron Artest of course got a year

…. It’s crazy to me that Ja is going to approach those numbers for his social media activities.
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

Post#524 » by G R E Y » Thu May 18, 2023 12:35 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:That response was AI generated. Could he give less of a damn?

I’m pretty sure that was fake news.

Might as well have been. Drips of PR 'right thing to say' sincerity. Unfortunate choices by Ja now needing to be handled.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,797

Post#525 » by beeshma » Thu May 18, 2023 12:42 pm

Slightly OT...

Why do people think Ja is dancing when he does this ridiculous stepping move? If we were to allow that this is dancing (some doubts about this...) then you must agree that Ja is literally the worst and most limited dancer in the entire USA.

I appeal to all Ja haters... don't just hate him for the guns. Join me and feel contempt for his dancing skills!
. :lol:

beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,797

Post#526 » by beeshma » Thu May 18, 2023 12:48 pm

beeshma wrote:Slightly OT...

Why do people think Ja is dancing when he does this ridiculous stepping move? If we were to allow that this is dancing (some doubts about this...) then you must agree that Ja is literally the worst and most limited dancer in the entire USA.

I appeal to all Ja haters... don't just hate him for the guns. Join me and feel contempt for his dancing skills!
. :lol:

Seriously... this guy's vision for dancing is that it's just like standing on one of those moving walkways in the airport. :roll:

If Ja gets suspended for 50 games, let's take up a collection and pay for his dance lessons at Arthur Murray.

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

Post#527 » by G R E Y » Thu May 18, 2023 12:48 pm

LascelleL wrote:Ja had Silver's voice cracking. This man is missing half the season.

My sense of Silver's approach to dealing with players is that it comes from his partnership ethos - hey we're all in this together building the game and the brand. It's respectful and mature and leads to a lot of leeway in terms of approaching problems with good faith, taking players at their word.

But there's a resolute side to Silver as well, particularly when the game and brand are affected, and when good graces are dismissed and outright mocked to boot.

It's his job to protect and grow the game and brand with the partners. Well the partners are upset at the image this portrays and this growing consensus gives Silver a bigger plate on which to serve just desserts.

You get the sense that this will have strong consequences and this time there will not be any controversy about length or whether it's justified.

I expect a double digit game punishment, something starting with a 2.

Incredible that Morant already missed out on $40M after repeated behaviour flying in the face of team mates and league officials and the league itself yet chose to double down.

All but gave Silver the loaded FAFO ammo.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#528 » by spanishninja » Thu May 18, 2023 4:01 pm

slick_watts wrote:echoing the numerous posts in this thread which correctly point out that the legality of ja's actions is a red herring in this conversation.

ja morant is a representative of the nba, which is entitled to protect its brand image. players are punished for a myriad of things that are 'legal' but do harm to the nba's brand. see- kyrie irving and the link he shared last year.

the nba's ability to enforce such things was negotiated by the league and the player's union. being a member of the player's union, ja morant gives tacit acknowledgement of that fact.

it's just like flipping out a gun at any workplace really. it will get you fired. like it or not, if you're an NBA player, your social media is not private and you are basically on the clock with the league while on there.
DiogoLandim
Sophomore
And1: 179

Post#529 » by DiogoLandim » Thu May 18, 2023 4:20 pm

NBA is a Global product, not everyone in the world enjoys gun violence in schools and such, because things like this do promote guns to younger generations. You are not beind paid millions because of the tickets that your local american rapper friends might buy, you are being paid to represent an Association.
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#530 » by TheGOATWill » Thu May 18, 2023 4:25 pm

My favorite song is I Want You Back by Jackson 5. I'd argue it's the greatest song of all time. It causes me to break out in dance. It causes me to break out in song. If it ever causes me to whip out a gun, have me committed to the closest mental institution immediately.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#531 » by AFM » Thu May 18, 2023 5:02 pm

queridiculo wrote:Gilbert Arenas with the best advice.

"You was shooting a music video, it was a prop gun..." :lol:

lol
bigbird
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#532 » by bigbird » Thu May 18, 2023 5:16 pm

Didn't see it posted anywhere but looks like Nike had enough

Read on Twitter
?s=20
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#533 » by spanishninja » Thu May 18, 2023 5:50 pm

bigbird wrote:Didn't see it posted anywhere but looks like Nike had enough

Read on Twitter
?s=20

time to move up the launch of Devin Booker's shoe!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#534 » by Kilroy » Thu May 18, 2023 8:39 pm

Honestly, still expecting a slap on the wrist... As much as Silver talks a good game, we've had lots of evidence of him playing to the money rather than worrying too much about outside things...

One thing that just screams at you in all this, is Ja has some really bad people in his immediate support circle and he's getting really bad advice... A lot of the issues he's been accused of seem to circle back to his immediate family... I believe his mom was at the center of at least 2 of the 6... Is it really as simple as a mamas-boy with a bit of a wacky mom?...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,088

Post#535 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:55 pm

i shortened it for you, this is him the day after the draft talking about being a great role model. Idk if he lost his way, or if hes just been a pathalogical liar the whole time.... This whole thing is just mindblowing to me.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,555

Post#536 » by JimmyPlopper » Thu May 18, 2023 10:58 pm

Embiid for Morant would be a fun trade
you can't kill me - i was born dead
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 358

Post#537 » by msmoore66 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:10 pm

TheGOATWill wrote:My favorite song is I Want You Back by Jackson 5. I'd argue it's the greatest song of all time. It causes me to break out in dance. It causes me to break out in song. If it ever causes me to whip out a gun, have me committed to the closest mental institution immediately.

This is brilliant!
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#538 » by Ayt » Thu May 18, 2023 11:10 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I agree that Morant had his chances and blew it. And as far as I'm concerned, you could take every gun except for legitimate sporting firearms and throw them into the ocean. Or melt them down, whatever.

But the fact remains that the NBA's and the Grizzly's stances are racist. White gun owners flaunt their guns and call for arming teachers in the schools. But when a Black man brandishes a gun, it's the end of the world. Sponsors and fans will leave and the NBA's image will be irretrievably tarnished.

Baloney. It's racist at its core and everyone knows it.

Are those white gun owners in the NBA? If not, then what are you talking about?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,425

Post#539 » by Michael Jackson » Thu May 18, 2023 11:13 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:

i shortened it for you, this is him the day after the draft talking about being a great role model. Idk if he lost his way, or if hes just been a pathalogical liar the whole time.... This whole thing is just mindblowing to me.

I’m going to say lost his way. These aren’t his old school friends influencing him either. I think his father got too immature with the fame and it influenced JA too. I honestly don’t know but I know John Paxson scouted Ja and wanted him and he was almost too stupid on good character guys. Some people get caught up in the game and I think the Memphis crew got into Ja and has influenced this. Might have some substance abuse problems too…. he didn’t to the best of my recollection have this crew rolling with him at Murray St
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,088

Post#540 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:56 pm

drekwins wrote:Image

This is the last post I'll make. This was Chris Kaman social media post while he was in the NBA in 2011. Was this an exemplary safety moment? Pointing the gun directly at the person holding the camera?

How would this be perceived if it was a young black man, in a video form with rap music playing and some of his black friends in the background? Chris Kaman posted a bunch of similar videos in all different settings.

Have a good one, boys and girls.

this is totally fine and way different. Hes at the store where you buy guns taking a picture with an unloaded firearm because the rule of those stores is not to point loaded weapons at people. Secondly, chris kaman wasnt a face of a franchise. Thirdly, hes not accused of shoving a gun in a 17 year olds face over a pickup game, sending goons to the mall because the store staff wasnt nice to his mom, and have an incident of bringing a gun on a team plane, and then waving a gun in a club where thats illegal.

He then lied about doing better, making the commish look like a dummy, and now i have to believe the above incidents were true because the guy is obviously a liar and this is just his character.

Return to The General Board