Monty Williams reportedly turned down a 'big-money offer' from the Pistons

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Are The Pistons the least desirable coaching job in the NBA?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 55

STAT_88
Ballboy
And1: 14

Re: Monty Williams reportedly turned down a 'big-money offer' from the Pistons 

Post#41 » by STAT_88 » Thu May 25, 2023 11:47 pm

Who are the Pistons taking at 5?

I think it’s between Whitmore and Walker.

Duren
Bogdanovic
Whitmore
Ivey
Cunningham

That’s got reasonable potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,785

Post#42 » by RoyceDa59 » Fri May 26, 2023 4:46 am

He was hoping for the #1 overall pick in the draft. When that fell through he pretended to have another reason for declining.
Go Raps!!
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#43 » by Chinook » Fri May 26, 2023 4:54 am

I think he'd be a good candidate to replace Pop since he showed himself to be pretty versatile in what types of teams he can coach. I hope is going to come back, though he hasn't actually re-signed. I think he'll be back for a couple of years and Monty might want to take a bit more time to sit out and reevaluate before signing on for another job. If he really wanted his chance to coach Wembanyama, then should have a clear place as Pop's lead assistant next year with an eye toward taking over.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#44 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 26, 2023 3:21 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:He was hoping for the #1 overall pick in the draft. When that fell through he pretended to have another reason for declining.

It's not like championship experienced coaches were beating down the door to join the Cavs when they drafted LeBron.

We initially got Paul Silas to act like the grownup in the locker-room, then we got Mike Brown a defensive assistant for the Spurs then Pacers.

About the only thing of note is that they were both African Americans which may have been LeBron's primary input on the subject.

It might be possible to get someone better and more experienced to headline a rebuild, but you'd better be ready to hand-over a lot of guaranteed money, power, and control. There are certainly candidates who fancy themselves as the next Pop who's overseen pretty much everything about the Spurs for the past 30 years, but easier said than done.

Return to The General Board