Monty Williams reportedly turned down a 'big-money offer' from the Pistons

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Are The Pistons the least desirable coaching job in the NBA?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 55

HanzGruber
Senior
And1: 1,082

Re: Monty Williams reportedly turned down a 'big-money offer' from the Pistons 

Post#21 » by HanzGruber » Thu May 25, 2023 4:26 pm

hes owed 20 mil from phx anyway, i doubt he cares about big money
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,288

Post#22 » by DOT » Thu May 25, 2023 4:42 pm

Pistons just don't have an obvious "guy" despite the last 5 years having the worst record in the NBA

Like, just in the last 3 years even, they have 1 more win total than the Rockets, but for as much of a **** show that Houston was this past year, I'd say you could easily look at them and say Jalen Green, KPJ, and even Sengun would be the best prospect on the Pistons, depending on how you feel about Ivey

It reminds me of how the Knicks were not too long ago, where despite being one of the worst teams in the league consistently, we never seemed to really get any top tier young talent. Our guys were either massive busts like Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox, or guys who were good but not great, like RJ Barrett

It's tough, but you just gotta get through it. Plus, who knows, it's entirely possible that there's a guy available at 5 who becomes the best player in the class. Not super likely, and less likely he's the guy you end up picking, but still.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#23 » by buzzkilloton » Thu May 25, 2023 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#24 » by NYPiston » Thu May 25, 2023 5:59 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
You're right, they weren't there before, but they're there now. It's a great destination for stars between good weather, decent nightlife, financial opportunities with Silicon Valley (anyone can invest in anything from anywhere, but the proximity helps and IIRC it was part of what drew KD there).

And yes, the Knicks also struggle to compete with those teams for free agents, but they're still better off than a lot of other places. They got Melo via trade, but he wanted the Knicks. They signed an all-star caliber player in Brunson. Brooklyn, a team in the same market with little history was able to sign KD and Kyrie.

Creating a winning culture is important as you said, but it's just easier to do that in some cites than others.

IT's a great destination because they're winners. Players want money and a chance of winning, the superstars at least, Golden State can offer both now that they have a winning culture. They wouldn't have even been on Durant's radar before the Steph/Klay/Draymond era, I can't confirm that but I'm pretty sure of it. L.A. and Miami will always be attractive locations, it's a pretty level playing field for most other organizations depending on winning cycles. Look at Milwaukee now as another example, players want to play with winners while also getting their bag.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,123

Post#25 » by NYPiston » Thu May 25, 2023 6:00 pm

DOT wrote:Pistons just don't have an obvious "guy" despite the last 5 years having the worst record in the NBA

Like, just in the last 3 years even, they have 1 more win total than the Rockets, but for as much of a **** show that Houston was this past year, I'd say you could easily look at them and say Jalen Green, KPJ, and even Sengun would be the best prospect on the Pistons, depending on how you feel about Ivey

It reminds me of how the Knicks were not too long ago, where despite being one of the worst teams in the league consistently, we never seemed to really get any top tier young talent. Our guys were either massive busts like Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox, or guys who were good but not great, like RJ Barrett

It's tough, but you just gotta get through it. Plus, who knows, it's entirely possible that there's a guy available at 5 who becomes the best player in the class. Not super likely, and less likely he's the guy you end up picking, but still.

Did Cade Cunningham retire?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by DOT » Thu May 25, 2023 6:06 pm

NYPiston wrote:Did Cade Cunningham retire?

It's hard to evaluate his potential when he played 12 games this past year, which weren't that much better than just an okay rookie season

I'd put Ivey above him in terms of potential #1 guys, and like I said, I think you could argue any or all of Green, KPJ, and Sengun over Ivey as well.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#27 » by mattao313 » Thu May 25, 2023 6:27 pm

DOT wrote:

It's hard to evaluate his potential when he played 12 games this past year, which weren't that much better than just an okay rookie season

I'd put Ivey above him in terms of potential #1 guys, and like I said, I think you could argue any or all of Green, KPJ, and Sengun over Ivey as well.
I'd take Cade over all those guys easily.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#28 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 25, 2023 6:58 pm

DOT wrote:

Okay rookie season? One of only 10 rookies in NBA history to average 17/5/5 as a rookie.

Damn.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by DOT » Thu May 25, 2023 7:08 pm

zeebneeb wrote:One of only 10 rookies in NBA history to average 17/5/5 as a rookie.

BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#30 » by tmorgan » Thu May 25, 2023 7:08 pm

DOT wrote:

KPJ?

C’mon now. C’MON NOW.

I endure insults from anyone, trolls to mods, but that’s just…

C’MON NOW!!! KPJ OVER CADE OR IVEY?

I’m good again. Virtual yelling is calming.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 25, 2023 7:09 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Not one Piston fan is surprised. The whole franchise is in a "prove it" situation right now.

As a Pistons fan, im just hoping that the bottom of the barrel of the coaching bin, has a diamond, hell, topaz in the rough that'll Jumpstart this turd. Otherwise, another 15 years will pass by like a fart in the wind.

It really just sucks that a team like Detroit's only path to contending or even having a string of 1st and 2nd round exits is finding some gems in the draft and hoping those players fall in love with the team/city and stick around past their second deal when more desirable destinations are available to them. Basically a Giannis situation. We'll see what happens with Cleveland.

The new CBA maybe helps a little bit, but I really think the NBA needs to consider offsetting the massive advantages teams like Miami, LAL, LAC, and Golden State have in free agency. You need stars to win, and mid- and small-market cold-weather cities basically have two ways to do that when other teams have three. Then comes the matter of retaining them.

Nobody is immune from players walking out on them in free-agency. At best they may let you facilitate a trade so they get paid more or to manipulate the cap. If the desirable teams manage their cap, they will have a better shot at replacing lost talent through free-agency.

But the Lakers aren't going to the finals, it's the mostly home grown Heat/Celtics and Nuggets and while the Heat did make a huge free-agent signing, it's in no small part due to Philly not being "all in" on Jimmy Butler.

The Pistons should be worried about stuff like that it wasn't that long ago they had players like Saddiq Bey, Jerami Grant, Bruce Brown, Luke Kennard, Christian Wood, and Tony Snell on their roster. A bunch of roleplayers, sure, but perhaps they could have supported a star if/when you find one in the draft?

And for an organization that once took a bunch of misfits named Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and the 23rd pick (Tayshaun Prince) and built a world champion the problem isn't lack of draw it's talent evaluation. So, go find your next up & coming assistant like you once did when you hired Rick Carlisle. That headline coach (aka Larry Brown, Flip Saunders) will likely have to wait until the Pistons are contenders.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,207

Post#32 » by jokeboy86 » Thu May 25, 2023 7:15 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Read on Twitter

So are you saying that's where good coaches go to die?
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#33 » by tmorgan » Thu May 25, 2023 7:25 pm

tmorgan wrote:
DOT wrote:

KPJ?

C’mon now. C’MON NOW.

I endure insults from anyone, trolls to mods, but that’s just…

C’MON NOW!!! KPJ OVER CADE OR IVEY?

I’m good again. Virtual yelling is calming.

And to be fair, I double-checked. KPJ had a better season than i thought. His 4th season, of course, but still.

Ugh.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#34 » by tmorgan » Thu May 25, 2023 7:29 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Read on Twitter

So are you saying that's where good coaches go to die?

That five coach run from Curry to Loyer has to be absolute worst in NBA history in terms of competence. Lawrence Frank had some experience, but he sucked just as bad as the rest and went to front office jobs afterwards.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#35 » by HMFFL » Thu May 25, 2023 8:26 pm

Coach will look for a much more appealing job. He's overrated anyways and failed to solve many of the locker room problems that Phoenix had. He actually seemed to fuel the Ayton issues, and never spoke to Ayton last off season to connect with him to work things out, but many praised him on the GB.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#36 » by HMFFL » Thu May 25, 2023 8:28 pm

Snakebites wrote:We’re definitely the most unappealing open position.

I don’t blame him. I also didn’t particularly want him so…

I think we’re going to have to wait until most of the other open positions are filled before we hire someone. It’s like free agency where the big pieces move first.
I hope that's not the case.
I'd like to see Detroit have success again. Beautiful arena that's location has greatly improved. Hopefully a solid Coach takes notice.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,079

Post#37 » by MrBigShot » Thu May 25, 2023 9:37 pm

He's already rich and still making bank from the suns over the next 3 years.

Our head coaching position is objectively undesirable. If you are a 1st time coach you would rather go to a place with more talent. If you are an established coach we're just going to be fighting for ~11th-12th place, what's attractive about that?
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Post#38 » by Snakebites » Thu May 25, 2023 10:34 pm

We’ll hire someone. It’s still an NBA position. But nobody is going to take us when there are contending level teams considering them. Which they appear to be for Monty.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,892

Post#39 » by Sofia » Thu May 25, 2023 10:39 pm

Probably didn’t want to hear DEEEEEE TROOOOOIIIIT BASKETBALLLLLLLL 41 nights a year
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,013

Post#40 » by vxmike » Thu May 25, 2023 10:47 pm

MrBigShot wrote:He's already rich and still making bank from the suns over the next 3 years.

Our head coaching position is objectively undesirable. If you are a 1st time coach you would rather go to a place with more talent. If you are an established coach we're just going to be fighting for ~11th-12th place, what's attractive about that?

It’s the kind of job where the Pistons will have to overpay someone who is driven by the extra money.

If Cade isn’t healthy it’s mostly a dumpster fire.

Return to The General Board