Will Chris Paul Ever Play With LeBron James?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Do we see a LeBron-CP3 teamup before either's retirement?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes: 46

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Will Chris Paul Ever Play With LeBron James? 

Post#1 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri May 26, 2023 8:34 pm

The most simplest question in the world of basketball. James has already played with three banana boat buddies: Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony. Wade and Bosh have rings, Anthony retired without one. Paul is the last banana boat buddy left on James's Team Banana bucket list, but he's chillin' with Kevin Durant in hopes he can get one for him. However, there is a rumor that Suns may be going after Doc Rivers, and we know how their last joint venture ended up: Paul ditches Clippers for valuing relevancy and attention over titles, and Doc is just a bad coach overall. A second stint with Doc might bring back nightmares of their failures, encouraging CP3 to get out of Phoenix. Leaving a buyout as the only way of ever playing with his buddy and purported savior.

So let's talk James and CP3. Do they get to play together finally, be it on Lakers or some other team? Is he an actual contributor, or a DNP-CD riding the pine for a free ring? If they don't pair up, what prevents it? Money is the number one answer obviously, but perhaps there's a psychological tag to the pairing: maximum expectations, personal emotions getting in the way of business, James feeling compelled to save his buddy's legacy, another team coercing CP3 before LeBron does.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,740

Re: Will Chris Paul Ever Play With LeBron James? 

Post#2 » by jkvonny » Fri May 26, 2023 8:36 pm

Possibly. If LeBron goes to the Suns.
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,014

Post#3 » by damanick10 » Fri May 26, 2023 8:56 pm

There needs to be a third option for who cares...
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Fri May 26, 2023 8:58 pm

Once they cut CP3 this summer, probably
FIRE JASON KIDD
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#5 » by Maf » Fri May 26, 2023 9:08 pm

This is no post, this is leaked script for The Expendables 4.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
Ni Da Ye
Sixth Man
And1: 2,104

Post#6 » by Ni Da Ye » Fri May 26, 2023 9:09 pm

How much help does Lebron need?
IQ_baller wrote:MJ never played against quality teams in the finals

IQ_baller wrote:Replace MJ with Jimmy and Bulls win the same amount of rings

Realgm quality posts, ladies and gentlemen.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,331

Post#7 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri May 26, 2023 9:25 pm

yes in ice cubes big 3 league
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#8 » by iggymcfrack » Fri May 26, 2023 9:26 pm

Honestly, I could see a 3-team sign and trade this summer with the Lakers sending D-Lo to a young team, the young team sending a more dependable rotation guy to Phoenix and Chris Paul coming to the Lakers. LeBron’s expressed that he wants someone else to help with the playmaking duties during the regular season and with their immediate championship ambitions, the Lakers are one team I could see actually wanting CP3. There’s no point to re-signing D-Lo since he couldn’t stay on the floor in the playoffs, but also they don’t really want to give up the salary slot if they can help it trying to get one or two more winning years around LeBron.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,457

Post#9 » by NyKnicks1714 » Fri May 26, 2023 9:30 pm

Only if Paul gets traded to a team looking to dump salary who then waives him. Lakers would be dumb to do something like S&T Russell for him.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#10 » by Zeno » Fri May 26, 2023 9:44 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Only if Paul gets traded to a team looking to dump salary who then waives him. Lakers would be dumb to do something like S&T Russell for him.

Actually the really dumb team in that scenario is the Suns. The Lakers would be slightly less dumb.

Edit: didn't see the above trade proposal. In this case the third team in the three team trade would be really dumb.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#11 » by No-more-rings » Fri May 26, 2023 11:38 pm

No and Cp3 needs to retire.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,957

Post#12 » by Bobbymcgee » Sat May 27, 2023 12:44 am

Even if he does, he will just end up pulling his groin at some point in the playoffs like he always does anyways.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#13 » by Mr Puddles » Sat May 27, 2023 12:59 am

Zeno wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:Only if Paul gets traded to a team looking to dump salary who then waives him. Lakers would be dumb to do something like S&T Russell for him.

Actually the really dumb team in that scenario is the Suns. The Lakers would be slightly less dumb.

Edit: didn't see the above trade proposal. In this case the third team in the three team trade would be really dumb.

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think it's dumb for either team, and proposed this trade a couple of weeks ago.

The Lakers have no benefit in letting Russell walk. CP3 is expiring, they can test drive him for half a season and if they don't get the results they want, package him with a pick for an upgrade at the trade deadline (e.g. Hayward, who has one more year left on his deal, which Charlotte could be looking to dump).

For the Suns, Russell is an upgrade over Paul at this point and if they can negotiate a deal with the 3rd year as a team option - the worst risk they run is that they can peddle Russel as an expiring in the offseason combined with their pick (which they can trade again then) if he doesn't work out in Phoenix. Overpaying for Russell in the short term isn't as tough of a pill to swallow because they'd be paying CP3 for the season anyway.

It would highly depend on how much the Lakers are willing to go into the tax with extensions for Hachimura and Reeves looming.
Spoiler:
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,898

Post#14 » by C3H6N6O6 » Sat May 27, 2023 1:03 am

CP3 can be valuable to the Lakers even at his current form. The problem is injuries.

If you replaced DLo with CP3 then the Lakers could have won the whole thing this year if he stayed healthy but that is a big if. Other problem is that Suns need more defense and DLo wouldn't be the player they would trade for. They would rather try to get an inferior offensive player who can play some defense.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#15 » by Zeno » Sat May 27, 2023 1:14 am

Mr Puddles wrote:
Zeno wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think it's dumb for either team, and proposed this trade a couple of weeks ago.

The Lakers have no benefit in letting Russell walk. CP3 is expiring, they can test drive him for half a season and if they don't get the results they want, package him with a pick for an upgrade at the trade deadline (e.g. Hayward, who has one more year left on his deal, which Charlotte could be looking to dump).

For the Suns, Russell is an upgrade over Paul at this point and if they can negotiate a deal with the 3rd year as a team option - the worst risk they run is that they can peddle Russel as an expiring in the offseason combined with their pick (which they can trade again then) if he doesn't work out in Phoenix. Overpaying for Russell in the short term isn't as tough of a pill to swallow because they'd be paying CP3 for the season anyway.

Well, I guess if you don’t think Russelll is a net negative that all makes sense.

A few points though.

Suns can’t receive players in a sign and trade if they are above the first tax apron which they would be if they take back Russell and a number matching Paul’s full contract. Maybe they can sign and trade for Russell at the 15 million guaranteed of Paul’s contract but then they would be hardcapped at the first tax apron and that would make adding additional depth very difficult.
For the Lakers taking back Paul @15 m would mean they would likely be committing to go pretty deep in the tax after paying both Rui and Reeves and they would be downgrading the 3 point shooting they instead need to improve. This would also likely mean no MLE for them to add depth.
It is all not worth it for the players in question in my opinion.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#16 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sat May 27, 2023 1:15 am

Where is my “hopefully no” option?
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,471

Post#17 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Sat May 27, 2023 1:31 am

Yea they'll play together...in the Big 3 league. Lebron, WAde, Melo and CP3 will be the team...
shza
Pro Prospect
And1: 879

Post#18 » by shza » Sat May 27, 2023 2:02 am

Weighing in just to dislike the premise of the question. I feel like we’ve crossed the line from overrating vs underrating Doc. Chris Paul, on the other hand, remains extremely overrated. He’s a loser because he’s a loser; not because Doc, or Blake, or anyone else ruined his career. I also have 100x more respect for Doc as a person and professional than I ever will for whiny little b**** extraordinaire CP3.

I guess if he still retires ringless even after ring-chasing and hitching himself to the best player of his generation, so the greater failure and all the better for the ultimate poor sport.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#19 » by Lalouie » Sat May 27, 2023 2:28 am

The most simplest answer in the world of basketball.........................no
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,943

Post#20 » by Woodsanity » Sat May 27, 2023 2:31 am

I feel like CP3 is completely cooked at this point. Cant stay healthy at all.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.

Return to The General Board