Jokic vs prime arvydas

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,441

Re: Jokic vs prime arvydas 

Post#61 » by Big J » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:49 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Big J wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Sabonis is more like Alonzo Mourning than Jokic. Not remotely the same level offensive player.

Sabonis was like Alonzo Mourning on Defense. Offensively they were nothing alike. Zo couldn’t pass or shoot.

Zo was fairly decent at both. They both however were mostly athletic offensive forces at their peak. Sabonis changed his game with age, but even in the NBA, you saw a skilled passer who turned the ball over too much, took risks, and was better off not making half those fancy passes. They are MUCH closer in style than Jokic and Sabnois which is the point. Jokic's game is closer to Shaq than Sabonis.

Zo was fairly decent at both? Lol he never took 3s and his only assists came from basic passes. He didn’t have the same vision as Sabas.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,508

Post#62 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:53 pm

Big J wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Sabonis was like Alonzo Mourning on Defense. Offensively they were nothing alike. Zo couldn’t pass or shoot.

Zo was fairly decent at both. They both however were mostly athletic offensive forces at their peak. Sabonis changed his game with age, but even in the NBA, you saw a skilled passer who turned the ball over too much, took risks, and was better off not making half those fancy passes. They are MUCH closer in style than Jokic and Sabnois which is the point. Jokic's game is closer to Shaq than Sabonis.

Zo was fairly decent at both? Lol he never took 3s and his only assists came from basic passes. He didn’t have the same vision as Sabas.

he did take 3's from time to time...often to the determent of his team. And young Sabonis was hardly taking 3's himself. And again Sabonis was turnover prone with his fancy passing...
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#63 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:53 pm

Before his knee injuries Sabonis was probably the best center who ever lived. He could do it all and he was 7-4. After the injuries he was a level below Jokic and could not play the number of minutes that Jokic plays.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,182

Post#64 » by AleksandarN » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:06 pm

Big J wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Prime Sabonis was an excellent offensive center. He could shoot, pass, and put the ball on the floor. People who didn’t watch him don’t realize this.

Sabonis is more like Alonzo Mourning than Jokic. Not remotely the same level offensive player.

Ok tell me when did you see Sabonis? This is sad man
Big J
General Manager

Post#65 » by Big J » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:16 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Big J wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

What is sad is people slandering an all time great.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#66 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:07 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Big J wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

He very clearly has never watched Sabonis play. What little footage we have of young Sabonis was of a guy who relied more on his athleticism that skill. A true freak given his insane frame. Obviously, even early on his hands were exceptional and that is an area where he stands out. But to compare him with jokic, it's comical.
Big J
General Manager

Post#67 » by Big J » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:09 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Big J wrote:

He very clearly has never watched Sabonis play. What little footage we have of young Sabonis was of a guy who relied more on his athleticism that skill. A true freak given his insane frame. Obviously, even early on his hands were exceptional and that is an area where he stands out. But to compare him with jokic, it's comical.

I never saw him huh? Did you ever see him play?
ROA
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#68 » by ROA » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:25 pm

How good was other European players (and teams) in '80 and '90 if "legend say that young Arvydas Sabonis is offensively Jokić, defensively Ben Wallace", have won only 1 Euroleague (when he was 31 year old) and won only 3 gold medals with SSSR in era when you have only Yugoslavia like powerhouse next to your SSSR?!?

Jokić offens + Wallace defense = NBA GOAT

NBA GOAT = 1 Euroleague title in like 15 years
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#69 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:46 pm

Prime Arvydas had two things Jokic does not. Speed and vert. Jokic can't guard Arvydas because he can't jump.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Big J
General Manager

Post#70 » by Big J » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:47 pm

ROA wrote:How good was other European players (and teams) in '80 and '90 if "legend say that young Arvydas Sabonis is offensively Jokić, defensively Ben Wallace", have won only 1 Euroleague (when he was 31 year old) and won only 3 gold medals with SSSR in era when you have only Yugoslavia like powerhouse next to your SSSR?!?

Jokić offens + Wallace defense = NBA GOAT

NBA GOAT = 1 Euroleague title in like 15 years

Because he got injured bro.
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#71 » by RTG HD » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:49 pm

Arvydas was significantly better than Jokic. Unfortunately he did not get to play in the NBA in his prime and before injuries. Watch what he did to David Robinson in the 1988 Olympics.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#72 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:54 pm

RTG HD wrote:Arvydas was significantly better than Jokic. Unfortunately he did not get to play in the NBA in his prime and before injuries. Watch what he did to David Robinson in the 1988 Olympics.

13 points on 12 shots with 13 rebounds and 2 assists. And 1 block? That is enough to claim he was the basketball GOAT?

Holding Robinson to 19-12 on 12 shots...
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#73 » by Alatan » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:54 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Hard to judge because people think you can compare Jokic to any center that can shoot, pass and playmake but the reality is no center in NBA history can do all three at the level that Jokic is producing for the last 3 seasons.

He’s not just one of the best passes or playmakers for a center but he’s certainly among the best of all time at both.

After watching enough film of Magic/Bird, Jokic for me certainly joins that company and frankly a tier ahead of everybody else.

In chess terms (if you play you might get the analogy) if Duncan is Karpov a fundamentally perfect player in all areas then Jokic is Alpha Zero hur duh hur lets do whatever I want kind of thing.

It isn’t a vs per say because Jokic is such an outlier on ability at his size. It’s Curry all over again but more threatening imho.

Ive read a comment somewhere that said Jokic plays like if a neural network was trained for basketball and given a Boston Dynamics frame. :lol:
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,250

Post#74 » by ShootersShoot » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:19 pm

Jokic got more range, more post moves/better touch, and a better ball handler/passer, like much, much better...

Sabonis from what I saw of him in his nba career was a pretty solid mid range shooter and very good passer but more in a traditional big man sense, whereas Jokic can basically do everything a point guard does but in a 7 foot "unathletic" body.

Prime sabonis was more athletic, bigger, and probably a better defender...but overall does not have anywhere close to the offensive skillset Jokic has.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#75 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:34 pm

RTG HD wrote:Arvydas was significantly better than Jokic. Unfortunately he did not get to play in the NBA in his prime and before injuries. Watch what he did to David Robinson in the 1988 Olympics.

So I assume you have Arvydas in your top 5-10 players of all time then. If youre talking someone who is significantly better than a guy that will probably be near the top 20-25 all time by the end of the finals (if they win). So if he is significantly better than that, than I assume we are talking top 10 player of all time.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by AleksandarN » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:23 pm

Big J wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Big J wrote:

Sad is your trolling attempt. Tell me what have you watched of Sabonis? What games? I know you won’t reply because you know you have no leg to stand on. How many times is it now I called you out. Try better
Big J
General Manager

Post#77 » by Big J » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:33 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Big J wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Ok tell me when did you see Sabonis? This is sad man

Sad is your trolling attempt. Tell me what have you watched of Sabonis? What games? I know you won’t reply because you know you have no leg to stand on. How many times is it now I called you out. Try better

What games of Sabonis have you watched man? If you think you know so much about him?
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#78 » by RTG HD » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:38 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

So I assume you have Arvydas in your top 5-10 players of all time then. If youre talking someone who is significantly better than a guy that will probably be near the top 20-25 all time by the end of the finals (if they win). So if he is significantly better than that, than I assume we are talking top 10 player of all time.

Yes, unfortunately we did not get prime Arvydas in the NBA.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by AleksandarN » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:42 pm

Big J wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Big J wrote:

What games of Sabonis have you watched man? If you think you know so much about him?

Where did you see me comment on Sabonis in this thread? I certainly didn’t act like I knew what pre injury Sabonis was like. Like you did. The only reason you even in this thread is to troll. You are not very good at it either
Walton the GOAT
Sophomore
And1: 261

Post#80 » by Walton the GOAT » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:46 pm

Big J wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Big J wrote:

How little do you think of Jokic if you view people picking him over Sabonis as slander?

Return to The General Board