Shannon Sharpe leaving FS1 and ending partnership with Skip Bayless

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,827

Re: Shannon Sharpe leaving FS1 and ending partnership with Skip Bayless 

Post#101 » by ocelot17 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:26 pm

SK21209 wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:Not surprising but again this goes to show why Pardon the Interruption has been on the air as long as it's been on the air and that's because Wilbon and Kornheiser actually like(even love) each other and are actually friends and enjoy doing the show with one another. Also helps that PTI was a show that was organically formed and based off the conversations they actually had before there even was a PTI. You can tell that the "Inside the NBA" crew are obviously friends as well. SAS and Bayless will always have a rotating coworker on their shows because their relationships with their coworkers are strictly business and nothing else.

Side note, it sucks that Wilson and Kormheiser are seemingly never doing the show in person again.

Did they ever say why? Is it because kornheiser is afraid of getting COVID?
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,101

Post#102 » by duppyy » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:26 pm

Club shay shay doesn’t seem that successful apart from getting a million subs. He barely gets over 10k views with guests that are not popular.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,001

Post#103 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:29 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:I could not imagine watching those two clowns of Sharpe and Skip argue for over an hour a day. These "hot take" shows are complete garbage.

PTI is still good, but that's about it.

PTI's also perfect because it's only about a 25min show and they don't spend more than 3minutes on a topic(the bell helps a lot) unless they're talking to a guest. Problem with a lot of the other hot take shows is they are simply too long, talk literally about 3 topics maybe the entire time and everybody has to give some long soliloquy as their take. PTI's format and design was really ahead of it's time .
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#104 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:41 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:I could not imagine watching those two clowns of Sharpe and Skip argue for over an hour a day. These "hot take" shows are complete garbage.

PTI is still good, but that's about it.

PTI's also perfect because it's only about a 25min show and they don't spend more than 3minutes on a topic(the bell helps a lot) unless they're talking to a guest. Problem with a lot of the other hot take shows is they are simply too long, talk literally about 3 topics maybe the entire time and everybody has to give some long soliloquy as their take. PTI's format and design was really ahead of it's time .

Alas, Kornheiser and Wilbon will go down in history for creating the format of two people taking opposite sides and yelling at the camera about it.

At least in sports media, we've seen similar in the political arena dating way back to shows like the McLaughlin Group.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#105 » by SK21209 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 7:19 pm

ocelot17 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:Not surprising but again this goes to show why Pardon the Interruption has been on the air as long as it's been on the air and that's because Wilbon and Kornheiser actually like(even love) each other and are actually friends and enjoy doing the show with one another. Also helps that PTI was a show that was organically formed and based off the conversations they actually had before there even was a PTI. You can tell that the "Inside the NBA" crew are obviously friends as well. SAS and Bayless will always have a rotating coworker on their shows because their relationships with their coworkers are strictly business and nothing else.

Side note, it sucks that Wilson and Kormheiser are seemingly never doing the show in person again.

I think that was the original reason. They did the show out of DC though and I think Wilbon primarily lives in Arizona now.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,367

Post#106 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 7:23 pm

Dubious Handles wrote:I cant stand that clown Skip and think a lot of blame falls on him for this player debate nonsense, good on Shannon for cutting ties. Shannon is hilarious, knowledgeable and has the credentials in the sports community. He's imo way too good to be hanging out with Skip, really hope he sticks around.

You must be his burner account or part of his family cause both Sharpe and Bayless are complete imbeciles. Neither has a clue but both think they are always right on everything. Sharpe was hilarious when he was wanting to fight the entire Grizzlies team over his bff lebron james. Ill give you that.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,001

Post#107 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 7:28 pm

ocelot17 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:

Kornheiser has always had phobias(he's got a big flying one still) and once COVID hit along with his age in the beginning he thought it was too risky plus he rarely even leaves the DC area anymore aside for a few times a year. I also think that since ESPN continued to allow him to work remotely he's completely fine with just doing the show permanently now that way and he even said he cleared out his office at the studio so he's probably never coming back in person. And like someone else has said more and more lately Wilbon is exclusively in Arizona with the occasional time spent in DC/Chicago so the scheduling isn't there either.
ChartFiction
Starter
And1: 2,763

Post#108 » by ChartFiction » Thu Jun 1, 2023 9:46 pm

duppyy wrote:Club shay shay doesn’t seem that successful apart from getting a million subs. He barely gets over 10k views with guests that are not popular.

Took a look at his page, and I'm pretty sure you're just looking at the short clips cut from the full interviews. The full interviews consistently get at least 200k+ views and seem to routinely go into the millions of views every other interview. At least going back 5 months at which point I stopped scrolling. Seems like the biggest former-athlete social media platform like this that I've seen, unless I'm forgetting someone.

On the other hand Skip's page looks completely dead. Surprised he's continuing to upload.

I don't watch either, but Skip does not have the celebrity or insight to draw an audience, nor the relationships to get interviews.

Shannon Sharpe will be fine regardless of what he ends up doing.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#109 » by Jkam31 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 11:00 pm

https://youtu.be/xAcUW-2wzPA

Lmao so sharpe is basically in tears for skip calling him a name but calls nba players that go at lebron names
Charlesareed
Bench Warmer
And1: 649

Post#110 » by Charlesareed » Thu Jun 1, 2023 11:27 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:
Shannon Sharpe’s partnership with Skip Bayless is coming to a conclusion soon.

Sharpe and Fox Sports, the parent company of FS1, which airs “Undisputed,” have reached a buyout agreement, sources tell The Post.

Sharpe’s final show is expected to be after the 2023 NBA Finals conclude in June.

Sharpe’s popular “Club Shay Shay” podcast, which draws a big audience on social media and YouTube, will also be leaving Fox Sports, a source said.

I know most people on here can’t stand these guys or shows like this but I’ve always enjoyed Shannon’s takes and sense of humour. You could see this coming for a while, especially after Skip got personal with Shannon and disrespected his football career a few months ago.

I do enjoy watching both skip & Shannon will probably miss Shannon sense of humor for sure he brought a lot to the show I only watch because of skip tbh I’m also shocked at how butt hurt shannon was when Tom Brady is/was better then him skip crossed the line no doubt
Chicago Raised me
ryguy613
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,512

Post#111 » by ryguy613 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 11:47 pm

Palma Dutch wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:You could tell Shannon really had enough of dealing with Skip

Read on Twitter

I started to question my ability to grasp social contracts or what is appropriate when that tweet became a controversy. It still makes zero sense to me why it caused any outrage.

its a very oddly worded tweet from Bayless. it's pretty easy to read the tweet as "we cant cancel this game. its too important of a game" while people wondered if a guy was about to literally die because of what happened DURING that game. If you read the tweet that way, you dont see the potential for people to be offended, or at the very least find it callous and gross?
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,245

Post#112 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:08 am

eyeatoma wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:Skip vs Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons isn’t a hot take moron tho

Eh, when he's talking about the Celtics he is lol.

He’s a homer, there’s a difference. Simmons believes in what he says, these hot take merchants are just chasing eyeballs and say whatever gives that to them.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer

Post#113 » by ryguy613 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:58 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Bill Simmons isn’t a hot take moron tho

He’s a homer, there’s a difference. Simmons believes in what he says, these hot take merchants are just chasing eyeballs and say whatever gives that to them.

Bill Simmons is a different animal from Skip entirely... but i still have absolutely ZERO idea what in gods name people find appealing about him. what is Bill Simmons good at specifically? His takes cant be categorized as "hot takes"... but they are certainly not GOOD takes. theyre always always ALWAYS greatly influenced by his own personal biases, and worse still, his speaking and writing style is insanely tedious.

"like... i mean... like... is Jokic like... actually... an underrated player? Like, have we been underrating him? And like Let me explain! Let me explain! Like, ok so I watched Larry Bird play basketball for years... and bythewaythe86celticsissagreatestteamofalltimedont@me... but uh.. so i grew up watching Larry Bird and like... everyone was all about Magic Johnson right? Like it was Magic THIS Magic THAT but uh... Larry I think... as time has gone on... is just one of those guys who did everything, right? and never really got the credit for that. and like... I feel like that's what we're doing with Jokic, dont you agree?"

How people sit through THAT kind of "analysis" for fun is beyond me.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,158

Post#114 » by Tracymcgoaty » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:12 am

One would only need to look at Skips way to prominence to see that he's just...A really bad person. Matter of fact one could say the things he's done would border on evil.

Seriously look up the crap he used to do when he was a reporter/journalist for the cowboys. And i use the word Journalist loosely. He was anything but.

Skip deserves more than losing a co-host. He deserves to be blacklisted from his profession.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,245

Post#115 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:49 am

ryguy613 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Bill Simmons is a different animal from Skip entirely... but i still have absolutely ZERO idea what in gods name people find appealing about him. what is Bill Simmons good at specifically? His takes cant be categorized as "hot takes"... but they are certainly not GOOD takes. theyre always always ALWAYS greatly influenced by his own personal biases, and worse still, his speaking and writing style is insanely tedious.

"like... i mean... like... is Jokic like... actually... an underrated player? Like, have we been underrating him? And like Let me explain! Let me explain! Like, ok so I watched Larry Bird play basketball for years... and bythewaythe86celticsissagreatestteamofalltimedont@me... but uh.. so i grew up watching Larry Bird and like... everyone was all about Magic Johnson right? Like it was Magic THIS Magic THAT but uh... Larry I think... as time has gone on... is just one of those guys who did everything, right? and never really got the credit for that. and like... I feel like that's what we're doing with Jokic, dont you agree?"

:lol:

I think part of it is nostalgia for those of us who grew up on Page 2. I still listen to him but only when paired with the right person (him and Russillo are good together - pretty awesome episodes usually) or when he has a good guest on.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#116 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:29 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

:lol:

I think part of it is nostalgia for those of us who grew up on Page 2. I still listen to him but only when paired with the right person (him and Russillo are good together - pretty awesome episodes usually) or when he has a good guest on.

Yeah I loved his writing from his Grantland days. He's very hard to listen to right now.
Palma Dutch
Junior
And1: 516

Post#117 » by Palma Dutch » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:35 am

ryguy613 wrote:
Palma Dutch wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:You could tell Shannon really had enough of dealing with Skip

Read on Twitter

I started to question my ability to grasp social contracts or what is appropriate when that tweet became a controversy. It still makes zero sense to me why it caused any outrage.

its a very oddly worded tweet from Bayless. it's pretty easy to read the tweet as "we cant cancel this game. its too important of a game" while people wondered if a guy was about to literally die because of what happened DURING that game. If you read the tweet that way, you dont see the potential for people to be offended, or at the very least find it callous and gross?

Again, this is another part of a social contract or something that is over my autistic head. It wasn't fair to Skip to project false meaning onto his tweet, and because a good amount of people saw it that way, now I have to re-read it until it becomes controversial to me. It's like, what am I doing? Is a hypothetical tweet, one that was never made, callous? Sure, but the one we got from Skip came off as mundane observation to me. I don't know how to shake the first impression of it being a nothing tweet to get to the empathy for people who took it as gross.
:o
ThunderCeltic
Junior
And1: 354

Post#118 » by ThunderCeltic » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:43 am

Sharpe and Bayless are bombastic blowhards. At least my man Kendrick Perkins knows when to tone it down.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer

Post#119 » by ryguy613 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:53 am

Palma Dutch wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
Palma Dutch wrote:I started to question my ability to grasp social contracts or what is appropriate when that tweet became a controversy. It still makes zero sense to me why it caused any outrage.

Again, this is another part of a social contract or something that is over my autistic head. It wasn't fair to Skip to project false meaning onto his tweet, and because a good amount of people saw it that way, now I have to re-read it until it becomes controversial to me. It's like, what am I doing? Is a hypothetical tweet, one that was never made, callous? Sure, but the one we got from Skip came off as mundane observation to me. I don't know how to shake the first impression of it being a nothing tweet to get to the empathy for people who took it as gross.

well, thats kind of the problem with non verbal communication. you leave yourself open to interpretation. you obviously interpreted it one way, and other people interpreted it another way. He had the ability to clarify his point at any time, but if he chose not to then... yeah... it IS fair for people to attach their own meaning to it. Be clear, and careful with your words, or people can take them the wrong way... IF in fact people really WERE taking it the wrong way. who is to say they were?
Ray Donovan
Junior
And1: 143

Post#120 » by Ray Donovan » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:00 am

Shannon is just as much a idiot as Skip really

Return to The General Board