Shannon Sharpe leaving FS1 and ending partnership with Skip Bayless

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Re: Shannon Sharpe leaving FS1 and ending partnership with Skip Bayless 

Post#121 » by cdubbz » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:30 am

HanzGruber wrote:the kwame brown effect

Kwame Brown destroyed LeShannon on being a Lebron fan boy and not a real analyst etc. Debate shows have GOT TO GO especially with all these extra guys who just debate and do hot takes that aren't real hoop analysts.

Shannon has a ton of money and I hope he doesn't do anymore sports shows.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Savage_Mode
Junior
And1: 288

Post#122 » by Savage_Mode » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:04 am

IMO people who get all butthurt like grandpas about talking heads like Steven A and Skip are either too old or too young to be fans of the golden of age of WWF wrestling of the late 1990s lol. Steven A and Skip are basically doing wrestling promos. It’s just sports entertainment. If you don’t like them then you’re a defective human being.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#123 » by evilpimp972 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:31 am

ryguy613 wrote:
Palma Dutch wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:You could tell Shannon really had enough of dealing with Skip

Read on Twitter

I started to question my ability to grasp social contracts or what is appropriate when that tweet became a controversy. It still makes zero sense to me why it caused any outrage.

its a very oddly worded tweet from Bayless. it's pretty easy to read the tweet as "we cant cancel this game. its too important of a game" while people wondered if a guy was about to literally die because of what happened DURING that game. If you read the tweet that way, you dont see the potential for people to be offended, or at the very least find it callous and gross?

He never even said that, that tweet wasn't wrong at all

Read on Twitter
?

I was wondering the same at the time, does that make me non sensitive? He literally said that game should be cancelled, and asked how it would impact the schedule. And newsflash, they didn't even play :lol:
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,353

Post#124 » by xinxin » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:32 am

ryguy613 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Eh, when he's talking about the Celtics he is lol.

He’s a homer, there’s a difference. Simmons believes in what he says, these hot take merchants are just chasing eyeballs and say whatever gives that to them.

Bill Simmons is a different animal from Skip entirely... but i still have absolutely ZERO idea what in gods name people find appealing about him. what is Bill Simmons good at specifically? His takes cant be categorized as "hot takes"... but they are certainly not GOOD takes. theyre always always ALWAYS greatly influenced by his own personal biases, and worse still, his speaking and writing style is insanely tedious.

"like... i mean... like... is Jokic like... actually... an underrated player? Like, have we been underrating him? And like Let me explain! Let me explain! Like, ok so I watched Larry Bird play basketball for years... and bythewaythe86celticsissagreatestteamofalltimedont@me... but uh.. so i grew up watching Larry Bird and like... everyone was all about Magic Johnson right? Like it was Magic THIS Magic THAT but uh... Larry I think... as time has gone on... is just one of those guys who did everything, right? and never really got the credit for that. and like... I feel like that's what we're doing with Jokic, dont you agree?"

How people sit through THAT kind of "analysis" for fun is beyond me.

I used to read Bill Simmons when he was still with Page 2 of ESPN. I hated that he was a celtic homer. but I thought his articles then were interesting and funny.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,384

Post#125 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:12 pm

People should be adults and think for themselves and hold themselves ACCOUNTABLE. Wishing cancer on someone talking ish makes you lower than whatever you think of them.

dhsilv2 wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:These shows are terrible but this comment sounds pretty demented. It's never that serious.

dhsilv2 wrote:
Make me sad that we no longer have decent shows like that. Instead we have show run by people who if they got cancer, you'd root for the cancer.

Strongly disagree! The style of media isn't limited to sports. It's causing serious problems for society and 100% is costing people their lives. You can try and argue 'well not the sports shows', but this style of media continues to fester and grow if it works in one industry or another. While my intent was to make that somewhat funny, I'm dead serious that I think these shows pose serious threats to society as a whole and should be removed from TV.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#126 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:23 pm

ReddoverKobe wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:Not surprising but again this goes to show why Pardon the Interruption has been on the air as long as it's been on the air and that's because Wilbon and Kornheiser actually like(even love) each other and are actually friends and enjoy doing the show with one another. Also helps that PTI was a show that was organically formed and based off the conversations they actually had before there even was a PTI. You can tell that the "Inside the NBA" crew are obviously friends as well. SAS and Bayless will always have a rotating coworker on their shows because their relationships with their coworkers are strictly business and nothing else.

You can have a debate show. The problem is everyone else went all in the "hot take" BS.

Ya I think a lot of people are under the impression that debate style sports shows started with PTI and of course went downhill from there in terms of how they are done but there were others where journalists would essentially just sit around and talk sports. Dick Schapp had one for a long time and there was also the one with the older journalists from Chicago that was on in the 90's. I think Cosell also did things similar at times on a show he had. It leaned more towards just casual talk with some humor as opposed to just endless rants where guys try to see who can be more outraged and whatnot over nothing.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,204

Post#127 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:31 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:People should be adults and think for themselves and hold themselves ACCOUNTABLE. Wishing cancer on someone talking ish makes you lower than whatever you think of them.

dhsilv2 wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:These shows are terrible but this comment sounds pretty demented. It's never that serious.

Strongly disagree! The style of media isn't limited to sports. It's causing serious problems for society and 100% is costing people their lives. You can try and argue 'well not the sports shows', but this style of media continues to fester and grow if it works in one industry or another. While my intent was to make that somewhat funny, I'm dead serious that I think these shows pose serious threats to society as a whole and should be removed from TV.

People should, but that's not within the mental capacity for an average person. The reality is the damage to society from this form of media is massive and is hurting people.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,940

Post#128 » by Wallace_Wallace » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:53 pm

ThunderCeltic wrote:Sharpe and Bayless are bombastic blowhards. At least my man Kendrick Perkins knows when to tone it down.

Kendrick Perkins? This dude bias as a MF as well. Getting all racial with Nash/Nowitzki/Jokic was bull. Even Skip would say, "I have never seen anything like it."
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,246

Post#129 » by McBubbles » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:07 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:People should be adults and think for themselves and hold themselves ACCOUNTABLE. Wishing cancer on someone talking ish makes you lower than whatever you think of them.

dhsilv2 wrote:

People should, but that's not within the mental capacity for an average person. The reality is the damage to society from this form of media is massive and is hurting people.

100% correct.

It's not a coincidence that these supposedly innocent sports shows have exactly the same format as Fox News and other forms of talking head media. They make people think that the (Please Use More Appropriate Word) **** they hear on TV is two people having rational debate involving critical thinking and good points when in reality it's room temperature IQ drivel. If you know this it's one thing, but most people don't.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,204

Post#130 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:18 pm

McBubbles wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

100% correct.

It's not a coincidence that these supposedly innocent sports shows have exactly the same format as Fox News and other forms of talking head media. They make people think that the (Please Use More Appropriate Word) **** they hear on TV is two people having rational debate involving critical thinking and good points when in reality it's room temperature IQ drivel. If you know this it's one thing, but most people don't.

Yep! This stuff is just getting out of hand and the fact that sports media does it, honestly is worse because they're doing it where people go to relax and turn their brains off. But this just conditions us to think this is a normal, honest, valid, and reasonable form of discourse. It isn't! But we're now well away from normal sports talk. Cause this stuff just gets darker the more you peel it apart.

So yeah, for anyone wondering. I think the skips and SAS's of the world are bad people, who harm society, and yes they are at their core bad people.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#131 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:59 pm

Idk why some of you are so bothered by these types of shows…it’s literally sports ENTERTAINMENT, you want someone actually trying to educate you on the sport listen to a podcast or YouTube some coaching vids lol this ain’t that.

Just relax and enjoy the show…well Undisputed seems like it’s over now. I always assumed that most of this was built into the theatrics of the show but I guess Skip is building a pattern of being pretentious and arrogant towards co-workers. He’s going to sorely regret this move because I have no idea who’s gonna be able to come in and take Shay Shay’s spot now.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
NBA4Lyfe
Starter
And1: 1,558

Post#132 » by NBA4Lyfe » Fri Jun 2, 2023 9:48 pm

cdubbz wrote:
HanzGruber wrote:the kwame brown effect

Kwame Brown destroyed LeShannon on being a Lebron fan boy and not a real analyst etc. Debate shows have GOT TO GO especially with all these extra guys who just debate and do hot takes that aren't real hoop analysts.

Shannon has a ton of money and I hope he doesn't do anymore sports shows.

every analyst on espn is bought and paid by klutch sports

nick wright, colin cowherd, kendrick perkins, etc
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 651

Post#133 » by UglyBugBall » Fri Jun 2, 2023 9:58 pm

Dubious Handles wrote:I cant stand that clown Skip and think a lot of blame falls on him for this player debate nonsense, good on Shannon for cutting ties. Shannon is hilarious, knowledgeable and has the credentials in the sports community. He's imo way too good to be hanging out with Skip, really hope he sticks around.

Skip has been a top basketball analyst for over 4 decades now. Shannon is entertaining, but Skip has the knowledge.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,629

Post#134 » by Pointgod » Fri Jun 2, 2023 10:46 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Idk why some of you are so bothered by these types of shows…it’s literally sports ENTERTAINMENT, you want someone actually trying to educate you on the sport listen to a podcast or YouTube some coaching vids lol this ain’t that.

Just relax and enjoy the show…well Undisputed seems like it’s over now. I always assumed that most of this was built into the theatrics of the show but I guess Skip is building a pattern of being pretentious and arrogant towards co-workers. He’s going to sorely regret this move because I have no idea who’s gonna be able to come in and take Shay Shay’s spot now.

Yeah you can’t take anything these guys take seriously. They’re essentially highly paid shock jocks, but at the same time you can take exception with the product that they’re putting out there which is pretty much bottom of the barrel click bait. I find Stephan A Smith’s annoying loud mouth act more irritating than Skip’s bombastic hyperbole.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#135 » by cdubbz » Fri Jun 2, 2023 11:48 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Idk why some of you are so bothered by these types of shows…it’s literally sports ENTERTAINMENT, you want someone actually trying to educate you on the sport listen to a podcast or YouTube some coaching vids lol this ain’t that.

Just relax and enjoy the show…

NBAonTNT is entertaining AND 'good' basketball analysis or at least conversation. Sure Barkley & Shaq sometimes have a hot take or too or have some eye rolling segments, but they mix entertainment and analysis the way I enjoy most.

Hot Take sports is ONLY extreme in NBA is it not? Shannon Sharpe was clueless to the game and literally reads stats off his piece of paper and makes loud statements.

Not even former NBA players can avoid being awful with hot takes. Kendrick Perkins picks a new Championship team every other week. He makes big declarations, takes any chance he gets to say the Warrior dynasty is over, and he pushed a whole agenda against Nikola Jokic for MVP.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#136 » by SK21209 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:00 am

evilpimp972 wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
Palma Dutch wrote:I started to question my ability to grasp social contracts or what is appropriate when that tweet became a controversy. It still makes zero sense to me why it caused any outrage.

its a very oddly worded tweet from Bayless. it's pretty easy to read the tweet as "we cant cancel this game. its too important of a game" while people wondered if a guy was about to literally die because of what happened DURING that game. If you read the tweet that way, you dont see the potential for people to be offended, or at the very least find it callous and gross?

He never even said that, that tweet wasn't wrong at all

Read on Twitter
?

I was wondering the same at the time, does that make me non sensitive? He literally said that game should be cancelled, and asked how it would impact the schedule. And newsflash, they didn't even play :lol:

Yeah, never understood why it was so terrible to acknowledge the obvious logistical nightmare cancelling the game would cause. The thousands of people watching the game from miles away who can’t help Hamlin in any way are only allowed to think about how he’s doing, no one was allowed to think about how this would affect the most popular sports league in America.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#137 » by SK21209 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:02 am

At this point, if you’re lamenting the existence of shows like Undisputed and First Take because they’re bad at discussing basketball you just aren’t looking hard enough for alternatives. There are a lot of really good podcasts and YouTube channels out there that breaking these down in interesting and insightful ways.
Jfh20
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,773

Post#138 » by Jfh20 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:17 am

“Sports entertainment” can you please show us the part where this garb is entertaining?? Is skip and Shannon talkin over each other and yellin at each other entertaining?? This show is straight garbage and skip Bayless is the worst thing to happen to sports…
Ito
General Manager
And1: 775

Post#139 » by Ito » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:39 am

Childs wrote:

Literally just splice a bunch of old videos from episodes before and put them in new episodes, and its the same show.

You can do that for any of these guys

Lol at the stephen a smith video
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#140 » by NYPiston » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:49 am

God Squad wrote:Don't care what the majority say, I like Shannon more than Skip.

I think the VAST majority like Shannon more than Skip. He could basically pick his next spot, he's one of the best in the business.

Return to The General Board