Is running it back a sound option for the Lakers?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Re: Is running it back a sound option for the Lakers? 

Post#41 » by xinxin » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:08 am

I only want to see the ff next year:

AD
Lebron
reaves
Rui
Schroder
Vando
Christie - looks like he's ready to take the next step

I don't mind if they stay:

Walker
Mamba - should be healthy at least

Really iffy about:

D'Lo
Beasly
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,433

Post#42 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:15 am

zimpy27 wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:I’d say run it back except replace Russell with Kyrie and they’ll have a chance.

They can't do that unless Dallas play ball in an SnT for the LAL29FRP with DLo+Beasley+Bamba as salary match.

Kyrie, Reaves, LeBron, Vando, Davis -- Schroder, Lonnie, Rui, TT

That team is Nuggets-Suns tier next season.

Mavs are not taking Russell, Beasley and Mo Bamba back to help lebron james create another superteam. They would rather let him walk than take that deal. Its not happening. Phoenix can offer Ayton and Kyrie could play with Durant again. You dont think thats more appealing than the lakers garbage?
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,697

Post#43 » by durden_tyler » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:18 am

They're the Lakers so they could afford it. i still wish Reaves is poached by a rival.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,587

Post#44 » by Rainwater » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:20 am

Weren't they one of the best teams in the league post the trades they made and with no training camp? Additionally, although a sweep, didn't they just face the likely champions, the Denver Nuggets, in a very competitive series where all the games pretty much came down to the last few seconds? So yes, running it back wouldn't be a bad idea. However, with that being said I believe Denver is still the better team and they do need someone like Irving to beat them.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#45 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:25 am

xinxin wrote:I only want to see the ff next year:

AD
Lebron
reaves
Rui
Schroder
Vando

Walker

Really iffy about:

D'Lo
Beasly

Schroder 5m, Reaves 12m, LeBron 47m, Vando 4m, Davis 41m -- Lonnie 5m, Christie 2m, Rui 15m

$131m for that team.
I could see DLo+Beasley+Bamba+17 being traded for $40m of players to boost this team ad still sit under the 2nd Apron.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:26 am

Rainwater wrote:Weren't they one of the best teams in the league post the trades they made and with no training camp? Additionally, although a sweep, didn't they just face the likely champions, the Denver Nuggets, in a very competitive series where all the games pretty much came down to the last few seconds? So yes, running it back wouldn't be a bad idea. However, with that being said I believe Denver is still the better team and they do need someone like Irving to beat them.

Yeah they need someone that can produce more offense from the perimeter than they had. But they could also chalk up DLo disappearing to a bad stretch of games, he was bad for 3 games. Last game he was atually one of the better Laker players but he didn't get many minutes.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,103

Post#47 » by JB2 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:30 am

3 pages and no mention of FVV?

Unlike Kyrie who has no leverage to threaten to walk from Dallas since no team other than Lakers wants him and no team will offer the max, FVV can ask for that trade or he'll walk to Houston (or fill in the blank). Klutch connection should make it easier. Offer up some 2nds and at least Raptors get something for Fred. Lakers avoid hardcap, get a winner who can defend, hit shots, no fade at first sign of physicality, and be another guy to relieve ball handling pressure of LeBron for 82 games.

Do Raptor fans hate me yet?
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#48 » by Rainwater » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:35 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:Weren't they one of the best teams in the league post the trades they made and with no training camp? Additionally, although a sweep, didn't they just face the likely champions, the Denver Nuggets, in a very competitive series where all the games pretty much came down to the last few seconds? So yes, running it back wouldn't be a bad idea. However, with that being said I believe Denver is still the better team and they do need someone like Irving to beat them.

Yeah they need someone that can produce more offense from the perimeter than they had. But they could also chalk up DLo disappearing to a bad stretch of games, he was bad for 3 games. Last game he was atually one of the better Laker players but he didn't get many minutes.

Maybe I have never been a DLo guy, but he has never been reliable. With maybe the exception of the Nets, that has always been the case with whatever team he has played for. I don't expect that to change if he resigns with the Lakers. The priority for the Lakers should be to resigning Rui and Reves and signing Irving. I would love for them to also keep Vanderbilt, Dennis, and Walker but I don't know how likely that is.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#49 » by Rainwater » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:38 am

JB2 wrote:3 pages and no mention of FVV?

Unlike Kyrie who has no leverage to threaten to walk from Dallas since no team other than Lakers wants him and no team will offer the max, FVV can ask for that trade or he'll walk to Houston (or fill in the blank). Klutch connection should make it easier. Offer up some 2nds and at least Raptors get something for Fred. Lakers avoid hardcap, get a winner who can defend, hit shots, no fade at first sign of physicality, and be another guy to relieve ball handling pressure of LeBron for 82 games.

FVV is good backup option, but their priority should be Irving. I just feel like Irving gives the Lakers a better opportunity to beat the Nuggets.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#50 » by Karmaloop » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:45 am

At this point, I think FVV is probably the best "realistic" option the Lakers have to go after to fill the PG position. Pretty much leaves D'Angelo Russell in limbo though, and I don't think the Lakers want to lose the flexibility of that salary ballast.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,103

Post#51 » by JB2 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:45 am

Rainwater wrote:

FVV is good backup option, but their priority should be Irving. I just feel like Irving give the Lakers a better opportunity to beat the Nuggets.

1000%. Not even close. BUT, in order to get Kyrie you pretty much have to purge the roster of everyone outside AD/Bron/Austin/Max/Pick. Bamba, Beasley and D'lo are fine to lose. Vando is great piece to have on a team otherwise void of defenders. Rui can be retained at $15M if Kyrie is willing to take something like $34M. If that's the case, then I guess you kiss JV on forehead goodbye and wish him well. So Kyrie and how much he will demand versus what his intentions are of either getting to LA vs getting his max, will determine what's possible. I guess I just have a hard time losing all depth and then struggling to field a roster are 4 guys - 2 of which have injury/health issues and then Kyrie is a complete wild card.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:21 am

Rainwater wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Maybe I have never been a DLo guy, but he has never been reliable. With maybe the exception of the Nets, that has always been the case with whatever team he has played for. I don't expect that to change if he resigns with the Lakers. The priority for the Lakers should be to resigning Rui and Reves and signing Irving. I would love for them to also keep Vanderbilt, Dennis, and Walker but I don't know how likely that is.

DLo has also had an unusual path in the NBA wit no consistency around him since entering.

2015 - selected number 2 by Lakers
2016 - creates dissent by broadcasting Young as a philanderer
2017 - shipped to Brooklyn and developes his game a bit
2018 - Gets one of the worst teams in the NBA to the playoffs as the teams sole all star
2019 - Traded for Durant, awful fit in GSW, traded for Wiggins
2020 - Bad injury run this season
2021 - Team makes it to playoffs with him as a much improved defender, usg% dropping a lot
2022 - USG% drops even more but he's become a more efficient scorer, traded to Lakers as he's a bad fit with Gobert

You don't have to like DLo but he's had more inconsistency around him than he's been inconsistent. I'd like to see what he becomes if he sticks on a team for 3 years. That could be the Lakers or a different team entirely.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,936

Post#53 » by Potential » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:24 am

They should run it back. They're the best team in the league by far once LeBron recovers from surgery
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#54 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:50 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
xinxin wrote:I only want to see the ff next year:

AD
Lebron
reaves
Rui
Schroder
Vando

Walker

Really iffy about:

D'Lo
Beasly

Schroder 5m, Reaves 12m, LeBron 47m, Vando 4m, Davis 41m -- Lonnie 5m, Christie 2m, Rui 15m

$131m for that team.
I could see DLo+Beasley+Bamba+17 being traded for $40m of players to boost this team ad still sit under the 2nd Apron.

DLo is a free agent so he can't be sign-and-traded with the pick. They could trade Beasley + Bomba plus #17 for something. Either that, or they could wait until December 15th and trade some combination of Beasley + Bomba + DLo + 2029 pick for something.

One other option is to trade their #17 pick this year for a 2024 pick, and then wait until December 15th to trade that 2024 pick with filler for a better player.

But at the very least, I'd say their roster for the beginning of next season would looks something like this:

Guards:
Schroeder ($4.4M BAE)*
Reeves ($20M)*
Beasley ($16.5M)
Christie ($1.7M)

Forwards:
Lebron ($46.9M)
Hachimura ($16M)*
Vanderbilt ($4.7M)
MLE ($12.2M)

Centers:
Davis ($40.6M)
Bamba ($10.3M)
Vet Min ($1.7M) (Maybe Zeller or Mo Wagner?)

Asterisks are guesses. That puts them at a payroll of $175M which is right at the Super Tax Apron. And that doesn't account for their pick.

Looking at those cap numbers, they might have to let Bamba go this summer just to make sure their payroll situation doesn't get too dicey. That would really only leave Beasley as totally expendable cap filler in any type of mid-season trade.
jus a fan
Sophomore
And1: 163

Post#55 » by jus a fan » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:39 pm

Lakers made it to the WCF but it wasnt easy.

Play in game went into OT if they lose that game they playing Den 1st round and end up 1st round exit

They play Mem next and win in 6 but they had some blow outs each and super close games in that series that could have gone either way

Then they play Gs and win in 6 but they had some blow outs each and super close games in that series that could have gone either way

They get swept in 4 to DEN but Laker fans are not impressed because they were close in every game.

This notion that they are all of a sudden a shoe in for WCF vs DEN next year is ridiculous. The ball bounced there way this year
next year could be another story

If the close games with Den give you confidence the close games vs Mem and GS should give you fear
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#56 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:02 pm

It's in their DNA to chase a third star, but I don't think it's a good idea. I prefer depth and sound role players especially with LeBron nearing 40.

The most they'll probably do is trade the 17th pick with an expiring (Beasley) for a Buddy Hield type. Bring back Reaves and Rui, not sure about Russell. Maybe sign and trade for Fred van Vleet.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

Post#57 » by xinxin » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:11 pm

jus a fan wrote:Lakers made it to the WCF but it wasnt easy.

Play in game went into OT if they lose that game they playing Den 1st round and end up 1st round exit

They play Mem next and win in 6 but they had some blow outs each and super close games in that series that could have gone either way

Then they play Gs and win in 6 but they had some blow outs each and super close games in that series that could have gone either way

They get swept in 4 to DEN but Laker fans are not impressed because they were close in every game.

This notion that they are all of a sudden a shoe in for WCF vs DEN next year is ridiculous. The ball bounced there way this year

If the close games with Den give you confidence the close games vs Mem and GS should give you fear

This new Lakers core has only been together since February & did not have the benefit of a full training camp.

In fact some media analysts have said that if this was the lakers team since October last year, they wouldn’t be a play in team but a legit contender—. Perhaps no. 3 in the west at least..

& Definitely not a team that needed to go 18-10 their last 28 games just to make the play in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jus a fan
Sophomore
And1: 163

Post#58 » by jus a fan » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:33 pm

xinxin wrote:

This new Lakers core has only been together since February & did not have the benefit of a full training camp.

In fact some media analysts have said that if this was the lakers team since October last year, they wouldn’t be a play in team but a legit contender—. Perhaps no. 3 in the west at least..

& Definitely not a team that needed to go 18-10 their last 28 games just to make the play in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these the same media that shipped the chip to PHX after their trade. and dont pretend the media and analysts dont have a Laker bias.

I agree they would be a top 4 seed but there is still work to be done Dont just assume the same team will make the WCF again.

Minn almost beat them in playin. They gonna try to improve.
Phx core was together less than Lakers how will they look with Full training camp and filling up there roster
the west has lots of teams that can improve. Healthy Pels Healthy Clips Nuggets Phx Retooled GS
It will be no cake walk to WCF
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#59 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:35 pm

giberish wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
RoyceDa59 wrote:I’d say run it back except replace Russell with Kyrie and they’ll have a chance.

They can't do that unless Dallas play ball in an SnT for the LAL29FRP with DLo+Beasley+Bamba as salary match.

Kyrie, Reaves, LeBron, Vando, Davis -- Schroder, Lonnie, Rui, TT

That team is Nuggets-Suns tier next season.

Even that probably doesn't work. Taking back Kyrie in a S&T deal hard-caps the Lakers at the apron. Unless FA's are taking major discounts to go to/stay with the Lakers they can't fit all of them. Rui at least is gone, possibly Schroder or Lonnie as well.

Realistically you end up with a nice-looking starting five and an all min salary bench.

The second tax apron (179.5 million) is pretty much is going to be a hard cap for teams anyways moving forward. But adding a third max or near max guy when you are already paying AD and LeBron almost 100 million? It makes it impossible to have any depth.

If you are paying those three dudes 130 million? That leaves just 49 million for the other 12 spots. And remember if you use your mid level exception? The 179.5 million threshold becomes a hard cap. So it essentially leaves you with the mid level and 10 vet minimums at that point.

There is no room to **** around with a 3 star build under the new CBA.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#60 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:39 pm

Memphis is in a bad spot with Ja, obviously. Does he play next year after Silvers statement yesterday?

Golden St and the Clippers are going to be focused on cutting salary to get out of the draconian second tax apron penalties. I don’t see how either of those teams get better. Only worse. I don’t see how the Suns retain Ayton. They may even have to ship out CP just to clear room to add some depth.

Who is the fast riser in the West right now that jumps up? I don’t see anybody being the clear and obvious answer.

Return to The General Board