Reporter asks Nick Nurse "Do You Want James Harden Back?"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,244

Re: Reporter asks Nick Nurse "Do You Want James Harden Back?" 

Post#61 » by Statlanta » Fri Jun 2, 2023 9:20 am

I thought both Nurse and the reporter looked bad here, Nurse for ignoring the question like a politician and the reporter for asking such an inane question from the previous regime that should get his credentials revoked
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#62 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 10:11 am

[youtube][/youtube]
CrabDribbler wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:So unprofessional and rude. Just a horrible reporter on this clip

If you're really managed to get outraged about this you probably need to give the whole internet a rest for a few months.

There’s a good number of cupcakes on here. Apparently the word “sheep” is bad to use now.

My assumption is its how you’re using the word and not the word itself
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,314

Post#63 » by Froob » Fri Jun 2, 2023 10:17 am

Idk what type of answer he’s expecting to get lol. Even if he doesn’t want Harden, he’s not going to trash him to the media. He didn’t even coach him.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#64 » by Snotbubbles » Fri Jun 2, 2023 11:50 am

Froob wrote:Idk what type of answer he’s expecting to get lol. Even if he doesn’t want Harden, he’s not going to trash him to the media. He didn’t even coach him.

The question had nothing to do with the answer. To Eskin, the answer wasn't relevant at all. All he wanted was to see HOW Nick Nurse answered the question. Then when Eskin goes on his radio show, he can speculate based off of this and, other information he can obtain from his sources within the organization, what he thinks will happen this offseason with Harden.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#65 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:25 pm

Statlanta wrote:I thought both Nurse and the reporter looked bad here, Nurse for ignoring the question like a politician and the reporter for asking such an inane question from the previous regime that should get his credentials revoked

He probably agreed with you, he kinda went out of his way to make a pitch to harden publicly. I wonder if they really do want him back at 35 million though
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#66 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:46 pm

Duffman100 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
CrabDribbler wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: If you're really managed to get outraged about this you probably need to give the whole internet a rest for a few months.

There’s a good number of cupcakes on here. Apparently the word “sheep” is bad to use now.

My assumption is its how you’re using the word and not the word itself

Yeah, I agree sometimes people need to be called on not thinking things through enough for themselves, but using 'sheep' at this point feels corny. That word to me signals someone who's actually not thinking for themselves but has some opinion they learned on the internet but they think isn't popular, trying to insult people who have another opinion that they learned on the internet. Not meant to make an actual point but rather to make people feel unmanly for not having your opinion.

In any case, I don't think we need to band together as a society to prevent millionaire professional competitors like Nurse from being semi-aggressively asked questions that the sports public wants to hear answers to. Of all the things to be upset about, that don't feel real or right.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#67 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:53 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
Froob wrote:Idk what type of answer he’s expecting to get lol. Even if he doesn’t want Harden, he’s not going to trash him to the media. He didn’t even coach him.

The question had nothing to do with the answer. To Eskin, the answer wasn't relevant at all. All he wanted was to see HOW Nick Nurse answered the question. Then when Eskin goes on his radio show, he can speculate based off of this and, other information he can obtain from his sources within the organization, what he thinks will happen this offseason with Harden.

Yup, this entire thread about a non-topic is exactly what Eskin and many others exist to do. Just try to gin up something that audience will find controversial or worth arguing about, and boom that's a couple hours worth of programming.

Sports radio is almost never about sports, it's generally just manufactured arguments that allow people to announce their values. That's why people on those shows are going to talk for 5 x's as much about Ja Morant (a random player bounced a few rounds again) than about Jokic and the Nuggets (the actual biggest current sports story)--Morant is a vehicle for people to announce their views and random scattered thoughts on discipline, social media, the kids these days, etc, while to talk about the Nuggets you have to discuss things like motion sets and the reads Jokic is making and why role players step up or not etc, things that many people don't pay attention to or ultimately care about. When they do talk about the Nuggets at length it'll end up with some argument like 'do Euro players have better morals than American ones?' and then that'll just be about social media and the kids these days etc again. It's weird when you step back, but people really, really like to pass the time talking about their values over and over again.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,768

Post#68 » by TheGeneral99 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:03 pm

I thought Nick handled this well.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Post#69 » by Tacoma » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:55 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Rainwater wrote:I fail to understand how this was a bad question, it's a legit question. And the reporter was right, Nurse didn't really answer the question even after being called out for not doing so.

The question was improper and unprofessional. Further, it betrays the intelligence of the individual asking it. A journalist with integrity wouldn't launch into an introductory press conference for a new hire by trying to paint him into a corner.

It is not Nick Nurse's job to make personnel decisions or to question such decisions made by his employers, especially in a public forum. He couldn't answer affirmatively unless he knew for certain that Harden would be returning, but nobody but Harden has access to such information until he makes a decision on his player option. The only proper response was evasion. The reporter knew this in advance and fired the second barrel immediately in anticipation. It's a textbook example of journalistic douchebaggery.

I agree interrupting Nurse mid-sentence to ask the question was improper and unprofessional. But the question itself: "Do you want James Harden back?" was neither an improper nor unprofessional question to ask of an incoming coach. It's an expected question that Nurse should've prepped for.

Nurse's answer was "Harden is a great player," which didn't answer the question. Maybe the reporter could've phrased in nicer tone, like: "don't mean to be rude, sir, but respectfully can you please answer my question?" it's a valid question.

Frankly, I prefer this straightforward questioning than the softball questions you normally get in these situations. Nurse is a defense first coach and Harden doesn't play defense, thus one might wonder whether Nurse actually want Harden back.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,739

Post#70 » by Jadoogar » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:03 pm

otterpop_ wrote:I thought the "that doesn't answer the question" response after he's barely had time to speak was rude, not the question itself.

Nurse is coming from a way different standard in Toronto. Most of the Raptors media work for media companies that are also owned by the MLSE (the same organization that owns the Raptors). That's why a lot of fans in Toronto dislike the toronto media, it was also always softball questions.

It's good that he's getting some tougher questions and follow up now. I agree that it was a little rude to interrupt him but it was clear from the way he started that Nurse was about to give a non-answer and just say "harden is a great player"
NirvanaFC
Veteran
And1: 2,600

Post#71 » by NirvanaFC » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:15 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

Yup, this entire thread about a non-topic is exactly what Eskin and many others exist to do. Just try to gin up something that audience will find controversial or worth arguing about, and boom that's a couple hours worth of programming.

Sports radio is almost never about sports, it's generally just manufactured arguments that allow people to announce their values. That's why people on those shows are going to talk for 5 x's as much about Ja Morant (a random player bounced a few rounds again) than about Jokic and the Nuggets (the actual biggest current sports story)--Morant is a vehicle for people to announce their views and random scattered thoughts on discipline, social media, the kids these days, etc, while to talk about the Nuggets you have to discuss things like motion sets and the reads Jokic is making and why role players step up or not etc, things that many people don't pay attention to or ultimately care about. When they do talk about the Nuggets at length it'll end up with some argument like 'do Euro players have better morals than American ones?' and then it's about social media and the kids these days etc again.

Now I'm curious... who actually listens to sports radio? The same people who love to watch Fox News and CNN?
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#72 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:25 pm

NirvanaFC wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

Sports radio is almost never about sports, it's generally just manufactured arguments that allow people to announce their values. That's why people on those shows are going to talk for 5 x's as much about Ja Morant (a random player bounced a few rounds again) than about Jokic and the Nuggets (the actual biggest current sports story)--Morant is a vehicle for people to announce their views and random scattered thoughts on discipline, social media, the kids these days, etc, while to talk about the Nuggets you have to discuss things like motion sets and the reads Jokic is making and why role players step up or not etc, things that many people don't pay attention to or ultimately care about. When they do talk about the Nuggets at length it'll end up with some argument like 'do Euro players have better morals than American ones?' and then it's about social media and the kids these days etc again.

Now I'm curious... who actually listens to sports radio? The same people who love to watch Fox News and CNN?

A lot of commuters and workers in Philly listen to it, mostly folks over 40 probably. But this is the same thing that most mainstream sports media does, almost exactly what Skip Bayless and co do for example in their longer-form shows. I'm not even knocking it--their job is to talk for hours about sports and keep people engaged, and most people don't want to stop what they're doing and watch tape that breaks down games and follows exactly what's happening or break down strategies. Most listeners/viewers are already half-focused on something else or else don't really want to analyze--they want to hear talk, opinions, etc and pass the time and make them feel part of a conversation. I guess it's sort of the same thing that cable news does, but I think people are maybe less aware that it's all just jabbering on about values and identities since the topic is sports (which isn't supposed to be serious) and not politics (which people follow to be serious).

I'd also say that this is how sports talk is IRL. It's pretty rare that I have real sports talks with people in my daily life, most people I ecnounter want to do that other thing, even in sports bars or at arenas. Like in Philly it's easy to talk all day about what was wrong with Ben Simmons and how they could fix it, or how Embiid needs to man up, or how players now aren't tough enough to do the little things. I get bored with it after a few minutes but still do it.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,668

Post#73 » by ConSarnit » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:35 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Rainwater wrote:I fail to understand how this was a bad question, it's a legit question. And the reporter was right, Nurse didn't really answer the question even after being called out for not doing so.

The question was improper and unprofessional. Further, it betrays the intelligence of the individual asking it. A journalist with integrity wouldn't launch into an introductory press conference for a new hire by trying to paint him into a corner.

It is not Nick Nurse's job to make personnel decisions or to question such decisions made by his employers, especially in a public forum. He couldn't answer affirmatively unless he knew for certain that Harden would be returning, but nobody but Harden has access to such information until he makes a decision on his player option. The only proper response was evasion. The reporter knew this in advance and fired the second barrel immediately in anticipation. It's a textbook example of journalistic douchebaggery.

This, as much as it's a legit question, Nurse can't answer that question. Puts the team into too many uncomfortable situations, and is definitely not the first impression you want to make with both your bosses sitting next to you. Howard Eskin is a complete **** who tries to get these sound bites so he can talk on his radio show. He has done this with Larry Brown, Mo Cheeks, Brett Brown, Doc, and everyone in between. Nurse handled it as well as you could.

What? Of course he can answer that question.

"Do you want Harden back?"

"Yes, Harden is a great player"

Who cares if it's true. Haven't you Philly guys learned that having your coach/teammates throw people under the bus publicly doesn't work out? If Nurse just says "yeah I hope he's back" that's the end of. Now there is, even if small, some type of can of worms about this.

Someone tell me what the downside is of Nurse saying he wants Harden back, even if he doesn't mean it? It builds goodwill with Harden. If he actually doesn't want him back he could tell Morey in private. There is zero upside for Nurse here to saying anything other than "yes I'd like Harden back". Given the Houston rumors, Harden could be looking for any reason (no matter how small) to justify leaving. Is this a Harden problem? Yes. But don't give anyone any reason to not put 100% of the blame on Harden if he walks.

Part of your job as an NBA coach (getting paid millions of dollars) is to deal with the media and answer tough questions (not that this even was one). You don't want to skirt questions like this when it could possibly create small cracks that could turn into something bigger. The guy who asked the question might be a dick (seems like that's his rep) but it's very easy for Nurse to give a simple political answer here. Hesitation like Nurse did will lead to speculation in which other idiot media members will try to snowball. Eskin will probably try to use it in his own show. Don't give them fodder.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#74 » by Xatticus » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:47 pm

Tacoma wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

I agree interrupting Nurse mid-sentence to ask the question was improper and unprofessional. But the question itself: "Do you want James Harden back?" was neither an improper nor unprofessional question to ask of an incoming coach. It's an expected question that Nurse should've prepped for.

Nurse's answer was "Harden is a great player," which didn't answer the question. Maybe the reporter could've phrased in nicer tone, like: "don't mean to be rude, sir, but respectfully can you please answer my question?" it's a valid question.

Frankly, I prefer this straightforward questioning than the softball questions you normally get in these situations. Nurse is a defense first coach and Harden doesn't play defense, thus one might wonder whether Nurse actually want Harden back.

The question itself is not improper. Asking Nick Nurse to answer it at his introductory presser was. He does not make personnel decisions. It's not his job. That is his boss' job. The reporter was basically asking Nurse to put on record his opinion on what his boss should do. I don't have to explain how hierarchies work, right?
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 1,003

Post#75 » by GameChannel » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:56 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

The question itself is not improper. Asking Nick Nurse to answer it at his introductory presser was. He does not make personnel decisions. It's not his job. That is his boss' job. The reporter was basically asking Nurse to put on record his opinion on what his boss should do. I don't have to explain how hierarchies work, right?

I dont understand this defense of Nurse. He was asked a question about whether he'd want Harden back as a player on the team he's the coach for. He could've simply answered "Yes! But that decision is for Harden to and Front to sort out". But no, he chose to be political leading to unnecessary speculation. I'm glad the reporter insisted that Nurse answer the question. More of thar from all reporters please!
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#76 » by John Murdoch » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:02 pm

Harden is a gonner , i will say its no coincidence he shows up and thats the lone MVP season for Embiid
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#77 » by Woodsanity » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:07 pm

If I were Nurse I would just say of course I would. Even if you are lying so what?

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#78 » by Snotbubbles » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:25 pm

John Murdoch wrote:Harden is a gonner , i will say its no coincidence he shows up and thats the lone MVP season for Embiid

Before Harden, Embiid had Ben Simmons who refused to shoot. It was like playing 5 on 4 on the offensive end. Literally, any guard who could shoot the ball would have improved Embiid because it would have improved the Sixers spacing.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#79 » by Tracymcgoaty » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:19 pm

If a reporter interrupted me mid sentence with blatant disrespect i'd ask him what his **** problem is. And then i wouldn't answer any of his questions for the rest of the press conference. **** the fines ain't no way you get to just disrespect someone like that.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#80 » by chrisab123 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:24 pm

Rainwater wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:So unprofessional and rude. Just a horrible reporter on this clip

lol welcome to Philly. The whole northeast is like this tbh

Completely agree, places like Boston, New York, and Philadelphia really take their sports seriously.

Northeast Cities are not for the weak. Coaches and Players get grilled daily. Its nuts. But if you win up here you're essentially a god.

Return to The General Board