Where you at Butler? Step up dude

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Re: Where you at Butler? Step up dude 

Post#61 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jun 3, 2023 5:55 pm

Butler simply is not very talented, that's all there is to it, he has maximized his talent as much as it was possible. The mystery is how people see this as a bad thing. People prefer the uber talented players, the players that have god given abilities, and hate more the players that overachieve based on their raw talent, though they are the same people that don't like people being rich mostly due to inheritance.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,385

Post#62 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Jun 3, 2023 5:59 pm

I think fan bases get way too quick to adjust expectations when a player is playing out of their minds. Regression to the mean should always be expected when we're watching an outlier performance. This goes for teams and individual players.

When Booker was shooting 80% against Denver in the second round, some Phoenix fans were talking like this was now the expectation. The next game Booker had 28 points on 42% shooting (a slightly below average performance for Booker, but much closer to his normal game) and some Phoenix fans were saying Denver caught a big break.

Jimmy averaged 37ppg on 60/44/70 splits. Since then he's struggled with shooting consistency. Overall, we're seeing Butler playoff numbers that resemble his regular season numbers. That should be the expectation. I can see Butler having another heroic game or two in this series (he'll need to do more than that for Miami to gain a real advantage, I think), but also have bad games against Denver, who has good matchups to throw at him. In general this year, Denver has been good at defending the kinds of shots that Butler likes. You need to murder Denver at the rim because their perimeter defense is really good but they lack rim protection.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Jfh20
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,773

Post#63 » by Jfh20 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 6:35 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Butler simply is not very talented, that's all there is to it, he has maximized his talent as much as it was possible. The mystery is how people see this as a bad thing. People prefer the uber talented players, the players that have god given abilities, and hate more the players that overachieve based on their raw talent, though they are the same people that don't like people being rich mostly due to inheritance.

Yep, and this is going to be the 2nd time the heat go this far and lose.. at some point heat will have to accept that they cannot win a title with a sub par average player leading them. Juss waisting time
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#64 » by Dan Z » Sat Jun 3, 2023 6:52 pm

CoP wrote:I think it's less injuries and more that he's just tired. Knicks was a long, physical series. And then the conference finals went 7 games with games every other day. Miami really needed to eliminate the Celtics earlier so they could rest up some more for the Finals.

Maybe the rest between game 1 and game 2 will help him. We'll find out on Sunday.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#65 » by Dan Z » Sat Jun 3, 2023 6:53 pm

Jfh20 wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:Butler simply is not very talented, that's all there is to it, he has maximized his talent as much as it was possible. The mystery is how people see this as a bad thing. People prefer the uber talented players, the players that have god given abilities, and hate more the players that overachieve based on their raw talent, though they are the same people that don't like people being rich mostly due to inheritance.

Yep, and this is going to be the 2nd time the heat go this far and lose.. at some point heat will have to accept that they cannot win a title with a sub par average player leading them. Juss waisting time

If they lose the series what do you think they should do going forward?
Jfh20
Bench Warmer

Post#66 » by Jfh20 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 12:25 am

Dan Z wrote:
Jfh20 wrote:

I would package butler/herro for picks.. jimmy at the end of his career and he’s also not leading any teams to titles, but he can be a nice complimentary piece next to Joel.. and herro I have Alrdy seen hes a bust. Only way to get rid of herro is by packaging him with jimmy. ask for 4 frps and youth.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#67 » by Dan Z » Sun Jun 4, 2023 12:32 am

Jfh20 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Jfh20 wrote:Yep, and this is going to be the 2nd time the heat go this far and lose.. at some point heat will have to accept that they cannot win a title with a sub par average player leading them. Juss waisting time

I would package butler/herro for picks.. jimmy at the end of his career and he’s also not leading any teams to titles, but he can be a nice complimentary piece next to Joel.. and herro I have Alrdy seen hes a bust. Only way to get rid of herro is by packaging him with jimmy. ask for 4 frps and youth.

Is Herro that bad? He puts up solid stats. I know he has a contract extension kicking in, but he's only 23 years old. If the Heat wanted to move on from him (I don't think they do) then I imagine they could at least get neutral value for him. I don't think they'd have to give up assets.

The Sixers first round picks are tied up until 2027. Would Miami want picks in 2029, 2031, and 2033? I'm not sure if Philly does that or what a deal would look like (they'd have to match salary too).

But, if you're looking for picks for Butler there are other teams (not that I really think Miami will trade him).
Jfh20
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by Jfh20 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 12:41 am

Dan Z wrote:
Jfh20 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Is Herro that bad? He puts up solid stats. I know he has a contract extension kicking in, but he's only 23 years old. If the Heat wanted to move on from him (I don't think they do) then I imagine they could at least get neutral value for him. I don't think they'd have to give up assets.

The Sixers first round picks are tied up until 2027. Would Miami want picks in 2029, 2031, and 2033? I'm not sure if Philly does that or what a deal would look like (they'd have to match salary too).

But, if you're looking for picks for Butler there are other teams (not that I really think Miami will trade him).

Ya I was jus giving examples, does not have to be Philly.. can be any team really. Is herro that bad? Yes, he is… I think herros awful and the heat only started to play better without him. The heat have been trying to get rid of herro for awhile now… no one wants him..
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,697

Post#69 » by durden_tyler » Sun Jun 4, 2023 1:24 am

DorianRo wrote:Game 2 of the ECF was the last time you showed up to play? How do you put up 50 plus against the Bucks then turn to bench warmer status? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: You're not old like me. You should be able to carry one team to a title just on your talents and abilities.

Hit his peak this postseason already. Can't blame him if he's tired (he won't show it), or if he's half-injured (he definitely is not showing it) and just satisfied already of what they accomplished this season (he's too competitive to admit that publicly).
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,697

Post#70 » by durden_tyler » Sun Jun 4, 2023 1:34 am

Jfh20 wrote:

Eh that's two finals with them not being the "best" team in their conference. That only means they are lucky or very good and just another piece away in winning it all. You ride this final 3 years of Butler prime but you go aggressive in free agency and trades and see if you can get that final piece. Losing to Denver is expected and will happen but not a failure.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Jfh20
Bench Warmer

Post#71 » by Jfh20 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:13 am

durden_tyler wrote:
Jfh20 wrote:

Eh that's two finals with them not being the "best" team in their conference. That only means they are lucky or very good and just another piece away in winning it all. You ride this final 3 years of Butler prime but you go aggressive in free agency and trades and see if you can get that final piece. Losing to Denver is expected and will happen but not a failure.

Absolutely a failure… can’t spin it…
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#72 » by tsherkin » Sun Jun 4, 2023 2:22 am

Butler isn't a first-tier superstar. This isn't news.

He's a very, very good player, and he's also injured, so we also aren't seeing max level from him. But it's not news that his talent goes only so far. That's not a sin; he's doing great things with Miami, but like... everyone who watches him knows he isn't a prime-Lebron-level player. Those guys are generational, they're rare. He's good, he's athletic, but not first-tier athletic. He's good, but not first-tier as a scorer in terms of his skill set. What do you want from him? When he shows up and his team shows up, the Heat have a shot against anyone except the best ever.

That's a pretty good deal.
Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 356

Post#73 » by Guy » Sun Jun 4, 2023 3:27 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Butler is as good as anyone on the planet for a one game, winner take all if he’s rested. However he’s old. Like the country song, “I ain’t as good as I once was, but I’m as good once, as I ever was.”

New sig . :D
Raptors Board

Lord_Zedd wrote:That was the best worst game I've ever seen in a long time.

The Bulls are forever our fathers
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,200

Post#74 » by brutalitops » Sun Jun 4, 2023 3:46 am

I'm more surprised that OP can remember his email password to make an account on Realgm. Props!
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#75 » by Floody100 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 3:43 am

This post season went from Butler carrying the undrafted guys to those guys now carrying him lol
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#76 » by Dupp » Mon Jun 5, 2023 3:45 am

Man’s getting straight carried
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,214

Post#77 » by Heat3 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 3:49 am

Dan Z wrote:
Jfh20 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

I would trade Herro this summer. I said this when he got hurt, unless he returned in the Finals and was instrumental in the Heat winning, I would trade him. Finals were a pipe dream then but we're here now. My main issue with him is he's always hurt in the playoffs when we need him most. It's not really his fault but availability is important. If he goes 30ppg rest of the series I might reconsider, but even then I may just sell high. I don't want Lowry back either even though he sometimes comes up big in the playoffs. He's a no show in the regular season. Get me consistent help for Jimmy and Bam.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Jfh20
Bench Warmer

Post#78 » by Jfh20 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 3:56 am

Floody100 wrote:This post season went from Butler carrying the undrafted guys to those guys now carrying him lol

It’s weird ain’t it? Is the dude injured or something
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Post#79 » by mdonnelly1989 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 3:59 am

Medbrat wrote:
BeatDaCavs420 wrote:Wow this board turns on players fast lmao

The board was fast to proclaim him Jordan and superstar, now the board is fast to take it away. I say fair.

He's IMO smack dab in the middle of a Superstar and a Star

Not quite a Superstar but def better than a Star.

He's good for borderline the tail end of a top 10 player IMO.
10DayContract
Starter
And1: 2,315

Post#80 » by 10DayContract » Mon Jun 5, 2023 4:05 am

I trust Jimmy. The big 3 and the And 1 late in the 4th tell me he's still there. If these games stay close and the role players keep hitting those open 3s he get them, Jimmy will be sleeping very easy at night.

I'm not going to forget what I saw him do to the Bucks and Celtics the last few years.

Oh wow, he's not as good as 92 Michael Jordan? Who woulda thought? I think he just might be good enough to be the best player on a title team though.

Return to The General Board