2023 FIBA Hall of Fame Class

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

2023 FIBA Hall of Fame Class 

Post#1 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 3:13 pm

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fiba/1511685/fiba-hall-of-fame-class-of-2023-headlined-by-china-legend-yao-ming/

Men's Players:

Yao Ming (China)
Wlamir Marques (Brazil)
Zurab Sakandelidze (USSR / Georgia)
Carlos Loyzaga (Philippines)
Angelo Victoriano (Angola)
Sonny Hendrawan (Indonesia)

Women's Players:

Penny Taylor (Australia)
Katrina McClain (USA)
Amaya Valdemoro (Spain)
Yuko Oga (Japan)

Men's Coaches:

Alessandro "Sandro" Gamba (Italy)

Women's Coaches:

Valerie Garnier (France)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was quite surprised that Wlamir Marques was not already in the FIBA Hall of Fame. A lot of basketball historians think he was the best South American player of all time.

Yao is the 22nd men's player to be inducted into both the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame and the FIBA Hall of Fame:

Sergei Belov
Bill Russell
Radivoj Korac
Kresimir Cosic
Drazen Dalipagic
Nick Galis
Drazen Petrovic
Bira Maciel
Oscar Robertson
Vlade Divac
Dino Meneghin
Arvydas Sabonis
Oscar Schmidt
David Robinson
Michael Jordan
Sarunas Marciulionis
Hakeem Olajuwon
Toni Kukoc
Shaquille O'Neal
Alonzo Mourning
Steve Nash
Yao Ming
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Re: 2023 FIBA Hall of Fame Class 

Post#2 » by BarbaGrizz » Sat Jun 3, 2023 6:32 pm

Wlamir Marques is a legend, glad to see him getting some recognition
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#3 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jun 3, 2023 8:46 pm

The NBA should really make their own hall of fame. Too many ppl I never heard of in here
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,792

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jun 3, 2023 8:53 pm

Papi_swav wrote:The NBA should really make their own hall of fame. Too many ppl I never heard of in here

There is Naismith hall of fame already, which is mostly NBA based. THis is just FIBA hall of fame.

Carmelo Will be in both halls for sure. Kobe too I guess?
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#5 » by BadWolf » Sat Jun 3, 2023 9:09 pm

This list is so weird. Is FIBA hall of fame something new? Couldn't they just retroactively throw in all the old guys and then start adding annually.?
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,160

Post#6 » by AdagioPace » Sat Jun 3, 2023 9:54 pm

happy for the georgian Zurab Sakandelidze (olympic gold in Munich 1972 with USSR)- He only played with Dinamo Tbilisi, becoming Soviet Union champions in 1968 with Dinamo Tbilisi (ahead of all the major USSR basketball cities like Moscow, Kyiv, St. Petersburg, Tartu, Riga, Kaunas)
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#7 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jun 3, 2023 10:22 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:The NBA should really make their own hall of fame. Too many ppl I never heard of in here

There is Naismith hall of fame already, which is mostly NBA based. THis is just FIBA hall of fame.

Carmelo Will be in both halls for sure. Kobe too I guess?

yea mostly but still. There's a bunch of "contributors" and others I never heard of. In MLB it's only players and coaches as it should be. And there's no reason guys like Toni Kukoc or Vlade Divac should be in there especially before guys like Chris Webber or Ben Wallace etc..
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#8 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 11:34 pm

BadWolf wrote:This list is so weird. Is FIBA hall of fame something new? Couldn't they just retroactively throw in all the old guys and then start adding annually.?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, because that's exactly what they did years ago when FIBA Hall of Fame was created. They added a whole bunch of players at once from the beginning, and then every year since then, they add more.

Return to The General Board