Enough with the nostalgia - Modern NBA teams would DESTROY NBA teams of the past

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

ScrantonBulls
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,116

Enough with the nostalgia - Modern NBA teams would DESTROY NBA teams of the past 

Post#1 » by ScrantonBulls » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:40 pm

I keep seeing comparisons with modern stars vs stars from the 80s and 90s. Let's end these silly discussions now. The teams of the past would stand ZERO chance against modern players. This even extends to teams from the early 2010s.

Let's do an easy exercise. Teams from the 80s and 90s shot around seven (7) threes a game. Modern teams will shoot around 40 threes a game. How in the world would the old teams overcome that? It's simple. They can't. On top of that, offenses are much more advanced than in the past. It isn't even close. Defense is more advanced with zone, and it is much more difficult to guard players. Modern players are bigger and stronger than in the past.

Enough with these comparisons. Modern teams would DESTROY the teams from the past. I know we all love our nostalgia, but let's be realistic for a bit. The three balls disparity is too hard to overcome.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,371

Re: Enough with the nostalgia - Modern NBA teams would DESTROY NBA teams of the past 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:41 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:I keep seeing comparisons with modern stars vs stars from the 80s and 90s. Let's end these silly discussions now. The teams of the past would stand ZERO chance against modern players. This even extends to teams from the early 2010s.

Let's do an easy exercise. Teams from the 80s and 90s shot around seven (7) threes a game. Modern teams will shoot around 40 threes a game. How in the world would the old teams overcome that? It's simple. They can't. On top of that, offenses are much more advanced than in the past. It isn't even close. Defense is more advanced with zone, and it is much more difficult to guard players. Modern players are bigger and stronger than in the past.

Enough with these comparisons. Modern teams would DESTROY the teams from the past. I know we all love our nostalgia, but let's be realistic for a bit. The three balls disparity is too hard to overcome.

So, some assumptions you're making:

1) They'd play with modern rules
2) The older teams wouldn't have any prep time to change their strategies, work on their 3pt shooting, etc

And you expect this to be a meaningful, productive conversation?
Showtime 80
Junior
And1: 630

Re: Enough with the nostalgia - Modern NBA teams would DESTROY NBA teams of the past 

Post#3 » by Showtime 80 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:07 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:I keep seeing comparisons with modern stars vs stars from the 80s and 90s. Let's end these silly discussions now. The teams of the past would stand ZERO chance against modern players. This even extends to teams from the early 2010s.

Meltdown much :lol:

Go watch team Spain against the “Chuck and duck” Team USA in the 2008/2012 gold medal games with a severe talent disparity almost pull both games out by playing an 80’s/90’s style only making 8 and 7 3 pointers in both games and dissecting the Americans in the paint having the Gasol sisters annihilate them inside :lol: What the frontlines of the 1992 or 1996 Dream Teams would’ve done to either of those teams would’ve been obscene to watch!

The modern NBA is basically a rule altered offensively favored soft league created to aid the AAU developed fundamental deficient American players and the softer perimeter oriented foreigners. That’s why nobody from the past respects it. It was devised by Stern, Silver, Stu Jackson and Colangelo to “save” the league from the unwatchable crap fest the it had become in the mid 2000’s and for the modern short attention span fans to have “heroes” to cling onto and really think that they were witnessing something special when in fact they were not.

Heck even Kobe agreed;

;pp=ygUQS29iZSBuYmEgaXMgc29mdA%3D%3D

Kobe’s line about “kid’s might be a little too sensitive for that these days” becomes apparent reading OP’s tantrum :lol: :lol:
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,785

Post#4 » by Bergmaniac » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:10 pm

Showtime 80 wrote:Meltdown much :lol:

Go watch team Spain against the “Chuck and duck” Team USA in the 2008/2012 gold medal games with a severe talent disparity almost pull both games out by playing an 80’s/90’s style only making 8 and 7 3 pointers in both games and dissecting the Americans in the paint having the Gasol sisters annihilate them inside :lol: What the frontlines of the 1992 or 1996 Dream Teams would’ve done to either of those teams would’ve been obscene to watch!

The modern NBA is basically a rule altered offensively favored soft league created to aid the AAU developed fundamental deficient American players and the softer perimeter oriented foreigners. That’s why nobody from the past respects it. It was devised by Stern, Silver, Stu Jackson and Colangelo to “save” the league from the unwatchable crap fest the it had become in the mid 2000’s and for the modern short attention span fans to have “heroes” to cling onto and really think that they were witnessing something special when in fact they were not.

Have you ever posted about literally any other topic except how bad the league is today compared to the good old days?
syrus3
Pro Prospect
And1: 946

Post#5 » by syrus3 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:10 pm

Today’s “stars” cry about having to play 65 games but we are supposed to believe they would destroy the teams from yesteryear.

LOL!!!!
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#6 » by JRoy » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:14 pm

Modern teams would certainly Chuck more threes, fall on the ground and act like they’d been shot and would cry to the refs after every play.

Defense, rebounding, grit, hustle…game winning stuff, that’s the old school teams all day every day.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#7 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:17 pm

Not if you're playing 90's rules, with hand checking etc. This only works because Stern and Silver changed the rules.
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,205

Post#8 » by FreeBird23 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:20 pm

Calm down junior

theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,928

Post#9 » by theforumblue » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:38 pm

this kind of convo always happens. kids in 2000s talking about destroying 60s/70s teams, 90s destroying 60s/70s teams. i guess it's only fair 2020s talk about destroying 80s/90s teams. after all, they had only barely stopped signing plumbers.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#10 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:39 pm

The first guy skipping down the floor would get his teeth knocked out.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,013

Post#11 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:41 pm

Without the players from the past, you wouldn't have the players in the present.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 12,024

Post#12 » by nikster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:42 pm

JRoy wrote:

Modern teams would certainly Chuck more threes, fall on the ground and act like they’d been shot and would cry to the refs after every play.

Defense, rebounding, grit, hustle…game winning stuff, that’s the old school teams all day every day.

Defenders aren't worse today, defense is harder because of the rules and spacing. You think defense of the past are better equipped to stop the 3 point barrage?
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#13 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:44 pm

They'd be taking threes from past half court. Afraid of the contact.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 12,024

Post#14 » by nikster » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:52 pm

Showtime 80 wrote:

Meltdown much :lol:

Heck even Kobe agreed;

;pp=ygUQS29iZSBuYmEgaXMgc29mdA%3D%3D

Kobe’s line about “kid’s might be a little too sensitive for that these days” becomes apparent reading OP’s tantrum :lol: :lol:

You do realize how much 3 point shooting has changed since then? Jordan's last title the league average was 13 attempts a game. In 2008 and and 2012 league average was about 18. We are at 35 now.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,534

Post#15 » by JXL » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:55 pm

Give the past superstars today's rules, and they'll tell you its too easy to score. 80% of those players could average 40-50 points a game.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#16 » by JRoy » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:58 pm

nikster wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Defenders aren't worse today, defense is harder because of the rules and spacing. You think defense of the past are better equipped to stop the 3 point barrage?

Yes.

Freedom of movement nonsense to start.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,837

Post#17 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:01 pm

tsherkin wrote:

So, some assumptions you're making:

1) They'd play with modern rules
2) The older teams wouldn't have any prep time to change their strategies, work on their 3pt shooting, etc

And you expect this to be a meaningful, productive conversation?

The second they claimed “defenses are more advanced” I knew they weren’t even attempting to be reasonable.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,753

Post#18 » by Meat » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:02 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Without the players from the past, you wouldn't have the players in the present.

right, i don't understand the weird need to push this competition

I make like 4 times what my dad did at his age, thanks for helping me with my math homework dad.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,371

Post#19 » by tsherkin » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:03 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:The second they claimed “defenses are more advanced” I knew they weren’t even attempting to be reasonable.

I wish people would put more effort into looking for the value in all eras. There are differences, sort of call-and-response changes and what have you which unfold over the decades. ANd yeah, some players and teams wouldn't port forward very well. But there is that inherent bias of assuming porting forward is more valuable than porting backward, and the conceit that no one could adapt, etc. The league has a different talent environment and skill profile now, for sure. But there's dismissiveness towards everyone in all directions, and it's just exhausting. And the OP was set up to just crap all over one direction instead of actually fostering quality discourse, which is useless and fatiguing.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,144

Post#20 » by Dominator83 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:06 pm

Recency bias at its finest
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !

Return to The General Board