The amount of talent in the league today is absurd

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,537

Re: The amount of talent in the league today is absurd 

Post#201 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:45 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
Not really.

The three point line was first introduced to basketball in 1961. Stephen Curry wasn't drafted until 2009.

Nearly 50 years is a pretty long time actually!

Do you know what evolution is?

Do you?

50 years is not a long time, but none the less Curry doesn't make any sense here. 3 point rate increased nearly every single year in the NBA since it was introduces in 1980. There wasn't some LEAP. It was a consistent increase with a few spikes and contractions along the way.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,537

Post#202 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:49 pm

G35 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:It is abundantly clear by looking at the west. Historically the 1 vs 8 seed matchup is nearly a guaranteed series win for the 1 seed. 7 vs 2 isn't much better. Looking at the west, it wouldn't be completely shocking if the 9th or 10th seed (Lakers and Warriors) upset the 1 seed. It's isn't likely of course, but it wouldn't be a monumental shock like when an 8 seed upset a 1 seed in the past. I can see anybody ranked 1 through 10 in the west making it to the conference finals. A team with a healthy LeBron and AD is the freaking 9th seed. Back in the 90s a team led by mid-30s Malone and Stockton won the West two years in a row. Today a team with a healthy LeBron and AD can barely scratch the playoffs. Just think about that for a second.

The league is so deep now, from the superstars to the role players. It's clear that the talent is higher than it has ever been - and it isn't particularly close. I truly think the days of dynasty teams is over. There's just too much talent and parity now a days.

https://www.aol.com/argument-nba-mvp-americans-missing-144006058.html

"A viral quote from Connecticut women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma sums up perfectly when he told an audience about the state of America’s young player: “They’re more talented than ever, better athletes than ever, they can do more things than kids 10, 15, 20 years ago. But they’re not better basketball players.”

“Because this coach, or that coach, or that system, has them playing six games on Saturday and they practice just once that week. It’s totally opposite of what they do in Europe. They can all dribble. They can all pass. They can all shoot. Doesn’t matter if they’re 5-10 or 6-10. Because they practice, they don’t play games.”

This is a common complaint/observation among America’s top college baseball and soccer coaches, too. For decades this system was flawed, but not a problem until the Euros exposed the flaws."

Not sure how this really matters given europeans make up a very large portion of the NBA. On top of that, even if we assume the coach is correct at the college level. The NBA continues player development. So even if it takes longer to develop, the better talent, better athletic ability, etc is going to eventually create a better player pool. Especially with the mix of Europeans and now even Africans coming over.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 838

Post#203 » by ScrantonBulls » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:53 am

G35 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:It is abundantly clear by looking at the west. Historically the 1 vs 8 seed matchup is nearly a guaranteed series win for the 1 seed. 7 vs 2 isn't much better. Looking at the west, it wouldn't be completely shocking if the 9th or 10th seed (Lakers and Warriors) upset the 1 seed. It's isn't likely of course, but it wouldn't be a monumental shock like when an 8 seed upset a 1 seed in the past. I can see anybody ranked 1 through 10 in the west making it to the conference finals. A team with a healthy LeBron and AD is the freaking 9th seed. Back in the 90s a team led by mid-30s Malone and Stockton won the West two years in a row. Today a team with a healthy LeBron and AD can barely scratch the playoffs. Just think about that for a second.

The league is so deep now, from the superstars to the role players. It's clear that the talent is higher than it has ever been - and it isn't particularly close. I truly think the days of dynasty teams is over. There's just too much talent and parity now a days.

https://www.aol.com/argument-nba-mvp-americans-missing-144006058.html

"A viral quote from Connecticut women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma sums up perfectly when he told an audience about the state of America’s young player: “They’re more talented than ever, better athletes than ever, they can do more things than kids 10, 15, 20 years ago. But they’re not better basketball players.”

“Because this coach, or that coach, or that system, has them playing six games on Saturday and they practice just once that week. It’s totally opposite of what they do in Europe. They can all dribble. They can all pass. They can all shoot. Doesn’t matter if they’re 5-10 or 6-10. Because they practice, they don’t play games.”

This is a common complaint/observation among America’s top college baseball and soccer coaches, too. For decades this system was flawed, but not a problem until the Euros exposed the flaws."

Cool story bro. I'll let you know when this thread is created but about women's college basketball and the WNBA, then Geno's opinion may hold weight.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,764

Post#204 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Defence is more physically taxing today anyway, it just doesn't involve as many elbows.

Congratulations. You're the only person on earth who thinks NBA players are playing acceptable defense.

You guys always cry like this and then promptly shut the f*** up when playoffs start because all you casuals remember that guys and offensive schemes are too good now to shut down without highly specialized and practiced defensive gameplans.

If anything you geniuses should be crying that NBA teams bring back practicing more, but that would require NBA games to go back to 90s style where people without the ball stood around doing nothing most of the time and didn't accumulate real tread on their tires during then regular season. Because no humans (even with designer steroids) could sustain a real regimented old school practice schedule AND cover the ground necessary in modern NBA games to handle more than 50 or 60 games in a season.

Gonna be funny seeing his silent these takes get in the playoffs where it's a whole new game.

Wonder if all the low IQ casuals of this guy's ilk are crying about the NBA not playing defense when they see how different it looks when teams have time to gameplan and practice coverages
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,690

Post#205 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 am

Heej wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Congratulations. You're the only person on earth who thinks NBA players are playing acceptable defense.

You guys always cry like this and then promptly shut the f*** up when playoffs start because all you casuals remember that guys and offensive schemes are too good now to shut down without highly specialized and practiced defensive gameplans.

If anything you geniuses should be crying that NBA teams bring back practicing more, but that would require NBA games to go back to 90s style where people without the ball stood around doing nothing most of the time and didn't accumulate real tread on their tires during then regular season. Because no humans (even with designer steroids) could sustain a real regimented old school practice schedule AND cover the ground necessary in modern NBA games to handle more than 50 or 60 games in a season.

Gonna be funny seeing his silent these takes get in the playoffs where it's a whole new game.

Wonder if all the low IQ casuals of this guy's ilk are crying about the NBA not playing defense when they see how different it looks when teams have time to gameplan and practice coverages

You're still talking about casuals. Rent free.

I can't actually believe you're thumping your chest about playoff ball being harder than regular season ball.

Us casuals can't comprehend it!
Heej
General Manager

Post#206 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
Heej wrote:You guys always cry like this and then promptly shut the f*** up when playoffs start because all you casuals remember that guys and offensive schemes are too good now to shut down without highly specialized and practiced defensive gameplans.

I can't actually believe you're thumping your chest about playoff ball being harder than regular season ball.

Few understand defense. It's ok lil guy
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#207 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:Wonder if all the low IQ casuals of this guy's ilk are crying about the NBA not playing defense when they see how different it looks when teams have time to gameplan and practice coverages

Your position that defense in the league is the best and most complicated the NBA has ever seen because the players finally show up in the playoffs is for casuals.

I mean the idea that the best teams are playing the best defense at the most important time of the year is somehow lost on casuals is wild.

Did anyone argue that the defense in the playoffs was bad? Not me.
Heej
General Manager

Post#208 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Your position that defense in the league is the best and most complicated the NBA has ever seen because the players finally show up in the playoffs is for casuals.

I mean the idea that the best teams are playing the best defense at the most important time of the year is somehow lost on casuals is wild.

No genius, my position has always been that players and offenses are too good now to consistently force into -EV possessions without specialized practiced gameplans. And then casuals like you who don't understand what they're watching just cry that no one is playing defense.

The playoffs are simply where defenses are able to better close the gap due to prep time. Unfortunately few understand this :rofl:
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#209 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:Few understand defense. It's ok lil guy

No genius, my position has always been that players and offenses are too good now to consistently force into -EV possessions without specialized practiced gameplans. And then casuals like you who don't understand what they're watching just cry that no one is playing defense.

The playoffs are simply where defenses are able to better close the gap due to prep time. Unfortunately few understand this :rofl:

Your take gets worse and worse.

The players play better defense when they have more time to prep?

I'll take no **** for 1000 Alex.
Heej
General Manager

Post#210 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Precisely. And this isn't mutually exclusive to the fact that they're also competing on defense in the regular season dimwit :lol:. Few understand this though. Casuals would rather cry about "muh defense" instead.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#211 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:No genius, my position has always been that players and offenses are too good now to consistently force into -EV possessions without specialized practiced gameplans. And then casuals like you who don't understand what they're watching just cry that no one is playing defense.

Precisely. And this isn't mutually exclusive to the fact that they're also competing on defense in the regular season dimwit :lol:. Few understand this though. Casuals would rather cry about "muh defense" instead.

You keep repeating your self. It's almost like you think I don't comprehend what you're saying.

I assure you we all understand that you think you're the only one with the IQ large enough to understand that the players play better defense in the playoffs than the regular season.

The rest of us casuals never would of put that together without your brave efforts here today.

Captain Hindsight to save the day.
Heej
General Manager

Post#212 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

You keep repeating your self. It's almost like you think I don't comprehend what you're saying.

I assure you we all understand that you think you're the only one with the IQ large enough to understand that the players play better defense in the playoffs than the regular season.

The rest of us casuals never would of put that together without your brave efforts here today.

Nope clearly you don't have the IQ to understand my point that players play high level defense all year and then you imbeciles stop crying about it in the postseason because it's easier for casuals to see it in the playoffs because most of you employ results based analysis instead of comprehending the process unfolding on the screen.

Either that or you keep purposely trying to reframe my argument because this all played out exactly how I said it would. It's alright though, it takes casuals several years for defensive reputation to actually catch up to what's taking place on screen so I expect by the late 2020s people will be crowing that defense is back when people like me who actually understand the game have been seen this coming from a mile away.

Interesting how you could even use captain hindsight incorrectly when my post was made before the playoffs :rofl:. The sub-80s honestly just snitch on themselves LMFAO
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#213 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:Precisely. And this isn't mutually exclusive to the fact that they're also competing on defense in the regular season dimwit :lol:. Few understand this though. Casuals would rather cry about "muh defense" instead.

Nope clearly you don't have the IQ to understand my point that players play high level defense all year and then you imbeciles stop crying about it in the postseason because it's easier for casuals to see it in the playoffs because most of you employ results based analysis instead of comprehending the process unfolding on the screen.

Either that or you keep purposely trying to reframe my argument because this all played out exactly how I said it would. It's alright though, it takes casuals several years for defensive reputation to actually catch up to what's taking place on screen so I expect by the late 2020s people will be crowing that defense is back when people like me who actually understand the game have been seen this coming from a mile away.

Interesting how you could even use captain hindsight incorrectly when my post was made before the playoffs :rofl:. The sub-80s honestly just snitch on themselves LMFAO

I can't believe you're in here after a week of silence and the best thing you come up with is defense in the playoffs is better than the regular season.

Then you double down and say that defense is better when teams have more time to practice.

Then you do the rah rah casuals boomer low IQ insult you keep rehasing.

I understand you're trolling but save your self the time friend, im catching that second hand cringe reading this.
Heej
General Manager

Post#214 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

I can't believe you're in here after a week of silence and the best thing you come up with is defense in the playoffs is better than the regular season.

Then you double down and say that defense is better when teams have more time to practice.

I understand you're trolling but save your self the time friend, im catching that second hand cringe reading this.

I can't believe you're still trying to sidestep the main point that has been consistently made since the beginning of this thread LMFAO. It's actually pathetic. No amount of deflecting can prevent you from continuing to make a fool of yourself :lol:

It's not my fault you likely don't even know what a bump over and X-out is on help defense but are out here blustering about how no one plays defense in the regular season. Everyone sees through the low IQ bulls*** from casuals like you and Screamin' A Smith, I'm just the type to call you out on it.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#215 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:Nope clearly you don't have the IQ to understand my point that players play high level defense all year and then you imbeciles stop crying about it in the postseason because it's easier for casuals to see it in the playoffs because most of you employ results based analysis instead of comprehending the process unfolding on the screen.

I can't believe you're still trying to sidestep the main point that has been consistently made since the beginning of this thread LMFAO. It's actually pathetic. No amount of deflecting can prevent you from continuing to make a fool of yourself :lol:

You can't believe that I'm flabbergasted that you think playoff defense proves that regular season defense is acceptable? Lol.. cringe.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,550

Post#216 » by Ugly Duckling » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 am

this feels like the most talented league at least since Jordan's first title in 91, if not before then.

the thing is, although there is more talent due to more international players for one, it may seem more talented than it actually is.

we are witnessing a changing of the guard where the younger players are taking over and the older ones are falling off. even though the older players are out of their primes, they have just begun their decline due to advancements in medicine, rehab and injury prevention/tech. so it seems the league is very talented but a lot of these older teams are getting smoked.

before the playoffs started, it seemed like almost anyone in the west could technically win it if a bunch of things went their way. but now, especially with all the injuries, there are really only a few true contenders in the whole league, which isn't more than any yr.

denver of course. the mavs. the wolves. who else? okc doesn't feel ready. no one in the east feels ready.
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Heej
General Manager

Post#217 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

You can't believe that I'm flabbergasted that you think playoff defense proves that regular season defense is acceptable? Lol.. cringe.

Show me where I said that. You keep saying cringe, and yet it sounds like you're projecting at this point because it's rather awkward how consistently you attempt to avoid addressing the main point that has been made from the beginning.

Sadly, it doesn't seem you have the critical faculties to comprehend that it's not playoff defense validating regular season defense; but rather that casuals are only able to comprehend playoff defense because it's easier to see. Surely even a sub-80 can understand that, right?
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#218 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 am

Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:I can't believe you're still trying to sidestep the main point that has been consistently made since the beginning of this thread LMFAO. It's actually pathetic. No amount of deflecting can prevent you from continuing to make a fool of yourself :lol:

Show me where I said that. You keep saying cringe, and yet it sounds like you're projecting at this point because it's rather awkward how consistently you attempt to avoid addressing the main point that has been made from the beginning.

Sadly, it doesn't seem you have the critical faculties to comprehend that it's not playoff defense validating regular season defense; but rather that casuals are only able to comprehend playoff defense because it's easier to see. Surely even a sub-80 can understand that, right?

You can say the same thing 50 different ways, God knows you're trying.

I assure you it's not a IQ or comprehension issue. It's a i don't agree with you and won't dignify or validate your take.

I get it my friend. Us dummies can see in the playoffs what you been saying all along.

You boomers are all the same. Back in my day!!!!!
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,522

Post#219 » by AleksandarN » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:33 am

Ok this what I will add to this discussion. I think today’s talent pool is deeper than ever. The sport is way more popular today as a byproduct you see more talent coming from around the world. Have you notice how big the coaching staffs are getting. It is ridiculous. I also think scouting is more advanced than it was back then. As technology made progress so has scouting. Scouting through video to tracking metrics
Heej
General Manager

Post#220 » by Heej » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 am

The Corey's wrote:
Heej wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

You can say the same thing 50 different ways, God knows you're trying.

I assure you it's not a IQ or comprehension issue. It's a i don't agree with you and won't dignify or validate your take.

I get it my friend. Us dummies can see in the playoffs what you been saying all along.

You boomers are all the same. Back in my day!!!!!

And I'm telling you that you disagreeing with me has no bearing on what's actually taking place on the court. And you haven't demonstrated any sufficient basketball IQ for me to take your stance seriously whatsoever or for me to see you as anything more than a casual. Glad we could agree to disagree tho lil bro

Return to The General Board