The amount of talent in the league today is absurd

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 838

The amount of talent in the league today is absurd 

Post#1 » by ScrantonBulls » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:59 am

It is abundantly clear by looking at the west. Historically the 1 vs 8 seed matchup is nearly a guaranteed series win for the 1 seed. 7 vs 2 isn't much better. Looking at the west, it wouldn't be completely shocking if the 9th or 10th seed (Lakers and Warriors) upset the 1 seed. It's isn't likely of course, but it wouldn't be a monumental shock like when an 8 seed upset a 1 seed in the past. I can see anybody ranked 1 through 10 in the west making it to the conference finals. A team with a healthy LeBron and AD is the freaking 9th seed. Back in the 90s a team led by mid-30s Malone and Stockton won the West two years in a row. Today a team with a healthy LeBron and AD can barely scratch the playoffs. Just think about that for a second.

The league is so deep now, from the superstars to the role players. It's clear that the talent is higher than it has ever been - and it isn't particularly close. I truly think the days of dynasty teams is over. There's just too much talent and parity now a days.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,909

Re: The amount of talent in the league today is absurd 

Post#2 » by jkvonny » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:03 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:It is abundantly clear by looking at the west. Historically the 1 vs 8 seed matchup is nearly a guaranteed series win for the 1 seed. 7 vs 2 isn't much better. Looking at the west, it wouldn't be completely shocking if the 9th or 10th seed (Lakers and Warriors) upset the 1 seed. It's isn't likely of course, but it wouldn't be a monumental shock like when an 8 seed upset a 1 seed in the past. I can see anybody ranked 1 through 10 in the west making it to the conference finals. A team with a healthy LeBron and AD is the freaking 9th seed. Back in the 90s a team led by mid-30s Malone and Stockton won the West two years in a row. Today a team with a healthy LeBron and AD can barely scratch the playoffs. Just think about that for a second.

The league is so deep now, from the superstars to the role players. It's clear that the talent is higher than it has ever been - and it isn't particularly close. I truly think the days of dynasty teams is over. There's just too much talent and parity now a days.

Similar to the '70s (lots of parity). You are right.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,974

Post#3 » by Potential » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:06 am

There's so much talent we need an expansion
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,590

Post#4 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:19 am

Teams that won the title 15 years ago wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round today. It's a far stronger league.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,192

Post#5 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:33 am

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BRING BACK DEFENSE

Bring It back to the way It use to be
Bring back Defense
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,732

Post#6 » by Shaka_Zulu » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:43 am

SlimShady83 wrote:PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BRING BACK DEFENSE

https://youtu.be/vsBe8weouKM?si=jWFMrQscGcgw3elt

https://youtu.be/p_PxJc9Z6yg?si=ZERa2OfG-uL5im1o
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 493

Post#7 » by giordunk » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:01 am

Yes the amount of talent is absurd but the Lakers/Warriors example is a bit of an exception - they're two veteran teams with older dudes that just aren't as focused on the regular season as they could be. I don't think you can say the same for the Bulls and Hawks.

Although yes I think there is definitely more parity than there was before.
i like peanuts
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#8 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:03 am

Defence is more physically taxing today anyway, it just doesn't involve as many elbows.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,690

Post#9 » by The Corey's » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:07 am

One_and_Done wrote:

Defence is more physically taxing today anyway, it just doesn't involve as many elbows.

Congratulations. You're the only person on earth who thinks NBA players are playing acceptable defense.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 854

Post#10 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:23 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:It is abundantly clear by looking at the west. Historically the 1 vs 8 seed matchup is nearly a guaranteed series win for the 1 seed. 7 vs 2 isn't much better. Looking at the west, it wouldn't be completely shocking if the 9th or 10th seed (Lakers and Warriors) upset the 1 seed. It's isn't likely of course, but it wouldn't be a monumental shock like when an 8 seed upset a 1 seed in the past. I can see anybody ranked 1 through 10 in the west making it to the conference finals. A team with a healthy LeBron and AD is the freaking 9th seed. Back in the 90s a team led by mid-30s Malone and Stockton won the West two years in a row. Today a team with a healthy LeBron and AD can barely scratch the playoffs. Just think about that for a second.

it's not. It's just that there are half a dozen really inept organizations or outright tanking teams. More so than usual. It's never been easier to score. Games are basically three point contests. Are guys better shooters now? Sure. Does that make them more talented? Of course not. They can't dribble without carrying the ball. They can't drive to the basket without first getting a switch onto a big via illegal moving screen then using their off arm to push off to create separation. Without these switches, the only way they can get separation to get shots off (if they're not wide open which they usually are) is to travel.
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 775

Post#11 » by Gatorade Sax » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:30 am

People love to complain about defence in the NBA, and rightfully so to a certain extent, but the simple fact is that players are becoming absurdly good at making 3s which makes teams almost impossible to guard.

When you have 4 or 5 players on a team at any one time that are legitimate threats to make the highest scoring shot in the game, you simply can’t do anything.

Bring back hand checking? What’s that going to do?

Remove 3 in the key so bigs can camp in the lane? Oh wait.. centres make 3s now too..
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,234

Post#12 » by lambchop » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:37 am

One_and_Done wrote:Teams that won the title 15 years ago wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round today. It's a far stronger league.

It's a random bogus claim. The 09 Lakers only had one player that would arguably be unplayable and that's Bynum. The other guys, like Kobe, Odom, prime Gasol, Radmanovic, Vujacic, Fisher, Ariza etc. would have no issue at all and actually fit perfectly in this era.

The 08 Celtics would also do great with Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, Posey, House, Powe and I think Scalabrine would get more regular minutes cause of his shooting ability lol. Tony Allen probably plays less though and would look more like Jarred Vanderbilt with better defense but similar limitations on offense.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,192

Post#13 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:51 am

Gatorade Sax wrote:
Bring back hand checking? What’s that going to do?

This Is an oldie, but still a goodie and makes me laugh every time

Edit: Can't do this anymore unless you're Draymond maybe

Bring back Defense
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,909

Post#14 » by jkvonny » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:02 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

it's not. It's just that there are half a dozen really inept organizations or outright tanking teams. More so than usual. It's never been easier to score. Games are basically three point contests. Are guys better shooters now? Sure. Does that make them more talented? Of course not. They can't dribble without carrying the ball. They can't drive to the basket without first getting a switch onto a big via illegal moving screen then using their off arm to push off to create separation. Without these switches, the only way they can get separation to get shots off (if they're not wide open which they usually are) is to travel.

The Kings......
Yall should be ones MOST familiar with the talent spread out across the league and parity.

Beat the good teams (TWolves, Nuggets, Mavs, OKC, Orlando. Pacers, Clips, Suns, Bucks, Lakers, Sixers, Cavs, Warriors, etc). Loss some games that yall should have beaten the Mavs (again), Celtics, Knicks, Bucks (again), OKC (again tonite), etc

Turn around and lose to a bunch of bad, crappy, "inept org/ tanking" , losing teams ( Wizards late in the season, Pistons ( a blow out loss :o ), Rockets, Bulls, Charlotte, etc). Yall don't lose those games, yall would be like 3 seed with 50+ wins right now.
Swept the Spurs, but all 3 games were close.

Sacramento blows a lot of huge leads, too. Kings, the most inconsistent team in the NBA.

And yet the Kings still have been teetering between Playoffs and play in positioning. 11 games over .500.
45-34 record. Thats a good record, good team.

Yall Kings fans should know about parity around the NBA first hand. :lol:
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#15 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:13 am

lambchop wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Teams that won the title 15 years ago wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round today. It's a far stronger league.

It's a random bogus claim. The 09 Lakers only had one player that would arguably be unplayable and that's Bynum. The other guys, like Kobe, Odom, prime Gasol, Radmanovic, Vujacic, Fisher, Ariza etc. would have no issue at all and actually fit perfectly in this era.

The 08 Celtics would also do great with Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG, Posey, House, Powe and I think Scalabrine would get more regular minutes cause of his shooting ability lol. Tony Allen probably plays less though and would look more like Jarred Vanderbilt with better defense but similar limitations on offense.

The 2009 Lakers would get bent over and spanked by at least half the West this year. They don't shoot enough 3s to be competetive for one thing. Guys like Odom make considerably less sense today. He's not overly good at 3 or D, so you'd basically have to play him as your 5 man. That gives the Lakers three 5 men in Bynum, Odom and Pau. Clearly that won't work. I agree their other players have a place in today's game, but the overall talent level has increased so much they'd be much worse.

I actually think the 08 Celtics are a bit of an exception, which is why I said 15 years and not 16. They could just play Ray at the 1 and they'd be fine. But in 09 KG gets hurt and is never 100% again.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#16 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:14 am

The Corey's wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

Congratulations. You're the only person on earth who thinks NBA players are playing acceptable defense.

Ask KG which defence is tougher to play; today or the 90s. Hint; it's not the 90s.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,234

Post#17 » by lambchop » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:44 am

One_and_Done wrote:
lambchop wrote:

The 2009 Lakers would get bent over and spanked by at least half the West this year. They don't shoot enough 3s to be competetive for one thing. Guys like Odom make considerably less sense today. He's not overly good at 3 or D, so you'd basically have to play him as your 5 man. That gives the Lakers three 5 men in Bynum, Odom and Pau. Clearly that won't work. I agree their other players have a place in today's game, but the overall talent level has increased so much they'd be much worse.

I actually think the 08 Celtics are a bit of an exception, which is why I said 15 years and not 16. They could just play Ray at the 1 and they'd be fine. But in 09 KG gets hurt and is never 100% again.

The Celtics would be just fine running Rondo at PG. His shooting woes weren't much of an issue when he was on the Lakers and that was when he was way past his prime. Even Ben Simmons looked fine at PG for the Sixers until he decided he didn't even want to attempt wide open dunks against Trae Young.

Rondo was actually willing to shoot from the mid range or use his floaters or hesi dribbles and fakes to massage the defense for crafty layups. Teams were already sagging off him in major ways back in the day.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,741

Post#18 » by naabzor » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:50 am

There is no way Warriors or Laker are going to upset anyone, you can sleep quiet.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,690

Post#19 » by The Corey's » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:26 am

One_and_Done wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Defence is more physically taxing today anyway, it just doesn't involve as many elbows.

Ask KG which defence is tougher to play; today or the 90s. Hint; it's not the 90s.

What does that mean dude? The defense today is unacceptable.

Your point is a whole different argument.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#20 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:43 am

The Corey's wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

What does that mean dude? The defense today is unacceptable.

Your point is a whole different argument.

Today's D is far harder to execute and more draining on the players, as is today's offence. If you're looking for more cheap shots with no consequences then yeh, you're watching the wrong era. I can't say I share your nostalgia.

Return to The General Board