2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic (Series tied 2-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Cavs in 4
2%
Cavs in 5
16%
Cavs in 6
27%
Cavs in 7
12%
Magic in 4
3%
Magic in 5
3%
Magic in 6
28%
Magic in 7
10%

Total votes: 256

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,104

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic 

Post#161 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 am

uraverage wrote:
eyriq wrote:Cavs have a "contender" gear they can hit. When they hit it they are a buzz saw and can beat anyone.

Agreed. This series is all about who elevates. Do the Cavs hit their gear or does the Magic’s defense hit theirs.

Wonder what it looks like when 2 buzz saws hit each other.
Probably something like this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QtIv-GmbcIE?si=o7jnLh0ErH1kCbMx
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 463

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers vs. #5 Orlando Magic 

Post#162 » by uraverage » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 am

Looking forward to it.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#163 » by bmurph128 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 am

I think the Cavs will win in 5. Orlando is playing with house money and will keep the games close, but ultimately I think the Cavs will have too much, and the experience gained last year should show up. There will be an urgency with the team in this series I think.
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#164 » by Ralof » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:50 am

Pretty Easy: if Donovan Mitchell plays like he could(and should),cavs gonna win that easily.

If not,everything Is possibile,and maybe Magic could have even an advantage(their D and bench are for real and gonna translate well even in Playoff).
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 264

Post#165 » by meatwad4343 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 am

Magic fan here. If Isaac can't play heavy minutes and if fultz is playing meaningful minutes I got cavs in 5. We badly needed a point guard and shooting and did nothing to address that at the deadline. If Issac can hang around I got the cavs in 6. If everything goes right the magic can pull this off and win in 6-7 but I'm not seeing it. I just don't think we have the offense to keep pace and the team is young and inexperienced. That said, I'm happy to finally be able to watch playoff basketball again and hoping for the best.
best of luck
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#166 » by best of luck » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm

When will they be releasing the time for the game. I’m trying to plan my Saturday / Sunday being 12 hours difference and hoping the game doesn’t land at a 2am or 4am slot.
Magic fan and think Cans will be too strong but been surprised about how well they perform.
Magic would easily have any of the Cavs 4 best players start for us.
Magic bench play will be vital and hopefully if Isaac starts this won’t effect it too much.
Please visit @Domsamui on YouTube my 11 year old son needs all the love he can get from the basketball community in his fight to walk again.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,661

Post#167 » by toooskies » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 pm

best of luck wrote:When will they be releasing the time for the game. I’m trying to plan my Saturday / Sunday being 12 hours difference and hoping the game doesn’t land at a 2am or 4am slot.
Magic fan and think Cans will be too strong but been surprised about how well they perform.
Magic would easily have any of the Cavs 4 best players start for us.
Magic bench play will be vital and hopefully if Isaac starts this won’t effect it too much.

If they haven't released the time yet, they are probably waiting for the results of the play-in games before releasing the full Saturday schedule. But this game will almost certainly be in the earliest timeslot.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,399

Post#168 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Trust me when I say this, the Cavs didn’t tank at all.

You guys had Tristan Thompson running point for the final 5 minutes of the season and you are saying that the Cavaliers were *trying* to win the game?

That’s what you’re referring to? The last game of the season? You do realize the Cavs were guaranteed home court advantage no matter what, right? You’re racing with this one.

The Cavs had a shot for the #2 seed in the playoffs and a chance they'd end up facing the 76'ers. They certainly tanked the last game.

I voted Magic in 4.

My prediction is Garland and Mitchell collide on the first play of the game and injure each other.

I'd mention I'm applying a reverse jinx, but that would just jinx my reverse jinx so jinx on that. :roll:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#169 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Mad Guru wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Trust me when I say this, the Cavs didn’t tank at all.

You guys had Tristan Thompson running point for the final 5 minutes of the season and you are saying that the Cavaliers were *trying* to win the game?

As opposed to the incredibly talented ball handling of Isaac Okoro or Max Strus?

Mitchell and Garland were out, which I don't imagine ANYONE would have an issue with. Both guys got injured off and on all season long, not worth playing them when you have a top 4 seed locked up, MAYBE unless you can get the 1 seed, which obviously we couldn't.

Then the only active PG went down with an injury early on. Most of those turnovers at the end of the game were by Bates, and he's about the caliber player the Hornets had on the floor too. **** happens sometimes.

Yeah, not playing Mitchell and Garland was the first sign the Cavs were tanking the game.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,143

Post#170 » by cgf » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm

This should be a really interesting series with Orlando's defense being very legit and Cleveland having the pieces to do damage on both ends of the court.

...though with Mitchell banged up and the Magic's lack of guard creation could make that Cavs-Knicks series from last spring look like an offensive masterclass :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#171 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I didn't feel great about our matchup with the Knicks last year. They had a deep team. We did not. I wasn't sold that Okoro was a reliable option offensively. You had Knicks fans saying Thibs wouldn't bother guarding him (and he didn't). We bought out Love without having a replacement. Wade was injured and JBB didn't trust him. Garland had never been to the playoffs. The Knicks had been on a tear since trading for Hart. I feel differently about this Cavs team and this matchup.

We've been riddled with injuries this season and it seems like we may finally be healing up and we've got a week off. Garland was eating through a straw for a month, he lost 12 lbs, and came back to a team that was down Mitchell, Strus, Mobley, and Wade during the most difficult part of the schedule. Mitchell tried to play through injury and had to shut it down again, but I was encouraged by what I saw Friday against the Pacers from both Mitchell and the team. A lot of postseason success is dependent upon being healthy, and if the Cavs finally are, they're going to be a dangerous team. People, including some Cavs fans, seem to be forgetting that the benefit of having both Mitchell and Garland is that the other team can't sell out to stop both of them. You can't simultaneously tilt towards both of them. The Magic can only assign Suggs to one of them. Add in healthy Strus, who is our best off-ball player, and the Magic are going to find themselves picking a poison.

Garland is still struggling with his energy in 4th quarters, and Mitchell has knee tendinitis that can flare up at any time.

I suppose it's a good thing the Magic are even slower paced than the Cavs, but either of those factors could playout huge in the 4th quarter not just on the offensive side but the defensive side too. Like many teams before them, they focused on improving their offense only to see their greatest weapon (their defense) fall off significantly.

Every now and then we see a team get healthy at just the right time and go on a great playoff run; but every time the Cavs have approached full health (technically never gotten there, thank you so much Ricky Rubio and Ty Jerome) they just suffer another round of injuries.

Will our hopeful thinking put an end to this?
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,821

Post#172 » by JJ_PR » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 pm

The Magic have a very talented squad, their GM has done a good job.

That said, I'm rooting for my team & I think they can pull it off.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,303

Post#173 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 pm

SOUL wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, Magic fans, i wanna start by saying best of luck in the series, i assume either outcome we won't have to deal with insufferable fans like last season at this time.

oh, Magic fans can get insufferable trust me :lol: :lol:

Should be a fun series though. I think it would require Cavs to have some funky shooting splits and Magic to hit more threes than usual to have a chance, which isn't impossible, but our personnel doesn't lend itself to that quite yet

Ah Soul, I gotta recap what happened for you. It’s a basic case of “don’t dish it if you can’t take it”

Basically Cavs fans went into the series giving the Knicks no respect. Stuff like, this is easy, we have 4 of the top 5 players etc etc. Proceeds to get punched on the mouth by Mitchell Robinson and RJ Barrett. Brunson doing what Brunson does.

Then it’s basically all, you all got lucky, our coach sucks, your team is terrible, all you had was a better bench. No respect given afterwards too.

I think the Cavs fans have gotten humbled a bit this year, which is why they’re being more pleasant. But yea, they’re not victims here.
Iwasawitness
Starter
And1: 2,875

Post#174 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
SOUL wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well, Magic fans, i wanna start by saying best of luck in the series, i assume either outcome we won't have to deal with insufferable fans like last season at this time.

oh, Magic fans can get insufferable trust me :lol: :lol:

Should be a fun series though. I think it would require Cavs to have some funky shooting splits and Magic to hit more threes than usual to have a chance, which isn't impossible, but our personnel doesn't lend itself to that quite yet

Ah Soul, I gotta recap what happened for you. It’s a basic case of “don’t dish it if you can’t take it”

Basically Cavs fans went into the series giving the Knicks no respect. Stuff like, this is easy, we have 4 of the top 5 players etc etc. Proceeds to get punched on the mouth by Mitchell Robinson and RJ Barrett. Brunson doing what Brunson does.

Then it’s basically all, you all got lucky, our coach sucks, your team is terrible, all you had was a better bench. No respect given afterwards too.

I think the Cavs fans have gotten humbled a bit this year, which is why they’re being more pleasant. But yea, they’re not victims here.

I can’t speak for Cavs fans since I wasn’t here at that time, but I can’t help but wonder how anyone could have thought the Cavs were winning that series last year. People really had Cavs winning in five? That can’t be true.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#175 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
SOUL wrote:

oh, Magic fans can get insufferable trust me

Good luck with the Heat or 76ers in the first round, lmao
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#176 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:52 pm

JJ_PR wrote:The Magic have a very talented squad, their GM has done a good job.

It is kind of funny their GM played for the Cavs for 3 years and their head coach was an assistant for the Cavs for 4 years.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,306

Post#177 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 pm

Does Orlando start Jonathan Isaac?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#178 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:23 pm

eyriq wrote:Does Orlando start Jonathan Isaac?

Dunno, does Jamahl Mosley typically recognize when one of his players has been wreaking havoc on an opponent and play that guy more?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,693

Post#179 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:37 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Dunno, does Jamahl Mosley typically recognize when one of his players has been wreaking havoc on an opponent and play that guy more?

Isaac is a special case because of his past injuries and gassing himself out, but I'm hoping the WCJ back injury stuff lingers only as a "precaution" aka feeling okay to bring him off of the bench.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,821

Post#180 » by JJ_PR » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JJ_PR wrote:The Magic have a very talented squad, their GM has done a good job.

It is kind of funny their GM played for the Cavs for 3 years and their head coach was an assistant for the Cavs for 4 years.

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing.

Return to The General Board