Josh Kroenke(Nuggets owner) on Melo’s number 15 in Denver

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,520

Josh Kroenke(Nuggets owner) on Melo’s number 15 in Denver 

Post#1 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am

Here is a snippet. The podcast comes out tomorrow. MPJ sits down with Nuggets owner Josh kroenke. It should be interesting

Read on Twitter
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,379

Re: Josh Kroenke(Nuggets owner) on Melo number 15 in Denver 

Post#2 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 am

why do this during the playoffs? seems unnecessary but Melo acting like Denver knew the guy they drafted in 2nd round would turn into one of the goats lol..
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,107

Post#3 » by JB2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:07 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:why do this during the playoffs? seems unnecessary but Melo acting like Denver knew the guy they drafted in 2nd round would turn into one of the goats lol..

Maybe I'm missing part of the story but isn't he just feeling like nobody should have worn that and it should have been a retired number?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,262

Re: Josh Kroenke(Nuggets owner) on Melo’s number 15 in Denver 

Post#4 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 am

If you don't want to watch the clip, I'd say it's doubtful Melo is getting his number retired there.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
famicommander
Freshman
And1: 286

Post#5 » by famicommander » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 am

Chuck Everett wrote:If you don't want to watch the clip, I'd say it's doubtful Melo is getting his number retired there.

All he had to do was shut up, show up to a game and smile for the Nugs fans and this wouldn't be an issue. People would forgive him like they forgave Mutombo and English for leaving, Thompson for his domestic violence and drug addiction, and Issel for his racist tirade.

The Denver Broncos have a #18 banner in their stadium with both Peyton Manning and Frank Tripucka's names on it. The Nuggets could easily have just put two #15 banners up in their rafters and everyone would have been happy.

But Melo is an idiot and he has to pick fights with the organization and fanbase for attention and ego, so now nobody is inclined to make nice with him.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,262

Post#6 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 am

famicommander wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:If you don't want to watch the clip, I'd say it's doubtful Melo is getting his number retired there.

All he had to do was shut up, show up to a game and smile for the Nugs fans and this wouldn't be an issue. People would forgive him like they forgave Mutombo and English for leaving, Thompson for his domestic violence and drug addiction, and Issel for his racist tirade.

The Denver Broncos have a #18 banner in their stadium with both Peyton Manning and Frank Tripucka's names on it. The Nuggets could easily have just put two #15 banners up in their rafters and everyone would have been happy.

But Melo is an idiot and he has to pick fights with the organization and fanbase for attention and ego, so now nobody is inclined to make nice with him.

I am inclined to agree 100%.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,520

Post#7 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:37 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
famicommander wrote:

I am inclined to agree 100%.

Even if Melo had “shut up” I doubt they would retire with both having 15. Not the way Jokic has been Loyal to the Nuggets. To my knowledge Jokic hasn’t pushed the Nuggets to get other players on the team like others have. Jokic has said many times that he wants to retire a Nugget. Wants to be the Tim Duncan in Denver.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,622

Post#8 » by nomansland » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am

"It never even crossed our minds" is all you need to know. I'm pretty sure the Kroenkes are not Melo fans and it predates any stupid thing Melo said on a podcast.
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,427

Post#9 » by Onlytimewilltel » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am

JB2 wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:why do this during the playoffs? seems unnecessary but Melo acting like Denver knew the guy they drafted in 2nd round would turn into one of the goats lol..

Maybe I'm missing part of the story but isn't he just feeling like nobody should have worn that and it should have been a retired number?

Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,427

Post#10 » by Onlytimewilltel » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:51 am

famicommander wrote:

Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,356

Post#11 » by Gusto1903 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 am

Melo wore other numbers more than 15. He also did nothing for the Knicks. Why should they retire his jersey or not give it to another guy, 4 years after all that drama.
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,030

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 am

Onlytimewilltel wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Well he'd be in their top 5 players all time.
Murray, Thompson, English, Melo, Jokic

They've retired numbers of lesser players: Mutumbo, Lever, Issel
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,094

Post#13 » by MrBigShot » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 am

1. Melo's tenure in denver did not warrant his number being untouchable forever. Especially the way it ended.

2. Jokic on his worst day is a better player than melo could ever dream of being. He is #15 for the nuggets.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#14 » by Charlesareed » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 am

Melo is a idiot ray allen hasn’t said anything about Giannis wearing #35 in Milwaukee
Chicago Raised me
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,563

Post#15 » by Dominator83 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 am

Meh. He put up some nice numbers there but mostly a forgettable era. Only got out of the 1st round once during his tenure, And that probably had more to do with Billups leveling them up after that trade.

And of course, that forgettable era ended with him demanding a trade.... To 1 specific team.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
famicommander
Freshman

Post#16 » by famicommander » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Onlytimewilltel wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Well he'd be in their top 5 players all time.
Murray, Thompson, English, Melo, Jokic

They've retired numbers of lesser players: Mutumbo, Lever, Issel

Issel is way ahead of Carmelo.

In Nuggets history, Issel is:
2nd in games
2nd in minutes
2nd in points
2nd in field goals
1st in free throws
2nd in offensive rebounds
2nd in defensive rebounds
2nd in total rebounds
9th in assists
5th in steals
2nd in win shares
3rd in win shares per 48 minutes
9th in box plus minus
3rd in vorp
3rd in player efficiency rating
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,248

Post#17 » by LAvision » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 am

JB2 wrote:

Retired for what? Forcing a trade. :lol:

Dude did absolutely nothing as a nugget to even consider getting his jersey retired.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,696

Post#18 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 am

JB2 wrote:

Melo was still playing in 2017. Heck, not only was he still playing, he laughed at a reporter who suggested he would come off the bench.
famicommander
Freshman

Post#19 » by famicommander » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 am

LAvision wrote:
JB2 wrote:

Retired for what? Forcing a trade. :lol:

Dude did absolutely nothing as a nugget to even consider getting his jersey retired.

Carmelo returned the Nuggets to relevance and the playoffs in his rookie year. The franchise was in a dire spot after Mutombo's departure from a competitive standpoint and Denver was erupting with new sports teams in that era (MLB in 1993, NHL in 1995, MLS in 1996, NLL in 2003, AFL in 2003). The Broncos won the Super Bowl in 1998 and 1999, the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup in 1996 and 2001, the Rockies built a beautiful downtown stadium in 1995 and were stocked with exciting home run hitters. Soccer and lacrosse and arena football were novelties and drawing big crowds at the time. There was no reason for Denver fans to even think about the Nuggets.

If the Nuggets had ended up with Darko instead of Carmelo there's no telling how much longer the dark age of no crowds and awful winning percentages would have lasted.

I was disappointed with the lack of playoff success and pissed off when he left, but it's silly to say he did nothing for the franchise. He made people in Denver care about the team again. He made the team competitive again.
JM00n69
Ballboy
And1: 50

Post#20 » by JM00n69 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 am

Melo did a lot for Denver as soon as he got drafted. He gave some hope to a dying team and he was a really talented player. His exit at the time felt bad and I felt he could've done more but that's also down to the coaches, George Karl.

I don't think he deserves his nr retired after the fact and it shows his mindset and entitlement which is ultimately what held him from becoming the player he could've been.

Return to The General Board