OT Caitlin Clark's WNBA rookie contract breakdown released

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,110

Re: OT Caitlin Clark's WNBA rookie contract breakdown released 

Post#21 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 pm

I think if she had some vision she could have started her own women's league instead. Run the wnba out of business.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,573

OT Caitlin Clark's WNBA rookie contract breakdown released 

Post#22 » by sikma42 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 pm

KembaWalker wrote:This is the legacy of Diana Taurasi and all the bums trashing on her. They did nothing for the product. Caitlin will put them on her back

This is such a non-basketball player take. That’s her personality and she is stating the obvious. You want everyone to just give empty praise and say she is the best player in the world before setting foot in the WNBA. Based on the number of teams, the talent jump is at least as big as the NBA. It’s gonna be an adjustment.

And the narrative around these women hating is ridiculous and based a lot on race. We’ll see in a few years when Juju comes, bc she is just as talented and very exciting. CC is also far from the only exciting player to into the league (see Maya Moore). It’s just the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,448

Post#23 » by Rendei » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:37 pm

Pointgod wrote:How much was she making in College? She’s obviously bankable. I think the WNBA can be popular they just don’t have any marketing behind it.

A little over $3 million this past season.

As long as the endorsement deals don't go away, she'll still do just fine.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,764

Post#24 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 pm

sikma42 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:This is the legacy of Diana Taurasi and all the bums trashing on her. They did nothing for the product. Caitlin will put them on her back

This is such a non-basketball player take. That’s her personality and she is stating the obvious. You want everyone to just give empty praise and say she is the best player in the world before setting foot in the WNBA. Based on the number of teams, the talent jump is at least as big as the NBA. It’s gonna be an adjustment.

And the narrative around these women hating is ridiculous and based a lot on race. We’ll see in a few years when Juju comes, bc she is just as talented and very exciting. CC is also far from the only exciting player to into the league (see Maya Moore). It’s just the right time.

Sorry what team do you play for again? :lol: :roll:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#25 » by azcatz11 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Man if I were her I would have gone to the Big 3 for 5 million.

Of course you would. Because you're desperate for the $5M. She's not and has the opportunity to be selective about what she takes / doesn't take.

*I'm desperate for the $5M also
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,824

Post#26 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 pm

Perhaps there money coming her way under the table for not selling out to big 3 league +she has endorsements
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,764

Post#27 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 pm

Johnny Fontane wrote:Perhaps there money coming her way under the table for not selling out to big 3 league +she has endorsements

70k a year and 5,000,001 bonus to do a game of horse at the all star game half time show
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,277

Post#28 » by Frank Dux » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Man if I were her I would have gone to the Big 3 for 5 million.

Joining that clown show isn’t going to help the women’s game. Sure it’s a nice pay day, but she has the ability to change the face of the WNBA and will have a bigger global impact playing in a legitimate league.

Her WNBA contract is peanuts compared to her NIL deals in college and all the sponsorship money she’ll be getting. She’s going to be fine. It’s the non stars who are really hurting for money in the WNBA.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,852

Post#29 » by SkyBill40 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:54 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
sikma42 wrote:

And your contracted team is?

Both his comment and yours possess logical fallacies. Don't do that.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#30 » by azcatz11 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 pm

Frank Dux wrote:

Joining that clown show isn’t going to help the women’s game. Sure it’s a nice pay day, but she has the ability to change the face of the WNBA and will have a bigger global impact playing in a legitimate league.

Her WNBA contract is peanuts compared to her NIL deals in college and all the sponsorship money she’ll be getting. She’s going to be fine. It’s the non stars who are really hurting for money in the WNBA.

The Big3 would hurt her brand. She doesn’t need them at all. She probably has a $100m offer from Nike sitting on the table to be their signature female athlete.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#31 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm

I thought it said 76 million and going up and up, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Then I noticed it's 76,000. Wow.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,681

Post#32 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:She'll simply have to build that league up like Wilt, Magic & Bird, Jordan, LeBron & Steph have done the NBA.

If Candace Parker couldn't build up the league what makes you think Clark will? Mind you Parker won MVP as a rookie.

She was great in college, but I doubt she will a be a big thing a few years from now.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,268

Post#33 » by og15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:04 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:It's indeed a very low figure for a pro, but it is what it is, there isn't demand for this product, unfortunately that's how the market works.

Now if she brings a huge demand for the game, there are already reports that the league is seeking to double the revenues of their broadcasting rights (link), then these contracts would skyrocket in the coming decade.

I think it's not far-fetched to say the WNBA contracts could increase by 10 times until the end of the decade... and, even then, they would be grossly underpaid relative to the NBA players.

Let's see if she can be the one to break this "cycle".

Why would you add this? Underpaid when it comes to entertainment is relative to how your percentage of revenue is compared to others, not raw numbers.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,573

Post#34 » by sikma42 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:07 pm

SkyBill40 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
sikma42 wrote:This is such a non-basketball player take. That’s her personality and she is stating the obvious. You want everyone to just give empty praise and say she is the best player in the world before setting foot in the WNBA. Based on the number of teams, the talent jump is at least as big as the NBA. It’s gonna be an adjustment.

I’ve played college ball and been scouted to play overseas. But that’s not the point, most people from a background of highly competitive bball wouldn’t expect all time great players to just throw empty praise at CC non stop. The expectation is ridiculous.

D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,370

Post#35 » by D.Brasco » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:09 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think if she had some vision she could have started her own women's league instead. Run the wnba out of business.

I thought she should have taken the Big3 5 million offer. She's going to bring in additional millions in revenue to the WNBA that they never had and not get anything close back from them.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,852

Post#36 » by SkyBill40 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 pm

sikma42 wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

I’ve played college ball and been scouted to play overseas. But that’s not the point, most people from a background of highly competitive bball wouldn’t expect all time great players to just throw empty praise at CC non stop. The expectation is ridiculous.

Your response is really best suited to Kemba to be honest; further, anecdote is just that and isn't a good metric for supporting a claim. While I get what you're saying and all, it's still not really much. :wink:
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,682

Post#37 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:She'll simply have to build that league up like Wilt, Magic & Bird, Jordan, LeBron & Steph have done the NBA.

If Candace Parker couldn't build up the league what makes you think Clark will? Mind you Parker won MVP as a rookie.

She was great in college, but I doubt she will a be a big thing a few years from now.

I'm just stating what she'll have to do in order to get the outcome that people think she should have.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,327

Post#38 » by Hoop Hunter » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm

They make low money (compared to Men's sports) because the WNBA loses money. NBA team's subsidize them. They do not draw a lot of fans and they don't have big TV contracts. It's just simple math.

Times may be changing, depends on how much difference Clark makes in the league's visibility. If she's not a big time player in the WNBA, not much will change. We'll see. I hope she does great and the league follows.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,542

Post#39 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:16 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:If one musician plays for 20 people at a bar and another musician plays for 75,000 at an arena, should the one playing for 20 people at a bar be paid the 10 million per show Taylor Swift makes? They are doing the same job...

I'd hope a musician gets paid more than a noise maker!

But yeah, even what CLark is making is questionable given the WNBA's financials.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,396

Post#40 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think if she had some vision she could have started her own women's league instead. Run the wnba out of business.

You are underestimating the effort and capital it would take to do this. There's a reason why Magic/Bird/Jordan didn't do this because there's a difference between being rich and being wealthy lol.

Return to The General Board