Playoffs Mode Siakam

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,332

Re: Playoffs Mode Siakam 

Post#101 » by canada_dry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 am

Tor_Raps wrote:Just saw this on TNT. Amazing for Siakam and the Pacers.

There are still a bunch of raptor fans who think the Siakam trade was good for us. We gave away an all nba talent for mid to low picks in a crappy draft and Bruce Brown lol.
More importantly theres still Raptors fans that think hes a 3rd option type player. :)

Or there was at least...when hes clearly tailor made to the the pippen to someone elses jordan. A elite #2.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,332

Post#102 » by canada_dry » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 am

Jta444 wrote:If only the Warriors got rid of Wiseman and Kuminga earlier for Siakam, Steph would’ve gotten #5. But stupid Bob Myers had the “two timelines” approach and when that failed he bolted on the Warriors smh
Really failed steph.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,689

Post#103 » by Vampirate » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:48 am

Los_29 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Dude is a great player. Always has been. We got a bag of chips for him because he was expiring this summer. Masai waited too long to trade him. Had we traded him two seasons ago when some of us wanted to, we would have gotten a similar haul that Utah got for Gobert or Mitchell.

There was no reason to trade him then. 48 wins and the ROTY.

We never got a real star to pair with him and had minimal assets since the championship basically depleted them.

We were both on a shaky house of cards and had luck with other injured teams that year.

If your 2nd/3rd best player is basically a role player in FVV you have very little room for growth.

Yes FVV made an All Star reserve, but he's not a real star talent and was getting older.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by Vampirate » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Jta444 wrote:If only the Warriors got rid of Wiseman and Kuminga earlier for Siakam, Steph would’ve gotten #5. But stupid Bob Myers had the “two timelines” approach and when that failed he bolted on the Warriors smh

A lot of Raptors fans wanted to make that trade in 2021. I remember Warriors fans telling me that Wiseman, Kuminga, and Moody would all become better players than Siakam in a few years.

The Warriors had a fantastic opportunity to extend their competitive window by trading all those picks and they blew it.

Not going to lie, Kuminga has an All NBA ceiling (doesn't mean he's going to reach it).

From a build and athletic standpoint he's like a 6"7 Anthony Edwards.

Obviously Ant is much much more proven so is the much safer player to build around moving forwards.

As for the Warriors, they either really need to trade Kuminga or trade Curry. Nothing else is going to matter for them in the grand scheme of things.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,862

Post#105 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 am

Hoop Hunter wrote:I knew he was a good player, you don't get 2 All-NBA picks for nothing. I was a hesitant in playing him max money, but Indy doesn't get very many big name players that actually want to come here. So I could live with what I thought maybe a overpay.

Not now, I'm completely fine with paying the man, back up the truck. He's been everything we could have wanted and more. He fits in so well here with our style of play. He fits in great next to Turner, their games mesh well. Hali and Paskal are still developing chemistry, getting better every game.

The Pacers should pay him, without a doubt, and I think he'll continue to impress in Indiana
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,606

Post#106 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 am

Vampirate wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

A lot of Raptors fans wanted to make that trade in 2021. I remember Warriors fans telling me that Wiseman, Kuminga, and Moody would all become better players than Siakam in a few years.

The Warriors had a fantastic opportunity to extend their competitive window by trading all those picks and they blew it.

Not going to lie, Kuminga has an All NBA ceiling (doesn't mean he's going to reach it).

Obviously Ant is much much more proven so is the much safer player to build around moving forwards.

As for the Warriors, they either really need to trade Kuminga or trade Curry. Nothing else is going to matter for them in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think he becomes a star, but even if he does have that ceiling, by the time he reaches it, Steph, Klay, and Draymond will have left/retired.

Trying to align the competitive windows of their championship core with that of their prospects was a fool's errand.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by Vampirate » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

I don't think he becomes a star, but even if he does have that ceiling, by the time he reaches it, Steph, Klay, and Draymond will have left/retired.

Trying to align the competitive windows of their championship core with that of their prospects was a fool's errand.

Yeah, here's the thing.

Draymond and Wiggins are negative contracts, Klay is about to be overpaid by someone.

The Warriors 'should' have gone after Siakam, saying blah blah Siakam can't shoot blah blah.

In all actuality Siakam would fit well with the Warriors as he has an element to his game they lack (ok Kuminga has, but as you said, that theoretical ceiling is years away).

They need a real number 2, and let's be honest, once Steph retires, they won't be lucky to get another player like Steph for a long time.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,999

Post#108 » by Potential » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:07 am

Always been a playoff riser except for the bubble where he never played basketball for 6 months. He's at his best feeding off of the home crowd's energy
kleatius_01
Senior
And1: 299

Post#109 » by kleatius_01 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:45 am

Potential wrote:Always been a playoff riser except for the bubble where he never played basketball for 6 months. He's at his best feeding off of the home crowd's energy

If by playoff riser you mean has been less productive than in the regular season every year of his career then I guess so?

He's killing it this year tho, what a hot start. If he keeps it up the bucks are in trouble!
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,377

Post#110 » by Hoop Hunter » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 pm

Boneman2 wrote:
srhcan wrote:So it is now obvious that Pacers looted Raptors big time. They get an All-NBA level player who is so versatile for peanuts.

It would be nice if Pacers can realize that they did not give up much in this trade and it is kind of insulting to Siakam as well that his bid was so low. So they can revisit this trade after the playoffs and decide to give better compensation to Raptors post-trade as a goodwill gesture. Mathurin is their future so they can give Nembhard to Raptors and also Walker as Walker is not in their plans. Raptors will be entirely grateful to you. Thanks and God bless you.

In a perfect world this would be the case.

In this case, I'm sure glad it's a messed up world. :lol:

Love Nemhart and Walker's gonna be a player and they're all ours, na, na, na, na.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,462

Post#111 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 pm

kleatius_01 wrote:
Potential wrote:Always been a playoff riser except for the bubble where he never played basketball for 6 months. He's at his best feeding off of the home crowd's energy

If by playoff riser you mean has been less productive than in the regular season every year of his career then I guess so?

He's killing it this year tho, what a hot start. If he keeps it up the bucks are in trouble!

That's simply not true. In the 2019 playoff run (the most playoff games he's ever played), he averaged 19 ppg, 7.1 rpg, and 2.8 apg compared to his averages during the regular season of 16.9 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.1 apg.

During the 2022 series against Philly he averaged numbers very close to his season averages at 22.8, 7.2, 5.8 compared to 22.8, 8.5, 5.3.

Really the only time he's been less productive than in the regular season was during the bubble playoffs in 2020, and that was because he famously wasn't able to workout or practice during the pandemic and came back rusty as hell.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 697

Post#112 » by The Servant » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:26 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Dude is a great player. Always has been. We got a bag of chips for him because he was expiring this summer. Masai waited too long to trade him. Had we traded him two seasons ago when some of us wanted to, we would have gotten a similar haul to what Utah got for Gobert or Mitchell.

Masai's post championship GMing is in the bottom 30% of the league imo. Not sure the last 2 or 3 years is top 20.
aj174
Senior
And1: 902

Post#113 » by aj174 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 pm

The GMs that didn't even make an offer should be kicking themselves
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#114 » by witnessraps » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm

I am so so happy for siakam. Easily one of my favourite raptors of all time. Glad to see him doing his thing on the pacers
SupaManu
Junior
And1: 986

Post#115 » by SupaManu » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 pm

Best player on the Pacers team
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,103

Post#116 » by ItsDanger » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 pm

One of the reasons for the reduced return in the trade was Siakam's side influenced the destination options. Somehow this has been forgotten but is another slight on the management for letting it occur.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,874

Post#117 » by nikster » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:10 pm

The Servant wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Dude is a great player. Always has been. We got a bag of chips for him because he was expiring this summer. Masai waited too long to trade him. Had we traded him two seasons ago when some of us wanted to, we would have gotten a similar haul to what Utah got for Gobert or Mitchell.

Masai's post championship GMing is in the bottom 30% of the league imo. Not sure the last 2 or 3 years is top 20.

I have a hard time believing that. As much as there's been some poor decisions the Barnes picks and the OG trade were both incredible moves, and the team is pretty well positioned for a quick rebuild.

Pistons, Wizards, Hornets, Nets, Hawks, Trail blazers and Bulls have all been really bad. Suns can probably be added to that group, gave up future for a win now move for 3 stars that don't fit, looking like they're about to be a first round exit while capped out. Lakers have made several blunders since their title. Don't see an argument for Raps being worse than any of those teams.

Then other teams have really stagnated. Bucks haven't done any significant moves since their title, results on the Lillard trade are tbd. Golden State messed up trying to balance win now with youth. 76ers haven't added anyone meaningful around Joel since Maxey was drafted. teams like the Cavs and Kings made big moves that haven't led to any real success yet, and can look like big mistakes if they don't get anywhere the near future.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,443

Post#118 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 pm

Wargreymon wrote:Sigh...we got robbed by the Pacers didn't we?

You didn't know that when he was the second best player on the championship team?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,667

Post#119 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:18 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

You didn't know that when he was the second best player on the championship team?

He wasn't the second best player on the championship team. He was super important though and did hit the title winning bucket over Draymond.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,443

Post#120 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

He wasn't the second best player on the championship team. He was super important though and did hit the title winning bucket over Draymond.

I mean sure you can say Lowry or VanVleet, but he was 19 ppg and 7 rebounds for the playoffs. That works for a second best scorer.

Return to The General Board