What does Luka winning with Kyrie as his second option do to LeBron's legacy?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Godymas
Analyst
And1: 2,858

What does Luka winning with Kyrie as his second option do to LeBron's legacy? 

Post#1 » by Godymas » Thu May 23, 2024 9:14 pm

I look at this Dallas Maverick's roster and I see a team that is objectively worse on paper than the 2015-2016 Cavaliers team. That Cavs team was unbelievably deep with seasoned vets and guys that had been on deep runs before. First of all, Kevin Love was better than ANYONE on the Dallas team not named Luka/Kyrie. Then you still had guys like JR Smith, Richard Jefferson, Tristan Thompson, Shump, Dellavaodva. Most of these guys are better than Dante Exum, Tim Hardaway Jr., Josh Green, etc.

And here is Luka who has had a very legitimate run to get to this point so far. He's knocked out the stacked Clippers, the #1 seed OKC Thunder, and now he's facing a Minnesota team just knocked out Jokic. In the finals he's likely to face the best Boston Celtics team since 2008. This would very much "up there" in terms of rings, already more impressive than Giannis and Jokic in terms of path to get there.

And he does this with a 32 year old Kyrie Irving as his best teammate. Btw, everyone knew Kyrie was great at basketball still, even when Kyrie was a "distressed" asset he was putting up 28 ppg on elite efficiency as he had done every single year in Brooklyn, but because Brooklyn's FO is literally a teenagers reposting dank memes in the draft room, they completely failed to capture the human element of their situation and instead let everything fall apart and they lost.

With that said, I look at the teams that were built around LeBron and Kyrie and frankly they are all better than this Dallas Mavericks team. I watch Luka out there and I see the most unguardable player on the planet. He doesn't have that "ceiling" on offense that Jokic has. If you need 70 points, Luka can put up 70 points. He will score at will and he will make the right plays. Did I mention he's lowkey jacked too. Yes he carries baby fat, but Luka has been putting in time in the weight room, this dude is a tank, he is heavy and he will knock people over. Ant doesn't have the physical stature to stop Luka today, it's a fact of physics.

So with all of this considered, if Luka wins a ring today, it isn't as impressive as beating the 73-9 Warriors, but it also kind of says "well Luka can also win with Kyrie as his second option, is Kyrie just one of the best second options ever, did we underrate what Kyrie was giving LeBron during those years (yes we did)?"
Bulliever2020
Rookie
And1: 2,128

Re: What does Luka winning with Kyrie as his second option do to LeBron's legacy? 

Post#2 » by Bulliever2020 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:16 pm

absolutely nothing
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 16,247

Re: What does Luka winning with Kyrie as his second option do to LeBron's legacy? 

Post#3 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:19 pm

The two dont correlate
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,707

Post#4 » by SomeBunghole » Thu May 23, 2024 9:20 pm

Why is it so hard to wait until after this hypothetical scenario happens to make a thread?

Did you look at the board today and think "There aren't enough knee-jerk reactions to one game, I best make a thread"?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,808

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Thu May 23, 2024 9:20 pm

Absolutely nothing. This is meaningless; they are entirely unrelated things.
Godymas
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#6 » by Godymas » Thu May 23, 2024 9:21 pm

SomeBunghole wrote:Why is it so hard to wait until after this hypothetical scenario happens to make a thread?

Did you look at the board today and think "There aren't enough knee-jerk reactions to one game, I best make a thread"?

because the thread would never get made if it doesn't happen but the possibility of it happening still exists so it's fair to discuss the elephant in the room now rather than take the risk that it may never be able to be discussed
SweaterBae
Starter
And1: 3,387

Post#7 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 23, 2024 9:30 pm

Bulliever2020 wrote:absolutely nothing
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,605

Post#8 » by Pelly24 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:32 pm

Godymas wrote:I look at this Dallas Maverick's roster and I see a team that is objectively worse on paper than the 2015-2016 Cavaliers team. That Cavs team was unbelievably deep with seasoned vets and guys that had been on deep runs before. First of all, Kevin Love was better than ANYONE on the Dallas team not named Luka/Kyrie. Then you still had guys like JR Smith, Richard Jefferson, Tristan Thompson, Shump, Dellavaodva. Most of these guys are better than Dante Exum, Tim Hardaway Jr., Josh Green, etc.

And here is Luka who has had a very legitimate run to get to this point so far. He's knocked out the stacked Clippers, the #1 seed OKC Thunder, and now he's facing a Minnesota team just knocked out Jokic. In the finals he's likely to face the best Boston Celtics team since 2008. This would very much "up there" in terms of rings, already more impressive than Giannis and Jokic in terms of path to get there.

And he does this with a 32 year old Kyrie Irving as his best teammate. Btw, everyone knew Kyrie was great at basketball still, even when Kyrie was a "distressed" asset he was putting up 28 ppg on elite efficiency as he had done every single year in Brooklyn, but because Brooklyn's FO is literally a teenagers reposting dank memes in the draft room, they completely failed to capture the human element of their situation and instead let everything fall apart and they lost.

With that said, I look at the teams that were built around LeBron and Kyrie and frankly they are all better than this Dallas Mavericks team. I watch Luka out there and I see the most unguardable player on the planet. He doesn't have that "ceiling" on offense that Jokic has. If you need 70 points, Luka can put up 70 points. He will score at will and he will make the right plays. Did I mention he's lowkey jacked too. Yes he carries baby fat, but Luka has been putting in time in the weight room, this dude is a tank, he is heavy and he will knock people over. Ant doesn't have the physical stature to stop Luka today, it's a fact of physics.

So with all of this considered, if Luka wins a ring today, it isn't as impressive as beating the 73-9 Warriors, but it also kind of says "well Luka can also win with Kyrie as his second option, is Kyrie just one of the best second options ever, did we underrate what Kyrie was giving LeBron during those years (yes we did)?"

It does nothing to LeBron's legacy. The Celtics are really the only legit superteazm right now. LeBron and Kyrie would've won three championships if not for Kyrie and Kevin love's untimely injuries and the fact that Kevin Durant is a total basketball nihilist with no sense of sports mythology. If it weren't for the Celtics being so overloaded, the mavs would also win, like if they didn't have porzingis and Derrick White or something.

But yeah, Luka is just a great great player, and Kyrie, when functioning right mentally, is like a top 45-50 talent of all time because when he's at his best, he's basically a flawless two-way star with elite three-level scoring and he doesn't turn the ball over. If the Mavs win, it will speak to Luka and Kyrie's greatness and only that.
One_and_Done
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,903

Post#9 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 23, 2024 9:33 pm

It has no effect on it whatever. /thread.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
BigGargamel
Analyst
And1: 7,379

Post#10 » by BigGargamel » Thu May 23, 2024 9:35 pm

LOL. Even ESPN wouldn't try to shoehorn LeBron into this. What a weird thread.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#11 » by nzahir » Thu May 23, 2024 9:35 pm

Godymas wrote:I look at this Dallas Maverick's roster and I see a team that is objectively worse on paper than the 2015-2016 Cavaliers team. That Cavs team was unbelievably deep with seasoned vets and guys that had been on deep runs before. First of all, Kevin Love was better than ANYONE on the Dallas team not named Luka/Kyrie. Then you still had guys like JR Smith, Richard Jefferson, Tristan Thompson, Shump, Dellavaodva. Most of these guys are better than Dante Exum, Tim Hardaway Jr., Josh Green, etc.

This line alone goes to show oyur agenda and how disengenious this is

Why are PJ, Gafford, Jones Jr, and Lively being ignored?

Didnt Love average 8.5 ppg in the finals and also miss about 2 games?

None of these teams compare to the 73-9 GS team, wtf are we discussing here even?

And yes we all know Kyrie is a great #2

He coldnt suceeed around KD because KD isn't an offensive hub like Lebron, Luka, Jokic
EmpireFalls
Veteran
And1: 4,924

Post#12 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 23, 2024 9:43 pm

That Luka > LeBron. Or that LeBron is overrated, or most likely, both.

That's the answer you were looking for, right?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,830

Post#13 » by Lalouie » Thu May 23, 2024 9:45 pm

WRONG...it would not be about lebron. the old guard is yesterday's news. as we speak they're playing golf or riding the banana boat or doing cameos for other stars

IT WOULD BE ALL ABOUT LUKA....so let's move on
OfficialRef
Starter
And1: 2,545

Post#14 » by OfficialRef » Thu May 23, 2024 9:49 pm

The Clippers team without Leonard and a baby Thunder team that was inexperienced FYI

It does take a bit from Lebron's ring though like it or not. Media and fans kept disrespecting Kyrie as if he was a liability many times.
picc
RealGM
And1: 19,071

Post#15 » by picc » Thu May 23, 2024 9:54 pm

I often feel like one’s ability to make threads should be monitored and regulated. I know its a free forum its just been a consistent thought that I feel would help.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 59,803

Post#16 » by Froob » Thu May 23, 2024 9:57 pm

If Mavs win the title, I am subtracting 1.5 rings from LeBron. Which begs the question, does LeBron have more at stake than any player left?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 61,121

Post#18 » by bisme37 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:01 pm

picc wrote:I often feel like one’s ability to make threads should be monitored and regulated. I know its a free forum its just been a consistent thought that I feel would help.

It is. We've revoked thread starting abilities for 2 or 3 posters this week alone.

Return to The General Board