What teams can Portland beat in the playoffs out West.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TradeMachine
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#201 » by TradeMachine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 am

Bgil wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It is a fluke just like Steve Blake and James Jones shooting all-world 3 point percentages are a fluke. Just like playing 12 out of 17 games at home is a fluke. Just like playing 14 games against teams with a approx .400 record + 2 games against Utah amidst their 7 games losing streak is a fluke.

There's at least 4 or 5 different "flukes" going on at the same time. Therefore you can't use those games as impetus to say you can beat anyone in 7 games outside of SA and Phoenix. Only Blazer fans believe that. Even the statistical analysis of your 17-1 streak barely moves you ahead of teams like GS and Denver. That's how ridiculous the situation is.

Dude, Derek Fisher is shooting 6% higher from the field this year than he has ever shot any other season. Is that a fluke too? Your argument spews of hatred. Either way, I could care less of your acknowledgment of our team's success, and I'm sure other Blazers fans feel the same way.

BTW, your team's SOS over the past few games has been influenced heavily by NO. Outside of that team, you've played MIL, MEM, IND, and PHI, all sub .500 teams, and before that you got your asses handed to you at home by Boston. It's not like your world-beaters anyway; don't let your success get to your head.
TradeMachine
Banned User

Post#202 » by TradeMachine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:48 am

yunggunz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

After all this, the Blazer are still only tied for 8th best record in the league. If you only read this thread, you wouldnt think that.

Bottom line, Blazers are better than 80 percent of the non-blazer fans give them credit for. And they are worse than 80 percent of the blazer fans give them credit for.

:banghead:

If your team was called a fluke after winning seventeen of eighteen games, I'm sure you would be there for your team's defense. That is what passionate fans do. I haven't read one post from a Blazer fan who thinks that we will win a playoff series. Most of our posts are only responses to bull **** arguments from fans that are obviously jealous.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#203 » by yunggunz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:51 am

TradeMachine wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:banghead:

If your team was called a fluke after winning seventeen of eighteen games, I'm sure you would be there for your team's defense. That is what passionate fans do. I haven't read one post from a Blazer fan who thinks that we will win a playoff series. Most of our posts are only responses to bull **** arguments from fans that are obviously jealous.

A)The nuggets rolled into the playoffs 2 years back at 32-8.....one of the best post-all star records ever. Everyone said it was a fluke......and it was.

B) There have been multiple posts saying the Blazers could beat top 3 teams in the east. Go back over this thread.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#204 » by Fitz303 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:54 am

After all this, the Blazer are still only tied for 8th best record in the league. If you only read this thread, you wouldnt think that.

Bottom line, Blazers are better than 80 percent of the non-blazer fans give them credit for. And they are worse than 80 percent of the blazer fans give them credit for.

I actually tend to agree... Although I will say that most of the Blazers fans that have come into this thread have been doing so more in defense of our team. Most of the posts in our forum and game predictions, the fans are pretty cautiously optimistic.. Its been since the Wallace/Pippen era that we were up this high in the standings, so most of the fans are on a high.. Some people are going overboard, but much of it is due to other people coming in and bashing them
Pinot love
Junior
And1: 0

Re: What teams can Portland beat in the playoffs out West. 

Post#205 » by Pinot love » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:57 am

JordansBulls wrote:Of all the Playoffs type teams in the Western Conference, what teams could Portland beat in a playoffs series?

San Antonio
Dallas
Phoenix
LA Lakers
Golden State
New Orleans
Houston
Utah
Denver

They could beat any of them. Assuming all teams are at full strength obviously San Antonio is the least realistic. After that it gets more probable. In tiers from least likely to most:

San Antonio

Dallas

Phoenix

Houston

LA
NO

Denver

GS
Utah

At this point they have a good chance at beating the teams in bold.
TradeMachine
Banned User

Post#206 » by TradeMachine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:59 am

A)The nuggets rolled into the playoffs 2 years back at 32-8.....one of the best post-all star records ever. Everyone said it was a fluke......and it was.

Too bad. I don't really care if your tam was a fluke. My team isn't, and I don't really give a **** if you don't recognize that.

B) There have been multiple posts saying the Blazers could beat top 3 teams in the east. Go back over this thread.

Why the **** would we play a playoff series against the east? That said, I'm sure we could play a competitive series against Orlando. In the one game this year, we pretty much neutralized Howard's production. We also beat Detroit at home. I don't think we have a chance against Boston, though. I'm not saying we'd definitely win a series against either team, but we'd sure as hell play our hearts out.

So, your petty premise for hating the Blazers because of us (the fans) stems from one statement regarding us playing a playoff series against the east? If so, we don't really need your support. There are enough bandwagoners as is.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#207 » by yunggunz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:12 am

Too bad. I don't really care if your tam was a fluke. My team isn't, and I don't really give a **** if you don't recognize that.

You are right the Blazers are the best team EVER!

[quote/]
Why the **** would we play a playoff series against the east? . [/quote]

My bad, I meant West.

All I can say is

So, your petty premise for hating the Blazers because of us (the fans) stems from one statement regarding us playing a playoff series against the east? If so, we don't really need your support. There are enough bandwagoners as is.

If you've been paying attention, I really like the Blazers. The comments on here turn me off, but I still like them. At the end of the season I think they are legitimately close to the Warriors, which I think is a **** hell of an accomplishment.
Pinot love
Junior

Post#208 » by Pinot love » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 am

yunggunz wrote:If you've been paying attention, I really like the Blazers. The comments on here turn me off, but I still like them. At the end of the season I think they are legitimately close to the Warriors, which I think is a **** hell of an accomplishment.

I don't know. Assuming Portland has home court, anyone whose been watching both teams closely this year probably would put their money on Portland.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#209 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:42 am

Dude, Derek Fisher is shooting 6% higher from the field this year than he has ever shot any other season. Is that a fluke too?

Fisher improvement = 6%
Blake improvement (Dec and Jan) = 20%
6% vs 20%. It's a joke to even compare the two.

And James Jones is at .539. A new season record for a guy who didn't even hit .400 with Phoenix. He shot .395 for his career and now he's nearly 15 points higher.

The difference is that Fisher's percentages are supported by a boatload of proof that stands up to scrutiny. 4 fricken years of it!!
Lamar Odom has shot 3-8% higher here in LA than the couple years before he got here. Jumaine Jones raised his 3 point percentages 10 percentage points when he came here. Even Smush got a massive offensive boost starting for us. If Smush can shoot almost 45% with us there's no reason to believe that putting a superior shooter and better player in that spot wouldn't yield better results. Luke Walton has shot 39% 3pt percentage and 46% overall for the past two seasons. Additionally, as a team we shoot almost 48%. And we're third in the league in assists so you can bet that we move the ball to the open man better than 95% of teams in the league.

However, last season when Walton was at the top of the league in 3 point percentage we all knew it was a fluke.

BTW, your team's SOS over the past few games has been influenced heavily by NO. Outside of that team, you've played MIL, MEM, IND, and PHI, all sub .500 teams, and before that you got your asses handed to you at home by Boston. It's not like your world-beaters anyway; don't let your success get to your head.

Our SOS was third in the league before tonight and we didn't have a 15+ game stretch of .430 teams to inflate our record. We have all the stats in the world to back it up including fg%, assists, bench production, point diff, defense, efficient offense, SOS, and every other metric. That's why hollinger and sagarin power rankings put us third and POR 10th and 13th respectively. Our road record is also 10-6 not 5-10.

Don't hate on the Lakers because no one has any evidence that says Portland's record isn't a fluke.

Most of our posts are only responses to bull **** arguments from fans that are obviously jealous.

Yes, our superior record and power ranking against a harder schedule is jealous of the Blazers being tied for the lead in the NW division :crazy:
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
TradeMachine
Banned User

Post#210 » by TradeMachine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:09 am

Blake improvement (Dec and Jan) = 20%

Not sure where you're getting your numbers, unless you're using only January's four games as your sample size. Blake shot 49.8% from the field in December. I offered season numbers for Fisher. This year, Blake is shooting 45.8% from the field, and his highest season values ever was 43.2%. That difference is only 2.6%. Jones has had a 10.5% increase this season from any other season. That is significant.

However, any fool who has watched the game can tell you that these guys are getting mostly open shots, and defenders are failing to cover them because of good spacing, unselfish passing, and a varied offensive attack. Besides, the Blazers averaged 101ppg in December, of which Jones and Blake averaged 11.7ppg and 8.7ppg respectively. If you want to think that winning seventeen out of eighteen games is solely because of the 20.4 ppg, go right ahead.

no one has any evidence that says Portland's record isn't a fluke.

I do. I watch the games. We win. It isn't too hard, but I can understand why someone with your lack of basketball acumen needs statistical proof.
[/quote]
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#211 » by _BBIB_ » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:16 am

Lol @ people saying none of them on the first page.

They have a GREAT shot at winning a playoff series if they avoid one of the Western elite teams
NikeZ15
Junior

Post#212 » by NikeZ15 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:43 am

Its only fitting that Portland is starting to get criticized and over-analyzed by other fan bases....

They will become one of the most loved/loathed teams in the league in the next year or two because they will be one of the most successful NBA teams for the next 15 years.....

Portland is about to face a road trip that I think will show the league they are not a "fluke" at all.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#213 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:48 am

Not sure where you're getting your numbers, unless you're using only January's four games as your sample size. Blake shot 49.8% from the field in December. I offered season numbers for Fisher. This year, Blake is shooting 45.8% from the field, and his highest season values ever was 43.2%. That difference is only 2.6%. Jones has had a 10.5% increase this season from any other season. That is significant.

I'm looking at their 3 point shooting. Blake's sample size is 19 games and your current streak is about 17-2 in those games.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#214 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Besides, the Blazers averaged 101ppg in December, of which Jones and Blake averaged 11.7ppg and 8.7ppg respectively. If you want to think that winning seventeen out of eighteen games is solely because of the 20.4 ppg, go right ahead.

Between them they shoot 7 .5 three per game and your point diff is 1.9 so yes 20ppg matters. But SOLELY? DID YOU SEE ME SAY THAT WAS THE SOLE REASON OR DID YOU SEE ME LIST ALMOST HALF A DOZEN REASONS?

Please answer that last question. It's not my fault that you guys are imagining things I clearly didn't say.
BlzrsExplosion
Freshman

Post#215 » by BlzrsExplosion » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:11 am

Yes, our superior record and power ranking against a harder schedule is jealous of the Blazers being tied for the lead in the NW division :crazy:

Y'know, at this point I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Blazers would POSITIVELY beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. It wouldn't even be close. 5 games maybe. Sure, it would be a fluke...the whole team would shoot 20 percent higher from the field than they ever had and Joel Pryzbilla would suddenly, but only briefly, gain 5 inches on his vertical and block 8 more shots a game than he ever has before and Brandon Roy would hit about 30 half court shots and Martell Webster would break Kobe's ankles (literally) with a wicked crossover and Steve Blake would go to the foul line 20 times a game and shoot each one with his jersey covering his face exposing his new belly tattoo of a napkin and make every last one even though he ignores his old free throw form altogether opting to instead literally punch the ball out of his left hand with a perfectly clenched right fist and so and on and so on and yeah, yeah, yeah, it'd all be a fluke: But what a fun series!
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#216 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:14 am

BlzrsExplosion wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Y'know, at this point I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Blazers would POSITIVELY beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. It wouldn't even be close. 5 games maybe. Sure, it would be a fluke...the whole team would shoot 20 percent higher from the field than they ever had and Joel Pryzbilla would suddenly, but only briefly, gain 5 inches on his vertical and block 8 more shots a game than he ever has before and Brandon Roy would hit about 30 half court shots and Martell Webster would break Kobe's ankles (literally) with a wicked crossover and Steve Blake would go to the foul line 20 times a game and shoot each one with his jersey covering his face exposing his new belly tattoo of a napkin and make every last one even though he ignores his old free throw form altogether opting to instead literally punch the ball out of his left hand with a perfectly clenched right fist and so and on and so on and yeah, yeah, yeah, it'd all be a fluke: But what a fun series!

Does Blake really have a tattoo of a napkin?
Papercut
Junior

Post#217 » by Papercut » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:43 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
missing one player doesnt equate to what we had out. it wasnt exactly a quality win over a playoff team, asyou like to point out over and over.

In the first Blazer victory (in Denver), Portland was without Aldridge (their 2nd-best player) and Denver was without Josh Smith (insignificant) and Nene (has he EVER been healthy?). Even ignoring the other Blazers win, that's a hobbled Portland team beating a healthy elite team in one of the toughest places to win in sports.

And Utah may not have a great record, but they're still nearly unbeatable at home. There are only two teams in the NBA that have won in Utah this year, Portland and Houston, and Portland's done it twice.

I'm not going to get into all this BS because it's just some Laker fan trolling Portland, but I think the Blazers have shown that they're at least capable of beating great teams on the road. Whether or not Portland gets a top 4 seed, they have a chance of stealing one on the road from most teams, and play great at home. The only current playoff team I would expect them to beat is Golden State, but I think they'd have at least a shot at most teams.

Of course, if the playoffs started today, they'd be playing San Antonio. :noway:
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#218 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:47 am

Even ignoring the other Blazers win, that's a hobbled Portland team beating a healthy elite team in one of the toughest places to win in sports.

Denver is not an elite team. If Houston and Utah stay healthy then Denver might not even make the playoffs this year.

And Utah may not have a great record, but they're still nearly unbeatable at home. There are only two teams in the NBA that have won in Utah this year, Portland and Houston, and Portland's done it twice.

During Utah's 7 game losing streak.

but I think the Blazers have shown that they're at least capable of beating great teams on the road.

5-10 on the road.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#219 » by farzi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:59 am

Lol Bgil you just don't give up. Please....just STFU

Denver is just as "elite" as your beloved Lakers atm. I know you may have the GOAT at SG and the best center EVER, but you aren't better than them by THAT much, so to simply dismiss them is to insult your own team as well.

Utah was not in the midst of a 7 game losing streak, you're making that up, nice try though.

5-10 on the road, however, after starting out 0-9, Portland has gone 5-1....or does that not mean anything?
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#220 » by LakersSquad » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:25 pm

farzi wrote:Lol Bgil you just don't give up. Please....just STFU

Denver is just as "elite" as your beloved Lakers atm. I know you may have the GOAT at SG and the best center EVER, but you aren't better than them by THAT much, so to simply dismiss them is to insult your own team as well.

Utah was not in the midst of a 7 game losing streak, you're making that up, nice try though.

5-10 on the road, however, after starting out 0-9, Portland has gone 5-1....or does that not mean anything?

The Lakers aren't elite and neither is Denver.

Return to The General Board