Why the NBA is becoming an Air Ball

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#21 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:31 am

_CBS7_ wrote:Flopping is also hard to officiate. Refs don't have even a couple of seconds to think if a flop was a flop or a real drawn foul. They have a second or less to blow the whistle. The more obvious flops don't get called, though.

I think continuation calls are far worse than flopping, but having said that...

The NBA does an OK job by enforcing the Restricted Area rule and telling Jonny on the spot that if he stands under the basket and gets clocked its his own damn fault. But a lot of refs just need to flat-out concentrate on the physical movements of the players once the Restricted Area thing is settled. There are three referees on the court; f**king use the collective manpower. NBA officiating crews are three prima donnas with no collective sense of duty.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#22 » by kooldude » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:01 am

the OP basically got it right in the first question and just rambled on for too long. The NBA lack the great rivalries that drew in the extra fans that wouldn't originally watch without the added drama. Remember how good the Shaq vs. Yao thing was. (at least for me)

Also the league is too nice which kinda relates to the point above. Bird and Jordan were hardcore competitors and backed up their word. I guess this is under officiating; I hate seeing a call made when there's barely any real contact. i.e. D-whistle
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#23 » by Phobo_Phile » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:12 am

^This

My main problem with the league that it is too nice and overly P.C.
I think 30 teams is the perfect amount and I'd also like to see the Clippers relocate to a different city (in my perfect imaginary world)

Many of the OP points aren't just things that happen in the league today. They are things that have always happened.(And in other major sports too) You don't Jordan ever got superstar calls? Or Magic and Bird? And how many years ago did the Lakers move to LA? I think it's pretty apparent that nobody really gives a damn that there name doesn't make sense.
scottyo50
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#24 » by scottyo50 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:02 am

Manocad wrote:Somebody get this guy a tampon before he ruins a good chair.

:rofl:
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#25 » by Joseph17 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:42 am

The officiating should be at number 1. The ticky tack fouls are really starting to piss me off. It also pisses me off when there's actually a foul and the refs don't blow the whistle. They should at least be consistent with their calls. I watch a lot of FIBA and a few NCAA games. Even though the officiating isn't as good, the refs are at least consistent with the calls that they make. I would rather have a ref not blow the whistle at all than a ref calling fouls for no reason.
maradro
Senior
And1: 349

Re: Why the NBA is becoming an Air Ball 

Post#26 » by maradro » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:27 pm

[quote="thefranchise2k5"][/quote]

while i might agree on relocation, too many teams, and a faulty lottery system, i think you got it all backwards with the refs. In the NBA's golden age, superstar calls, bad calls, and flopping all existed. what didnt exist, is handchecking rules and extreme scrutiny over officials, and hypersensitivity to any contact. i think flopping is ok, so long as they let the players make a little justice on the court. but in order for players to do that, you've got to give them a little freedom. the nba today is a finesse game, and that rewards flopping by giving FTs and fouls. if they allowed more contact then flopping wouldnt be as effective, and would only serve the purpose of enhancing rivalries as opponents tried to get in each others head (a la malone vs rodman, or Laimbeer vs everyone- that stuff was really fun to watch!).

thats my opinion anyways.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,906

Post#27 » by Anticon » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:33 pm

I think we're seeing a nice renewal in the NBA. The guys who got drafted from 2003-2006 are an impressive bunch of players.

Roy
Paul
Williams
Howard
Wade
Bosh
Melo
Bron

That's a pretty good foundation to build upon for the next 8 years or so. I don't think we realize how poorly the drafts in the 90s were at stocking the league with talent. The league hit a nose dive at the tail end of the Jordan era, and there's a nice generation of younger players on their way up.

But what people need to admit is that basketball will never get back to the Jordan-Bird-Magic era. That was one moment in time. So either enjoy the game or go watch something else. Cause long diatribes on the state of the game aren't going to change that.
Philly Fresh
Senior
And1: 2

Post#28 » by Philly Fresh » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:29 pm

The only thing I would say that is causing any sort of downfall in the NBA's excitement would be the ticky-tack and superstar fouls.

This isn't the WNBA, the refs need to let the players just play it out and stop giving out technicals for players swearing. If they're trying to make the NBA a more "family-friendly" environment, how about limiting the amount of beer sold during games? I'd rather let my son/daughter hear the faintest sound of "f***" or "bullsh**" than be surrounded by a bunch of drunk bums.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#29 » by NetsForce » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:38 pm

What a crappy thread. I want my time and post back.
Cevap
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#30 » by Cevap » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:08 pm

You missed the biggest problem about the NBA. GUARANTEED CONTRACTS. it's crippling the league and I think the level of play would rise a lot if they switched to an NFL based pay.
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
And1: 0
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#31 » by djtruebeliever » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:23 pm

if I wanted to read a crappy thread I would have opened up one of my own, thank you very much.
I'm in Kokokiko!
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#32 » by NetsForce » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:33 pm

Cevap wrote:You missed the biggest problem about the NBA. GUARANTEED CONTRACTS. it's crippling the league and I think the level of play would rise a lot if they switched to an NFL based pay.

No. Just no.
bballmaniac27
Starter
And1: 4

Post#33 » by bballmaniac27 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:37 pm

If you don't like it then don't watch. Do everyone a favour and stop whining.
Cevap
Banned User

Post#34 » by Cevap » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:45 pm

NetsForce wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No. Just no.

yes, jerome james, larry hughes, mike bibby, ben wallace and so on and so forth
xstockholmsyndromex
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#35 » by xstockholmsyndromex » Sat Jan 5, 2008 10:56 pm

Your relocation argument is crap. Most of the teams you listed have done more and have been more successful in the cities they relocated to ,than they ever did in their original cities. I would think that has helped the league to have teams like LA Lakers and the Utah Jazz be more successful in their new found homes.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,137

Post#36 » by Heat3 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:38 am

thefranchise2k5 wrote:
So let me get this straight, you think the top pick in the draft should go to the best team? Yep, that makes sense

mattyj, did I say that anywhere in the post? I'm just discouraging tanking and think that all the teams that dont make the playoffs deserve an equal chance of getting the 1st pick.

that is why there is a lottery. So tanking doesn't ensure #1....ask the Celtics.
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#37 » by Rooster » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:51 am

Cevap wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

yes, jerome james, larry hughes, mike bibby, ben wallace and so on and so forth

Who all pointed guns at those GMs' heads, right? Accountability is king. Somehow, the Pistons and Spurs don't have these problems.

Philly Fresh speaks the truth.
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.
Cevap
Banned User

Post#38 » by Cevap » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:01 am

Rooster wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Who all pointed guns at those GMs' heads, right? Accountability is king. Somehow, the Pistons and Spurs don't have these problems.

Philly Fresh speaks the truth.

you're right. but don't you think the league would be better if ferry, isiah (maybe not), petrie, and paxson had a chance to repair their mistake that doesn't involve them to gut the team and take on worse contracts. I don't know how anyone could with a straight face say that the league would be better with guaranteed contracts....it literally cripples the team until those players are expiring.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#39 » by Malinhion » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:06 am

There's no Bullets in Washington!!!
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#40 » by Rooster » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:18 am

Cevap wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you're right. but don't you think the league would be better if ferry, isiah (maybe not), petrie, and paxson had a chance to repair their mistake that doesn't involve them to gut the team and take on worse contracts. I don't know how anyone could with a straight face say that the league would be better with guaranteed contracts....it literally cripples the team until those players are expiring.

They have a chance in a buyout or trade. It might cost a few bucks or a first-round pick but that's life for you, isn't it?

In the famous words of Jason Kidd, "if contracts weren't guaranteed, no one would ever pass." In the NFL, the framework of the formation forces you to play as a team. The NBA doesn't work that way, and so having guaranteed contracts takes the pressure off the guys' backs. There's also the detail of there being far less players in the NBA - even the stupidest GMs never amass more than 3-5 bad contracts.

EDIT: As for how it "literally cripples the team until those players are expiring", I guess Cleveland felt really crippled by Hughes's contract during last year's playoff run...
Schadenfreude wrote:Not going to lie, if I found out that one of the seemingly illiterate morons we'd banned on the Raptors board was Primoz Brezec, it'd pretty much make my decade.

Return to The General Board