When Measuring a Player's Greatness ....

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

When Measuring a Player's Greatness do you measure them more on how they did in the Playoffs or Regular Season?

Playoffs
74%
Regular Season
26%

Total votes: 27

JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

When Measuring a Player's Greatness .... 

Post#1 » by JordansBulls » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:49 pm

When Measuring a Player's Greatness do you measure them more on how they did in the Playoffs or Regular Season?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#2 » by CJ_18 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:52 pm

They earn themselves a name in the regular season..

they solidify it in the playoffs.
AIfan3
Head Coach
And1: 3,683

Post#3 » by AIfan3 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:55 pm

CJ_18 wrote:They earn themselves a name in the regular season..

they solidify it in the playoffs.

TRUTH.. End thread
KnicksH20
Rookie
And1: 41

Post#4 » by KnicksH20 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:02 pm

Playoffs are definately important, but look at guys like Charles Barkley. An absolute monster, but he never won a title and only went to the finals once. You measure him on his greatness in the Regular season, not in the playoffs.

Also, guys like Robert Horry haven't done jack in the regular season, but have been phenomenal in the playoffs. So you can't base it on one or the other.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#5 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:19 pm

I base it on 65% playoffs, and 35% regular season..of course it's different for certain players..Shaq a few years ago, and Duncan these days, are measured more in the playoffs than they are in the regular season for example..

in the playoffs, you play the best teams in the NBA..in the regular season, you also play them, but you also mix in the bad teams..in the playoffs, you have to adjust, since you play the SAME team at least 4 times..that's a lot more difficult to do offensively, since teams are going to adjust to you every game..

if a player's overall play is lower in the playoffs than it is in the regular season, this will ALWAYS bring in some justified criticism IMO..that is when you are supposed to elevate your game, because that is your road to a championship..and isn't that supposed to be the main reason to play in a league?(other than the $, of course)..
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
And1: 0
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#6 » by djtruebeliever » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:20 pm

horry never lit someone up for like 40-50 pts in the playoffs. you can be a star during the regular season, but you are not great. rockets fans are gonna jump all over this but tmac has never really advanced in the playoffs, despite his scoring prowess, etc. etc. he is a legitimate superstar but he is not great, because when the games really matter, his team hasn't won.
I'm in Kokokiko!
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#7 » by kooldude » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:23 pm

It's definitely more playoffs than regular season. If it was just regular season, Wilt would be the GOAT instead of you know who. ;)
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
Jules Winnfield
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Jules Winnfield » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:39 pm

The answer is complex and the answer depends on many factors.

I think championships add to a player's legacy and the playoffs are more important than a single regular season game in winning a championship. If you have a championship team around you, then only one thing matters - your finals performance. The first round, second round simply doesn't matter. It is the finals. I don't like crediting players who coast in the regular season on championship teams only to tear it up in the playoffs, unless they win a title.

If you're not a championship contender then I think much more emphasis should be placed on regular season play. It shows how resilient you are, it shows how your team is developing and growing and it allows you to really showcase how good you are relative to all your peers - rather than just your peers on really deep (playoff) teams.

The greatest modern players of all time really performed well in the finals and in the regular season. No coasting. Jordan never coasted. Magic, Bird didn't coast. KAJ didn't coast. Kobe doesn't coast. Even guys who never won a championship are considered great players because they played at a high level every night -82 in the regular season and however long they were in the playoffs. AI for example is a champion in my eyes. KG too.

Shaq always infuriated me with his coasting and that's why he'll never be the greatest center to ever play the game.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#9 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:41 pm

Robert Horry is actually a legit playoff performer IMO..I get to see him in the regular season all the time, and I can honestly tell you that he's a completely different player in the playoffs..

the Pistons-Spurs game 5 was one of the best performances I've ever seen in my life..I just kept saying, "no Horry, don't take that shot" and he would keep making it..that dunk on Rip just seemed like Horry wasn't even Horry anymore..it just didn't make any sense..

last year's shot in Denver..I knew he would make that..I finally got used to it..
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,258

Post#10 » by XTC » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:30 am

Stars are made in the regular seasons... legends are made in the playoffs.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,566

Post#11 » by hermes » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:46 am

XTC wrote:Stars are made in the regular seasons... legends are made in the playoffs.
Taiwan Killa
Banned User

Post#12 » by Taiwan Killa » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:26 am

You build a name for yourself in the regular season.

Everything you do in the playoffs is like doing what you did in the regular season times 3.

After Wade's finals run he was considered better than Lebron
After Deron's playoff run he was hands down better than Paul.
After Baron's playoff run he was considered an MVP.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#13 » by Malinhion » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:10 am

Depends whether we're talking about Wilt or Jordan.
ericwill
Junior

Post#14 » by ericwill » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:24 am

True Greatness is measured in the Playoffs, which is why MJ has the best resume for being the GOAT.
I am the Don of NBA Knowledge!
ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#15 » by ljp24 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:31 am

Taiwan Killa wrote:You build a name for yourself in the regular season.

Everything you do in the playoffs is like doing what you did in the regular season times 3.

After Wade's finals run he was considered better than Lebron
After Deron's playoff run he was hands down better than Paul.
After Baron's playoff run he was considered an MVP.

Not anymore.
Taiwan Killa
Banned User

Post#16 » by Taiwan Killa » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:56 am

ljp24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Not anymore.

I know not now but after his performance.
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#17 » by ilikecb4 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:22 am

CP3>DWIll any day of the week

Return to The General Board