Derek Fisher - best offseason free agent signing?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#41 » by That Nicka » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:30 am

^ I dont consider Grant Hill that great of a pickup because I think he actually takes a little bit away from Shawn Marion and maybe even Raja Bell too... Grant is having a great year but both those guys numbers have dipped
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,356

Post#42 » by mkot » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:25 am

Bgil wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Larry Brown called him "a turnover waiting to happen".

Mike D'Antoni also called him "a turnover waiting to happen" when he was with the Suns for a 10-day contract...
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
mkot
RealGM

Post#43 » by mkot » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:30 am

That Nicka wrote:^ I dont consider Grant Hill that great of a pickup because I think he actually takes a little bit away from Shawn Marion and maybe even Raja Bell too... Grant is having a great year but both those guys numbers have dipped

By your logic, Amare Stoudemire is a bad addition to the 06-07 Suns team because he Boris Diaw's numbers, including minutes, were way down from the previous year...
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#44 » by UDRIH14 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:26 pm

mikki moore and beno
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
Craig McDermott
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Craig McDermott » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:05 pm

gswhoops wrote:I don't think Fisher really counts because by all rights, he shouldn't have been a free agent. Utah let him out of his contract so he could get his daughter cancer treatment, basically knowing he would sign with the Lakers.

Grant Hill seems like a better choice IMO.

That ain't the question, unless you are stating that Hill has done more for the Suns than Fisher has for the Lakers. It's about play, not how the guy was signed. It's not like you can ignore the fact that you see Fisher wearing a Laker jersey just because his daughter brought him to LA.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#46 » by JordansBulls » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:06 pm

tnayrbrocks wrote:lol Fisher was a Godsend for the lakers

JordansBulls you should make sure you know wtf your talking about next time before you get exposed

Maybe you should actually read before making a comment. This is the only thing I said in my post:

The guy averaged 11 ppg. Not even half the players on any team average that.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Craig McDermott
Banned User

Post#47 » by Craig McDermott » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:11 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

See what playing with Kobe Bryant can do for a shooter?

Well, there's obvious problems with this when you consider Fisher played with a prime Shaq and Kobe.
Craig McDermott
Banned User

Post#48 » by Craig McDermott » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:24 pm

JordansBulls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Your problem is that you propped Smush. Someone recently got pissy when I pointed out that Hitler earned a rarely awarded medal for bravery in WWI. Most people don't wanna hear any perceived positive about Hitler OR Smush. They're one in the same.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#49 » by JordansBulls » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:25 pm

tkb wrote:So you're admitting to not having seen him play at the back end of last season?

Let's put it this way; I wouldn't want Smush on the team even if I received payment to watch him play.

When neither Phil Jackson nor Pat Riley wants anything more to do with you as a player, you know you're pretty much done. But hey, he averaged 11 ppg once. Never mind that 2 of the 3 greatest coaches of all time wants no part of him.

Hey I didn't say the guy was a good player or helped the team, I just said he averaged 11 ppg and that half of the players on any team don't average that.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#50 » by CourtsideTV » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:59 pm

on the ish lakers ^ i could avg 11 ppg on the lakers..kobes gonna get you mad open
Work Hard
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#51 » by tkb » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:29 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Hey I didn't say the guy was a good player or helped the team, I just said he averaged 11 ppg and that half of the players on any team don't average that.

So why did you state that he averaged 11 points without saying you agreed that he was rubbish (which he clearly was)?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#52 » by hermes » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:32 pm

grant hill has been good

but i vote for fish because of the drastic improvement he has been over smush
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#53 » by realfung » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:23 pm

LA is lucky.......only bif club has that attraction.

Fisher is big in LA.....
reggielewis
Veteran
And1: 313

Post#54 » by reggielewis » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:02 pm

fisher or posey. being abosotn fan (suprise suprise) watchign posey every night i have no idea how the heat le thim go. we got him for almost nothing (3.5mill) ad with this defensive concept that our team has he is like the glue to keep it together. he can guard all 5 positions on the court, he is a great leader, he is a great communicator, he hits that open shot almost every time he has it, he also can take the ball to hoop pretty well. But i think the thing that has impressed me the most about him is that he is a very underrated rebounder. I never realized how well he attacks the boards. He has has at least 3 2 games so far where he grabbed 10 plus rebounds and he doesnt play 30 min a game either. I love this pick up
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#55 » by That Nicka » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:31 pm

mkot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

By your logic, Amare Stoudemire is a bad addition to the 06-07 Suns team because he Boris Diaw's numbers, including minutes, were way down from the previous year...

But the team got better... They improved by 7 games... The Suns+Grant Hill are not as good as they were last year AND Grant Hill is taking away from the production of other players... (so far)

Derek Fisher is much better than Smush Parker and the Lakers are much better than they were last year (so far)
candy for lunch
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#56 » by candy for lunch » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:00 pm

Travis Outlaw!
Jules Winnfield
Banned User

Post#57 » by Jules Winnfield » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:35 pm

Craig McDermott wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, there's obvious problems with this when you consider Fisher played with a prime Shaq and Kobe.

He never played with a prime Kobe before. lol

See Mike Miller's comments posted by semi-sentiment.
Jules Winnfield
Banned User

Post#58 » by Jules Winnfield » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:36 pm

JordansBulls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hey I didn't say the guy was a good player or helped the team, I just said he averaged 11 ppg and that half of the players on any team don't average that.

So you post useless information to get a rise out of posters?
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#59 » by greenbeans » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:46 pm

Posey for me, but Fish has REALLY helped turn LA into a night in, night out machine. like other posters said, how the hell did MIA let Posey go?!?! hes been one of the main 3 reasons were numero uno on D imo, along with KG and Thibodeau. ive fallen in love with his game, one of the guys you HATE on the other team but love when hes got your colors on. id say its a tossup between those two.
mkot
RealGM

Post#60 » by mkot » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:40 pm

That Nicka wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But the team got better... They improved by 7 games...

Thank you.

The Suns+Grant Hill are not as good as they were last year AND Grant Hill is taking away from the production of other players... (so far)

That's not right. The Suns has improved with the addition of Hill (both the team and his individual stats). You have to look beyond record. They traded James Jones so they can sign Grant Hill. And the Suns definitely is better with Hill than with James Jones (just like how the Lakers is better with Fisher than with Parker). The Suns are struggling right now because of a few issues here and there, but Hill isn't one of them. If he's shooting below 30% on 3s, then you probably can say that but he isn't.

Return to The General Board