James White vs a Jumping Myth (article)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#61 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:45 am

Taiwan Killa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hm alright. What is the APBRmetric board?

BTW it's cool that those guys breaking into the business post here. I hope it happens. It seems like some RealGM members know so much more than members of the media. Especially the ones who try or claim to know all about a whole bunch of sports. I bet Tsherkin knows more about basketball than 95% of the media. And the 5% are players who get knowledge from being around the game for so long.

Google it to get the link. There's not a lot of activity there, and not a wide range to talk about, but it you want to learn about stats it's a good place. If you look closely, you'll even see some RealGMers there.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,417

Post#62 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 am

tha_rock220 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Are you saying you're as tall as Dwight Howard and could jump as high or were you talking about Wilt???

thief must've missed this...or maybe he ignored it i'm not sure. But thief is a big mug! He's seriously as big as Dwight, not sure about that jumping bit but he's one big guy. He tried to walk-on to the Hornets this past summer and then joined the Vipers in the NBDL, but he got jerked around by the staff there.

Back on topic...

Dwight apparently has been working since last year to train and get higher and higher on the board. Ever since his 12'6" mark wasn't impressive to the judges in the dunk contest, he's been trying every day to get higher. I doubt he's gotten there yet, but I think if he devoted all his time and energy to increasing his vert he could.

I don't think anyone has ever done it. There'd be a picture, video, more verifications. If someone could do it, don't you think he'd be doing it all the time to show off? Don't you think at least all his teammates would've seen him do it? Not just some random guy?

I'm the biggest Wilt fan out there, but i've come to realize not even he could probably do it. The only proof we've got that Wilt could is his word, which unfortunately isn't worth much because of his 20,000 women claim (whether he did it or not this claim ruined his word's worth forever), and an old school leaping legend, who could've said it because Wilt was his friend or something.

I think someone will do it one day, and when they do it'll be a big deal. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's not even a basketball player. Might just be some freakish athlete.
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#63 » by Jordan23Forever » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:20 am

Jordan23Forever wrote:Also, does anyone know exactly how high the top of the box is on a regulation backboard? I mean the exact height of the upper horizontal stripe of paint on the box. You can estimate it, sure, but does anyone know for certain?

Anyone?
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 58

Post#64 » by Myth_Breaker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:51 am

So Dwight reached 12'6 during the sticker dunk, being 6-10 barefoot. Wilt was 7-1 1/16 barefoot. I don't remember exact numbers at the moment, but I suppose Chamberlain's wingspan gave him at least another inch extra. So if he were to reach top of the backboard at 13 feet, he'd have to jump basically 2 inches higher than Dwight. Is it outside of the realm of possibility, like some posters claim here? I don't think so: and many contemporary observers confirm Wilt's exploits...
http://wiltfan.tripod.com
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
"So what, son, did your Poles help you?" YES, WE DID!
***** *** Kukiza i KonfederacjÄ™!
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#65 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:41 pm

[quote="UCFJayBird"][/quote]

didnt even see the comment man...thanks for getting my back though...
OzThunder
Rookie
And1: 393

Post#66 » by OzThunder » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 pm

i heard that durant got a step ladder and put $15 dollars up on the backboard and luke ridnour jumped up and put 2 $5 dollar notes a few dollars and some small change up there before returning and dropping a dime to chris wilcox
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Re: James White vs a Jumping Myth (article) 

Post#67 » by hype_2004 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:TrueHoop
has a fascinating, and amusing, article on one man's search to find someone who can touch the top of the backboard.

My thoughts on the players interviewed after reading this: I believe White has at least gotten close enough that I wouldn't have a problem giving him the nod in terms of pure leaping ability (actually time everything perfect on the backboard would be tougher). I think Howard and all the other guys who he talked to that claimed they could are full of it.

I also really don't believe there's ever been someone White's size with his ability to reach so high before (at least among people in the basketball world), so I definitely call BS on the Skywalkers of the world. Bigger guys like Wilt, I could see arguments for, but even then I'm skeptical seeing how a guy like Howard doesn't even come close.

I think the "make change of the top of the backboard" legend is completely made up. Don't buy that anyone could ever do that.

Your thoughts?

James White is legit "WORLD-CLASS" leaper, with a competition long jump of 27+ feet and has high jumped well over 7 feet. The guy is 6'7 with long arms, if he can't touch the top of the backboard with a head of steam(he came extremely close in a video floating somewhere on youtube a few months ago) then no one on god's green earth can do it.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#68 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:23 pm

I touch the top of the backboard all the time..nobody is ever there to see it though..
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#69 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:25 pm

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I touch the top of the backboard all the time..nobody is ever there to see it though..
of course...there was that one time it was video taped, the video is floating around somewhere on youtube...
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#70 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm

ya I'm not supposed to mention that..James White spent his whole NBA contract bribing me to take it off the internet..
telele
Junior
And1: 0

Post#71 » by telele » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Video of James white and picture.

http://tv.mofile.com/cn/xplayer.swf?v=WH6CAUSB

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#72 » by 5DOM » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:59 pm

telele wrote:Video of James white and picture.

http://tv.mofile.com/cn/xplayer.swf?v=WH6CAUSB

(picture)

insane..
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#73 » by ManualRam » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:42 pm

anybody mention pre-injury ralph sampson?
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,800

Post#74 » by floppymoose » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:32 am

tha_rock220 wrote:Nobody in the history of the NBA could do this. Say what you will about the man, but Wilt chamberlain's story about making change on the backboard is BS. Wilt's standing reach was 9'7". The top of the backboard is 13' feet up. That means that just to get his fingertips even with the top he'd have to have a 41" vertical. To actually get your hand over the backboard to start doing that would require at least an extra 3" meaning he'd need to be able to jump 44", and I don't care what anyone say that just never happened.

If I could get even with the top, I could get change off with just another 1.5". That lowers the total vertical needed to just 42.5".

Return to The General Board