Who's got the best Work Ethic in the NBA?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OJmayoMVP
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#101 » by OJmayoMVP » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:13 am

Kobe has been a lazy defender throughout his career, maybe not this year but for most of his career. Defense is the symbol of work ethic (especially for a superstar as they already expend energy at the offensive end), guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are light-years ahead of Kobe in work ethic due to their constant dominance at both ends (every year).

What I\'m most worried about with Kobe is his need to inform the media of his workout regime. That information appears entirely driven by image rather than ethic. The players with the best work ethics are most likely those at the end of the bench who are struggling for court-time. Nobody knows about their work-out regimes, and nobody knew about Jordan\'s regime (with Tim Grover) either which is apparently top secret even today.

And Dwight Howard appears to be the hardest working player this year :nod:
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#102 » by farzi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:49 am

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Kobe's start at 4AM.

MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD!
Number34
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#103 » by Number34 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:03 am

Hendrix wrote:
CupcakeNoFillin wrote:Man people are saying Kobe, even though the only reason he's good is because he's gifted.... :nonono:

He calls it the 666 Workout: 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, 6 months a year.

Consists of:
2 hours of running
2 hours of basketball
1 hour of Cardio (boxing, jump rope, etc)
1 hour of Weights which are listed below:

Day 1 & Day 4
Bench press
Lat pull-downs
Incline press
Military press
Abdominal crunches

Day 2 & Day 5
Lateral dumbbell raises
Bar dips
Tricep press-downs
Bicep curls
Abdominal crunches

Day 3 & Day 6
Back squats/Front squats
Leg curls
Leg extensions
Calf raises
Abdominal crunches

just six months a year?
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Post#104 » by bballcool34 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:51 am

Vince Carter.

In all seriousness, Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, Nash, Arenas.
Damn
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#105 » by Hendrix » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:05 am

Number34 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

just six months a year?

It would be imposible to keep that up through the regular season grind. Pretty impessive off season routine. Looks like overtraining to me, but he must be a freak.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
FANOFNBA
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#106 » by FANOFNBA » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:35 am

6and33areGOD wrote:KG summer routine:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... g_details/

starts at 7 am:
90 mins. weight training
90 mins drills/ 5 on 5 scrimmage

some of the drills:
-garnett gets the ball in the post and wears a cable, one guy tries to yank him out of his position and another tries to steal the ball.
- sprints while pulling a man connected to him by cable.

I read somewhere else (i don't remember where) that Garnett begins his workout regimen three days after his last game of the season.

kg comes to los angeles to work out with kobe over the summers. they been spotted running at the beach, a few times

to add to this. I know of guys like baron davis, jordan farmar, kg, kobe, pierce, and Im sure Im forgetting a few other guys that come to ucla to play pick up games against each other in the off season.
Vincent 666
Lead Assistant
And1: 44

Post#107 » by Vincent 666 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:46 am

This thread is funny because we really dont know how hard guys work out in the off season or during/after practice. We're not there watching so who knows. Any type of info on players workouts is usually second hand anyway.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by yunggunz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:56 am

The best work ethi in the league in all likelihood doesnt belong to a guy like Kobe or KG. I would guess its the less talented, less athletically gifted players that find a way to make it into the league that work the hardest. Its the Azubuike's and Moon's that bust their asses the hardest.
FANOFNBA
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#109 » by FANOFNBA » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:57 am

Vincent 666 wrote:This thread is funny because we really dont know how hard guys work out in the off season or during/after practice. We're not there watching so who knows. Any type of info on players workouts is usually second hand anyway.

that may be true, but it doesn't take a rocket science to see it. common sense tells you when a player comes in after off season in better shape with added moves, or improvement, you would think that they are hard workers. (except in a contract year :lol: )
Vincent 666
Lead Assistant
And1: 44

Post#110 » by Vincent 666 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:13 am

OJmayoMVP wrote:
What I\'m most worried about with Kobe is his need to inform the media of his workout regime. That information appears entirely driven by image rather than ethic. The players with the best work ethics are most likely those at the end of the bench who are struggling for court-time. Nobody knows about their work-out regimes, and nobody knew about Jordan\'s regime (with Tim Grover) either which is apparently top secret even today.

Yeah Kobes the only one who does that and Jordan never ever did it :banghead: :rofl:
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#111 » by UDRIH14 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:23 am

6and33areGOD wrote:KG summer routine:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... g_details/

starts at 7 am:
90 mins. weight training
90 mins drills/ 5 on 5 scrimmage

some of the drills:
-garnett gets the ball in the post and wears a cable, one guy tries to yank him out of his position and another tries to steal the ball.
- sprints while pulling a man connected to him by cable.

I read somewhere else (i don't remember where) that Garnett begins his workout regimen three days after his last game of the season.

is this the same regime he used in minnesota? cause he did punch out some player when it didnt go his way....
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:27 am

OJmayoMVP wrote:Kobe has been a lazy defender throughout his career, maybe not this year but for most of his career. Defense is the symbol of work ethic (especially for a superstar as they already expend energy at the offensive end), guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are light-years ahead of Kobe in work ethic due to their constant dominance at both ends (every year).

KG's defense hadn't been dominant in Minny since 2004 and before that it was slipping too. Before he left MN the radio guys on the fan were even calling him out for people overrating his defense.

Kobe's D slipped because he was used as the rover in order to stop all the penetration. Remember, we had Chucky Atkins and Smush Parker as our starting PG's for the last 3 years. When we made him the "stopper" he generally did extremely well including locking down ray Allen and VC on consecutive nights and other great performances (redd's 56 notwithstanding).

Actually Jordan wrote a book talking about his workouts. I got it for my birthday when I was 10 or so. He also talked about his eating habits and soaking his feet after every game. Hell, this is a guy who publicized that he wore his NC shorts under his uniform during every game. Jordan and his media team weren't shy about sharing info about him.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:29 am

UDRIH14 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

is this the same regime he used in minnesota? cause he did punch out some player when it didnt go his way....

Rick Rickert, University of Minnesota. That team could have been awesome had he, Kris Humphries, Mo Hargrow never left.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,186

Post#114 » by skones » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:38 am

theGreatRC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What's Kobe's physical ability then? He's worked for the skill set he has now.

Kobe was very athletic coming into the league and he still is very athletic. He came in with tremendous physical tools that some others aren't blessed with. This, of course, allows him to do things that other players aren't able to accomplish.
reck0n3r
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#115 » by reck0n3r » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Phil Jackson wrote:Kobe Bryant has the best work ethic. That's how he became The Greatest of All Time.

:o

:rofl2:

:rofl:
Blazermark!
Ballboy

Post#116 » by Blazermark! » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:42 pm

The Blazers from top to bottom have the best work ethic! They aren't settling for what the rest of the league expects from them! Include Oden in that list! He is way ahead in his rehab and has added a ton of muscle mass in the process. He will be a beast next year! I think Blazers get to the second round this year, at least, and go DEEP next year, maybe winning it all!
GO BLAZERS!!!
Vernon Maxwell
Junior

Post#117 » by Vernon Maxwell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:49 pm

skones wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I HIGHLY doubt that. Some guys just don't have the physical ability to succeed at that level.

you really think steve nash is as athletic as other all-stars?

hint: he's white
RoxFan08
Veteran

Post#118 » by RoxFan08 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Blazermark! wrote:The Blazers from top to bottom have the best work ethic! They aren't settling for what the rest of the league expects from them! Include Oden in that list! He is way ahead in his rehab and has added a ton of muscle mass in the process. He will be a beast next year! I think Blazers get to the second round this year, at least, and go DEEP next year, maybe winning it all!

Let's not let this all get to your head, shall we? Portland won't win a playoff series, and I doubt they even make it this year. They will likely start next season worse than they did this season because Oden will have to learn. He played pretty poorly in the Summer League as I recall. There is a learning period, and for big, raw players like Oden, its a long, steep curve.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,186

Post#119 » by skones » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:56 pm

Vernon Maxwell wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you really think steve nash is as athletic as other all-stars?

hint: he's white

Just because he doesn't have the vertical ability some other guys do does not mean he isn't athletic.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,139

Post#120 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:33 pm

David LEEEEe

Return to The General Board