Flu/Sick Games - Legitimate Phenomenon or Random Anomaly?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Balls
Banned User
And1: 1

Flu/Sick Games - Legitimate Phenomenon or Random Anomaly? 

Post#1 » by Balls » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:05 am

Kobe just dropped 37 on the Bucks while suffering from a upper respitorary infection and this is not the first time he's pulled off a great performance while sick.

Michael Jordan famously had his "sick game" in game 5 of the 1997 finals. Even Nocioni suffering from flu-like symptoms last night scored a game high 27 points to lead the Bulls to victory.

Can some players really perform at a higher level while they're sick?
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#2 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:56 am

I wouldn't say "higher" level.."high" level is accurate..higher level would mean they play better when they are sick, which is impossible..

I like Isiah's playoff game with a messed up ankle more than any of the flu games..I've played basketball with a major ankle sprain, and I could barely move, and I had to sit out after 15 minutes..I don't know how he did it in the NBA at a high level in a big game..
FANOFNBA
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#3 » by FANOFNBA » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:03 am

I was thinking about that earlier, and what I think is when they come in sick, they know they are at a disadvantage, so they raise there play to another level, to make up for it.

kind of like when a player on your team goes down, any ways thats just my logic. oh and that only applies to star players, because scrubs just cant do that.
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#4 » by Phobo_Phile » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:55 am

It's because when your body is sick or tired yet you force yourself to exerpt extreme amounts of energy your body begins to rely on more primal instincts. Just like I'm sure most of you have been really tired and then you get a "second wind". They say it happens a lot in humans that at sometimes when they are at the most exhausted they can also be the most productive, espicially sexually.
Bgil
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:11 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I wouldn't say "higher" level.."high" level is accurate..higher level would mean they play better when they are sick, which is impossible..

I like Isiah's playoff game with a messed up ankle more than any of the flu games..I've played basketball with a major ankle sprain, and I could barely move, and I had to sit out after 15 minutes..I don't know how he did it in the NBA at a high level in a big game..

That game was fricken sick. It was painful just watching him run down the court and just the fact that he put up like 21 in a quarter on Michael Cooper is amazing.

I don't care how many bad contracts he brings to NY, he still gets ULTIMATE respect from me for that game.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005

Return to The General Board