LAKERS number 1 seed in the Western Conference. Officially

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#41 » by Phobo_Phile » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:18 pm

...Charles Barkley must be rolling over in his grave.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#42 » by That Nicka » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:People mocking others for underestimating the Lakers - Dude, when your own star thought the team was crap, then nobody with any kind of objectivity expected this. This isn't to say you didn't, just that if you did you had no rational basis for it.

Our star thought our team was crap because we were a first round and out team... which means we were a playoff team, just not good enough to go far in the playoffs... Each of the last 2 years we were the #7 seed... despite injuries and having garbage players in the starting lineup... This year 2 of our positions could ONLY get better:

PG: because Fisher>Smush... + a year of NBA experience for Farmar
C: because Bynum would only take more minutes away from Kwame

A lot of people, except Laker fans, were banking on Kobe being traded which was dumb because the Bulls best two players are still on their rookie contract and no way the Lakers would take back Ben Wallace... and who else was there really?? No way Kobe was going to the Knicks or any Western Conference team... Lastly, Kobe is not Vince Carter... He's going to play hard everynight... as evidence of 45 points in the first game of the season even with a sprained wrist...

Laker fans knew that we had made the playoffs at #7 the last two years with Smush Parker STARTING at point guard... Why would we miss the playoffs with the addition of Derek Fisher and another year of experience under Farmar and Bynum's belts???????

BS we didnt have a rational reason of thinking we would be better than last year...
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#43 » by tkb » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:29 pm

Phobo_Phile wrote:...Charles Barkley must be rolling over in his grave.

I must've missed his funeral..
CDB
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#44 » by CDB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:32 pm

tkb wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl:

Thats what I thought
Dont Get Kobeterized!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,343

Post#45 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:36 pm

That Nicka wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Our star thought our team was crap because we were a first round and out team... which means we were a playoff team, just not good enough to go far in the playoffs... Each of the last 2 years we were the #7 seed... despite injuries and having garbage players in the starting lineup... This year 2 of our positions could ONLY get better:

PG: because Fisher>Smush... + a year if NBA experience for Farmar
C: because Bynum would only take more minutes away from Kwame

A lot of people, except Laker fans, were banking on Kobe being traded which was dumb because the Bulls best two players are still on their rookie contract and no way the Lakers would take back Ben Wallace... and who else was there really?? No way Kobe was going to the Knicks or any Western Conference team

Laker fans knew that we had made the playoffs at #7 the last two years with Smush Parker STARTING at point guard... Why would we miss the playoffs with the addition of Derek Fisher and another year of experience under Farmar and Bynum's belts???????

Well seeing as how the Lakers had made the playoffs previously, I was never one to bank on them missing it this year. However, I will admit that if you had told me ahead of time that the 8 seed in the conference would be on pace for 47 wins at this point, I wouldn't be crazy about the Lakers chances especially after Kobe's tirades.

But let's keep focus for a second. The Lakers are currently on pace for 57 wins, after being a .500 ballclub previously. That is a drastic improvement. Did you really see that coming? If you did, why do you think you understood the Lakers so much better than Kobe did? Because there's no way Kobe demands a trade if he expects his team to be the #1 seed come January.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#46 » by That Nicka » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well seeing as how the Lakers had made the playoffs previously, I was never one to bank on them missing it this year. However, I will admit that if you had told me ahead of time that the 8 seed in the conference would be on pace for 47 wins at this point, I wouldn't be crazy about the Lakers chances especially after Kobe's tirades.

But let's keep focus for a second. The Lakers are currently on pace for 57 wins, after being a .500 ballclub previously. That is a drastic improvement. Did you really see that coming? If you did, why do you think you understood the Lakers so much better than Kobe did? Because there's no way Kobe demands a trade if he expects his team to be the #1 seed come January.

No way did I see the Lakers being in first place, or on pace to win 57 games... But many Laker fans, and I will go dig up the posts, thought we could definitely win 50-52 games this year.... Smush was THAT bad and no way (did we think) injuries could hit us nearly as bad as they did last year
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#47 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:50 pm

No way did I see the Lakers being in first place, or on pace to win 57 games... But many Laker fans, and I will go dig up the posts, thought we could definitely win 50-52 games this year.... Smush was THAT bad and no way (did we think) injuries could hit us nearly as bad as they did last year

Ah now here's the key question: Do you think I could dig up predictions of 50-52 wins for the Laker for last year? If you say no, you're naive or lying because I know for a fact people were predicting such things last year after the way the team finished the season the year before that.

This is what I mean: Fans are almost always optimistic about their team's future, and so when good things happen they look psychic, but the vast majority of the time they're just wrong. It's pretty silly to knock Laker-doubters for not seeing this improvement coming when in previous years Laker-homers have been predicting improvement only to see it not happen.

Bottom line: If Kobe didn't see major improvement coming, and he didn't, and knows a lot more than you or I, don't bet the farm on your prognostication skills because you predicted this would happen. You got lucky bro. :P

That Nicka
Banned User

Post#48 » by That Nicka » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:54 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ah now here's the key question: Do you think I could dig up predictions of 50-52 wins for the Laker for last year? If you say no, you're naive or lying because I know for a fact people were predicting such things last year after the way the team finished the season the year before that.

This is what I mean: Fans are almost always optimistic about their team's future, and so when good things happen they look psychic, but the vast majority of the time they're just wrong. It's pretty silly to knock Laker-doubters for not seeing this improvement coming when in previous years Laker-homers have been predicting improvement only to see it not happen.

Bottom line: If Kobe didn't see major improvement coming, and he didn't, and knows a lot more than you or I, don't bet the farm on your prognostication skills because you predicted this would happen. You got lucky bro. :P

True, you make a good point and you probably could dig up posts like that from last year... But at the same time, who knows if the Lakers COULD have won 50-52 games last year had they not been so injury ravaged? remember they started 26-13...
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#49 » by HarlemHeat37 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:56 pm

tkb wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think he was playing..Barkley always uses that line for someone who is still alive..
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#50 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Craig McDermott wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They're still doing it in this very thread and that's with a 15 game cushion. :clap: The uninformed hater brigade...gotta love them kids.

....15? :crazy:
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#51 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Imagine if they never gave us Caron Butler.

Kobe
Caron
Odom
Bynum

oh sheeet
Cracked Fingers
Senior
And1: 3

Post#52 » by Cracked Fingers » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Imagine if they never gave us Caron Butler.

Kobe
Caron
Odom
Bynum

oh sheeet

I'd prefer it have been

Kobe
Caron
Haslem
Bynum

Hell I would trade Odom right now for Haslem and filler.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#53 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:16 pm

The Lakers are a threat to win it all. Kobe is the MVP of the league. You Lakers fans should be proud of your team. Phil Jackson is an amazing coach. And Kwame Brown loves Cake!
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#54 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:18 pm

joe.linnen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Its fans like you that make me damnit sick. If your a true fan damnit then you'll take the good with the bad. There is no in between in this at all. Kwame defense has helped us lots of times and don't you even discredit him for that. He may not be all that great on the offensive side but on the defensive side he has come up big for us. He'll do fine for us.

once or twice on man defense. worst team defender i have ever seen. doesn't help out on pick and roles, gets lost on rotations, provides no lane defense. and for christ sake, NICK COLLISON lit his @$$ up for nearly 30 and 20.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#55 » by Showtime:Part2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:19 pm

The Laker Kid wrote:Stop wasting time trying to hate on Kwame. We all know he sucks but really, what can we do..? We just gotta work with what we have. I'd like to drive a Ferrari too - but guess what.. I can't afford it.

Also, we are not alone in the #1 spot as we share it with Phoenix. Ironically, we play them tomorrow... I expect to get hammered without Bynum and Kobe still sick. :(

I'm hoping for Bynum's speedy recovery...

trade him. sign webber. oh, so many possibilities.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#56 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:32 pm

True, you make a good point and you probably could dig up posts like that from last year... But at the same time, who knows if the Lakers COULD have won 50-52 games last year had they not been so injury ravaged? remember they started 26-13...

Now that is a good point. To be honest I always thought it was strange that Kobe was so down on his teammates after they started the year so well. You can certainly dismiss it some by saying they started with a weak schedule and that their problems by the end of the year seemed less about injuries than about having gotten out of sync, but still 26-13 is damn impressive.

Of course, it is kinda telling that your first explanation for why you predicted improvement was not that the team was already good (and just hurt by injuries), but that their were new things happening that would make the team better. :wink:

kobe#8
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by kobe#8 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 pm

kobe will take bynums 12ppg and kwame 10rpg well be fine..

wow first seed that was long time ago..
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#58 » by semi-sentient » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:52 pm

Cracked Fingers wrote:Hell I would trade Odom right now for Haslem and filler.

Amen to that.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
the7boss
Pro Prospect
And1: 553

Post#59 » by the7boss » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 pm

If Kobe Bryant isnt awarded the MVP this season i'm just done with the NBA.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Post#60 » by Ballings7 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:57 pm

I think you'll go back on your word.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to The General Board