Would Shaq be GOAT if...

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Griever24
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#41 » by Griever24 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:14 am

Doctor MJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think you're confused on multiple levels.

Duncan's Spurs have never been at peak Shaq-Kobe Lakers level.

'03-04 Shaq was obviously a far different animal than the hypothetical guy we're talking about who wasn't obese.

Exactly what i was thinking .. only success the Spurs ever had vs the lakers back then was in 02-03 the year they needed revamping and the squad was getting old .. Other than that swept them in 00-01 and 4-1 01-02 no knock on the Spurs they are a great team and got their rings to prove it but you could argue had that squad stayed together another year and Lakers persued a pf that off-season Spurs may not have had that title the following ...
mcmasterballer
Banned User

Post#42 » by mcmasterballer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:35 am

skones wrote:Shaq's best year was the 1999-2000 season in which he averaged 29.7 points, 13.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists, and 3.0 blocks per game. If he hit his free throws at an 80% clip, and still had the same number of attempts, he'd have averaged 32.6 points per game. It should also be pointed out that he may not have that many attempts if he was able to shoot at that high of a clip. The Hack-A-Shaq would not have been implemented as often due to his percentage there.

You don't think Shaq would've gone to the hole more? He would've averaged more then 35 ppg but his lazy ass never wanted it enough. He was born with god given talent, strength and height but what would have been of his career had he had a little more motivation. He robbed this entire generation of the of what should have been greatness and he should have put an end to all the GOAT conversation. Lazy fatass.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#43 » by skones » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:20 am

mcmasterballer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You don't think Shaq would've gone to the hole more? He would've averaged more then 35 ppg but his lazy ass never wanted it enough. He was born with god given talent, strength and height but what would have been of his career had he had a little more motivation. He robbed this entire generation of the of what should have been greatness and he should have put an end to all the GOAT conversation. Lazy fatass.

Call me crazy, but Dwight Howard just may be that player. He's putting up 22 and 15 at 22 years old. The guy isn't as good as Shaq was at the same age, but the improvements the guy has made over the past 3 and a half seasons coupled with the physical shape he's in, is extremely scary.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,180

Post#44 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:53 pm

basketball royalty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

This part made me think of Wilt Chamberlain, or atleast my perception of him as I was too young to see him play.

I've never seen that as having been a problem; Wilt never seemed to conflict with his teammates on the foundation of shots taken or who was "The Man" or anything like that. And he adapted his game when his coach asked him to change it, which is a lot different from Shaq being strongly responsible for breaking up a dynasty squad because he couldn't stand Kobe (not that he was more than 50% responsible for that, since Kobe wasn't exactly an angel either) and having walked away from Orlando for a similar reason. Wilt never left a team because he couldn't stand his second star.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,523

Post#45 » by ropjhk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 pm

tkb wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Russell.

Which two should I leave off for Shaq?

Shaq is around 8th-10th, not top 5.

Larry Bird and Bill Russell.

Let Celtic fans curse me now.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,523

Post#46 » by ropjhk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Shaq hitting his FTs would make him one of the top 3 unstoppable offensive threats of all time. But for him to be considered the GOAT, he would have to also have been a defender on the same caliber as Russell, Olajuwon and Robinson.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#47 » by Alyosha12 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:50 pm

ropjhk wrote:Shaq hitting his FTs would make him one of the top 3 unstoppable offensive threats of all time. But for him to be considered the GOAT, he would have to also have been a defender on the same caliber as Russell, Olajuwon and Robinson.

Yeah i agree, i probablly jumed the gun on my thoughts, was thinking more along the line, man if Shaq could hit FT he would be unstopable, not thinking of his poor effort on D :P
jaypo
Lead Assistant
And1: 436

Post#48 » by jaypo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:49 pm

NetsForce wrote:Shaq would still be remembered as 'The Guy" who was scared of playing with Kobe... So NO.

Actually, Shaq will be remembered as "The Guy" on 3 of the Lakers title teams with Kobe as his sidekick.

Even so, Shaq is my favorite player of all time, but GOAT is MJ. I hate to say that. And conditioning and laziness is not even a valid argument. How many people on this board are under 15% body fat? And I'm not talking about all of you skinny people. His pick and roll defense is not great because he weighs over 300lbs, and larger people tend to be less mobile. Does that mean that because he can't keep up with 6'1" point guards that he is bad? No. It just means that he isn't as quick as them.

He has historically been a very good on ball defender, and he disrupts the game by his presence alone. Everyone has weaknesses in their game. Even almighty Kobe has a weakness-for heaven's sake- he couldn't accept being the 2nd option on a freakin' dynasty-that's called vanity!!
jaypo
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by jaypo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:53 pm

T.Duncan21 wrote:The fact that u can't close out games should be held against u greatly. Shaq always needed someone else to close out games (Penny, Kobe, Wade) because he couldn't hit FT's and as such... he should be ranked a lot lower than he would have been if he could hit FT's.

To answer the Question... He would have won a ring practically every year and be known as the GOAT if he could hit FT's. He's still gonna be known as a top 10 and at worst... top 15 player of all time.

Personally, I think Hakeem was the better player who never had the supporting cast. He was a beast on BOTH SIDES of the court. Teams always attacked Shaq on the pick and roll since they knew he was weak at that... Teams stayed the hell away from Hakeem no matter where he was on the court. But that Discussion could take place at another time.

Wilt shot free throws worse than Shaq. Does that mean he was bad?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:59 pm

jaypo wrote:Even so, Shaq is my favorite player of all time, but GOAT is MJ. I hate to say that. And conditioning and laziness is not even a valid argument. How many people on this board are under 15% body fat? And I'm not talking about all of you skinny people. His pick and roll defense is not great because he weighs over 300lbs, and larger people tend to be less mobile. Does that mean that because he can't keep up with 6'1" point guards that he is bad? No. It just means that he isn't as quick as them.

This is blatantly incorrect; Shaq is a bad pick-and-roll defender because he doesn't consistently show aggressively and is technically deficient in his defense of the pick-and-roll. He has shown in many stretches that he is capable of doing so even when he was as fat as a house at 380 or so, it's all will and effort and has nothing to do with quickness.

No one's actually stupid enough to harp on him for being incapable of staying in front of a 6'1 athletic guard man-to-man, they're harping on how poorly he shows away from the basket on wing pick-and-rolls on the show-and-recover move that most bigs use to stall a wing player when he gets a screen so that the wing defender has a chance to get over the screen and take back his check from the big.

So that entire paragraph is bunk.
jaypo
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by jaypo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:00 pm

ropjhk wrote:Shaq hitting his FTs would make him one of the top 3 unstoppable offensive threats of all time. But for him to be considered the GOAT, he would have to also have been a defender on the same caliber as Russell, Olajuwon and Robinson.

Okay, then conversely, why can Russell be in the conversation just because of his defense? He didn't alter the game on offense. Shaq altered the game on both ends, although there were many that were better on defense. He was an exceptional offensive player, and an above average defender, but an exceptional defensive presence. You can't penalize someone for not being exceptional in every aspect, or you would have to leave Russell off of the list.
jaypo
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by jaypo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:32 pm

No, Tsherkin. It's not. He's always said that he's a "back to the basket" center. I see people on here saying that he should have developed a mid range game and a pretty jump shot, but when you are able to shoot 60% from inside, why go outside? He used to have a good touch, but when he realized his body was better suited to bang on the inside, he put all of his effort into the inside game. As far as pick and roll defense, he just doesn't feel comfortable going out on the wing to chase the smaller, quicker players. The other teams that attacked the Lakers and Heat on pick and rolls knew this. It was no big secret. The reason he doesn't excel at defending the pick and roll is because of his size. Early on in his career, there wasn't much talk at all about it because he was quicker and better at it. Later on, he slowed down, and it got worse.

Someone also mentioned his dedication. It's a shame that someone that spends his offseason graduating from college, getting his masters degree, studying for his PHD, raising 6 children, and becoming a police officer is penalized for being lazy and not dedicated. Maybe he wasn't as dedicated to the NBA as you people would have liked him to be, but it seems to me that he is the one with his priorities in order, and you people are the ones with the skewed view of reality!!

Iverson, Stephen Jackson, Jamal Tinsley, Kobe, etc. are really dedicated to their resepective games, but they're all over the news in legal trouble time after time. The only time you hear Shaq's name in the "police beat" is when he assists on an arrest, or when he participates in sting operations to arrest internet predators. You see where this is headed? It's a shame the people with the negative home life are praised for how hard they work on the court (and in court), but the one that is dedicated to his family and community is the one that people dump on.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#53 » by RockTHECasbah » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:14 pm

SHAQ is a HIPPO
KOBE is a GOAT
KIDD is a RAT
VINCE is a LEMUR

LEMURRRRRR
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
rocket3forlife2
Senior
And1: 0

Post#54 » by rocket3forlife2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:39 pm

would hakeem be the goat if he hit 3 pointers?
jaypo
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by jaypo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:02 pm

Good point, Rocket. Would Bird be better if he were 7'1 and 320lbs? MJ would be unreal if he could have shot 60% from the field. But his game was not 15 ft or less from the basket. Shaq would have been better if he hit 3's, but he would not have spent as much time in the paint dominating down low and shooting 60%.

One player can't be penalized in this discussion if he had a weakness. Everybody who has ever played had weaknesses. But it's their strenghts that put them on this list. Some have been much better than others at scoring (Wilt, MJ, Kareem), and some have been better defenders than those guys (Russell, Akeem). Some have had the all around package, but weren't as good at one aspect (Akeem vs. Wilt). Akeem was very good at both ends, but not as good of a scorer as Wilt. Some have been above average all around (MJ, Wilt, Shaq). I still don't think Shaq is the GOAT or would be if he hit F/T's. MJ's rings, impact on the NBA, and desire puts him there. However, I think all of the guys discussed belong near the top. "Greatest" depends on who is creating the list. Greatest scorer- Kareem or Wilt. Greatest defender- Russell, Akeem. Greatest desire- MJ, Bird.
T.Duncan21
Junior

Post#56 » by T.Duncan21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:23 pm

rocket3forlife2 wrote:would hakeem be the goat if he hit 3 pointers?
But we're talking about something Shaq did, which hindered his ability. He shot FT's all the time and because of inability to hit them... teams actually went to the Hack and Shaq. He had to be taken out of games at the end because he couldn't hit FT's... He couldn't be relied on to take the final shots of the game because of that reason. I know the point ur trying to make but Shaq not hitting FT's actually held him back from what he could have been. Get it?
T.Duncan21
Junior

Post#57 » by T.Duncan21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

jaypo wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wilt shot free throws worse than Shaq. Does that mean he was bad?
I wasn't able to see any of Wilt's games so I don't know if it did or not. Shaqs inability to hit FT's does not make him a bad player... it hurts his overall impact though... See my post above on why I feel FT's are important.
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#58 » by Alyosha12 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:53 pm

jaypo wrote:Good point, Rocket. Would Bird be better if he were 7'1 and 320lbs? MJ would be unreal if he could have shot 60% from the field. But his game was not 15 ft or less from the basket. Shaq would have been better if he hit 3's, but he would not have spent as much time in the paint dominating down low and shooting 60%.

One player can't be penalized in this discussion if he had a weakness. Everybody who has ever played had weaknesses. But it's their strenghts that put them on this list. Some have been much better than others at scoring (Wilt, MJ, Kareem), and some have been better defenders than those guys (Russell, Akeem). Some have had the all around package, but weren't as good at one aspect (Akeem vs. Wilt). Akeem was very good at both ends, but not as good of a scorer as Wilt. Some have been above average all around (MJ, Wilt, Shaq). I still don't think Shaq is the GOAT or would be if he hit F/T's. MJ's rings, impact on the NBA, and desire puts him there. However, I think all of the guys discussed belong near the top. "Greatest" depends on who is creating the list. Greatest scorer- Kareem or Wilt. Greatest defender- Russell, Akeem. Greatest desire- MJ, Bird.

You fail at getting the point, congratz!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:07 pm

jaypo wrote:No, Tsherkin. It's not. He's always said that he's a "back to the basket" center. I see people on here saying that he should have developed a mid range game and a pretty jump shot, but when you are able to shoot 60% from inside, why go outside?

That has absolutely nothing to do with my comments. I was very clearly speaking only about his pick-and-roll defense. It is Shaq's defensive responsibility to show hard on a high screen-and-roll, he's just always been lazy about it.

As far as pick and roll defense, he just doesn't feel comfortable going out on the wing to chase the smaller, quicker players. The other teams that attacked the Lakers and Heat on pick and rolls knew this. It was no big secret. The reason he doesn't excel at defending the pick and roll is because of his size. Early on in his career, there wasn't much talk at all about it because he was quicker and better at it. Later on, he slowed down, and it got worse.

No, that's definitely incorrect; Shaq has been weak on the pick-and-roll since he was drafted. It got worse as he got lazier but then, so did his rebounding.

Several factors converge here:

CRAPPY conditioning leaning to annual injuries and weaker stamina than he'd have otherwise have had, and lack of effort. It has nothing to do with quickness.

During his first year in Miami wasn't a great deal of discussion about Shaq's pick-and-roll D because he was doing it just fine. He got torched a lot by Billups in the '04 Finals but he was playing without as much effort because he was hugely angered by Kobe and frustrated by the roleplayers failing to contribute.

Someone also mentioned his dedication. It's a shame that someone that spends his offseason graduating from college, getting his masters degree, studying for his PHD, raising 6 children, and becoming a police officer is penalized for being lazy and not dedicated. Maybe he wasn't as dedicated to the NBA as you people would have liked him to be, but it seems to me that he is the one with his priorities in order, and you people are the ones with the skewed view of reality!!

No, there's a difference between balancing work and personal life but Shaq's insistence on ignoring the physical conditioning necessary to play at a level that justifies the contracts he demands is definitely a concern.

The fact that he ever let himself get to 380 pounds is a disgrace, for example, and his history of injuries has a lot to do with his poor conditioning habits. Shaq has done strength training but has plainly neglected to monitor and control his weight, to work sufficiently on flexibility training and what-not.

This is not something you can justify by commenting on it as a "balanced" life; this is someone who isn't displaying the dedication required of a $20+ million dollar player.

That you chose to use those players as an example is a ploy, nothing more. What of Dwight Howard? The worst news anyone has ever heard of him is that he's had a child out of wedlock with a woman with whom he's been in a relationship for three years and that only because he's an outspoken Christian.

What of Alonzo Mourning, or Karl Malone? Karl Malone brought his trucking company down to New Orleans after Katrina to help out. Alonzo Mourning has been a MASSIVE charity force over the years.

I could go on but it would be redundant.

Work ethic is not something associated with thugs. Iverson is the kind of guy who got in trouble for skipping practices, not just in Philly but being late for the Team USA practice one time. He's got heart and desire and what-not but he's hardly a guy you're looking at for the full measure of the word 'dedication.'

And again, you've managed to ignore the equally sizeable group of good citizens who work hard, and doing so only to advance your point. This is a fallacious argument.

EDIT:

As far as the comments being made about diversity of offense...

The problem is Shaq's FT shooting; it has always been abysmal, except for 02-03, when it was merely mediocre to bad. This has been a gross deficiency in his game his entire career.

And he has been resistant to efforts to improve upon it on account of image. Witness him insulting Rick Barry because he has no interest in shooting free throws underhanded, even though Barry could have gotten Shaq to at least 75%, maybe 80%+ from the line.

That'd be a start.

Now, if Shaq were to have developed a 15-foot jumper, that would be all he needed to RADICALLY open up his game.

Remember, Shaq is almost exclusively limited to the low left block; he's much less effective on the right side and his efficiency takes a noticeable hit once he gets past 10 feet from the rim. When he was younger, it was a lot less worrisome but now that his athleticism has diminished, his physical dominance has taken with it a lot of his ability to impact a game offensively. He was much less of an impact player on Miami than he had been at any other time in his career and it was because he couldn't do the same sorts of things he'd done when he was younger.

If he had a 15-footer, he could play high post offense in the style of Vlade and Chris Webber. Or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton.

He wouldn't have to be PREDOMINANTLY a high post player but it would have opened his game up, changed the way defenses had to guard him, etc.

If he'd not turned himself into an overweight lead balloon, he might have taken advantage of a face-up post game to COMPLEMENT his primary back-to-the-basket style, something a 15-footer would've helped. It would have been another way to draw fouls, another way to score when the defenses were loading up on him too heavily in the low post, etc.

Really, it's about maximizing your effectiveness as a player and Shaq has never really made the effort to open up his game, something that would have dramatically altered how dangerous he really could have been.

The common criticism of Shaq has been that his game is limited, and it's true. He was a great player but a lot of the games where he had a crapload of fouls, his ability to impact the game when he wasn't sitting was changed because he had to be a lot more tentative offensively and that ruined his offense. If he could've stepped back and hit some foul-line and baseline jumpers, worked as a high post passing hub and scored off the face-up, he'd have been able to be more aggressive even deeper into foul trouble.

EVERY player should be able to shoot out to 15 feet, no exceptions. To not develop that shot is to prove your lack of dedication to the game and Shaq has long been lambasted for his weak conditioning and game development practices, and rightfully so.
jaypo
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by jaypo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:28 pm

Tsherkin- how tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what is your body fat percentage? What is your activity level, and what is your profession? I live a pretty tame life, but I still don't have much time out of my office to dedicate to my job because I focus the rest of my time on my family and hobbies.

I'll give you mine- 6'0, about 195 today, I work as a Banking Officer, and I am in decent shape. I lift weights (strength and functional training) about 3 days per week, and I'm pretty active on the other days. My body fat % has gotten as high as 19%, but currently is at 15 or so. That's about 3% higher than the average college athlete. I'm no Chris Cormier, but without a shirt on, the girls tend to double take (not bragging, just being truthful). Shaq and all of his coaches have gone on record saying he's never exceeded 15% body fat. Even at his heaviest. And as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat. A person with more muscle mass will be heavier. That is the goal Shaq set out to achieve upon becoming a Laker to put up with the physical demands of playing in the Western Conference. I'm not making this up. This comes from him and Phil Jackson.

About his conditioning, I can't say he was in poor or good shape. I do know that even the best conditioned athletes can be prone to injury. Was Alonzo out of shape when he tore his knee up? Was TMac out of shape when he had his FIRST back problem? No. Injuries are part of the game. Was Shaq kneed in the thigh on the last game of the night by Jermaine Oneal because he was out of shape or poorly conditioned? Was DWade's shoulder damaged because he was poorly conditioned?

Maybe he wasn't in Olympic Sprinter shape, but when he was so "fat and poorly conditioned," he led the Lakers to a 3 peat while being the Finals MVP all 3 times. Conversely, in his years with the Heat, he's been clearly better conditioned coming into camp, and has been less effective. Conicindentally, the rule changes took place around that time.

He didn't neglect to expand his game, as some people have said. He's hired shooting coaches, strength coaches, etc. to help him develop into a better player. Maybe he didn't spend hours in the arena like Kobe, but he didn't spend any time in a Colorado Court room, either. And I never said there weren't other players who did good for their community. I just said that it's sad that everyone beats up on Shaq for his "poor conditioning" and "laziness", but not much of a big deal is made for any of the positive that he has done.

If you remember correctly, going back to his days at Cole H.S., he had decent range on his jumper. He was a lot smaller back then. He also was a very good ballhandler (watch the McDonald's game when he was a Sr.). However, he has repeatedly said that he wanted to become a low post, back to the basket center and spent all of his time working on becoming just that. Why spend time practicing 3 pointers or 15 ft. jumpers if banging down low produced you 3 titles in a row? I seem to see a lot of people criticizing him for not doing what they would have wanted him to do with his career. Why don't you just focus on the positives. He has plenty of them to discuss! Why should he develop a 15 ft shot if the whole system revolves around him being 7 ft. from the basket? Then you would have to reinvent the playbook and change the whole game plan. Why would PJ do this after his 3rd champioinship? That would be (Please Use More Appropriate Word). You dominate the league since you came into it, and now, all of a sudden, you should change it because a couple of people on a forum say you should? I'm sure after his 4th title, he just figured he was okay with his current offensive arsenal!

Return to The General Board