Is Andrew Bynum the MVP of the LA Lakers

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Is Andrew Bynum the MVP of the LA Lakers 

Post#1 » by B-Scott » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:01 am

From a impact standpoint.

1.High Percentage shooting - He shoots 62% from the field

2. Rebounding

3. Defense - The Laker perimiter players are able to play more aggressive out on the perimiter and take more chances because they know they have a shot blocker inside the paint.

4. In the post, teammates are open because of him weather its a guy slashing to the basket and Bynum finds him or Fisher spotting up for 3.

With Bynum in the lineup,the Lakers are a much more efficient offensive team that gets high percentage, quality shot attempts.

Now they are back to relying on long distance jump shots
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#2 » by Kobay » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:03 am

Defeinitly he is mvp but so is kobe because without kobe you don't have that leverage of constantly drawing defenders and scoring. You have Kobe and shaq version 2 with better free throw shooting.

THe fact is Lakers have nobody and had no body in the post and we got andrew a very good center simply as that.
Taiwan Killa
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Taiwan Killa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:08 am

it goes

1. Kobe
2. Bynum

3. Odom
4. Fisher
5. Farmar
and the rest
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#4 » by Kobay » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:10 am

BTW Odom was great tonight if he can continue this we still have a chance and maybe webber signing.

Kobe can win you games single handidly.

Adding capable center you have a champ contender. Last time I checked Kobe + Big = championship
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 585

Post#5 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:15 am

As good as Kobe is, yes.

Honestly, there aren't many players in the league that impact THEIR team like Bynum does. We ROUTED four teams by an average of 23 before his injury. The game after, on rest, we got into OT against the friggin' Sonics and Nicky C has a career night.

The Suns are lucky we didn't have him tonight either. Replace Kwame with him and we have that game easily.
exkonvict
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#6 » by exkonvict » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:16 am

Kwame Brown.

/endthread.
D-Wade
Banned User

Post#7 » by D-Wade » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 am

This thread says a lot about a kid who is playing on the same team as the best basketball player since Michael Jordan. Bynum has an incredibly bright future, man....
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#8 » by HarlemHeat37 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:18 am

no..

this is the same thing with the Warriors IMO..Stephen Jackson was considered an MVP candidate early, but that doesn't make sense to me..they struggled when he was out, but Baron is still the best player..wouldn't they have done just as bad with Baron out?..

so in this case, the Lakers would be worse without their BEST player, who carries them a lot of the time..
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 585

Post#9 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:26 am

Kobay wrote:Adding capable center you have a champ contender. Last time I checked Kobe + Big = championship

I fully expect the Lakers to represent the West next season. Farmar will be ready to start, Bynum WILL be AT LEAST a 18/12/2.5blk talent, and I'm sure we can lure a vet or two. I'd give my right nut for Kurt Thomas.
FANOFNBA
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#10 » by FANOFNBA » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:30 am

not really. replace bynum with tyson chandler or kaman and the lakers dont skip a beat. bynum is an awesome player but lets not get ahead of our selves
K0BE-24
Senior

Post#11 » by K0BE-24 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:37 am

b-scott you are so pathetic . . .
Taiwan Killa
Banned User

Post#12 » by Taiwan Killa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:38 am

FANOFNBA wrote:not really. replace bynum with tyson chandler or kaman and the lakers dont skip a beat. bynum is an awesome player but lets not get ahead of our selves

The guys is so versatile though.

He'll give you the alleyoops and the putbooks but he'll also

Set up in the high post and pass to cutters in the triangle

Anchor your defense

Defend the best opposing big with his length

Score one on one

Open up Kobe and the shooters

Creat alot of space on the pick and roll for the ball handler.
FANOFNBA
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#13 » by FANOFNBA » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:42 am

Taiwan Killa wrote:
FANOFNBA wrote:not really. replace bynum with tyson chandler or kaman and the lakers dont skip a beat. bynum is an awesome player but lets not get ahead of our selves

The guys is so versatile though.

He'll give you the alleyoops and the putbooks but he'll also

Set up in the high post and pass to cutters in the triangle

Anchor your defense

Defend the best opposing big with his length

Score one on one

Open up Kobe and the shooters

Creat alot of space on the pick and roll for the ball handler.

I dont disagree. but if the lakers had chandler or kaman, they would be just as good.
Taiwan Killa
Banned User

Post#14 » by Taiwan Killa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:59 am

FANOFNBA wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I dont disagree. but if the lakers had chandler or kaman, they would be just as good.

Kaman I know is a good scorer but I don't know about his passing.

Also isn't Chandler just a garbage man/dunker?
B-Scott
Head Coach

Post#15 » by B-Scott » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:00 am

K0BE-24 wrote:b-scott you are so pathetic . . .

The Lakers were not struggling to beat Memphis and Seattle with Bynum on the floor or falling down by 19 against Phoenix.

The Suns were the ones trying to not get blown out

Bynum has more impact on the game and i think that will be proven over the next 25 games
AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#16 » by AKBlazerFan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:57 am

So are the Lakers better without Kobe, or without Bynum? Cause without Kobe, Bynum wouldnt have it as easy as he does. Kobe can still carry a team. Id still say Kobe is MVP of the Lakers.
incontrol__
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#17 » by incontrol__ » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:58 am

Lakers haven't had a whole lot of time yet to adjust to life without Bynum.

When you lose the closest thing you have to a legit 'defensive anchor', your second option, and pretty much your sole post presence, of course it's going to take a while to adjust on both sides of the court.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#18 » by Showtime:Part2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:31 am

when his teammates are good, kaman isn't.
Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 50

Post#19 » by Myth_Breaker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:58 am

B-Scott wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Lakers were not struggling to beat Memphis and Seattle with Bynum on the floor or falling down by 19 against Phoenix.

The Suns were the ones trying to not get blown out

Bynum has more impact on the game and i think that will be proven over the next 25 games

Honestly, Kobe-24 is right: your claims are hopeless (not for the first time, I might add). I may apply such faulty reasoning also to the Cavs: they started winning only after Vareajo returned, so OMG: Vareajo is their MVP, not LeBron!
Everybody implying in your way that Bynum at this stage is more important for the Lakers than Kobe (i.e. Kobe-less Lakers would win more than Bynum-less squad) simply doesn't know basketball as much as he thinks.

But wait: so it's not Odom who is Lakers MVP? Maybe the Lakers board read the signs incorrectly and from your part it was all the time not pro-Odom obsession, but anti-Kobe obsession. ;-) Now you're switching to Andrew and we'll have to suffer your endless ramblings on how Bynum is underutilized and it's all KB's fault? :banghead:
http://wiltfan.tripod.com
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
"So what, son, did your Poles help you?" YES, WE DID!
***** *** Kukiza i KonfederacjÄ™!
B-Scott
Head Coach

Post#20 » by B-Scott » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Myth Breaker -

The dropoff from Bynum to Kwame is Equal to the dropoff from Kobe to Sasha if not more. At least Sasha contributes on the offensive end when Kobe is out.

Bynum provides the Lakers high percentage offense and he was a big impact on the defensive end.

Now without him they are back to shooting a lot of contested jumpers, struggling to score,and they have no prescence on D inside the paint.

C Bynum
PF Lamar
SF Luke
SG Sasha
PG Fisher or Farmar

This squad is better then

Kwame, Lamar, Luke, Kobe, Fisher or Farmar

Return to The General Board