What the hell is wrong with Larry Hughes?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#21 » by a-rod » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:31 am

NurbekIL wrote:Larry only plays during contract years

actually he still didn't fully recover from the hand injury.
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Uncooked
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Uncooked » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:47 am

He shoots the basketball, that is what is wrong with him.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#23 » by INKtastic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:58 am

Larry's game certainly has fallen off since the stats he put up in DC.

Part of it is to be expected. The pace is faster in DC and they didn't really focus on defense. Sure, Larry was first team all defense that year, but part of that was he had the green light to gamble for steals. In Cleveland, that sort of thing is discouraged in favor of working hard as a team for stops.

Part of it is due to injuries such as

- The broken finger on his shooting hand that he played through despite it being so bad he had to move it back in place with his other hand after he shot, surgery and resulting loose screw that required a followup surgery. The finger will never be the same.

- the severe ankle sprain last year that he came back too soon from. Playing injured caused him to favor the leg and caused problems with his other leg, which also likely led to the plantar facia tear during the playoffs last year.

Part of it is due to things off the court, including his brother dying during the playoffs a year and a half ago and his wife nearly dying from a brain aneurysm this past offseason.

To top it all off, he got injured again right out of the gate this year. Another leg injury.

He's been through a lot mentally and physically since he came to cleveland. He's lost his lift and he's a bit rusty from all of the time off.

But he's finding ways to contribute. Since Larry was put back in the starting lineup, we've gone 9-2 and our defense is vastly improved. And his offensive game is slowly starting to come around with scattered solid games that seem to be getting more common.

He'll likely never be at the level it was in DC, but I think in a few weeks he'll be playing quite a bit better offensively than he has thus far this year.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
TheKingNbooby
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#24 » by TheKingNbooby » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:00 am

He doesnt have to play like a all star player for us to like him agian, just dont go 9 games in a row with 8 or less points on 38% or worse. As long as he averages double figs i wont hate him as much as i do.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#25 » by L&H_05 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:17 am

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Well he has this newly found disease called suckiness.
Drew Gooden is contagious...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#26 » by cdubbz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:39 am

its funny...ever since larry has been in the league everyone thinks larry is a combo gaurd and i think on every team hes been on theyve played him good minutes at the point gaurd.

When he came over to golden state i remember he burst out scoring 22 ppg his first half season and like 19 the next. i seriously thought he was going to be a huge building block along with antawn jamison for our team. later we started playing him at pg and it was downhill for him on our team since.

like all overpaid players...hes better as a role player. if he got paid 4-5 million then he would be a good player as weird as that sounds.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to The General Board