the refs, blowing whistles by expectation

rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

the refs, blowing whistles by expectation 

Post#1 » by rockybalboa11 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:33 am

what exactly do these refs go by when they make calls?

i'm watching the last couple minutes of the nuggets twolves game

good lord its been horrible.

camby blatantly knocked a rebound out of al jeff's hands and they gave it to denver

iverson took two steps without dribbling on an inbounds play where there "should have been" an instant foul by the twolves and they didn't call it
wtf ???

i mean, this isn't specific to this game. its been this whole season and its only getting worse.

the refs are at an all time low in my opinion. its refreshing to watch college ball and see things get called WHEN THEY HAPPEN. not when they SHOULD happen.
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#2 » by MagicFan3 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 am

The refs in the NBA are terrible. It's not even worth trying to rationalize their decision-making, because there is no rationale behind it.
lbcbcp
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#3 » by lbcbcp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 am

I agree with you man. I didn't watch that game but going by some of the games I seen this year, the refs have been pretty bad. NBA seriously needs to look at this situation.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#4 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 am

The last play where Al was going for the rebound and it got knocked away, it's off Al? Everyone knew it wasn't off him, yet the refs don't give a ****, they like to kick teams when they are down. The wolves deserved this game, too bad the refs have Nugget jerseys under the jail suit.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#5 » by YiYaoYue » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:39 am

I'm a firm believer that refs should have a set quota of how many mistakes they can make on a call and if they do not make that quota they do not get to officiate the next game (or several game) and will not be paid for the missed game. And obviously if they continue the trend they should be fired. I think refs are way too secured in their job so they don't go into a game concentrating, go off and start doing bets, and play favorites.
Sasha Vujacic = The Phail Machine = The Ring Blocker

Trade Sasha before he ruins the Lakers next season.
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by rockybalboa11 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:40 am

i really don't think your plan would work yiyaoyue

they're unionized as far as i know

edit: although, it would be awesome.
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by rockybalboa11 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:44 am

something i think that would be cool is having a fan screencap the games they watch on the broadband LP or cable LP if they have a TV capture card

compile all the horribly blatant calls right in front of refs (hundreds over the course of the season i would wager) and mail multiple copies into the league office

maybe attached with a letter that says "this is the reason we don't watch anymore" so it gets some attention

p.s. make the first two the ones in my signature :-D
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#8 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:47 am

Watch every away game for the Wolves, it would be more than enough tape to show how badly the wolves get killed by the refs.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#9 » by BigA » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:47 am

I'm really surprised and disappointed that Stern hasn't made a serious effort to restore confidence in the officiating in the wake of the Donaghy thing. I would be surprised if he's the only one. It would be interesting to track O/U and spreads, questionable officiating, and who is working certain games. I wonder if the NBA is even doing that.

Maybe the fact that it's a union ties Stern's hands somewhat.

The other thing is that the media doesn't show any interest. Of course, now ESPN is a business partner of the NBA, owning partial equity in NBA China. So they have even less reason to be objective journalists.

My prediction is that it will be like the steroid thing in baseball. A few more refs will be caught fixing games, leading to court cases and grand juries, then Congress will get involved. At that point the media will come in and be SHOCKED, and the NBA will be in for a rough couple of years.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#10 » by hermes » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:48 am

uh
they call em like they see em?
MagicFan3
Banned User

Post#11 » by MagicFan3 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:48 am

rockybalboa11 wrote:p.s. make the first two the ones in my signature :-D

Even as a Magic fan I can say I was disturbed by that call.
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by YiYaoYue » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:51 am

BigA wrote:I'm really surprised and disappointed that Stern hasn't made a serious effort to restore confidence in the officiating in the wake of the Donaghy thing. I would be surprised if he's the only one.

I believe Donaghy was quoted admitting his guilt as well as saying that he wasn't the only one.
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by rockybalboa11 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:51 am

hermes wrote:uh
they call em like they see em?

if we were to believe that, some refs must suffer an array of eye diseases
kandiking
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by kandiking » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:53 am

why is there not instant replay in the last minute of games? seriously why is this not an issue?
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
MagicFan3
Banned User

Post#15 » by MagicFan3 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:55 am

kandiking wrote:why is there not instant replay in the last minute of games? seriously why is this not an issue?

They would just screw it up twice then.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,617

Post#16 » by shrink » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:01 am

Donaghy's link with organized crime shook the NBA's trust that their refs would stop making calls like they were instructed to do .. based on jersey sales.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#17 » by NetsForce » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:20 am

Where have you been? Didn't you see the Heat - Mavericks finals?
Frozen316
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by Frozen316 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:27 am

I record every Wolves game I watch, including tonight's. Just so I can re-live the horror.
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by rockybalboa11 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:31 am

NetsForce wrote:Where have you been? Didn't you see the Heat - Mavericks finals?

i agreed with a lot of the calls made in those finals. regardless of what mavs fans may say, dwade got hacked on those drives in the final minutes.

but what i'm saying is, its getting worse.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#20 » by Teen Girl Squad » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:37 am

I think the refs "ineptitude" is overrated in general. Watching all different levels of basketball confirms that basketball is one of the toughest sports to call. That said, I really do think they need to evaluate some of the calls. Mostly in regards to impediment, by which I mean, how much a foul effected the shot, dribble, pass etc... not necessarily doing things like removing cheap off the ball contact fouls. This still has issues (aka fouls that only get called in a shot is missed/made) but in general I believe the calls are fairly consistent (relative to basketball).

Return to The General Board